Choosing Where to Eat in HHI

We personally love Crazy Crab. The shrimp there is so good. There are two on the island one in Harbortown and the other is located as you come in on the main road. Either is good. The shrimp salad is really good.

Yes, we have tried the Crazy Crab. Maybe we hit an off-day, but I thought the fried shrimp was very bland, and I'm not pickey. I'll eat just about anything! :rotfl: Maybe we will try it again one day, though.

To the OP......

Just so you know, Dye's Gullah Fixins' has moved to a new location, much closer to the resort. While I don't know the new address off the top of my head here is the website. Also, she no longer takes credit cards....just cash.

www.dyesgullahfixins.com

Yes, I have heard there is a new location, and I'm super happy it's closer to the resort. I had noticed on the website that it was cash only. I'll have to remember to bring some extra cash because I usually don't travel with much. The last time we ate at Dye's, she talked to us about her plans to move to a new place. I'm glad it worked out for her.

I think there actually used to be a Truffles Cafe and a Truffles Grill maybe. :confused3 Now it appears the Cafe is the only choice. I'm sure somebody else would know about the change / difference. If the one on Pope is closer then that's where we would have gone... Anyway, we enjoyed it and they had a nice selection on the menu.

I think you're right. Now that you say that, there was a Truffles Cafe. That's probably why there were different menus. I'm with you on the menu; it looks like there is a good variety! The problem is everything sounds so delicious it will be hard to choose what to order!

We always pick a night to do burgers and dogs on the grill by the marsh. That's as close as I have to a waterfront outdoor kitchen. With the Piggly Wiggly right be the resort it is easy to grab what you need if you don't bring provisions. My favorite restaurants have already been named.

I've thought about grilling one night, but my one rule on vacation is NO COOKING! I hate doing it at home, so I know I would especially hate doing it on vacation. :rolleyes: I know it works for some people though, just not me. Cooking stresses me! :crazy2:

BTW, does anyone know anything about HH Prime? My DH and I plan to visit just the two of us in a couple of years for our 25th anniversary, and we would like to try an upscale steak/seafood restaurant, one that is too expensive for us to take our two teenage DSs!

BTW, does anyone know anything about HH Prime? My DH and I plan to visit just the two of us in a couple of years for our 25th anniversary, and we would like to try an upscale steak/seafood restaurant, one that is too expensive for us to take our two teenage DSs!

For an anniversary, you can always do a chef's tasting at CQ's. I did one in 2011 there & it was amazing! I never posted my pictures of that but it was a perfect anniversary dinner.

HH Prime is also good but to me, not super romantic.

For an anniversary, you can always do a chef's tasting at CQ's. I did one in 2011 there & it was amazing! I never posted my pictures of that but it was a perfect anniversary dinner.

HH Prime is also good but to me, not super romantic.

I would love to hear more about the chef's tasting at CQs. I've never done a chef's tasting.

I can understand what you mean about HH Prime. The website makes it look upscale and classy, but definitely not romantic. So if the food is good, it might make a good place to go on another night on our trip, but not our actual anniversary.

I would love to hear more about the chef's tasting at CQs. I've never done a chef's tasting.

I can understand what you mean about HH Prime. The website makes it look upscale and classy, but definitely not romantic. So if the food is good, it might make a good place to go on another night on our trip, but not our actual anniversary.

Here is my photo album for it:
http://imgur.com/a/SgjAS

It wasn't a cheap meal (I think it was $375 but also had some wine)

Oh my, that food looks amazing!!! I would love the chef's tasting, but I'd be worried about my DH. He has some food allergies including some seafood allergies. Did you get to choose the menu items, or was it predetermined?

It was predetermined but if you have allergies just let them know & they can work around those.

It was predetermined but if you have allergies just let them know & they can work around those.

Thank you. I would just hope there would be enough choices without seafood. Of course, I would want the seafood! I guess to find out more info about it, I would need to call the restaurant directly, correct?

Ok, sorry I got a little off-topic. I think I've made some decisions for my upcoming trip...

• Either Lowcountry Backyard or Truffles Cafe (We decided to NOT do Guisseppi's which has been our first-night tradition, but we aren't huge pizza fans and there are so many other places we want to try. It's time to change tradition.)
  • Black Marlin
  • Skull Creek Boathouse
  • The Sea Shack
  • Steamer Seafood (This one could still change.)

We will also eat Dye's lunch buffet one day. Yummm!!!!

Thank you for all the replies!

When you go to Dye's, tell her that Linda and Lisa said hello and that we will see her in September.

We fell in love with Dye's food on our first visit and asked her if she had a website. She said that she had paid someone a lot of money to build her one and he just ran off with it. We took a few pictures of our food and the buffet and went back to the resort and Lisa built her a website. (Lisa builds websites as a side business). We went back to the restaurant a few days later with the laptop in hand and showed Dye her new website and she burst into tears. We have been fast friends ever since, and Lisa still does all the work on the site for Dye, free of charge. She is such a nice, hardworking woman and we will help in any way we can to promote and support her business.

Linda

LJC1861 said:
When you go to Dye's, tell her that Linda and Lisa said hello and that we will see her in September.

We fell in love with Dye's food on our first visit and asked her if she had a website. She said that she had paid someone a lot of money to build her one and he just ran off with it. We took a few pictures of our food and the buffet and went back to the resort and Lisa built her a website. (Lisa builds websites as a side business). We went back to the restaurant a few days later with the laptop in hand and showed Dye her new website and she burst into tears. We have been fast friends ever since, and Lisa still does all the work on the site for Dye, free of charge. She is such a nice, hardworking woman and we will help in any way we can to promote and support her business.

Linda

What a great story Linda! So nice of you and Lisa to do that for her. We will be at HHI in August and will have to stop in and try Dye's amazing food!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Linda

Hey, Linda! I think I have talked to you on another thread about Dye and how Lisa works on her website. Good to hear from you again! :goodvibes Will you ask Lisa if she knows what's on the lunch buffet and how much it is? It's the one thing I can't find on the website, and I'm super curious. I'll tell Dye hi from you all when I see her in June.

What a great story Linda! So nice of you and Lisa to do that for her. We will be at HHI in August and will have to stop in and try Dye's amazing food!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

You are in for a real treat!!!

I believe it is 2 different meats....with one always being fried chicken and a variety of side dishes which vary daily. As for price.....Lisa is not sure. Since moving Dye has not given Lisa and updated list of some of her pricing. Lisa said that she will e-mail Dye and ask.

Linda

I believe it is 2 different meats....with one always being fried chicken and a variety of side dishes which vary daily. As for price.....Lisa is not sure. Since moving Dye has not given Lisa and updated list of some of her pricing. Lisa said that she will e-mail Dye and ask.

Linda

Thank you so much! Love her fried chicken! I really hope she still serves those yummy collard greens. I usually don't like greens, but I could eat platefuls of those! My DS14 raised turnip greens on our farm this year and perfected a recipe similar to Dye's (not quite as good though, just don't tell him ;).

I have to say the best meal we had there last year was from Roasted Fish and Cornbread restaurant. The chef is Gullah and the food is delish!

DisneyStarWisher,

The lunch buffet at Dye's is $16 and collards are usually on the buffet as well.

Hope this helps!

Linda

You have to try The Black Marlin!!! Best place on the island! Start off with their signature Hurricane Drink at their Hurricane Bar. Also there is Captain Woodys right next door. Sometimes we get a beer and shrimp cocktail at captain Woodys if we can get a seat at the bar while we r waiting for our table at the Black Marlin.

We also enjoy Scott's right at shelter cove. No driving! Always had an enjoyable meal.

DisneyStarWisher,

The lunch buffet at Dye's is $16 and collards are usually on the buffet as well.

Hope this helps!

Linda

Linda, thank you so much for taking the time to find out this information. I don't know when you're planning on going back, but maybe we'll run into each other one day. Enjoy Dye's whenever you make it back there.

You have to try The Black Marlin!!! Best place on the island! Start off with their signature Hurricane Drink at their Hurricane Bar. Also there is Captain Woodys right next door. Sometimes we get a beer and shrimp cocktail at captain Woodys if we can get a seat at the bar while we r waiting for our table at the Black Marlin.

We also enjoy Scott's right at shelter cove. No driving! Always had an enjoyable meal.

I am definitely going to try The Black Marlin. The menu looks outstanding. As far as the drinks, we'll have to pass. We don't drink alcohol. But I'm sure the food will make up for it!

We tried Scott's once, and I loved the convenience but not crazy about the food. We may try it again one day though.

I don't think Captain Woody's is next door anymore (but I'm not sure-someone please verify or correct me). I thought I'd read that they'd recently moved to near Sea Pines Circle.

Wow I m shocked....just checked their web site and they did move!!! Wow they were at their old location for over 30 years!!!

Well maybe something else moved in or more room for black marlin...enjoy!!! We went to Alexander's years ago and it was very good....didn't go back ....not sure why. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter