Cheap walkie talkies?

joshua4

DIS Veteran
Help -- where is the best place to buy inexpensive walkie talkies? Is there any feature that I need to have to make it worth while to buy these?

I had a pair of the Cobra Walkie talkies. I never could get them to work in the parks though. All I picked up were conversation from a billion other people. Last year we just used our cell phones when we separated in the parks. (We have regional family plan where Florida is a local call)

Oh....I forgot...we leave the phones off and trade voice mail. :) So no ringing phones.

I'm sure there is a brand and model of walkie talkie that will work in the park. I hope you find one.:)

they are the audiovox brand that come with a re charger for $59 a pair. Make sure you get the 38 sub channels. Even though we picked up a conversation or two, it was well worth the money. And the charger is great. No need to replace batteries everyday.

I agree with gepetto--we have the motorola walkie talkies and they stink-- while in Magic Kingdom, I kept picking up other people conversations and couldn't connect with my husband because people cut right in. I hated them so we ended up just picking a time and meeting spot whenever we split up. I was sitting next to a child who was fooling around with his walkie talkie pretending to be the one the people on the walkie talkies were trying to hook up with and all his parents said was--that's not very nice confusing them and then they just laughed. It did seem like everyone had the motorola ones--we purchased them at best buy for 29.99 a pair, I guess we should have went with a better set!

Make sure you get one with sub-channels! Anything less will be totally useless with cross-talk. Even with sub-channels we would get some moron kids who would start talking on our channel and saying things to annoy us. We would swich to a pre-arranged channel when that happened.

The Radio Shack FRS radio's have 14 channels,38 sub channels,PLUS a Squawk feature so you only hear your own radio's.

Originally posted by cheeringmom
they are the audiovox brand that come with a re charger for $59 a pair. Make sure you get the 38 sub channels. Even though we picked up a conversation or two, it was well worth the money. And the charger is great. No need to replace batteries everyday.

we've got the same ones and they're great!! Haven't had a chance to use them at Disney yet but we do use them at the mall and camping. I would recommend them to anyone on a budget.

We had friends use their walkie talkies (the ones with sub channels) at the parks and had probblems reaching each other even within the same park. If hubby was at Tomorrowland and wife was at Adventureland they couldn't communicate. Also couldn't communicate around the lake at Epcot. The said if they were just next to each other (and even England to France was too far away) they had problems connecting.

We used our cell phones and had great reception. We only needed them a few times as we didn't seperate much. We did keep tones on though, but switched them to Disney tones. I have Bippity Boppity Boo (which is always the one I use) and dh used the Winnie The Pooh tone.

:earsgirl:
52 more days!

We found our cell phones totally useless in Disney. Every time we went to use them we got SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE. We are with a very large company so it shouldnt have been a problem. What I was told when i called and complained is that very often the electronics around and in the buildings blocks the signal.

We finally went out during that trip and bought the Motorola TalkAbouts with the subchannels. We LOVE them!!! They worked very very well in the park. We bought an inexpensive Uniden for my son (7) in case he got seperated from us (always my biggest fear even though we are hypervigillant about watching him) and finally ended up with one of us using his and giving him one of our Motorolla's. The Uniden has a scanning feature that went off at the drop of a hat even though it was supposed to have been shut off. He would end up on a totally different channel than we were constantly. Recently Office Depot had one of the Motorolla's on sale for 36.99 so we got one of those for him. The Uniden we will loan to our inlaws during our Christmas trip so they can contact us but will warn them to check the channel before they transmit. We rarely had interference with other conversations but when we did we just switched to another subchannel.

We use these not only at Disney but pretty much everywhere LOL. My dh is a good one for disappearing in a store and leaving me talking to some stranger behind me thinking its him ROFL!!!!

good luck, we found out that cheap = cheap as far as disney goes...static and hundreds of other guest...spend a bit, or rent them...it's worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter