Complicated old ticket question

If true, it's all Disney playing games again because someone "smart" in management decided it would make them more money and get liabilities off their books.

At the end of the day, anyone who pushes this issue will receive an annual pass like they purchased or a refund through Disney, or at the very least through a court.

You can't sell something to someone and then force them to pay more for a "different" model product or lose that money

If true, it's all Disney playing games again because someone "smart" in management decided it would make them more money and get liabilities off their books.

At the end of the day, anyone who pushes this issue will receive an annual pass like they purchased or a refund through Disney, or at the very least through a court.

You can't sell something to someone and then force them to pay more for a "different" model product or lose that money

I was told that refunds would be given if someone preferred not to pay any fee to upgrade into the current pass.

Like I said, we will see if we get any more reports now that it is 2024.

I will be renewing my AP next week…so am going to ask again…though I no longer have anyone that still had the gold voucher.

Like Sandi said, the vouchers still have the value of what was paid but they will no longer be converted for free after 2023 - is what I was told by numerous CMs. Disney will refund your original payment if you don't want to pay the difference to convert them into an AP that is currently offered, which I didn't since I paid $559 per DVC Gold Pass voucher in 2018. I probably would have taken the refund if I hadn't found this out and activated them on our trip in October since the AP prices now are so pricey.

I am assuming (and hoping!) our old tickets are going to still be valid since they are actual tickets and not vouchers that need to be converted. I have old non-expiry and old regular tickets.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any 2024 information on this? It seems as if I find myself in a similar boat--purchased three gold passes in February 2020 and planned on activating/using them this June. I have done a chat and received various answers---the last of which was that I would need to pay to upgrade to a current pass. I find that wholly unacceptable considering the cited 2030 expiration date, but after reading this thread it seems as if that may be the case.

Does anyone have any 2024 information on this? It seems as if I find myself in a similar boat--purchased three gold passes in February 2020 and planned on activating/using them this June. I have done a chat and received various answers---the last of which was that I would need to pay to upgrade to a current pass. I find that wholly unacceptable considering the cited 2030 expiration date, but after reading this thread it seems as if that may be the case.
In addition to asking here, I'd also ask on the Ticket thread - https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...your-ticket-questions-to-this-thread.3570721/. Lots of expertise in both places, but unfortunately sometimes one person's experience is different from another's.

I think the explanation of why one has to pay is because that exact pass no longer exists so the expiration is not applicable.

However, I agree with others to reach out to the ticketing board for potentially up to date answers.

I'm curious what the various answers you got were. I had to activate them on our October 2023 trip (and it was a lengthy process for the CM) since I was told that after 12/31/23, I would need to pay the difference to convert them to a currently-offered AP or I could get reimbursed for what I paid. I agree that it feels totally unacceptable, especially since they did not send out notifications to those who held the vouchers and we were under the assumption that they could be activated anytime before 2030. It was only by luck that we had a trip planned and I happened to call DVC for something else that the cm noticed the voucher in my account and told me.

Keep us posted. Maybe you'll be lucky!

I'm curious what the various answers you got were.
The answers I received were as follows:

1. No problem, they will be activated and there is a legacy calendar to follow, but renewal may be tricky.
2. Passes will be transferred to similar category of new passes, but extra cost may come into play. Go to front gate and they will sort it out
3. Passes cannot be used. Original value may be offered, but it is up to the front gate.

The answers I received were as follows:

1. No problem, they will be activated and there is a legacy calendar to follow, but renewal may be tricky.
2. Passes will be transferred to similar category of new passes, but extra cost may come into play. Go to front gate and they will sort it out
3. Passes cannot be used. Original value may be offered, but it is up to the front gate.
Thanks for responding. Personally, I think all of those are true.
1. Somewhat true. They will be activated but it will be tricky. What they are not saying - and you will need to pay the difference.
2. True. They will be transferred to Sorcerers pass (I think that's what they changed mine to) and will cost you extra money.
3. True. Vouchers cannot be used as is. Original value should be offered.

Sorry, in any case, it stinks!

We bought sorcerer AP's last April when they went back on sale but still have been using our NE tickets(I have 5 days and DW 7 left on them).It looks like we probably won't activate them until either late 25 or early 26.With that being said will we still be able to activate them or have to pay a difference?

I find it wholly unacceptable also.
During our March trip I had a 5 days ticket belonging to one of our party and I called ticketing with the dates we were going. Long story short ticketing told me I had to pay $153ish to turn it into a date based ticket for 3 days. Yes, 3 days.

When we got to the ticket office I spoke to an extremely rude castmember and I ended up paying $180ish to make it date based.

I still have a 7 day in my stash that is NOT non expiry. I figure on my next trip I'll take it to Guest Relations and deal with it by asking for a refund.

I also have non expiry to use, as well as a Platinum annual pass. I wasn't worried on that but I may just ask for a refund as well if it doesn't convert.

I could be wrong but the old tickets that you have should still be good. The issue is that the vouchers for Gold APs are not tickets (yet) and can not be activated because they no longer sell the Gold AP tickets. I activated my Gold AP in October so they are still good for one year even though they are no longer sold.
I have old tickets (non-expiry and expiry) and they should still be valid...

But if you bought a ticket in 1980 for $20 you can use it today. Makes no sense.
That is because the ticket is different than a voucher. I believe that old tickets are still good but since vouchers are not yet tickets, they can't be activated when Disney no longer sells the ticket the voucher would become.

We bought sorcerer AP's last April when they went back on sale but still have been using our NE tickets(I have 5 days and DW 7 left on them).It looks like we probably won't activate them until either late 25 or early 26.With that being said will we still be able to activate them or have to pay a difference?

The new Sorcerer pass voucher is only good for one year so you will need to pay any difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter