• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

College Football 2020 (and 2021??)

Third quarter was all Green Wave, WLP.

But last I heard, your QB had three I-N-T's in the game and that's not conducive to a W.

I watched your team play on that ugly Smurf Turf though.

Ed

Sad to hear that the Gasparilla Bowl will not feature the UAB Blazers versus South Carolina since the Gamecocks had a covid outbreak in the last few days (mostly among the coaching staff including contact tracing). Bill Clark, the HC of UAB (University of Alabama - Birmingham) has been the long time coach there including a stretch when UAB shut down the program due to funding issues but then brought it back with more local $upport (they're in Conference USA IIRC).

They won their conference championship game last weekend against a higher ranked Marshall so are closing out the season as winners. Clark has a strong rep as a HC but has not been interested in leaving UAB and seems happy where he is. Auburn played footsie with him but reports are he didn't want to engage in serious discussion.

However, Auburn seems to have found a HC if reports are accurate tonight. For those that don't know, Auburn has boosters that insert themselves into the athletic program. This year, one faction of boosters wanted Gus gone as HC and they ponied up the money to pay him to leave. But nobody had a plan for a HC to come in right behind him. Like Moses in the desert, Auburn wandered for 8 days interviewing some and getting turned down by others even before the interviews took place (I am in the Auburn radio market).

The issue preventing many HC's from taking the job seemed to be that boosters wanted a new HC to retain some of the current staff and most knowledgeable candidates would not go along with that. The fan base also seemed to think that they were a big time program that could pull in Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer, Hugh Freeze, or Clemson coordinator Brent Venables.

But they had to get somebody and it sounds like it will be Bryan Harsin who most recently has been the HC at Boise State. Before that he was the HC at Arkansas State. Auburn just fired Gus Malzahn as HC. Before that, he was the HC at Arkansas State (notice a pattern?).

Gus went 3 out of 5 as HC versus Saban. Better than any other current HC.

maracaGus_0_0_zps9k9zoytv.gif

But hope springs eternal on the Plains (of Auburn)

Only time will tell.

Ed

Slightly off topic, but something for the Alabama fans to appreciate:

Back in 2006, I was working in the environmental litigation department of a major U.S. insurance company. I was involved in one case that had been dragging along for well over ten years and was a huge mess. The case was being litigated in state court in California, but our insured was a big company that had operations all over the country. Something popped up in the state of Alabama and we had to scramble to hire local counsel pretty quickly - like within a day. We managed to find a law firm that cleared all the conflict checks and could take our case. We scheduled a conference call that afternoon with the firm to have an introduction and talk about what needed to file an appearance on our behalf, file motions, etc.

We get on the call and right after we say, "Hello, thanks for taking our case so quickly" the Very. First. Words. out of the managing partner's mouth were: "Well, we are just about on cloud nine right now..." When I heard him say this, I'm thinking to myself, "Wow, he must be really happy to get our business." [And well he should have been - a big, fat, rich client with a complicated case worth tons of billable hours just fell into his lap. That phone call alone was worth about $2k]. Then he finished his sentence with: "...to find out that Nick Saban is seriously considering coming to Alabama." I gave a little knowing nod because I remembered that a few of the guys in the office had been chatting about that earlier that day ("Hey - did you hear that Nick Saban is leaving Miami and looking at Alabama?"). Otherwise, I had forgotten about that tidbit of sports news until that phone call later in the day. Meanwhile, the lead counsel on the case is totally dumbfounded and mouthed to me: "Who's Nick Saban?"

I just found the whole episode amusing. Here is a room full of Yankee lawyers trying to deal with complex litigation and the folks in Alabama were celebrating like it is Mardi Gras. As far as I can remember, at that point Saban was just shopping around and I don't think he even committed yet to Alabama.

The only things before alabama football is God and family.

Sometimes, depending on the game, family dont rank so high.

Back in late 80s Bill Curry was HC at Alabama. He apparently didn't realize how much it meant to folks at Bama, the football that is. His minister had called to check on him and when Curry commented to him that he didn't College football was like a religion his minister told him, "Bill...it IS the religion". Poor Bill found out hard way that sometimes even bricks will be involved.

Good story, CT Yankee.

The SEC is strong with their college football affiliation. And probably because the players are only around 4 yrs or less, the head coach becomes the central character more so than in the NFL (for example). And the SEC has plenty of strong characters: Saban, Kiffin, Leach, Ed O all in our SEC West division alone.

And with Ed O chunking coordinators off the LSU ship and Dan Mullen being given a "show cause" this week, the character development continues.

Ed

PS - and I never liked Curry, tiggerdad. Even after coaching when he went into the tv broadcast booth for a while, I couldn't listen.

Alabama teammates Mac Jones, DeVonta Smith, and running back Najee Harris finish in the top five for the Heisman finalists. Alabama is the first team with three players in the top five in the Heisman vote since Army in 1946.

Speaking of Army, only one school has had teammates finish 1-2 in Heisman history: 1945 Army (Doc Blanchard won it, and Glenn Davis finished second). Alabama could pull that off this year.

Smith leads the country with 98 receptions and 1,511 yards receiving, while catching 17 touchdown passes. Jones has thrown for 3,739 yards and 32 touchdowns, with just four interceptions. Harris has 1276 yards on the ground with 24 touchdowns and averaged 5.9 yards every time he touched the football.

Trevor Lawrence is in at No. 3 and some guy from Florida was at No. 4. :rolleyes1

I listened to that game on radio. My dad and I were working on one of our tractors and had the radio in the truck turned up!

Good find!

Better than Shula...

Whoa now, I have to defend Mike Shula.

Did he have any head coaching experience? No.

Was he the hot up and coming assistant coach or coordinator (college or NFL)? No.

Well then what DID he have?

He had an Alabama alumni card (I saw him every Sunday at church during our student years a head taller than everyone else in the congregation).

And he had a football last name (Shula).

But most importantly, he was willing to take the job in freakin' MAY when Mike Price messed on the lawn and lost his job in a very public way after spring practice. What college football team has to go looking for a HC and full staff starting in May?

He did the best he could for four years and the Athletic Director (Mal Moore who ultimately hired Saban) did give him enough time to try to prove himself if he was to have the job any longer than that. That was all we could hope for back then. But there were some memorable moments....

Like beating Urban Meyer and the Florida Gators like a drum in Tuscaloosa in 2005. At the halftime (24-3 Bama) interview with a young Tracy Wolfson of CBS, Urban's head was spinning by lil' ol' Mike Shula:

The final score of that game was 31-3 Bama on top in the end. Shula took his foot off the gas in the second half (mercy rule). I was there for that one too.

Having lived very closely to the Curry years (his son dated my sister in high scrool) and the Shula years, the Shula years were better IMO (but neither were good). We should all be very grateful, though, to Mike Shula for his service to his alma mater. I say "God bless him" and "Thank You".

Just one man's opinion.

Bama Ed

PS - Merry Christmas you college football fans. :banana:

PPS - Mike's dad, ol' Don Shula, never believed his son deserved to be fired as Alabama HC after four failed years overall. Like all former HC's, they ALWAYS think the HC deserves "another year" when he's on the hot seat. So Don went to his grave carrying a grudge against Alabama (he was in attendance at every Bama game, er, loss) poor guy. Not that it matters now.

Last edited:
Whoa now, I have to defend Mike Shula.

Did he have any head coaching experience? No.

Was he the hot up and coming assistant coach or coordinator (college or NFL)? No.

Well then what DID he have?

He had an Alabama alumni card (I saw him every Sunday at church during our student years a head taller than everyone else in the congregation).

And he had a football last name (Shula).

But most importantly, he was willing to take the job in freakin' MAY when Mike Price messed on the lawn and lost his job in a very public way after spring practice. What college football team has to go looking for a HC and full staff starting in May?

He did the best he could for four years and the Athletic Director (Mal Moore who ultimately hired Saban) did give him enough time to try to prove himself if he was to have the job any longer than that. That was all we could hope for back than. But there were some memorable moments....

Like beating Urban Meyer and the Florida Gators like a drum in Tuscaloosa in 2005. At the halftime interview with a young Tracy Wolfson of CBS, Urban's head was spinning by lil' ol' Mike Shula:

The final score of that game was 31-3 Bama on top. Shula took his foot off the gas in the second half (mercy rule). I was there for that one too.

Having lived very closely to the Curry years (his son dated my sister in high scrool) and the Shula years, the Shula years were better IMO (but neither were good). We should all be very grateful, though, to Mike Shula for his service to his alma mater. I say "God bless him".

Just one man's opinion.

Bama Ed

PS - Merry Christmas you college football fans. :banana:

PPS - Mike's dad, ol' Don Shula, never believed his son deserved to be fired as Alabama HC after four failed years overall. Like all former HC's, they ALWAYS think the HC deserves "another year" when he's on the hot seat. So Don went to his grave carrying a grudge against Alabama (he was in attendance at every Bama game, er, loss) poor guy. Not that it matters now.
4 seasons

2003 went 4-9

2004 6-7, crown was losing star QB Brodie Croyle to ACL injury. He was still in game against a hopelessly outmatched Western Carolina. Bama was ahead 35-0 at the time...why still in game? I was at that one.

2005 went 10-2, crown was that blowout win you mentioned over Florida. He only took his foot off gas after Tyrone Prothro (many felt a strong contender for Heisman) broke his leg going up for a ball when he had no business still being in the game with such a lead. Prothro never played again...

2006 6-6, recorded 5th straight loss to Auburn. Crown that year was when the TV showed Mal Moore slam his hand into counter when Bama once again gave up a 4th quarter lead, which was Shula's claim to fame, leading regularly going into 4th quarters and ultimately losing.

Granted he inherited a team on probation, but it was always painfully obvious he had no head coaching potential. Yes, I liked his winning drive against Georgia and Auburn as a player, but he was horrible as a coach.

Anyway, it made Bama so terrible that Mal Moore knew he had to smash a homerun in order to make up for it. Of course, we all know who came next...

Gotta love football, the ups and the downs are all part of it.

As Ed mentioned, Merry Christmas everyone!

Yeah Shula was just a placeholder but at least we didn't have to listen to the Curry story about him being the next-to-last player picked in the 1964 NFL Draft by Lombardi's Green Bay Packers.

Curry told it ALL. THE. TIME.
Iconblah_zpspgzy3ryj.gif
As some sort of motivational talk I guess.

But those of us in our 20s back in the Curry years remember them as worse than Perk-the-Jerk years. Or, as I maintain, the Shula years.

These old memories open new wounds. :crutches:

Bama Ed

My team, the Wisconsin Badgers, played yesterday and won the "Duke's Mayo Bowl". The trophy was a beautiful football made of Waterford crystal!

download (1)_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

"was" is the operative word here. Our QB fumbled it during the post game celebration!

Wisconsin-players-shatter-Dukes-Mayo-Bowl-trophy-during-celebration (1).jpg

Luckily, the social media team at Duke's Mayo has a sense of humor and make this their new avatar:

GuRTvzrT_400x400.jpg

That's funny, robinb. But the Duke's people appear to never miss a chance to promote the brand. :rotfl:

I camped a few years ago in Key Largo in south Florida during New Years time when Wisconsin was playing in the Orange Bowl (it was on 12/30/17). And I was surprised at the Wisconsin fan turnout in the area for that game. (banners, logos on clothes, car flags, etc.)

Or maybe there are just a lot of retirees from Wisconsin who live/winter in the Miami/Lauderdale area. Anyway, it was a good showing of school spirit and Wisconsin beat the University of Miami 34-24.

Ed

Last edited:
What happened at the MS State / Tulsa game? Were they using the fight to try to add another win to their stellar 4-win seasons?

That's funny, robinb. But the Duke's people appear to never miss a chance to promote the brand. :rotfl:

I camped a few years ago in Key Largo in south Florida during New Years time when Wisconsin was playing in the Orange Bowl (it was on 12/30/17). And I was surprised at the Wisconsin fan turnout in the area for that game. (banners, logos on clothes, car flags, etc.)

Or maybe there are just a lot of retirees from Wisconsin who live in the Miami/Lauderdale area. Anyway, it was a good showing of school spirit and Wisconsin beat the University of Miami 34-24.

Ed
We Badgers are known to travel for bowl games. We are too darn cold in Wisconsin and look for any excuse to go someplace warm and a football game is a GREAT excuse. I had friends who went to that game. I was in WDW that year and watched the game from the bar in The Wave and then went into the MK for the 12/30 "NYE" fireworks. We used to go to WDW every Christmas and New Years and usually didn't miss a chance to go to a game in Orlando or Tampa. We even changed plans in 2013 because the Badgers were in the Rose Bowl (with Russ Wilson as QB). We bought 10-day tickets and started out in Florida, flew to LA and used the remaining days at Disneyland (they have since stopped allowing that) and then went to the Rose Bowl.

What happened at the MS State / Tulsa game? Were they using the fight to try to add another win to their stellar 4-win seasons?

I don't know what Tulsa's problem was, PTP. Apparently they had mouthed off pre-game too.

I am pulling for the SEC teams in bowl games (with one exception) and although Leach has a losing season his first year, a bowl win leaves a good taste in the fan's mouths during the off-season. And when you play in the meat grinder that is the SEC Western division with no cupcake games this season, the bottom half of the division is probably a little better than their record indicates.

Heck I even pulled for UAB earlier in the bowl season.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter