Channel Tunnel Fire

Well we were meant to be travelling on the direct Eurostar train on Sunday morning, and although last night they were still officially saying that the tunnel might re-open by then, I was watching the price of flights to Paris go up and up on the web and getting worried that by the time they made a decision, it might be too late to book any other alternatives.

So I spent most of this morning searching for flights and eventually got us on Air France from Heathrow for just over £500. I'm glad I did, because this evening you can't get on these flights for love nor money. Disney say we'll get the cost of the transport back if we post them our train tickets, but we'll have to make up the difference between that and our flights ourselves. And we can't get a refund on our Saturday night Travelodge at Euston because we booked it on a non-refundable special deal...

The irony of this is that we always fly to Paris, but decided to take Eurostar for the first time this trip, because we thought it would be easier!

Oh dear - glad you got something else booked though. You deserve to really enjoy your trip after all that :cheer2:

I feel so sorry for the people affected by all this. We fly out on Sunday afternoon...thank goodness DD said "No" to the tunnel!!! We thought about going by train.
I hope all concerned get to their destination safely.

The irony of this is that we always fly to Paris, but decided to take Eurostar for the first time this trip, because we thought it would be easier!
Oh no. At least you will still be able to go. I hope you have an extra-special magical holiday to make up for this. :wizard:

Breaking news on Sky...

Eurotunnel say undamaged tunnel ready to reopen and traffic should resume progressively....

I'm relieved to say the least lol.

Breaking news on Sky, tunnel open within the hour for commercial use & 6am in morning for passengers.

Just had a look on Eurostar site, but latest update was 16:30.

The guy on Sky news said earlier that its only passengers who use the Eurotunnel with there car will be using the tunnel no Eurostar passengers.

Hope its sorted soon, because i can't take the suspense anymore.

Hope it will be sorted for you in time. My friend has just lost her holiday as she booked & paid in full last Sunday with XL, feel gutted for her and her family.

Just read this on the Eurostar website. While this isn't affecting us as we travel in December, have been watching :surfweb: and keeping up to date as we do travel a bit and know how stressful it is when there are problems with travel arrangements with delays and cancellations and have really been feeling for everyone affected by this. So this looks like it is good news for all travelling by Eurostar to Disneyland from this weekend. :cool1:

"Eurostar has today resumed a limited service through the Channel Tunnel. Trains are operating through the single tunnel that is unaffected by the fire.

Eurostar is operating a temporary, reduced timetable. It expects to run up to 12 trains each way between London and Paris, up to six trains each way between London and Brussels, and the daily service each way between London and Disneyland Resort Paris. Trains will also serve Ashford International, Ebbsfleet International and Lille.

Ticket holders should turn up at the normal time for their scheduled service, and Eurostar will seek to accommodate them on the first available train. This is likely to mean longer than normal waiting times before departure. Journey times will also be longer than normal.

Inevitably, there will be further alterations to this limited timetable, as Eurostar adjusts its services to match the reduced tunnel capacity.

Eurostar will continue to liaise closely with Eurotunnel, the operator of the Channel Tunnel, in order to seek to provide a reliable service for travellers.

In the meantime, Eurostar thanks travellers for their patience while all efforts are made to provide further improvements to the service."

I am so relieved! We are back on the train people! :goodvibes

:hug:

I'm so relieved aswell, it would of been shocking if they reduced the 1 Disney service a day...

Let us know Wishspirit when you get back how it went etc and if you had to wait long for the train etc.:)

Have a great time trip!:wizard:

:hug:

I'm so relieved aswell, it would of been shocking if they reduced the 1 Disney service a day...

Let us know Wishspirit when you get back how it went etc and if you had to wait long for the train etc.:)

Have a great time trip!:wizard:

I'm slightly surprised that they didn't to be honest. It's very easy by all accounts to change at Lille (and is an official Eurostar way of getting there), so I did think they might do that. I'm glad they haven't though...

I'm slightly surprised that they didn't to be honest. It's very easy by all accounts to change at Lille (and is an official Eurostar way of getting there), so I did think they might do that. I'm glad they haven't though...

I don't see the point of them having to do that because once the train is through the tunnel its ok to continue its journey as normal.

I don't see the point of them having to do that because once the train is through the tunnel its ok to continue its journey as normal.
Yeah, and having lodas of travellers at lille trying to get onto french trains would cause even more disruption IMO.

I didn't think DLRP would be dropped, as its a big money maker and theres only one a day.

Depends on where is better to them for sending people at the other end. I thought maybe it might have been better to Eurostar to have the extra train to Paris or Brussels because they are probably slightly more popular.

I suppose theres more options for people to travel onto places from Paris and Lille rather than DLP

I suppose theres more options for people to travel onto places from Paris and Lille rather than DLP

Thank you Small World - you've explained what I was trying to say much better than I could. I'd add Brussels to that list as well though :thumbsup2

Alternatively, they might have had higher priority to trains coming back from the continent because they need to get the people back who got stuck at DLEP / Paris etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter