Checking ID for alcoholic beverages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eac578

Mouseketeer
I have recently read that out of state/country drivers licenses are not valid ID for alcohol. I am from Canada, in my mid-40s and travelling with my husband and tween/teen kids. I look every bit my age and then some lol... and have not been asked for ID in well over a decade, probably not in 15 years. Am I likely to be ID'd in Disney World? I would rather not carry my passport with me, rather keep it in the hotel safe. Thanks!

Not likely. Also out of state are valid. Not sure who would only say instate only valid as there are so many out of state and out of country visitors and that would be a large issue. So don’t worry you can use normal picture I’d and not need passports.

Maybe it was just out of country? I'll bring my (Canadian) drivers license and if that's not good enough proof that my gray-haired middle aged self is 21 then I don't need wine that badly lol ;-)

Maybe it was just out of country? I'll bring my (Canadian) drivers license and if that's not good enough proof that my gray-haired middle aged self is 21 then I don't need wine that badly lol ;-)
Well, it’s good that you are prepared to do without because you may. Florida law technically requires that everybody regardless of how old they look has to be id’d and as a Canadian myself I can tell you that your Canadian driver’s license is not valid ID. You must have your passport but a picture of the ID page on your phone actually is ok.

Now will you be checked. Probably not, we never are. But, they can if they want and without the passport no wine for you.

I’m 31, but look younger. I did not get IDed at all on my trip last week for alcohol. The only time I got IDed was to verify my identity to get my DVC discount.

Maybe it was just out of country? I'll bring my (Canadian) drivers license and if that's not good enough proof that my gray-haired middle aged self is 21 then I don't need wine that badly ûlol ;-)
Probably not as much "proof" as you'd think:
1. My brother's best friend started going gray while we were in high school;
2. Apparently, dying one's hair silver is a thing.

I have recently read that out of state/country drivers licenses are not valid ID for alcohol. I am from Canada, in my mid-40s and travelling with my husband and tween/teen kids. I look every bit my age and then some lol... and have not been asked for ID in well over a decade, probably not in 15 years. Am I likely to be ID'd in Disney World? I would rather not carry my passport with me, rather keep it in the hotel safe. Thanks!
I'm 45 and haven't been ID'd in WDW on any of my trips over the last 4 or 5 years. I was ID'd last year at a Universal though. Fortunately they accepted my Canadian DL and I got my wine.

I (and my 20 something children) carry an original driving licence (bilingual Welsh/English) and a photocopy of a passport. I have seen people who look well into their 30s IDd at Trader Sams and refused alcoholic drinks because they only had foreign driving licences.

Oh, picture of passport, good idea!
Yes, I'd definitely rather go without wine than risk losing passports carrying them around the parks. I honestly don't expect to get ID'd, but just in case? There's no way I could pass for 30, nevermind 20 lol.

Our son and his wife had to show an ID at every restaurant and lounge we went to, not the kiosks.

I’m 45 and like you I didn’t want to bring my passport into the parks either so I took a photo of it and just brought my Ontario drivers license with me.
The few times I was asked for ID my license was enough.
I figured if I was denied a drink I probably didn’t need it that badly in the first place.

I was only carded once in all of my many many trips to WDW. I am almost 40 and completely look it. I was carded at the snack bar at wilderness lodge pool. The cashier rang me up for my frozen daiquiris; the cashier looked to be in his 50’s. And just as I was about to tap my magic band, his manager popped up and said, “not so fast- you didn’t ask her for ID.” The manager looked maybe 18ish. I didn’t have it on me as I was by the pool and in my bathing suit. I even cracked a joke. “If I was under 21 and looked like this, wouldn’t you feel so bad for me that you’d let me drink?” The cashier cracked up; the manager scowled. Cashier mouthed “sorry,” and took back the drinks.
I marched about 100 feet away to the outdoor bar, ordered my frozen daiquiris from there and was served no problem.

In short, even in the rare instance you’d be carded, you can just go somewhere else close by where you won’t be :)

I am in my late 40s and have NEVER been asked for ID for alcohol at WDW. Asking people who are obviously in their 40's for ID is a ridiculous and unnecessary policy. In the UK the stricter establishments tend to ask anyone who looks under 25, but the drinking age is 18 (unless having a meal, then you can order cider or beer with a meal at 16).

I regularly use a picture of the photo page of my passport as ID at WDW and it’s always accepted. They’ve also been willing to accept a photo of my Nexus card. I only carry my DL, and they’ll accept that for AP discounts, but not for alcohol.

It's Florida state law to require a photo ID (and that only a passport is valid for foreigners) regardless of how old they look, however, it's generally not done if you look over 30. BUT, they can ask. I have, however, heard bartenders tell people that a passport photo on your phone is acceptable. So I do keep one on my phone but I haven't been asked for photo ID at Disney since 1991 and that was only at Pleasure Island.

I am in my late 40s and have NEVER been asked for ID for alcohol at WDW. Asking people who are obviously in their 40's for ID is a ridiculous and unnecessary policy. In the UK the stricter establishments tend to ask anyone who looks under 25, but the drinking age is 18 (unless having a meal, then you can order cider or beer with a meal at 16).
It’s not that ridiculous and unnecessary policy. It is the LAW

I am 33 but I look really young. I am always carded at local bars, restaurants, and stores. Out of all 3 times I have visited WDW (2017, and twice in 2019) I have only been carded 1 time at Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter