• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

...Colorblind and all that is wrong with it.

I think context is important. The discussion was around how one treats people and values them and in that context some members mentioned their kids don't see color. So to say they are "blind" to the color of someone's skin when determining how to treat them or value them is different than completely dismissing someone's history and culture. I truly do think those things should be celebrated and appreciated and learned from - not just ignored or pretend don't exist

Though I also recognize I cannot know how hearing that word is perceived by someone that is an African American - or who isn't anything other than white male. So like Kevin mentioned this conversation has brought that to light (for him, me, and others I am sure) and we should be cognizant of how words can be received by others

This is an interesting and constructive conversation. I think I am in a different view than you guys because of my age. I am 18 years old and am a freshman in college. I have grown up not caring whether people around me are are black, white, brown, green, purple, whatever. I don't know if I would use the word color blind but honestly I don't know what other choice of words I would use either.

I went to a diverse high school. I grew up in a suburb in which a good amount of kids were from outside the city. It did not bother me nor did it bother anyone else I knew. I would consider myself to have been "one of the popular" kids at school too.

Some have brought up the "majority" and "minority" terms. I don't see things that way. Today out of the kids that are born more are of other ethnicities than white. While I'm sure people will continue to use those terms they soon won't be true based on how our populations are shifting.

But it is. Your arguments you presented are nothing but a strawman Going forward our generation doesn't see anyone as a color we see them as a person.
Wanna talk about race? Cool -- how about the 500+ black on black murders in my city? Chicago, and the 3,000+ black on black shootings.
I think we should focus on that more than a Michael Kors fashion show. Or does that not fit your narrative of whiteee privilegeeeeee.

Sure, we should but thats not the topic at hand right now. My narrative? You're funny. To answer your question though yes, lets talk. So you have large cases of black on black shootings. Guns are easily accessible because our gun laws are sad and pathetic. Ask Australia they think were idiots. We have in essence said having a gun is more important than the lives of little children. Now you have the NRA, southern and Midwesterners crying to save their patriotic right to bare arms but within their town there isn't as many shootings or crimes. They fail to see why the law needs to change and the NRA won't allow actually research to be done to prove that guns need tighter regulation. The NRA gets rich because people buy more guns to protect themselves. More illegal guns get placed out into the country, more black people die. Cops feel "threatened' shoot innocent black men and women, the circle just continues.

Hey Queen2PrincessG...

I am hoping you don't feel like we are ganging up on you.

This is a good discussion to have and we can all learn from it.

I learned today (from two eloquent sources) that the word "colorblind", while innocuous to some, holds a different meaning to others.

On the show, I used the phrase "words matter" and so does intent.

If using the word "colorblind" causes someone else pain, I will stop using that phrase...but I can also say that there was no intent to hurt anyone.

It was exactly the opposite.

Sorry, life interrupted. Kevin I completely believe that you had no ill intent. I was only pointing out how how offensive some people, including myself find the term. I think younger people don't really understand and have been lucky in their interactions. I though can tell you that my 6 year old has already had interactions with a teammate who didn't consider her family, a motto in their gym, because "they don't have black people in their family". Yes, it was intended that way. Snarky comments aside I think many non POC think why the fuss? Stop being sensitive. When for years and currently, I mean we have a a person seeking Presidency that is supported by the KKK. A legitimate candidate that openly embraces the support of a hate group. We have struggled to just be seen as equal, how can you not be upset. How can you not want your accomplishments to be noted, not special treatment, just noted because it is hard. Everyday you're fighting to be great because you know that there are people in the world who think less of you because of your color.

Last edited:
I mean we have a a person seeking Presidency that is supported by the KKK. A legitimate candidate that openly embraces the support of a hate group. We have struggled to just be seen as equal, how can you not be upset. How can you not want your accomplishments to be noted, not special treatment, just noted because it is hard. Everyday you're fighting to be great because you know that there are people in the world who think less of you because of your color.

I have no explanation.

I spent many years trying to hide who I was and sometimes I could because it wasn't outwardly visible...no matter how much I thought it was.

I know it's not the same, but it's the closest I have to this experience.

I guess the best thing I can do is tell you I'm on your side.

Thanks for this conversation. It was a brave thing to do.

I was only pointing out how how offensive some people, including myself find the term.
I totally get and respect that and was also unaware that it held negative connotations.

So what's the preferred term? How should we describe the notion that our kids (my daughter is 21 today) simply don't see race, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. as a factor when interacting with others? It's a remarkable situation that is heartwarming to witness. There really ought to be a good word for it.

I totally get and respect that and was also unaware that it held negative connotations.

So what's the preferred term? How should we describe the notion that our kids (my daughter is 21 today) simply don't see race, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. as a factor when interacting with others? It's a remarkable situation that is heartwarming to witness. There really ought to be a good word for it.
I sadly don't know. The action of acceptance is bigger than any word we have.

I would like to know and use the correct word as well. The problem is there no agreement or authority to select the term, whatever term is coin will be considered offensive tomorrow.
I am trying to learn, I am trying to be sensitive but this conversation fatigues me. I am willing to change my vocabulary, my speech but there is no end to it.
Recently, I learned that African Americans is now offensive, because it implies they are not real Americans and is linked to slavery. I can understand that. I asked someone recently and they said the correct term is now "black Americans." Someone else told me its "people of color." Ugh, that sounds offensive even to me.
It's a beautiful, lovely culture and I can't even refer to it without offending someone. All I can say is every African American in my life are made of gold, they are classy, religious, smart and fantastic friends.
I tire of trying to keep up with the latest buzz words, much like LBGTQIA+ or whatever we are up to now.
I wish instead that my behavior, my kindness, my treatment of others, my intentions are what people judge me on. This is why intentions are so important, they are more lasting then buzz words.

Appreciate NeuroCindy and Queen2PrincessG for bringing up these issues. I couldn't even stand to watch this week's DIS Unplugged because I saw all the comments attacking people of color for being 'too sensitive' and saying that 'PC culture is destroying America' and I knew that whatever was said in the podcast would only upset me further. I think it's sad that we can't just allow indigenous Polynesians the respect for their cultures that they deserve, and I saw a Māori person in the YouTube comments trying to explain the significance of the tattoos and of Maui but no one cared.

There are certain people on the DIS team that I still want to support but the thought of watching another podcast and seeing/hearing such disregard...I'll probably just unsub. It makes me sad because I usually enjoy the podcast but... (and no I don't expect anyone to care that I'm unsubbing because I'm one in thousands...but I wanted to put my opinion out here anyways.)

Thanks again to NeuroCindy and Queen2PrincessG. <3

I'm wrong, excuse me he had three black females. Lets bow down. It is still cultural appropriation. Again why not use black models with naturally dreaded hair?

To stay on topic though, It's insulting to say you are colorblind especially when you are the majority. The implied idea that the Pacific people are being upset just to be upset is rude. The idea that you would over look the struggles of multiple cultures to try and appear unbiased is just as rude.

Never once did I say or imply that I Overlook the struggles of multiple cultures to try and appear unbiased.

The word you're looking for is appropriation. Not "apportion."

I sincerely believe that what Theresa meant is that her children don't perceive other children differently due to the color of their skin. Many, many people use the phrase "color blind," especially when talking about children, to express the idea that while children certainly take note of the appearances (including skin color, hair color, etc...) of those around them, they are not born with the inclination to deem others as more or less "worthy" (of their consideration, attention, time, respect, etc...) than others due to those appearances. That is something that is TAUGHT.

You are injecting a meaning into the phrase that is absolutely not intended or implied. Consider trying to take it as it's meant instead of as you choose to hear it?

Thank you.

Question. How are we suppose to raise kids who look past color but then expect them to be racially sensitive?

By breaching the subject alone you are starting a them vs us dialog. Until we aren't expected to have these conversations we will never get past race. Sorry but people who scream racial insensitivity are perpetuating racism.

Question. How are we suppose to raise kids who look past color but then expect them to be racially sensitive?

By breaching the subject alone you are starting a them vs us dialog. Until we aren't expected to have these conversations we will never get past race. Sorry but people who scream racial insensitivity are perpetuating racism.
Ignoring racism doesn't make it go away. And it's sad that you think there can't be discussions about diversity and race that doesn't turn into an us vs. them. Do some research on how to talk to kids about race; people of color have had to have these conversations for necessity.

Ignoring racism doesn't make it go away. And it's sad that you think there can't be discussions about diversity and race that doesn't turn into an us vs. them. Do some research on how to talk to kids about race; people of color have had to have these conversations for necessity.
But ignoring race would make racism go away. Right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter