Christmas 2017

Do you by chance remember how much the Black Friday deal was for the ancestry DNA kits? I've wanted to do this for awhile now.
I think it was around $50. My sister in law purchased it so I'm not 100% sure.

The only surprise they got with theirs was that they didn't have even a drop of Native American DNA. Their Dad insisted he was 1/4 Cherokee.

For those interested, the first Black Friday ad is out - Harbor Fright, who is traditionally the first or one of the first.

Only things I'm really looking for on Black Friday is a good price on the live-action Beauty and the Beast blu ray (I'm hoping for $10), and either a Google Home Mini or Echo Dot. I'd prefer the Home Mini but since they are new I doubt there will be much of a sale, so if the Dot is cheap I may grab one.

I think it's time to start Christmas Shopping.:rainbow:

I use the app Santa's Bag to keep track of my purchases and the money spent. I love it. I have been using it a few years. I did upgrade from the free app so I could archive my purchases each year and look back on them if I need to.

So far I have purchased:

Under cabinet lighting pucks from Sams for both of my sisters and my sister in law, and their husbands, for in their kitchens $20 each pack of 5

Power chargers clearanced from $30 to $2.50 for Aunts and Uncles that we only see at Christmas and for the mail man, trash man and recycling man. I bought a few extras that I can throw in for stocking stuffers for my kids and husband.

Sleds at the end of last season for my niece and nephew. $4.00 each I did get two of them to give my sons also.

My oldest is getting ready to buy a car, so he will want things for that. My youngest and my husband never give me much of an idea, so I love these threads so I can see what creative minds everyone else has.
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for an app like that.

For those interested, the first Black Friday ad is out - Harbor Fright, who is traditionally the first or one of the first.

Only things I'm really looking for on Black Friday is a good price on the live-action Beauty and the Beast blu ray (I'm hoping for $10), and either a Google Home Mini or Echo Dot. I'd prefer the Home Mini but since they are new I doubt there will be much of a sale, so if the Dot is cheap I may grab one.

I'm going to be honest with you, we received the dot last year for Christmas and it is AWFUL. Alexa can't even answer simple questions. We don't even use it anymore b/c it was pointless.

I'm going to be honest with you, we received the dot last year for Christmas and it is AWFUL. Alexa can't even answer simple questions. We don't even use it anymore b/c it was pointless.

That's why I would prefer the Home. I've heard it's better at questions, while Alexa is better for shopping. We really don't need any more assistance spending money :cool: but we are used to using Google on our phones for checking traffic, weather, etc. So I think the Home would be used more in our house.

But mostly I was thinking of getting one for DD so we can automate the lights in her room, she can set alarms, and a few other things like that. Either one would work OK for that from what I read. I don't know whether or not she'll actually end up using it much in the long run, so the lowest cost of entry is likely to win - but I'm still on the fence. I'm going to watch what reviews are like for the Home Mini over the next few weeks - I'm in no rush. This is not a required purchase by any means!

I hit some great sales at Barnes and Noble this weekend. Lots of stuff 75% off. My DS loves art supplies got leather bound sketch books, oil pastels, charcoal pencils and chalk all for between $2 and $3. Also picked up some movies today at Target with the 20% off coupon on cartwheel. Figure I can always return them if I find a better deal closer to the holiday.

We bought DD cat Bluetooth headphones tonight for $15. I also forgot I got an extra $10 sharpie kit last year to restock her stash. She ooohed and ahhhed over the most random stuff at TJMaxx that I plan to get. A cat kitchen timer, a sequin pillow, a globe, a fuzzy blanket, a sand timer, and an Eiffel Tower candle.

I decided my mom, cousin, and sil are getting instapots when they go back on sale. Hopefully me too haha

I just added a few more items to my list...Mom has asked for a specific headboard from Amazon. It is about $150 so I will be ordering that today. Not sure how to wrap that! DS21-new hockey socks, new desk chair DS 19- new desk chair and desk and a 360 camera for phone. We get the kids new chairs every couple yrs, the office kind, usually on a black Friday sale. We have what used to be our "school rrom " when homeschooling that is really just their PC room, gaming and such. It really needs a redo but that is why the desk/chair items came up. If I can't get a trip instead of gifts, I would not mind a redecorated room instead of gifts.

I think it was around $50. My sister in law purchased it so I'm not 100% sure.

The only surprise they got with theirs was that they didn't have even a drop of Native American DNA. Their Dad insisted he was 1/4 Cherokee.

My sister has been wanting to do this or the genetic disease one. I never thought about checking for a Black Friday sale. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been buying all year and just keep stuffing things away in the attic. The attic is over-flowing now and I have more than enough for my 5 yr old and 7 year old. I'm actually thinking about just picking some of the better presents I've bought and then donating the rest just to clean out the attic, there are so many dolls and remote control cars hidden up there!

For my 22 year old son I bought the NES when it came out a few weeks ago. He'll give me a list as it gets closer - he's easy to buy for anyways, one or two big (expensive!) gifts then just a few smaller ones.

For my parents and siblings I usually just buy them meat from the local ranch. I made little meat baskets (a few packages of burger, two or three steaks, roasts, bacon, etc) a few years ago and now that's what they ask for every year. It's expensive, for sure, but very practical.

DH - well, we'll agree that we aren't going to buy each other anything. Then, I see packages showing up for him so I'll know he's got me something, then I'll buy something for him, he'll suspect that so he'll buy more for me - until we've gotten eachother too much. Happens every year.

I am anxiously awaiting for the sales to begin. Target has a toy sale happening but I don’t think there will many toys this year. Still I will do a run through to see if anything catches my eye.

Thanks to someone posting about the Vera Bradley sale I spent a ridiculous amount of money “saving.” :rotfl2:

Older DD has been doing a fair amount of traveling so I got her matching flat iron case, luggage tags, On a Roll Case. Reviews said the case was good for chargers and cords so that was my thought there. I wanted to get her the travel blanket but reviews were mixed on whether it was good for planes or not. I considered the packing cubes but she’s not that organized.

For younger DD I got the Jen ID case to use as a wallet, matching icon ID & lanyard (for her AP) and On a Roll Case.

I may or may not have picked up Santa Mama a few things as well. :rolleyes1

I ordered one each of the new Bose Micro Mini Bluetooth speakers for each kid. They all like to shower with music going and these are waterproof. Not on sale but did find no taxes and free shipping on Amazon.

Also bought older DD some tumblers that match the dishes I bought her last year.

. I considered the packing cubes but she’s not that organized.
I'm not either, but I have found they work great to sort dirty clothes from clean without putting dirty clothes in a plastic bag. I have found it lets them air a bit before returning home instead of them cooking in plastic bags for a few days. Just a thought. I have the ones from ebags. they work fine. I actually wish I had some smaller ones also.

I'm not either, but I have found they work great to sort dirty clothes from clean without putting dirty clothes in a plastic bag. I have found it lets them air a bit before returning home instead of them cooking in plastic bags for a few days. Just a thought. I have the ones from ebags. they work fine. I actually wish I had some smaller ones also.
My DD’s method: toss worn clothes somewhere in the vicinity of bag, leave them there until time to check out. If there are any clean clothes left, move those over to the side compartment, shove all worn clothes in bag. Given that this is also the constant state of her bedroom (just replace bag w/laundry basket) I don’t see the cubes changing her “method” any time soon.

My DD’s method: toss worn clothes somewhere in the vicinity of bag, leave them there until time to check out. If there are any clean clothes left, move those over to the side compartment, shove all worn clothes in bag. Given that this is also the constant state of her bedroom (just replace bag w/laundry basket) I don’t see the cubes changing her “method” any time soon.

hahaha, She isn't alone. I was chaperoning a trip with some teen girls. They had been in their room for under 24 hours when I went in to see how the studying for the contest they were going to be in was going. It literally looked like all their suitcases had blown up there were clothes everywhere. I made them at least clear a path for housekeeping.

I'm cutting WAY back this year! Dd18 is off to college and sharing a small dorm so she is getting clothes, makeup and I already got her Walk the Moon concert tickets for January. She is a cinema arts major and photographer and has asked for a backdrop stand and backdrops so at least those are useful. Dd23 moved in with fiance recently, so I think I'm getting them bedding and a tv for their bedroom. And socks, she is obsessed with socks lol! Dh and I are going to Disney for our 20th Anniversary in Feb so I hoping to not really spend much on each other, and honestly there isn't much we need. I will buy for 3 nieces and 1 nephew, my inlaws, and my dad, and my SIL.

After buying the original set of tickets, I went back in and bought the experience part as well. cheap enough....and DH loves that kind of stuff like show props, the throne, etc. I personally have never seen the show ever so I am just going along for the ride as he has no friends close by that watch the show ....

Got my tickets in the mail today! I have had to stalk the mailbox to get there before DH each day. lol

We have three dots. They control our lights and interact with the fire stick in our projector (our tv). We also use it for music, and for intercoms. It runs several random outlets around the house like the fan in the dining room. We run a nightly macro that turns off the downstairs, dims the kid’s lamp, and turns on our master bedroom. It also manages our shopping list and puts it on our phone. And it meows at our cats.

Got my oldest ds's gift today, I ordered him a new iphone. Unless a video game comes out that he has to have I'll just fill in his gifts with clothes and GCs to food places that he and his friends go too.

I got my dd an Alex and Ani Harry Potter necklace.

Making slow progress this year.

Other Christmas present completed- A surprise pre-Christmas trip for DS10 to see the Wizarding World lit up for the holidays! Loving our annual passes! Plus we’ll do some Christmas shopping to complete HP bedroom makeover while there using my nephew’s employee discount

Got my tickets in the mail today! I have had to stalk the mailbox to get there before DH each day. lol
THanks for the warning. I just got an email stating my tickets were printing. I ordered I thought souvineer kind not sure what that means but am hoping they are fancy looking....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter