Character attendant

Okay, well I'll be straight with you. Being outside in the sun can be brutal, but there is usually alot of shade in character locations. In merchandise you are just as likely to be working outside as you are inside because you rotate in and out. The thing about the heat is though is, you get used to it. You really do.

I mean no offense or anything of course, but you really can't get a solid picture of what a character attendant is/does in just a five minute observation. You're right, we do answer alot of questions and we do take alot of pictures. But what you maybe didn't see is that we have free reign to talk to guests about anything while they are standing in line, and we also get the pleasure of playing around with the characters. Every day you work is what you make of it.

If you decide that you are going to just stand there and "guard" your character (as it seems that particular character attendant did), then chances are you aren't going to enjoy yourself. It's when you open up and decide to start to have some fun, you start to enjoy yourself a whole lot. Believe me, if you are working with a character that has alot of energy, it rubs off on you. The same works vise versa also...if you have alot of energy, it rubs off onto your character and you have alot of fun as a result.

Personally, I love talking to the guests that come in my line whether its hot or not. I'm hot, their hot...it's something we have in common, we talk about it ever so briefly and you move on and forget all about it. It's a fact of life whatever you do. You can't let the heat get to you is what I am essentially saying. If you're hot, imagine how hot your character is. Yet, a lot of characters have fun during their sets no matter how hot or cold it is.

Thanks for responding to my posts. I think since you have actually been a character attendant that your opinion is valid and counts. I absolutely know that watching for 5 mins. could not possiblely give me a complete accurate picture of what the role entails. I guess with me personally, I was extremely bothered by the heat. The thought of being out there baking and sweating did not look appealing to me. But that is just me! I'm sure others would not mind but I realized how bothered I am by standing in the sun all day. I'm sure it's a fun position to those who can withstand the Florida heat. BTW do the characters have any type of cooling device in their costumes? I don't know how they do it!!!

Thanks for responding to my posts. I think since you have actually been a character attendant that your opinion is valid and counts. I absolutely know that watching for 5 mins. could not possiblely give me a complete accurate picture of what the role entails. I guess with me personally, I was extremely bothered by the heat. The thought of being out there baking and sweating did not look appealing to me. But that is just me! I'm sure others would not mind but I realized how bothered I am by standing in the sun all day. I'm sure it's a fun position to those who can withstand the Florida heat. BTW do the characters have any type of cooling device in their costumes? I don't know how they do it!!!

Nope, they do not. And that was probably the #1 question I was asked. HA! Like I could answer that.

Well I have never been to DL before in my life, but based on the quick google search I did on the position, it looks like it's the same thing as a Character Attendant at WDW.

As for getting into a face character role, I don't know too much because I never auditioned for any character role. I would say that being a character attendant gives you a good foot in the door for costumed character roles for sure, but not to sure about face character roles. Face character roles depend on so much more...first of all, looks (facial structure, etc...), your speaking ability, mannerisms, and oh so much more I'm sure. So I really don't know what to tell you in this regard

Thank you. :)

It's when you open up and decide to start to have some fun, you start to enjoy yourself a whole lot. Believe me, if you are working with a character that has alot of energy, it rubs off on you. The same works vise versa also...if you have alot of energy, it rubs off onto your character and you have alot of fun as a result.

Personally, I love talking to the guests that come in my line whether its hot or not. I'm hot, their hot...it's something we have in common, we talk about it ever so briefly and you move on and forget all about it. It's a fact of life whatever you do. You can't let the heat get to you is what I am essentially saying. If you're hot, imagine how hot your character is. Yet, a lot of characters have fun during their sets no matter how hot or cold it is.

I could not agree more! What made my Crystal Palace bearable was my Captain (the main attendent walking around). If any of you have worked with Joseph...i've been with him at LTT and CP a few times, he is just the sweetest!

BTW do the characters have any type of cooling device in their costumes? I don't know how they do it!!!

You would not believe how many parents I've had whisper in my ear that they hope I have a fan in there! It never fails to bring a smile to my stifiling, sweat-drenched self. ;)

I could not agree more! What made my Crystal Palace bearable was my Captain (the main attendent walking around). If any of you have worked with Joseph...i've been with him at LTT and CP a few times, he is just the sweetest!

You would not believe how many parents I've had whisper in my ear that they hope I have a fan in there! It never fails to bring a smile to my stifiling, sweat-drenched self. ;)

I'm not sure, but I think I know who he is. The one time I ate at LTT last year, the captain there was Dave (REALLY nice guy). I got to work with him at HSM in Tomorrowland.

I just got my packet in the mail today and I will be a character attendant.
My question was "What would you say to a child you is afraid of Mickey?"

What kind of shoes are the character attendants allowed to wear, the black ones or the solid colored tennis shoes? I would also like to have these ready when I get there (on May 16th, hooray). The costume is a yellow polo shirt with khaki shorts right? So I would be able to wear a white undershirt?

What kind of shoes are the character attendants allowed to wear, the black ones or the solid colored tennis shoes? I would also like to have these ready when I get there (on May 16th, hooray). The costume is a yellow polo shirt with khaki shorts right? So I would be able to wear a white undershirt?

Congrats!! You will have a blast! The shoes for attendants are black, solid style shoes. I just wore black sneakers. The costume is a yellow/white shirt with black bottoms. You can wear a white undershirt. And I too check in May 16. Hope to see you there.

Congrats!! You will have a blast! The shoes for attendants are black, solid style shoes. I just wore black sneakers. The costume is a yellow/white shirt with black bottoms. You can wear a white undershirt. And I too check in May 16. Hope to see you there.

Hey neat, we might be roomies.
I have more Disney Look questions actually.

Do the business shoes (like for Traditions and classes) have to be one color or can I wear black shoes with white trim or colors that coordinate with the outfit. What if the shoe is gray and black? Or cream and brown? Do we have to be in business Disney Look when we check in, or the regular look (without tattoos or body piercings).

Are you not allowed to have any printed things, or just large prints? How big does a print have to be for it to be considered large? Is the definition "classic" very limited? They go over the importance of the Disney look so much I feel I must make sure of its range before I go buy appropriate clothes.

Hey neat, we might be roomies.
I have more Disney Look questions actually.

Do the business shoes (like for Traditions and classes) have to be one color or can I wear black shoes with white trim or colors that coordinate with the outfit. What if the shoe is gray and black? Or cream and brown? Do we have to be in business Disney Look when we check in, or the regular look (without tattoos or body piercings).

Are you not allowed to have any printed things, or just large prints? How big does a print have to be for it to be considered large? Is the definition "classic" very limited? They go over the importance of the Disney look so much I feel I must make sure of its range before I go buy appropriate clothes.

Here is the information for shoes for Traditons, ect:
Footwear
Dress shoes or boots in good business taste are required. Classic dress shoes are permitted to have an open toe, open heel or a slingback (strap around the heel). Athletic shoes, sandals and western boots are not permitted. When wearing a skirt or dress, hosiery must be worn at all times and may be sheer or opaque in subdued shades. If pants are worn, hosiery and socks are optional.

For checking in, you have to have the Disney look for hair and appearance, but clothes can be casual.

And here is shoes for costumed CMs:
Footwear
The required shoes for a costumed area differ based on the role and the theming of the costume. Cast Members should check with management prior to purchasing their work shoes and hosiery to ensure proper style and color. It is recommended that slip-resistant rubber-soled shoes be worn in food areas as a safety precaution. Approved shoes and socks are required the first day in costume.
For areas requiring a dress shoe (most skirted costumes), women are required to provide their own leather pump-style shoes with a plain toe (no loafers, buckles or ornamentation). Flats are permitted, but platform shoes are not. Shoes should be polished and kept in good repair. Suede and canvas are not permitted. Unless otherwise specified, flesh-tone hosiery is required at all times.
In areas where a leather athletic shoe is required (with the exception of Disney's Wide World of Sports), shoes should be solid in color with no contrasting logos or markings. Suede and canvas are not permitted. Socks worn with a costume should also be solid in color with no logos or markings and must extend at least to the top of the ankle. Shoes and socks must be clean and in good condition.
While working at Disney's Wide World of Sports, a white or black leather lace-up athletic shoe is required. Multicolored stripes or logos are permitted on the shoe. Extreme styles such as platform shoes or shoes with lights, neon colors, wheels, etc. are not permitted.
In certain limited areas, a role may require (or have an additional option for) shoes such as hiking boots, solid black beach sandals (lifeguards), steel-toe shoes, culinary clogs, etc. For specific guidelines on these shoes, please check with the Costuming area at your work location.

Congrats, and welcome to to the wonderful world of character attendants :) Perhaps I'll be seeing you around when you come down.

And thank you Joanna for taking care of all the Disney Look questions here!

Did you say that you were going to do custodial for this program? Are you going to be picking up attendant shifts?

I will be mostly be doing custodial. But I plan on picking up as many attendant shifts as possible.

Joanna, how hard is it to pick up shifts for different roles? I got quick service F&B, how would i get trained if i wanted to pick up a shift in a different role?

Joanna, how hard is it to pick up shifts for different roles? I got quick service F&B, how would i get trained if i wanted to pick up a shift in a different role?

Some roles do not require training. So you can pick those up easily. One of my favorites is PAC (parade audience control). If you can get one of those, I would definitely do it. They are so much fun.

all this information is GREAT! i'm heading down in august to be a character attendant and i could not be more excited. thanks for all your words of wisdom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter