Channel Tunnel Fire

You'd have thought they would have had something like that in place, obviously not though.

Its a shame they didnt learn much for the last fire that happened in the tunnel.

Fingers crossed that the tunnel opens again this weekend, if not on Monday.

Its a shame they didnt learn much for the last fire that happened in the tunnel.

I think the problem is that the channel tunnel is somewhat unique, being so long and under water for most of it, so I suspect that they have learnt from previous fires and are dealing with it as best they can.

Unfortunately, these things happen occasionally, but generally they have a very good record. As far as I know, they've only had about 3 fires in the 14 years or whatever since it opened. When the previous 2 occurred, the tunnel has been back up and running in some capacity very quickly, so hopefully this will be the case again.

They have learnt loads from the last major fire they had. I'm pretty sure they will have a sprinkler system in place but when it is a chemical fire, water is never enough.

I'm sure the 1996 fire had the tunnel out of action for 2-3 weeks.

I pretty sure they were only using one tunnel then due to the damage caused.

From the Eurostar Website

Due to the incident involving a Eurotunnel shuttle train in the Channel Tunnel on Thursday 11 September, Eurostar is unable to operate any services today, Friday 12 September.

Until Eurotunnel and the emergency services have undertaken their assessment of the incident, Eurostar is unable to say when services will resume.

Eurostar must await permission from Eurotunnel before it is able to re-start operations.

Once the single tunnel that is unaffected by the fire is re-opened, Eurostar hopes to begin a limited service with longer journey times.

Eurostar is therefore advising all travellers who hold Eurostar tickets for today, Saturday 13 September and Sunday 14 September that they should seek alternative means of making their journeys.

Travellers holding tickets for travel today, Saturday and Sunday are also able to exchange their tickets for travel at a later date, or get a full refund.

Eurostar will issue a further update when more information becomes available.

I really need to know what is going to be happening on Monday!!
Customer service center is now closed!!:confused3 :confused3 :confused3
I can't believe it

I really need to know what is going to be happening on Monday!!
Customer service center is now closed!!:confused3 :confused3 :confused3
I can't believe it

Ring first thing tomorrow, also have you thought about getting a ferry instead or a flight.

Fingers crossed its re-opened on Monday for you.

Just one of those day. I had to spend £700 on easyjet flights for tuesday because of this XL sham!!

Hi,
We have just recieved an email from Eurotunnel:

Due to an incident at Eurotunnel on Thursday 11 September, we regret to advise you that our Passenger Service will be severely disrupted on Monday 15th and Tuesday 16th September. There will be a limited service available with only one departure every two hours. To avoid severe disruptions to your journey, we therefore strongly recommend that you make alternative travel arrangements. Should you decide to maintain your booking with us, please expect severe delays. Whilst we endeavour to resume our normal service as soon as possible, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. To request a refund for your booked travel, please send an email stating your name, address and booking reference number to mailto:sales.support@eurotunnel.com To rebook your travel for an alternative date, please call our Customer Contact Centre at your convenience on 08705 35 35 35. With our sincere apologies,

We are now booked on Ferry!!
At least it's sorted now.
I wonder how long it will take for them to refund me?
Sarah

I hope this sorts itself out, this ha been a really crappy day for travellers.

Big hugs for everyone :grouphug:

Just read this on www.eurotunnel.com

Travel information for Monday 15 and Tuesday 16 September

Our Passenger Service will be severely disrupted on Monday 15 and Tuesday 16 September. There will be a limited service available with only one departure every two hours. To avoid severe disruptions to your journey, we therefore strongly recommend that you make alternative travel arrangements. Should you decide to maintain your booking with us, please expect a disruptive service and severe delays.

Emma, I'm sure it will get better over the next week

Well we were meant to be travelling on the direct Eurostar train on Sunday morning, and although last night they were still officially saying that the tunnel might re-open by then, I was watching the price of flights to Paris go up and up on the web and getting worried that by the time they made a decision, it might be too late to book any other alternatives.

So I spent most of this morning searching for flights and eventually got us on Air France from Heathrow for just over £500. I'm glad I did, because this evening you can't get on these flights for love nor money. Disney say we'll get the cost of the transport back if we post them our train tickets, but we'll have to make up the difference between that and our flights ourselves. And we can't get a refund on our Saturday night Travelodge at Euston because we booked it on a non-refundable special deal...

The irony of this is that we always fly to Paris, but decided to take Eurostar for the first time this trip, because we thought it would be easier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter