Christmas 2021 Where would you stay

toodycat

DIS Veteran
We’re planning on visiting WDW in December 2021 to see the Christmas displays. This will be the first year in ages that I won’t have to work. What deluxe would you choose? Last time, we stayed at the WL, which was beautiful. I’m thinking DVC might be an option. We’ve stayed at BWV, BCV and AKV and loved them all. What would you all recommend and why? TIA.

Personally, I would base your choice on which parks you are visiting most. If it's MK, I would stay at GF. The Christmas decorations are gorgeous and, with the new walkway to MK, it makes getting to the park very convenient (in addition to having, of course, the monorail). If you will be visiting DHS/EP most, I would go back to BCV. I just love BCV for its location - closest to EP and the Skyliner entrance, plus super close to the resort buses. I find it fun to walk around the Boardwalk and see all of the EP resort decorations as well.

That would be such a tough choice! We just got back from WDW last week and stayed at Riviera for the first time. It was absolutely wonderful. The resort was stunning. The Christmas decor was beautiful. It was really nice to have the Sky Liner access not only for the quick trip to DHS and Epcot but also for dining reservations at Beach Club and Boardwalk.

WL has always been my favorite Disney resort. Not only is it beautiful but I love the overall atmosphere there. OKW is a go-to for our family. We love the way their villas are set up and enjoy the more spread out, peaceful setting that the resort has to offer.

I'm sorry that I am not much help! One of my bucket list items is to stay at each and every Disney resort at least once so if I were in your situation I would probably pick somewhere I hadn't stayed before. If I had to choose, for a Christmas trip, I would probably pick either BLT or Grand Floridian just because their Christmas decor is beautiful and we tend to spend a lot of time at MK so it would be convenient to be so close.

We’re planning on visiting WDW in December 2021 to see the Christmas displays. This will be the first year in ages that I won’t have to work. What deluxe would you choose? Last time, we stayed at the WL, which was beautiful. I’m thinking DVC might be an option. We’ve stayed at BWV, BCV and AKV and loved them all. What would you all recommend and why? TIA.
If you’re planning to book a DVC villa by renting points, then line up an owner now. December is a very popular month for DVC members and many resorts book up on (or even before) the 11-month window opens for booking.

Of the DVC resorts, VGF and CCV are very popular during the holiday season for their decor and atmosphere. BCV is popular for SAB and its proximity to EPCOT. RIV is brand spanking new and on the Skyliner line. It has the greatest probability of being able to book a cash reservation through Disney because it has not sold out yet.

BWV is all lock-off villas, so if you were planning on getting a studio or 2BR, your chances will be slim. BRV is getting a full renovation this year. I would avoid it. OKW was just completely renovated and SSR’s renovation should be completed by this summer. Both will have a brand new feel to them, although they are considerably spread out. Also, other than the lobbies, don’t expect too much in the way of holiday extras.

My personal preference would be VGF, if you can get it. If not, PVB (all studios & bungalows) is a nice second choice for its Polynesian Christmas feel and the easy access to both monorail systems.

If you’re planning to book a DVC villa by renting points, then line up an owner now. December is a very popular month for DVC members and many resorts book up on (or even before) the 11-month window opens for booking.

Of the DVC resorts, VGF and CCV are very popular during the holiday season for their decor and atmosphere. BCV is popular for SAB and its proximity to EPCOT. RIV is brand spanking new and on the Skyliner line. It has the greatest probability of being able to book a cash reservation through Disney because it has not sold out yet.

BWV is all lock-off villas, so if you were planning on getting a studio or 2BR, your chances will be slim. BRV is getting a full renovation this year. I would avoid it. OKW was just completely renovated and SSR’s renovation should be completed by this summer. Both will have a brand new feel to them, although they are considerably spread out. Also, other than the lobbies, don’t expect too much in the way of holiday extras.

My personal preference would be VGF, if you can get it. If not, PVB (all studios & bungalows) is a nice second choice for its Polynesian Christmas feel and the easy access to both monorail systems.
I second that DVC will be impossible for Christmas with so many owners skipping trips this year and needing to use points in 2021.
Riviera and GF are beautiful at Christmas.

I know you said you stayed at the WL for Christmas before, but the WL would be my number one choice for a Christmas trip. We’ve only traveled to Disney once during the holiday season and we thought all the resorts were decorated beautifully, but the WL just feels like Christmas. I think it’s the cozy lodge feel that I loved so much. Plus, all the rooms at the WL are currently undergoing a refurb so your room will be nice and new.

Good luck on your decision. You really can’t go wrong.

If your plan is to see the decorations at many resorts I would suggest a resort on the monorail. You can easily walk or take the monorail between all 3 of those resorts (Poly's Christmas decorations are nothing to write home about though). Since you can walk to MK you can get to any resort using the busses from there or take a boat to WL or FW. Walking around the FW loops to see the decorations is amazing. In our experience, transportation during the 2nd half of December is horrible so we plan those trips at resorts where we can walk to other destinations.

If planning to rent DVC get an owner lined up now as the 11 month window is quickly approaching for December. I don't think it will be impossible to get a DVC resort next year but you may find you'll have to pay more than in previous years. Depending how much effort and risk you want to put into the reservation you may be better off just getting a room through Disney.

We went to AKL in 2011 for Christmas. It was wonderful, I would do that again. Especially if they have all the cultural ambassadors back. If you wanted something different I would say Riviera. It’s new, & from what I’ve seen its got good food & nice decor.

Wilderness Lodge is the most beautiful resort at Christmas, in my opinion. We just returned from there and it was breathtaking and felt very Christmassy.

We stayed at Riviera, too, and while we also loved that resort, it didn't have nearly as much Christmas feel. Much smaller tree, etc.

I own DVC at several resorts. I'd love to know how I can book before the 11 month window, unless you're talking about walking a reservation, which I would never do because I consider it gaming the system. I wish DVC would find a way to eliminate this practice without creating other problems.

I own DVC at several resorts. I'd love to know how I can book before the 11 month window, unless you're talking about walking a reservation, which I would never do because I consider it gaming the system. I wish DVC would find a way to eliminate this practice without creating other problems.
Not necessarily talking about walking. I’m referring to the fact that owners can book 7 consecutive nights from 11 months. So, I might make a 7-night reservation 6 nights out from when you want to start your trip. Another member could do the same at 5 nights out, another at 4 nights out and so on up until the day before your date. And if enough members do that and there are relatively few units of the type you wish to reserve, it’s entirely possible that all of those units are taken by the time your first day to book at 11 months rolls around.

As an easy example, consider AKV Club level studios, of which there are a grand total of 5 units. Let’s pretend walking doesn’t happen. And for argument’s sake, let’s say that you want to book Dec. 1, 2021 for 5 nights. On Dec. 25, I made a reservation for 7 nights starting November 25 and departing December 2. I have already tied up one Value studio for the first night of your stay. The next day, two more members book Value studios for Nov. 26-Dec.3. Three of the 5 Value Studios are now occupied on the first night you want to book. The following day, 2 more members book stays for Nov. 27-Dec. 4. Now all 5 units have been reserved for your first night, even before you got a chance toattempt to book it.

AKV Value Studios are an extreme example but this also occurs with many other resorts as well. There was a recent thread posted on the DVC boards commenting on the fact that no resort had a single studio available for the night of November 24, 2021 right after the 11-month window opened. Not. A. Single. Resort.

Personally, I would stay at an Epcot resort, so you don’t have to rely on Disney transportation as much as possible. You can walk to Epcot and DHS. Hopefully, next year had the storytellers and candlelight processional, so there would be plenty to do at Epcot. The bus ride to MK or AK wouldn’t be too bad. Personally, after staying at GFV last year for thanksgiving, we vowed never to stay there again until the monorail is fixed as it either broke down or was delayed multiple times.

Thanks, everyone! I’m no closer to making up my mind, but I’ve got a lot more data to work with. I also didn’t know BRV was getting renovated, so that’s important to know. I’m leaning to maybe going a little earlier since December is going to be so busy. I’m still partial to AKL, BWV and the WL. CCV would be ideal, but if it’s not available, I could book two rooms, but we like the villa life of making our own breakfast and having a living room to share. DH is voting AKV, but open to something else.

Hey there. We went every year for Christmas week from 2008 - 2018. I know I sound like a broken record saying that in every post, but feel like it needs to be stated since Christmas week is such a different beast.

We used to stay at moderates, then made the jump to Deluxe. Being a family of 3 instead of 4 now, we realize just how expensive staying Deluxe is. We considered doing DVC, but honestly, I don't wanna risk it right now. I'm optimistic that things will be better by Christmas (even summer), but God forbid... I'd rather have the flexibility to cancel if need be than to chance making a DVC and being stuck with it... even though we're gonna wind up going regardless next year... we need the vacation!

We also considered Coronado Tower, but decided to skip. The thing is, it's GORGEOUS and we'd probably save ~$1k per person, but too many factors came into play. 1) We love the flexibility of waking up a little later some days and walking over to the park. 2) My mom, now a widow and older, may wanna hang at the resort every now and then. We know Beach Club. She knows that the Solarium is the perfect escape to read a book; she enjoys walking the boardwalk; we trust that she'll be okay walking home from Epcot alone if she's not feeling it one day. We'd never make her go home alone, but the point still stands. Riding a bus to coronado is another story. So we decided to roll with Beach Club.

The Epcot area is my favorite. You can walk to Epcot, and even DHS. There's so much to do outside of the parks. You wanna walk the boardwalk? Go for it. You need a quick bite to eat? Plenty of QS options - you could even walk into epcot. Need a night where you stay close to the resort and relax? Plenty of hotel diniung options in the area.

Contemporary, while a bucket list stay, feels like just a hotel, whereas Epcot area (BC, YC, S&D, BW) feels like an all-inclusive resort, where if you decided to take a day off from the parks, there's still plenty to do.

I will say - we always make time to visit Wilderness. I love it. It's the best decorated resort during Christmastime, but it feels too removed from the parks. Especially when it's crazy crowded and if Disney is still limiting transportation come Christmas, we don't wanna rely on boats and buses to get everywhere, so Beach club it is.

If you have kids, my choice would be AKV. Parks definitely play a role for ease of transportation. So BWV and BCV would be good but not my top choices for Christmas. WL and AKV would top the Christmas list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter