Complete: Kawaii - Nov 2014 a 4 night stay at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel

Day 4 - Leaving the resort & the land of the raising sun.

So our trip was over. Getting the bus from the hotel was super easy. I booked and paid for our tickets at the Bell Services the day before.

There was a cute little dolls house in the lobby I snapped some pictures of while we were waiting.

DSC03532.JPG DSC03533.JPG DSC03534.JPG DSC03535.JPG

We finished packing and took our suitcases to the bus stop. It was drizzling this morning.

DSC03863.JPG
Fortunately the bus stop was covered. The CM in the top-hat took our bags and put a label on them so they knew which terminal we were getting off at.

DSC03865.JPG
The bus was very efficient. We jumped on, sat down and about 1 hr later we were at Narita. Something interesting happened, a security guy boarded our bus and we had to show him our passports before the bus was allowed into the airport.

Check in was uneventful and we did get club seats on the way home which was great.

We dropped back our MiFi gadget and paid for it. I cannot tell you how useful the MiFi was during our trip. Having unlimited, constant access to the internet was great.

Air side there wasn't that much to do, so we grabbed a quick breakfast, looked around the shops and then boarded the plane.

Gelatoni decided he wanted to sit on my seat and listen to some tunes.

DSC03870.JPG

The flight back was uneventful. All that was left was the bitter sweet feelings of a great trip and to look over the photos of our lovely holiday. :sad:

All in all Japan, Tokyo and Tokyo Disney all completely blew me away! The culture was amazing and everyone I encountered was so kind and helpful.

The attention to detail and general level of maintenance at the Disney Parks was second to none. I could just imagine how good WDW and DLP could be if they could match this level of maintenance and upkeep.

If you're contemplating going to Japan and aren't 100% sure because of language worries or food worries or any worries. I say just put the worries to the side and go anyway.

We literally didn't encounter any issues with anything while we were there (except for me not being 100%).

Worried about food? There is so much western style food in Tokyo (and Disney of course) you really don't need to worry. If you want traditional Japanese food there, of course, is plenty of that too!

Worried about the language barrier? Everyone is so kind and patient they'll either find someone who can speak English or they'll help you as best they can. For the subway, a lot of the signs are in English too. If you get a MiFi gadget you'll have unlimited access to the internet and so just download the subway app in English, google translate and use googlemaps for everything else.

Worried about cultural differences? Like I said the Japanese are so friendly and they realize you're a tourist, they'll give you directions on what to do in certain situations. Also the internet is a big help for understanding Japanese politeness/etiquette if you're really worried about it.

Also I purchased the lonely guide to Tokyo which was a really big help! I scribbled in that guide book so much!

Thank you so much for reading my trip report I hope you've all enjoyed it. I might continue this trip report by going back to the beginning of my trip (like the Star Wars timeline) and show the photos of my 3 days in Tokyo.

It was a great trip and the cat was definitely happy that I was back home.

"What is this? You are unpacking? In that case I would like to sit in this large fabric box."

DSC03327.JPG

Thank you for reading.

ezgif-18757947132.gif

Last edited:
Ah so cute Galatoni enjoying his first plane ride Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip we cant wait to go back.Im not so good at trip reports thats why i dont post mine.Beautiful cat he must have missed you.I could not buy so many things as my boys brought masses of used games and consoles which were a nightmare to pack.I regret not buying a Samantha Therasa bag i saw in Tokyo next visit i will get one.

Loved your TR! I just learned we will be in Japan this December and after reading your TR I'm really excited to go now!

Ah so cute Galatoni enjoying his first plane ride Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip we cant wait to go back.Im not so good at trip reports thats why i dont post mine.Beautiful cat he must have missed you.I could not buy so many things as my boys brought masses of used games and consoles which were a nightmare to pack.I regret not buying a Samantha Therasa bag i saw in Tokyo next visit i will get one.

You should definitely get something for yourself. Its nice to have a item which reminds you of a trip. Good luck planning.

Loved your TR! I just learned we will be in Japan this December and after reading your TR I'm really excited to go now!

You'll absolutely love it. The Christmas decorations in the park are really beautiful. Don't forget to check out the Christmas decorations in the resorts too if you have time.

Episode 1 - The Tokyo Menace

Day 1 - Our 1st steps in Japan and Imperial city

Hello I'm back!

As promised I'm going to add the 3 days we spent in Tokyo before heading to Tokyo Disney Resort.

I guess the 1st place to start is arriving in Haneda. Once we'd picked up our luggage we rented our Mifi gadget and headed towards the train. I can't remember the exact journey but we did an over ground train into central Tokyo and then got the Hanzomon line to Hanzomon station. Our hotel was literally a stones throw away from the entrance to the subway station, thanks Trivago!

You can see from the photo below that the signage in the Tokyo subway system is really good! I was super easy to find our way around.

DSC03338.JPG
And it was so clean!!! I say this to everyone I've ever told about Tokyo... its the only underground system that I've ever been in that smells, well, nice. It actually smells good in the subway. Weird.

DSC03335.JPG
It was about 10am when we got to our hotel and we couldn't check in until 3pm so we dropped off our bags and went to explore. We decided to walk to (and explore) the Imperial Palace. It took us about 20 minutes to get there from the hotel. The weather was lovely! The Imperial Palace was free to enter too. Bonus.

IMAG1487.jpg
View attachment 116661
Old in the foreground with modern Tokyo in the background.

IMAG1489.jpg
Its hard to make out in the photo but there were some huge fish eating out of a feeder. A swan decided it wanted in on the action too.

IMAG1493.jpg
So that's what Tokyoites do when their gold fish get to big. Abandon them in the imperial city moat.

IMAG1495.jpg
I have no idea why i took this picture with the scaffolding in it.

IMAG1496.jpg
It was really beautiful.

IMAG1497.jpg

We then decided to walk over to Tokyo train station to find a coffee shop. I snapped this along the way. Never before have I been in a city that is so CLEAN!

IMAG1501.jpg

IMAG1498.jpg

After coffee (tea for me) we decided as we had 3 hours to kill to go to the Tokyo Skytree. An excerpt from Wikipedia:

Tokyo Skytree(東京スカイツリー Tōkyō Sukaitsurī?) is a broadcasting, restaurant, and observation tower inSumida, Tokyo, Japan. It reached its full height of 634.0 metres (2,080 ft) in March 2011, making it the tallest tower in the world, displacing theCanton Tower, and the second tallest structure in the world after Burj Khalifa

Photos on the next update...

Last edited:

Day 1 - Woh! That is high! Tokyo Skytree.

We took the Tobo Skytree line and arrived at the Skytree station (easy!). There is a big shopping area underneath the sky tree and we found the best store ever! A Studio Ghibli shop! It was the most amazing and kawaii things inside!

My one regret from this trip (other than being unwell) was not buying anything from this shop. It... was... great!

And here's the tower. It was really really really really really really really really really tall!

IMAG1502.jpg

Seriously, it was freakishly tall. How can my mum who is scared of heights (and struggles to ride a tall roller coaster) be happy to go up this?!

We had to wait for about 45 minutes which included queuing for a ticket and then queuing for the lifts but it was worth it. The lifts were amazing. They are so fast! There is a big count down that shows when the doors close and some beautiful lights pulse and flicker. Its like being at Disney!

Was it worth the wait? I'll let the photos do the talking...

IMAG1503.jpg IMAG1505.jpg IMAG1506.jpg IMAG1507.jpg IMAG1508.jpg

We can literally say we saw the whole of Tokyo in our 1st day there. :)

After the sky tree we had a look around the shopping area and then jumped back on the subway to our hotel.

We checked in freshened up and headed out for dinner. We went to a small local noodle bar. The menu was entirely in Japanese and we had to use a small vending machine to place our orders. But the menu had photos and plastic food out front (more on this later). With my amazing deducting skills I managed to order us the correct thing!

IMAG1511.jpg IMAG1512.jpg

Exhausted we walked back to the hotel and went to sleep.

Next up Day 2 - Tokyo Fish market.

Attachments

• IMAG1504.jpg
    IMAG1504.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 3
Day 1 - Woh! That is high! Tokyo Skytree.

We took the Tobo Skytree line and arrived at the Skytree station (easy!). There is a big shopping area underneath the sky tree and we found the best store ever! A Studio Ghibli shop! It was the most amazing and kawaii things inside!

My one regret from this trip (other than being unwell) was not buying anything from this shop. It... was... great!

And here's the tower. It was really really really really really really really really really tall!

View attachment 116673

Seriously, it was freakishly tall. How can my mum who is scared of heights (and struggles to ride a tall roller coaster) be happy to go up this?!

We had to wait for about 45 minutes which included queuing for a ticket and then queuing for the lifts but it was worth it. The lifts were amazing. They are so fast! There is a big count down that shows when the doors close and some beautiful lights pulse and flicker. Its like being at Disney!

Was it worth the wait? I'll let the photos do the talking...

View attachment 116674 View attachment 116676 View attachment 116677 View attachment 116678 View attachment 116679

We can literally say we saw the whole of Tokyo in our 1st day there. :)

After the sky tree we had a look around the shopping area and then jumped back on the subway to our hotel.

We checked in freshened up and headed out for dinner. We went to a small local noodle bar. The menu was entirely in Japanese and we had to use a small vending machine to place our orders. But the menu had photos and plastic food out front (more on this later). With my amazing deducting skills I managed to order us the correct thing!

View attachment 116685 View attachment 116686

Exhausted we walked back to the hotel and went to sleep.

Next up Day 2 - Tokyo Fish market.

Love your picture of Mum having dinner she looks so happy .I saw a lady with a cloth cleaning in the subway amazing never seen a cleaner in other western subways everything so wonderfully clean . My kids went in that shop you will have to go back

Love your picture of Mum having dinner she looks so happy .I saw a lady with a cloth cleaning in the subway amazing never seen a cleaner in other western subways everything so wonderfully clean . My kids went in that shop you will have to go back

Did you kids buy anything, I swear if I was a millionaire I would have purchased everything in there! :P

Episode 2 - The Cat Wars

Day 2 - 5:00am Tokyo Fish Market?

As we were completely jet lagged from the flight (which wasn't helping with my recovery from illness lol) we had decided the next morning to get up at the crack of dawn and head down to the Tokyo Fish market for no. 1 of my bucket list. Eat super fresh Sushi for breakfast!

The Subway was completely empty this time of the morning which was quite nice.

I took a picture of the vending machine because reasons...

DSC03336.JPG
I loved the little man on this drink. It make me laugh.

DSC03337.JPG

It was a bit disorientating at the fish market becuase it was so huge! However we found an English leaflet that explained we could go and queue and *maybe* get in to see the Tuna auctions but we couldn't enter the actual fish wholesale area until 9am. We decided we didn't really want to go to the tuna markets and went looking for a sushi restaurant.

There were a lot of them!

DSC03341.JPG
I had no idea which one would be "the best" so we settled for one which had the 2nd longest line (the sheep that we are). The restaurant with the longest line went all the way around the block. :eek:

Here is the menu, I went for the set menu. (3,500 yen ~ £20.. well i knew it wasn't going to be cheap!)

DSC03349.JPG
Here we are queuing with the tourists and business men.

DSC03350.JPG
The name of the restaurant I guess.

DSC03351.JPG
And here we are... The "chef"?? was really nice and was able to tell me the names of the fish in English. It was fun trying to interact with him.

IMAG1517.jpg

The fish was so good! Especially the tuna which was so deep red and just delicious. My mum really like the roe rolls so I let her have most of them.

After our meal arigatou gozaimasu we paid and headed into the market. I was on the look out for some chopsticks.

DSC03339.JPG
Little tiny dried fish.

DSC03340.JPG
Look at all the see weed!

DSC03342.JPG

Day 2 - Here fishie fishie fishie...

Lime = my favorite citrus flavour and here in Japan they have Super Lime! This little sign made me giggle.

DSC03344.JPG

DSC03345.JPG
I love checking out local vegetables.

DSC03346.JPG
DSC03347.JPG

Look at the size of those crab legs! Woh!

DSC03358.JPG
More great seafood.

DSC03359.JPG
I found some really cool chopsticks but I didn't buy them.

DSC03361.JPG
These next two pictures are whale meat. Whatever your option on the matter is (I don't think we should kill whales) it was being sold here. However I don't think its too popular as this was the only stall I found with it being sold.

DSC03362.JPG DSC03363.JPG DSC03364.JPG

Last edited:
Day 2 – Are the fish inside a Buddhist Temple?

DSC03365.JPG DSC03366.JPG DSC03367.JPG DSC03368.JPG

After looking at the outside market we still had a bit of time to kill before being allowed into the whole sale area so we backtracked to this Buddhist temple.

DSC03357.JPG
There were zodiac animals around the temple.

DSC03355.JPG DSC03354.JPG
The inside was beautiful and it smelt of incense.

IMAG1521.jpg IMAG1519.jpg
Back outside we heard of a shrine that was near by which was good luck for the fishermen so we headed over that way.

On the way we saw rice balls! I love these.

IMAG1522.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2 – Is this a shrine to the fish? No wait they’re over here!

We found the shrine.

DSC03370.JPG
Inside a hut was a huge lions head (at least I think it was a lion)

DSC03371.JPG
There was a stone plinth for each of the zodiac animals and a bowl of marbles in each. Maybe for good luck?

DSC03374.JPG
DSC03375.JPG
And an awkward photo to prove we were there.

DSC03379.JPG
After we'd finished at the shrine it was time for the market!

Beware there are lots of fish pictures coming up! You've been warned.

DSC03383.JPG
Hey look, Fish!

DSC03384.JPG
Inky squid... yummy?

DSC03385.JPG
Hello funny crab.

DSC03386.JPG
Mum and fish... what else?

DSC03387.JPG

more fish pictures on the way!

Last edited:
Day 2 – I found a lot of fish.

Look at the size of those fish fillets!

DSC03388.JPG
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think this is tuna. Look at the size of it compared to my hand!

DSC03389.JPG
There is a fish in there... somewhere.

DSC03390.JPG
More fish!

DSC03391.JPG
It was very dark inside the market and the ceiling was quite low too.

DSC03392.JPG
And the award for the ugliest fish goes to this fellow here. Oh man he is one ugly fish.

DSC03394.JPG DSC03395.JPG
The area photographed below was actually quite scary. There were pallet trucks and fork lift trucks whizzing all over the place. We tried to keep to the walkways but they weren't very clear!

DSC03397.JPG

However we did make it out alive. Yey!

After the fish market we decided to go back to the hotel and have a rest ready for our evening in Shinjuku and the cat cafe.

Last edited:
No kids never brought anything there but they broke the budget with video games and systems else where.I wish we had gone to fish market its on the list for next trip.Thank you for sharing bet sushi was so fresh.

Loving your trip report! Really grateful for your japan photos as well as tdr - bring on the cat cafe as we are definitely going there

No kids never brought anything there but they broke the budget with video games and systems else where.I wish we had gone to fish market its on the list for next trip.Thank you for sharing bet sushi was so fresh.

Its definitely worth the early rise.

Loving your trip report! Really grateful for your japan photos as well as tdr - bring on the cat cafe as we are definitely going there

The cat cafe was one of the definite highlights of this trip! If you want weird Japanese things a cat cafe ticks that box although i hear they are becoming more popular all over the world.

Day 2 - Its evening and the cats are taking over Shinjuku!

I once watched a documentary about Shinjuku train station which is the busiest in the world. The documentary said that trains are literally scheduled to the second and even a 10 second delay can have disastrous consequences as the station really is that busy. When you see videos of Japanese people being literally squeezed onto trains its usually at Shinjuku.

Fortunately we arrived well past rush hour but it was still extremely busy!

Here's the photo to prove I was there :)

DSC03441.JPG

I loved the Shinjuku area. When I think of Tokyo this is what I imagine.

The most interesting thing for me was that its very vertically built. A lot of the department stores and shops had signs at street level that said "Shop name 5F" which meant this shop is located on the 5th floor of this building.

DSC03439.JPG

With the help of google maps and our wifi gadget we found the cat cafe which was located on the 5th and 6th floors of the building.

DSC03432.JPG

When we got there we were given our passes which had the time that we entered on them. The attendant was really nice and explained to us in English the rules.

Obviously no outside shoes (there were slippers for us), you pay 1,000 yen for the first hour and 600 for every half hour there after. We could order drinks and snacks once we were inside (for us and the cats) and we could help ourselves to any books/manga that was on the shelves to read.

Here is mum being my dazzling assistant and showing what the pass looked like.

10614148_10152538872448720_546451997301384541_n.jpg

And of course there are cats!

DSC03400.JPG

Sleeping cats...

DSC03399.JPG

and non-sleeping cats.

IMAG1527.jpg

It was really cool and very very weird!

IMAG1526.jpg

I had a chai tea and mum had a coffee. We also purchased some little chicken pieces for the kitties. All of a sudden i was everyone's friend. One cat had even decided to match my dress.

10410676_10152538872278720_1644161462078259528_n.jpg 13257_10152538872553720_8853778500072031448_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter