Checking Car Seats as Luggage?

WhiteRabbit

Earning My Ears
Has anyone checked their children's car booster seats as luggage on an airplane? We will be spending 9 days at WDW and have decide to rent a car for the entire stay, but with two car seats for our kids added in, it would add an extra $100 to the price of the car rental. We could buy 2 car boosters for that much!

We have booster seats in the car we are taking to the airport, so it would be no big deal to remove them and bring them along, but I was just wondering if the airlines treat these the same as checked luggage. Also, do you need to put them in something, like a box or large suitcase?

Thanks in advance.

We checked our carseat at the gate once and as luggage once. I was worried about damage or it getting lost, but the airline said if that happened they HAVE to provide an immediate replacement for you because carseats are required by law. We didn't have any problems thankfully. Although, we had one nervous moment while waiting to board the plane we saw the luggage carrier pulling up to the plane with our carseat and DH's golf clubs on top of the little cart. I had visions of them forgetting to load them on the plane and the luggage carrier driving away with me waving from the window, helpless to stop it........:rolleyes: Just nervous mom thoughts at the time. They had actually placed these items on top to protect them from being crushed. Quite considerate I thought. Oh, we didn't need to box it or wrap it in plastic, we just made sure that the harness was fastened and tightened so it didn't catch on anything. I put a luggage tag on it and the airlines tagged it just like they do with the rest of the luggage. I definately felt more comfortable bringing my own car seat. Not only was it cheaper, but I new exactly how to install it and new my DS would be familiar and comfortable with it.

I've always checked my DD's booster seat as part of luggage. I've bought a car seat cover at Babies R Us, it wasn't very expensive and it works GREAT. I don't have to worry about the seat getting dirty or damaged during the flight.

Our two girls sit in their carseats during the flight.... I like them "trapped" We always buy them seats.... One friend of ours never buys her kids a seat and brings her carseat to the gate.... If there are extra seats they let them bring it on the plane.... if not they gate check it. If you check it with the luggage, they place the seat in a heavy plastic bag before loading it....

Personally, we always fly with them in their carseats.... I am tooooooo afraid of a sudden loss of cabin pressure.......

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought booster seats were not approved by the F.A.A. for airline use because the airlines don't have shoulder belts. I thought you could only use a regular car seat with a 5-point harness in the planes.

Originally posted by klynn
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought booster seats were not approved by the F.A.A. for airline use because the airlines don't have shoulder belts. I thought you could only use a regular car seat with a 5-point harness in the planes.

:::::Hanging head:::::: I thought they were the same thing..... sorry

Thanks for the responses. :)

I called the airport today and asked, and they said that yes car seats are treated just like luggage. The represetative I spoke with also said that they have special plastic totes that they put them in now to avoid damage so we wouldn't need to pack them in anything.

With what she told me and your positive responses, I feel much better now. :)

I have the Century Next Step Booster seat and used it last year on the plane as a car seat. I just put the 5 point harness system back on the seat. At the time my 4 yo son was 41 inches tall and weighed around 35 pounds. The seat is FAA approved for planes.

We checked in two booster seats last fall. We flew Delta and they put each in a special plastic bag when we checked them in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter