Company research

I've read Glassdoor reviews before and take them with a grain of salt. Everyone always wants more or something different out of their employer. IMO, its rare to find an employee that doesn't have at least one minor gripe about their employer.

The only thing I'd trust is if you are consistently seeing something over and over again - i.e. long hours, poor PTO, poor medical, etc. That should tell you something is really off about that. But if its varied, I would say its subjective. It might not work for *some* people, while its just fine for others. I also think something like work/life balance and work hours can vary drastically by manager and position, so the reviews you're reading on that might not be relevant.

One of the odder situations was when I was looking for a job and had multiple contacts with a recruiter. I didn't get a job with this company, but a few months later I was speaking to the same recruiter, only he was working at another company. I briefly mentioned that I remembered him from our past contacts. Without any prompting, he started badmouthing his former employers, and more or less told me it wasn't worth going there. He even said that they a cash crunch and weren't reliably paying their employees. Of course he couldn't say that in their employ. I've certainly signed a non-disparagement agreement when I was laid off before, but I'm not sure if he did or even if they could do anything about it.

I've read Glassdoor reviews before and take them with a grain of salt. Everyone always wants more or something different out of their employer. IMO, its rare to find an employee that doesn't have at least one minor gripe about their employer.

The only thing I'd trust is if you are consistently seeing something over and over again - i.e. long hours, poor PTO, poor medical, etc. That should tell you something is really off about that. But if its varied, I would say its subjective. It might not work for *some* people, while its just fine for others. I also think something like work/life balance and work hours can vary drastically by manager and position, so the reviews you're reading on that might not be relevant.

It was actually Glassdoor that got me concerned...lol. A company this large has a ton of people in a zillion departments with a similar job title, just because a banker in London or NYC thinks the work life balance is crap has nothing to do with my work. They hand out similar titles to mine to those guys like candy...my role is different and I have all the facts I can at this point. Now one final interview and we'll see if this research was worth the time, but I figure I need to know if I would accept an offer at this point. Since we've discussed comp so much, I *think* one is coming.

One of the odder situations was when I was looking for a job and had multiple contacts with a recruiter. I didn't get a job with this company, but a few months later I was speaking to the same recruiter, only he was working at another company. I briefly mentioned that I remembered him from our past contacts. Without any prompting, he started badmouthing his former employers, and more or less told me it wasn't worth going there. He even said that they a cash crunch and weren't reliably paying their employees. Of course he couldn't say that in their employ. I've certainly signed a non-disparagement agreement when I was laid off before, but I'm not sure if he did or even if they could do anything about it.

That would have made me so uncomfortable. Yikes.

I am a bit surprised a professional isn't utilizing LinkedIn - for information, contacts, contacts of contacts...

I am a bit surprised a professional isn't utilizing LinkedIn - for information, contacts, contacts of contacts...

Because of the security and public nature of linked in; It’s not safe for me due to a former abuser situation.

Private mode. The OP doesn't seem to trust the source she used. The only other solution is to take the job, and leave if she doesn't like it.

Private mode. The OP doesn't seem to trust the source she used. The only other solution is to take the job, and leave if she doesn't like it.

I think you are missing the issue. The OP doesn’t use LinkedIn because it could tell an abusive ex where she works. You can’t block people on LinkedIn like Facebook.

Okay, well, then her options are
  • Trust the Glassdoor reviews and take the job if it's offered
  • Trust the Glassdoor reviews but don't take the job*
  • Forget that she ever heard of Glassdoor and take the job*
  • Don't take the job*
  • Ask someone with a LinkedIn account to find information for her

*again, if an offer is made

I think you are missing the issue. The OP doesn’t use LinkedIn because it could tell an abusive ex where she works. You can’t block people on LinkedIn like Facebook.

Yep. I’ve played that game before. He knows what city I’m in, if he knows the corporation, it’d be easy to find me. Too much risk.

And yeah, maybe they won’t hire me. I’ve decided not to let some disgruntled reviews hold me back from what was a top pick firm, so here’s hoping! Now I need good vibes for Monday!

Before I had kids, the work-life balance meant much less to me than the pay. You got married this year and now have step-kids, right? Once I became a mom, I was satisfied to make low six-figures and don't care that I could make double (or more) in private practice because at my current job I walk out the door at 3:30pm and am home with my kids after school and never have to work weekends. We are comfortable, want for nothing, take vacations, have good cars (a 2011 and a 2014 Subaru), so while I could make more at a different job, I think I have a pretty sweet gig right now.

Before I had kids, the work-life balance meant much less to me than the pay. You got married this year and now have step-kids, right? Once I became a mom, I was satisfied to make low six-figures and don't care that I could make double (or more) in private practice because at my current job I walk out the door at 3:30pm and am home with my kids after school and never have to work weekends. We are comfortable, want for nothing, take vacations, have good cars (a 2011 and a 2014 Subaru), so while I could make more at a different job, I think I have a pretty sweet gig right now.

That’s exactly where I am:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter