College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay problem here. How many classes are you allowed to take? Like can I do 2 ACE classes and then the engineering professional study?
I'm kinda starting to freak cause the main reason I'm doing the program is for the engineering class but I'll be taking two classes at my university. Disney said I could take time off for the class since it meets twice a week as if it were a Disney class. Does this mean I can't do the engineering class also?

Okay problem here. How many classes are you allowed to take? Like can I do 2 ACE classes and then the engineering professional study?
I'm kinda starting to freak cause the main reason I'm doing the program is for the engineering class but I'll be taking two classes at my university. Disney said I could take time off for the class since it meets twice a week as if it were a Disney class. Does this mean I can't do the engineering class also?

You can take up to 2 classes for the regular program, and up to 4 classes for the Advantage program.

Quick question:

I do not plan on taking any Disney courses while doing my program. Do you think I should bring a printer? Are there things I need to print?

If I do not take a printer, is there a place I could print things if I needed?

Thanks and have a magical day.

Quick question:

I do not plan on taking any Disney courses while doing my program. Do you think I should bring a printer? Are there things I need to print?

If I do not take a printer, is there a place I could print things if I needed?

Thanks and have a magical day.

I brought a printer and the only time I used it (outside of class) was to print resumes. However, each apartment complex has a computer lab - so if you plan accordingly then you should have no problems!

Northbridge is not (nor was it ever) a Disney housing complex. Northbridge did have some units that were leased to Walt Disney World College and International Programs, who then sub-leased the units to PI program participants. So, Northbridge has not been shut down, it is still there, just possibly not as many Disney Cast living there.

Also, like gray said they were dramatically cut. some went from having like 10 to have 1 intern! and I believe the internship I applied for(youth education facilitator) which is a department run solely on interns, went from 6 to 3. . .

Umm, not quite.

Disney's Youth Education Series has over 100 active facilitators. Of those, usually around 15 per semester are interns. This semester, the number of interns will be lower than 15 (I can't say how many, because I don't know for sure, but it is less than 15). The rest of the facilitators are either Seasonal or Part time Cast that are statused to YES, or cross-u cast members from other lines of business (this is the category I fall into)

Lauraebeth ... am I reading correctly that you'll be one of the YES interns for this coming semester? If so, congratulations, and welcome to the team. (Send me a PM with any YES specific questions that you may have, and I'll do my best to answer them)

Disney's Youth Education Series has over 100 active facilitators. Of those, usually around 15 per semester are interns. This semester, the number of interns will be lower than 15 (I can't say how many, because I don't know for sure, but it is less than 15). The rest of the facilitators are either Seasonal or Part time Cast that are statused to YES, or cross-u cast members from other lines of business (this is the category I fall into)

Eric,
I'm sending my DDs to the Homeschool Days and spoke with the person in charge of that (w/ YES) who told me they only hired 3 interns this semester, which is where Laura got her info (from me passing it on).

Can you tell me more about the cross-u category? It sounds interesting...

Also, if anyone is a current CM at AK and knows of someone that I could network my 10yo with regarding animal care and rescue, I would certainly appreciate it. She's not old enough for the backstage tour, but she is PASSIONATE about becoming an animal rescuer/caregiver and I would love to see if she could shadow someone for half a day or so.

Florida might be different in this regard, but here at the DLR, Cross-U (Cross Utilisation) is a programme by which Salaried Cast Members, especially those who work in office environments, pick up work shifts in the park during peak seasons to supplement the normal hourly frontline Cast.

For example, this past Christmas, we've had Salaried Cast Members working some of the Attractions in order to fill shifts that would have otherwise gone empty.

However, that being said, I have noticed that WDW does tend to use the term "Cross-U" in a different way than we do out here, so it might be something totally different over there.

Eric,
I'm sending my DDs to the Homeschool Days and spoke with the person in charge of that (w/ YES) who told me they only hired 3 interns this semester, which is where Laura got her info (from me passing it on).

Can you tell me more about the cross-u category? It sounds interesting...

3 seems awfully low ... i know that it's less than 15. (and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that there's a little bit of a disconnect between the sales folk and the way things actually end up happening.) I also know that one of the YES program managers commented that they were very happy with the people that they got"

Florida might be different in this regard, but here at the DLR, Cross-U (Cross Utilisation) is a programme by which Salaried Cast Members, especially those who work in office environments, pick up work shifts in the park during peak seasons to supplement the normal hourly frontline Cast.

Glen is correct. That's one definition of a cross-u cast member, and we do use it on this coast too. However, we have another definition that we also use, which is the one that applies to my situation with YES.

I'm statused (my "home") is at the Magic Kingdom. (not disclosing my location for privacy reasons). I auditioned for, and was accepted, as a Cross-U YES facilitator. What that means is that periodically, the YES program scheduler will send an email message to myself and my scheduler, asking if YES can use me on a given day, at a given time.

If my scheduler deems that there are enough other people available in our area, he will release me to YES for all or part of that day. If my scheduler releases me for the entire day, after my YES shift is done, I'm done for the day. If he only releases me for part of the day, then I can work with YES for that part of the day (generally, all the YES programs are in the morning/early afternoon), and then I'd have to work in my statused location after that. If there aren't enough people to support me being released to YES, then my scheduler lets me know this, I send an apologetic email to the YES scheduler saying I'm not available, and all is good.

In an average month, YES usually requests me for 2-3 days. I only know 4* of the programs that YES offers, and they also like to spread the work out among the facilitators. Some months, I don't get a cross-u request, some months, I get more (from Nov. 10 - Dec. 13, I spent all or part of 13 days with YES)

*I'm fully trained on 3 programs, and have been trained but still need to checkout on 1 ... 6 of those 13 days in Nov/Dec were to be trained on that 4th program. Also, 3 of them are because I'm a trainer for one of the programs (I train new facilitators), and we were having meetings regarding the upcoming training)

3 seems awfully low

Oh, it doesn't really when you look at how the whole PI thing went this semester. It was an ugly scene of cancelled after cancelled PIs. Even retail management, buh-bye. There were 2 different email rejections, one was the usual "found someone more qualified" and the other was "the position is no longer available". LOTS of those went out. :(

The cross-u sounds fascinating. If (keeping fingers crossed), I stay on with the company, I'd love to somehow get into the Institute or work with YES. Thanks for sharing what you do!

I have a quick question, which I'm sure has been discussed before (I just can't find it at the moment):

Will I find out what time my housing meeting is on the day that I check-in? And are the housing meetings typically in the afternoon?

My dad is helping me move in on the 21st, but his flight back home is around 3pm. We're trying to decided if I will have time to drive him to the airport, if he should take Disney "Magical Express" from our DVC, of if he should just take a cab to the airport from the apartments. I just wasn't sure how the schedule on check-in day would run, or if I won't find out the schedule until I check in.

I have a quick question, which I'm sure has been discussed before (I just can't find it at the moment):

Will I find out what time my housing meeting is on the day that I check-in? And are the housing meetings typically in the afternoon?

My dad is helping me move in on the 21st, but his flight back home is around 3pm. We're trying to decided if I will have time to drive him to the airport, if he should take Disney "Magical Express" from our DVC, of if he should just take a cab to the airport from the apartments. I just wasn't sure how the schedule on check-in day would run, or if I won't find out the schedule until I check in.

You will find out the time of the housing meeting when you check-in. Usually there are 2 meetings in a day, and the meetings are in the afternoon. If there are 2, the first one is early afternoon (around 12 or so), and the second one is later (around 3 or so). But the times can change every time.

When do you start being able to get into the parks for free?

Your complimentary park admission is tied with your WDW Cast ID, so as soon as you get that at your Traditions class, you can enter the parks by simply inserting it into the ticket turnstyle as you would a ticket.

If you try to use it the same day as your Traditions class, it might not work since it hasn't been activated, just swing by the Guest Relations window and they'll issue you a ticket.

Hey guys

Do we get free entrance to the Disney Waterparks?

No you do not. There are times when a 50% off waterpark admission is offered to cast members though. I know that last Jan-Feb when Blizzard Beach was closed, you got 50% off entrance to Typhoon Lagoon.

Hey guys

Do we get free entrance to the Disney Waterparks?

Usually not. Sometimes there will be a period where you can (like right now, CMs can get into one of the water parks for free til Feb 28). But usually CMs do have to pay to get into the water parks (unless you work in one, I believe).

I'm only a senior in HS right now, but I was wondering anyway...

I'm looking at very small liberal arts colleges for next year (if anyone's heard of Knox or Kalamazoo, I've been accepted to those already :goodvibes), and I doubt they'll grant credit for the college program. So if I decided to do it, would that basically amount to taking a semester off to work in WDW? I'd also really like to study abroad while in college, and my parents want me to graduate in four years. ACK! Can anyone provide insight into, well, any of this?

I'm looking at very small liberal arts colleges for next year (if anyone's heard of Knox or Kalamazoo, I've been accepted to those already :goodvibes), and I doubt they'll grant credit for the college program. So if I decided to do it, would that basically amount to taking a semester off to work in WDW? I'd also really like to study abroad while in college, and my parents want me to graduate in four years. ACK! Can anyone provide insight into, well, any of this?

If your college doesn't give you credit, then yes, its like taking a semester off. But its totally worth it! Just check with your advisor whenever you get to that point.

Congrats on the acceptances!

A few thoughts:

Disney offers classes on the College Program that are free to participants except for books, and they don't schedule you for work at times when the class is offered..and your school might give you credit for one of those if not for the "internship"

You also have the option of taking online classes or classes at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, or online while you are on your program

Or you could take classes over the summer or something either at your school or at another school and transfer those credits....it would all involve working with your school to see what that works but that also depends on where you end up going

If you have decided this program is for you, then there are definitely ways of making it work. I had credits when I came into college from AP courses, plus I took classes last summer (everyone at my school does that the summer after sophomore year), so I had two free terms off, though obviously not everyone is as lucky.

Hope that helped!

good to know it's not totally out of the question. thanks guys!

see, when i was little i had this whole scenario where i'd be ariel by day and an imagineer designing rides and living in cinderella castle by night... this was before the cinderella castle suite, when it was just an unused apartment for the disney family...so now the ariel bit might actually be possible. i know it's very, very rare for CPers to get pulled for face, but a girl can dream, right? princess:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter