Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

I am bib 534. I haven't fully determined my goal or strategy yet. Normally, I would hit this thing full throttle, but, I have NYC coming up. I worry that once I start, I am I will get in the competitive mindset no matter what I plan.

I did download a bunch of music today. I'm not allowed to wear headphones, but I will listen to music this week and before the race to get my head together.

Do not worry about the weather. You can't change it and everyone will be in the same conditions. Stalking this year's Boston weather gave me panic attacks and as an added bonus, was worse than I expected.

Thanks @cburnett11 and @roxymama . I am very glad to hear that, the video just looked insanely crowded the whole time. I know the first few miles are congested but was worried it would be the whole way.

On another note, had to take Mallory to the vet, she has a bad yeast infection in her ears. The good thing is it happened this weekend so able to get her to the vet. On the positive they cleaned her ears good, gave her medicine, and she got a sanitary trim. She is ready for Chicago!

My lab gets yeast ear infections frequently. I know as soon as she has one because my kids start complaining that she smells. We keep a steady supply of Mometamax.

My lab gets yeast ear infections frequently. I know as soon as she has one because my kids start complaining that she smells. We keep a steady supply of Mometamax.

That is exactly what she is on. I feel bad though it’s my fault. I need to clean her ears better. I know I do the best I can, she is a lot to take care of and I would not trade it for the world. She loves me so much! She is very special to me.

I have NYC coming up.

I didn’t realize you were doing NYC too. All along I’ve been planning for Chicago to be my “A” race because it’s an easier course. If weather was projected to be warm in Chicago, I’d probably dial it back and consider it a long run prior to NYC and change that to be what I focused on. That’s been my thinking all along. I was thinking conditions were going to be even better a couple days ago, but I still think it will be nice enough that I have a better chance at PRing in Chicago than I would in NYC. NYC will just be an experience for me.

All along I’ve been planning for Chicago to be my “A” race because it’s an easier course. If weather was projected to be warm in Chicago, I’d probably dial it back and consider it a long run prior to NYC and change that to be what I focused on. That’s been my thinking all along. I was thinking conditions were going to be even better a couple days ago, but I still think it will be nice enough that I have a better chance at PRing in Chicago than I would in NYC. NYC will just be an experience for me.

I agree... I think NYC is a tough environment to get a PR. You have a much better chance with Chicago.

I didn’t realize you were doing NYC too. All along I’ve been planning for Chicago to be my “A” race because it’s an easier course. If weather was projected to be warm in Chicago, I’d probably dial it back and consider it a long run prior to NYC and change that to be what I focused on. That’s been my thinking all along. I was thinking conditions were going to be even better a couple days ago, but I still think it will be nice enough that I have a better chance at PRing in Chicago than I would in NYC. NYC will just be an experience for me.
If you are going for a PR, aim for Chicago. NYC is a hard course and wall to wall people for at least the first 8 miles. They do a crappy job keeping people in the proper corrals. I had people in front of me walking 2-3 abreast in the first mile over the Verrazano bridge and I start towards the front in wave 1! That was probably my biggest reason for not wanting to do NYC again. There is kind of a system, but there is a point while waiting for the start that it becomes a free for all. I was mad and in a bad mood before I even started running because of all the people pushing to move up.

If you are going for a PR, aim for Chicago. NYC is a hard course and wall to wall people for at least the first 8 miles. They do a crappy job keeping people in the proper corrals. I had people in front of me walking 2-3 abreast in the first mile over the Verrazano bridge and I start towards the front in wave 1! That was probably my biggest reason for not wanting to do NYC again. There is kind of a system, but there is a point while waiting for the start that it becomes a free for all. I was mad and in a bad mood before I even started running because of all the people pushing to move up.

Do they break down the corrals before the race starts? They do that for their smaller races, and it kind of drives me crazy ... but it's also good because it makes it easier for me to jump in when I'm late because things are messier and nobody notices. I can't see it working well for the marathon, though.

Do they break down the corrals before the race starts? They do that for their smaller races, and it kind of drives me crazy ... but it's also good because it makes it easier for me to jump in when I'm late because things are messier and nobody notices. I can't see it working well for the marathon, though.
If I remember correctly, they break it down. But when it is time to actually go to the start, it becomes a free for all mess. So many men were pushing and shoving to move up (I know it sounds sexist, but rarely do I notice women doing this). I also think so many people put down a projected finish time but no where near that kind of ability. Yes, in a dream world I would love to say I can run a 2:30--not close to reality.

I will get that in Chicago (the pushing and shoving from behind), but I am far enough up that it won't impact me too much. I am also only given a gun time (not a chip time) in Chicago, so I will get nasty when they try to move in front of me.

I am also only given a gun time (not a chip time) in Chicago, so I will get nasty when they try to move in front of me.

If you don’t mind me asking, why do you only have a gun time?

I know you are competitive, but I would have thought you would also get a chip time.

That's a little shocking about the poor corral policing (which is a huge pet peeve of mine). Having never done NYC, I just assumed the NYRRs had it down pretty well by now. Disappointing that it's a mess. Of course, if and when I get into NYC, it's just going to be an "experience" marathon for me. I'm lazy enough that I don't go too hard in a marathon without a really good reason! :D

If you don’t mind me asking, why do you only have a gun time?

I know you are competitive, but I would have thought you would also get a chip time.
No, ask away...I got into Chicago as part of the American Development program. This is Chicago's description:

The American Development Program* recognizes the fastest amateur athletes in the 2018 Bank of America Chicago Marathon and is part of our ongoing effort to support up-and-coming American marathoners. These athletes are top local and/or regional runners who may be competing for personal best times or Olympic Trials qualifying performances but are not necessarily top national or international competitors. American Development Program qualifiers receive race morning amenities and start corral placement at the front of the field, directly behind the Elite Corral.

Women have to submit a time of less than 3:01 and men less than 2:31 (I think they have added a masters time standard that isn't as rigorous).

Anyway, there are a bunch of rules, basically same as elites (not that I would ever say I was elite!). Since we are eligible for prize money, that means only a gun time is used. I will never see a chip time--I have a chip for tracking, but no chip time is recorded. Some of the other rules include no headphones and specific instructions for fast male runners to stay away from the female elites. Never fails, someone hangs with them so they can get on tv--that is cause for disqualification. They are not allowed to ever block the female elites and media coverage.

There will be several runners trying for an Olympic Trials qualifier. It is highly competitive. I ran a 2:59 in 2016 and finished 86th women and 9th in AG.

@Wendy98 thanks for the info. It makes complete sense, just surprised you would not also get a chip time. I am guessing since you go off just behind elite you are only a few seconds off from gun time.

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 7 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 6.21.38 AM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
9/30/18 - T+D of 111, 60% cloudy, 24% rain, 8 mph E wind (At 11am, T+D is 115, and At 1pm, T+D is 120).
10/1/18 - T+D of 113, 81% cloudy, 55% rain, 8 mph ENE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 122).

If anyone was placing bets on at what point this week I'd start getting really nervous...riiiiight about now. I'm getting really nervous!!

DUUUUUDE!!!!

tenor.gif

@roxymama i started on friday. i really wigged out. i am hanging in there though. i see my therapist at noon so i am hoping she can calm me down a little. Bonus because of therapy appointment (physical not mental but today i feel like it will be mental) i am working from home. It is better as i can get some additional laundry done. It also means only going to the office 2 days this week. Working half a day on thrusday but again staying home (at least right now unless some important meeting comes up). I am also stalking the weather but have literally packed for 75 degrees to 35 degrees and everything in between.

Plus my easy 5 miles was in a t + d of 138 so even 115 sounds wonderful

thanks for the info. It makes complete sense, just surprised you would not also get a chip time. I am guessing since you go off just behind elite you are only a few seconds off from gun time.

A short article related to this. In 2008, the 4th fastest male time (by chip) was Wes Korir. However, he was in the open division and wasn't eligible for any prize money. I think they ended up paying him something, but this article sorta explains the thinking on this...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2008-10-13-0810120331-story.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter