College Program Parents Thread...

:sad2:
QSFB/Custodial/attractions make up the largest portion of the College Program. It used to be anyone who put even the slightest interest in custodial got put in custodial.
It is true that if you really don't want a role it's best to put zero interest as they can place you in any role you show any interest in and they havea need.
My DDs have always been offered something that caught them off guard. One DD has been an assistant mgr at a large specialty clothing store. She thought for sure they would place her in merchandise. Nope! LOL

There are many jobs within QSFB...cleaning/restocking the condiment bars, refilling supplies whether it's food or whatever, wiping down tables, emptying trash cans in dining rooms, greeting/directing guests esp at busy times, filling the orders and handing orders over to guests, taking orders/cashiering, working grills/fryers, the carts.... They can get multiple jobs in one shift (similar to how those working attractions get moved around within the attraction) or they can get one job for an entire shift.
Most of the kids we know who worked "movable" food carts weren't as happy with the assignment a little later. During the warm months, there is no a/c at all and it requires quick mental math which in the heat can get to them fast when you have a long line.

From what we have witnessed (with multiple programs) is that very very few CPs (even ones with impeccable work records!) are offered full time. They are more likely to be offered P/T. And the bad part to that is the P/T CMs used to count on getting extra hours from the shifts that the CPs wanted to give away but can't anymore. :sad2:
That's what we're assuming will happen. I think she will give Disney set days she can work, then fill in at US/IoA. Even part-time would be terrific!!

Dd actually put custodial as an interest. She has had friends do custodial and loved it! And character work/attendant. But nope, she got attractions. She loves her job, but she had experience in character/attendant work. She was friends with Foghorn Leghorn, ScoobyDo and Sylvester the Cat the past two summers! So, we figure they like to put you in different spots than what you have experience in.

I keep hearing such conflicting info on roommates! It's all so confusing. She's hoping to share a bedroom with her friend from home (same check in date) & then live with several others in non-wellness.
Kept seeing that you don't find out who you are rooming with till check in, but watching many YouTube Vlogs, they all seemed to know!
So confused!

They have changed the system in the last couple years. In the past, the kids all went to Vista Way for checking and at that time, housing and roommates were assigned. Now, the kids can request roommate around 3 weeks beforehand checkin. You know where where you going to live before you arrive and now check in takes place at the apartment complex where they are going to live.

Last edited:
They have changed the system in the last couple years. I need the past, the kids all went to Vista Way for checking and at that time, housing and roommates were assigned. Now, the kids can request roommate around 3 weeks beforehand checkin. You know where where you going to live before you arrive and now check in takes place where they are going to live.
On the DCP parents page on FB I was told this is not the case, just last night.

Just wanted to say, I'm not arguing with you in any way, it's just that there's so much conflicting info & from reliable sources too, so that adds to the confusion for me.

And Disney does change up things. My DD and I have been pretty obsessed with the DCP for a couple months now and have done lots of research( looking at You Tube Videoclip!! Very scientific, I know!!) This is from the Disney Website......
Apartment/Roommate Assignments

Approximately 20 days prior to arrival, participants will be asked to pre-register for housing. During this pre-registration process, they will be able to indicate their apartment complex and unit size preferences. They may also be able to indicate specific roommate preferences.

Please note that all apartment space is shared. Most bedrooms are double occupancy, but some bedrooms are triple occupancy.

A detailed overview of the housing pre-registration system, DORMS, can be found on disneyprogramsblog.com/dorms.

Be sure to click on the above link. You will find lots of answers to your questions there.

And Disney does change up things. My DD and I have been pretty obsessed with the DCP for a couple months now and have done lots of research( looking at You Tube Videoclip!! Very scientific, I know!!) This is from the Disney Website......
Apartment/Roommate Assignments

Approximately 20 days prior to arrival, participants will be asked to pre-register for housing. During this pre-registration process, they will be able to indicate their apartment complex and unit size preferences. They may also be able to indicate specific roommate preferences.

Please note that all apartment space is shared. Most bedrooms are double occupancy, but some bedrooms are triple occupancy.

A detailed overview of the housing pre-registration system, DORMS, can be found on disneyprogramsblog.com/dorms.

Be sure to click on the above link. You will find lots of answers to your questions there.
Yes! That's why it's so confusing most of these girls seem to know who their roommates already are even though they have different checking dates and yet I'm told it's not always the case. Mind you this is ME completely obsessing DD isn't even thinking about housing at this point! Lol

and how do I found out about joining DCP parents Facebook page you were talking about?

I hope this works, I took a pic of the FB group the way it comes up in my phone. It's closed so you have to ask to join. It's for PARENTS/GUARDIANS not the DCP's themselves. Took them like 2 days to let me join. My name is Barbara BTW if you see me over there!

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 13
It is all very confusing but SO worth it! The CP Parent FB group mentioned above is the best resource available imo.

I'm on my third program as a mom. I've had one DD go random twice for roomies and one met a group through FB. All worked out great! When your DD gets her DORMS paperwork about three weeks before check-in, she will be given a chance to rank complex preferences and will also be given a specific number of people she may link with for roommates. Sometimes it's one and sometimes it's seven......it varies each check-in date. If they link it is not a guarantee but I'd say it's really close to one. They try very hard to honor roommate requests- they may not get complex choice, but they typically do get roommates if they were given the option to link together.

The kids you read about as "knowing" they would be together, did not actually know.....they assumed. :) You do not know anything other than complex before arriving. If the kids linked and then received notice of the same complex, they assumed(hoped) they would be together. Usually they are. My DD got all five of her requested girls and my random DD got first choice of complex/apartment size both times.

I hope she has a magical program!

It is all very confusing but SO worth it! The CP Parent FB group mentioned above is the best resource available imo.

I'm on my third program as a mom. I've had one DD go random twice for roomies and one met a group through FB. All worked out great! When your DD gets her DORMS paperwork about three weeks before check-in, she will be given a chance to rank complex preferences and will also be given a specific number of people she may link with for roommates. Sometimes it's one and sometimes it's seven......it varies each check-in date. If they link it is not a guarantee but I'd say it's really close to one. They try very hard to honor roommate requests- they may not get complex choice, but they typically do get roommates if they were given the option to link together.

The kids you read about as "knowing" they would be together, did not actually know.....they assumed. :) You do not know anything other than complex before arriving. If the kids linked and then received notice of the same complex, they assumed(hoped) they would be together. Usually they are. My DD got all five of her requested girls and my random DD got first choice of complex/apartment size both times.

I hope she has a magical program!

Yes, I've only been in it a very short amount of time but so far it seems great!
Right now, she only has no desire to live at Vista for the simple fact it's the only one that's on it's own & seems to have less space than the others.
She currently lives in an apartment off campus with her own laundry so she would LOVE to have that again.
She didn't get her first choice when she first went off to college and she was perfectly fine & had an awesome roommate who was assigned at random & they got along great.
It's me who is stressing, not her. She is very independent & doesn't get frazzled easily. I'm just worried that 1 - she is unfamiliar with the area & 2 won't have enough time to get her stuff together before she's training and working. Again - that's all me! She's not even thinking that far ahead!
However, if they knew who they were rooming with they could figure these things out beforehand, like she has in the past- they knew who was bringing the microwave, fridge, tv, toaster, keurig, etc.

I've seen so many YouTube videos of the kids greeting each other, giving each other roommate gifts & I'm over hear watching & thinking how did they know?!? LOL

My DD linked with a group did prepare gifts....She personalized the ones she linked with and left 2 others blank in case tgere were 8 girls. My other DD went random and did not do gifts.....no one else in her two apartments did either.

Don't over-think. They really don't need much and it's easy to grab stuff at Target and Wal-Mart. The kids generally like to do it themselves. Mine loved my $$ at Wal-Mart but we're happy to settle in with roomies. It's such a fun experience!

My DD linked with a group did prepare gifts....She personalized the ones she linked with and left 2 others blank in case tgere were 8 girls. My other DD went random and did not do gifts.....no one else in her two apartments did either.

Don't over-think. They really don't need much and it's easy to grab stuff at Target and Wal-Mart. The kids generally like to do it themselves. Mine loved my $$ at Wal-Mart but we're happy to settle in with roomies. It's such a fun experience!
I had no intention of helping her with gifts! I was just using it as an example as to how others seemed to know who they were going to room with. I know reading this makes me seem like a crazy over protective mom & that's totally not the case. DD is very independent. She has been reading the FB groups but other than trying to room with her friend from home, she's going totally random like she did for college.

She applied in Feb. & I didn't really say anything to anyone because it was her first time applying and we thought her chances might be slim. So she was only accepted less than a week ago so I'm still on cloud 9 over here.

So glad you found your way over to the FB page. Not sure where you saw that info though....my dd checked in on Sept 5. She was allowed to 'request' roommates about 3 weeks prior to her checkin date. Because she was checking in on the last available date, she could only link with two other girls. But, just because they can link, doesn't mean it's a sure thing. She did end up with the two girls she linked with, and the other three girls, they had originally hooked up with (6 girls total wanted to link), ended up together in another apt. They do check in at their specific apt complex. It goes very quickly! No more long waits for the parents!
My dd did gifts for her roommates. But, she had originally wanted to personalize them. When I reminded her that she couldn't be sure who she was going to be with, it would be a shame to spend the money and not be able to use the gifts!! So, she went with non-personalized gifts and the girls then did their own personalization when they were all together! Some spend a fair amount of money on gifts, some don't. Some don't even do gifts!

The DCP FB page is a wonderful place to gather info and vent. I've vented more times than I can count!!! Hope to see many of you over there!!!! I'm Diane over there btw!!!

So glad you found your way over to the FB page. Not sure where you saw that info though....my dd checked in on Sept 5. She was allowed to 'request' roommates about 3 weeks prior to her checkin date. Because she was checking in on the last available date, she could only link with two other girls. But, just because they can link, doesn't mean it's a sure thing. She did end up with the two girls she linked with, and the other three girls, they had originally hooked up with (6 girls total wanted to link), ended up together in another apt. They do check in at their specific apt complex. It goes very quickly! No more long waits for the parents!
My dd did gifts for her roommates. But, she had originally wanted to personalize them. When I reminded her that she couldn't be sure who she was going to be with, it would be a shame to spend the money and not be able to use the gifts!! So, she went with non-personalized gifts and the girls then did their own personalization when they were all together! Some spend a fair amount of money on gifts, some don't. Some don't even do gifts!

The DCP FB page is a wonderful place to gather info and vent. I've vented more times than I can count!!! Hope to see many of you over there!!!! I'm Diane over there btw!!!

I'm sorry for the confusion, I meant that yes they can link but it isn't guaranteed. I answered you over there too - it's a great group, I'm glad I found it!

My DD is at Daytona for Spring Break. They drove to Disney Springs for the afternoon. She so happy to be on Disney property!!! She was supposed to drive around the DCP apartment complexes before she went to DS but "forgot". Hope she gets a chance to see the apartments today to help her make a decision about where she wa to to live.

My DD is at Daytona for Spring Break. They drove to Disney Springs for the afternoon. She so happy to be on Disney property!!! She was supposed to drive around the DCP apartment complexes before she went to DS but "forgot". Hope she gets a chance to see the apartments today to help her make a decision about where she wa to to live.
Any reviews would be helpful. Please post her impressions.

I drove through the area when I was there in December. Will be interesting if she agrees with my opinion!

My son was accepted to the CP for Fall Advantage 2017. I have requested to be added to the FB page, but haven't been added yet - perhaps because he hasn't committed yet? I know it's his decision, but I'd really like access to the info there prior to his deciding to do the program or not. I have to confess to being slightly freaked out over the "drunken orgy" image I have running through my mind. You all have had kids, even multiple kids, do the program - help me off the ledge!

My son was accepted to the CP for Fall Advantage 2017. I have requested to be added to the FB page, but haven't been added yet - perhaps because he hasn't committed yet? I know it's his decision, but I'd really like access to the info there prior to his deciding to do the program or not. I have to confess to being slightly freaked out over the "drunken orgy" image I have running through my mind. You all have had kids, even multiple kids, do the program - help me off the ledge!
Has your ds lived away from home yet?? If so, those drunken orgies have probably happened already!!! Sorry, couldn't resist. I know there have been a ton of people asking to join the FB page, so just hang in there!!!They'll get to you!!
What kind of info are you looking for? My dd has been there since Sept...not coming home!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter