Chill Out! You crazy over planner.

Timandalicia

DIS Veteran
I’m saying that to myself.

Do you over plan?

Just got some good perspective last week skiing with my brother-in-law in Colorado. We flew in from the Midwest and just wanted to do some runs and enjoy the views. But he lives there and was hung up on which lifts had short lines and making sure he got the most runs he could get in each day. It was annoying and we had less fun doing it that way.

(Sound familiar all you crazy over planning Disney World people)!😲

Actually, I’m one of those Disney people myself. 😂

So this was an eye opener for next time I go to Disney World with my sister or the kids’ grandpa. I love being the ambassador to the most magical place on Earth, but I gotta take a chill pill. I gotta see it from their perspective and tone it down a bit.

But since no one but my nuclear family is coming next time... here I go planning like crazy... woohoo!

we probably won't go til a year from now, might be end of 2022 if the pandemic doesn't calm down but... I'm already planning. I love making lists and plans. plus it beats thinking about covid all the time

Last edited:
Proud overplanner here. I’m not the minute by minute type or drill sergeant - but I certainly have a game plan. For me, it makes vacation more enjoyable not having to waste time saying “what do you want to do next?” It flows better. And, I make sure to include people watching/ relaxing in my plans.

We are mega planners too but we are always flexible and plans can fly out the window at any time! For our December 2021 trip we are (naturally) planning but know that WDW (and likely the world!) will likely be a very different place and rules, regulations, and restrictions that are now in effect may be very different when fall comes around! So, we have a general plan for now and will watch carefully for changes so we can adjust or tweak as needed along the way.

we probably won't go til a year from now, might be end of 2022 if the pandemic doesn't calm tf down but... I'm already planning. I love making lists and plans. plus it beats thinking about covid all the time

same. I’m planning for November 2022 (if most offerings are back and masks aren’t required) with just DD who will be 16 then. I have lists for prices, new rides, restaurants, etc. My daughter loves my planning. I know it’s crazy and that’s why I don’t travel to Disney with people outside of my nuclear family. I don’t need the judgement. :rotfl:

Last edited:
We just went three time this year and I think I'm cutting my packing and have done great, yet we still bring back items we never used. I have been more relaxed with the planning, especially since covid and things aren't always as busy it's been nice and relaxing. Went in Aug and Oct and parks were empty. Went again in Feb and it is starting to get busier. It was nice walking around the park with hardly anyone there and no lines.

If I don't have some sort of a game plan, I get majorly stressed out. Then again, I get stressed out if that plan starts to go awry so it's a catch 22 lol.

I am taking my 75 year old mother this trip and it's her first trip ever to Disney. My overplanning self is trying to figure out how we can not overtax her, take breaks, but still ride all the rides and do all the stuff me and the DD7 want to do. But I have a feeling that at the most inopportune moments we are going to have to stop and go back to the room for her to rest and I am going to have to accept that! LOL She's most excited that we are staying at AKL-KV and have a savannah view and going on the safari and seeing animals.

I am taking my 75 year old mother this trip and it's her first trip ever to Disney. My overplanning self is trying to figure out how we can not overtax her, take breaks, but still ride all the rides and do all the stuff me and the DD7 want to do. But I have a feeling that at the most inopportune moments we are going to have to stop and go back to the room for her to rest and I am going to have to accept that! LOL She's most excited that we are staying at AKL-KV and have a savannah view and going on the safari and seeing animals.
We went with my parents in 2019 who were in their mid-late 70's at the time. It was a very different trip as they had a great time but were ready to head back to the room for the day after about 6 hours in the parks, having accomplished only 3-5 attractions. I will say mom could have gone longer I'm sure but it was just too much for dad. I was glad we'd gone into the trip with a different mindset that this trip was for them and we'd take things at their pace.

I never really enjoyed all the planning for a WDW trip. Making FP and ADR's so far in advance. But, if you didn't do at least some of it, you'd miss out on a ride or a restaurant. Years ago (too many) I can remember going to WDW without a single FP or ADR and was just fine. Those were some great trips.

I couldn't agree more. I've cut back and now I only plan resort stays, park reservations, ADRs, rope drop strategies, pool time, transportation optimization, luggage transfer, photo pass and snack schedules. I've been sleeping much better... wait–when does FastPass+ come back?

I did my typical OCD planning for a trip to Disneyland a few years ago for DH, DD, DS, and DSIL (for him, first Disney trip and first trip with the family). I could tell DSIL thought I was going a bit overboard, but after one of our park days turned into a level 10 crowd but we still got almost everything done that we had planned, he told DD he now understood and appreciated the planning.

I love making lists and plans. plus it beats thinking about covid all the time
Getting a root canal beats thinking about covid all the time. At least you know there's an end to it!;)
I'm not an over-the-top planner any longer but that's only after countless visits over 40+ years. But I can sure relate to it, and if it brings you joy, by all means go for it!:earsboy::

I am a massive overplanner. However, anyone that goes on a trip with me absolutely loves that I go into planning overload because they don't have to.

we probably won't go til a year from now, might be end of 2022 if the pandemic doesn't calm down but... I'm already planning. I love making lists and plans. plus it beats thinking about covid all the time
Oh I’m not going until January 😂 but you better believe I’m planning now. 😲😬

We took my 82yo grandma in 2018. She had never been and told me she wanted to go before she dies, lol. (She’s still here, healthy, and over dramatic as ever) I was incredibly surprised by how long she could go. She did better than my brothers pregnant girlfriend 😂 She went from morning to fireworks in the parks. If she didn’t want to ride something, she just had us stop by a snack cart and she would sit and people watch. I was pregnant at the time too, so anytime I couldn’t ride something we would share a pretzel or dole whip while we waited. We did get her a wheelchair just so we were prepared if she wanted to relax a bit. Honestly, she had a blast. My advice is to let her set the pace for the day and allow her to take breaks. She can always just chill and relax while you and your daughter ride something. She will just be happy to be there seeing the excitement from your daughter.

I couldn't agree more. I've cut back and now I only plan resort stays, park reservations, ADRs, rope drop strategies, pool time, transportation optimization, luggage transfer, photo pass and snack schedules. I've been sleeping much better... wait–when does FastPass+ come back?

Relatable AF.:rotfl2:

Bahahaha 😂
It’s almost a blessing they did away with extra magic hours. Saves me 40 hours of planning. Oh but I love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter