conspiracy theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post perfectly sums up the mindset of a conspiracy theorists:
-Done a lot of "research" (reading internet forums and/or facebook posts)
-Thinks others are believing anything they are given
-If evidence comes out that proves them wrong, it's false

View attachment 493350
How do you know the research I’ve done? I read academic papers, books. You have no idea who I am or how I research

It's super dangerous to question the government. I think all information should be removed except the sources of information approved by the government. That way no one needs to question anything they are told. China does it the right way.

Yes I never understood why the conspiracy crazies misdirect their distrust into area that are completely bogus. Why don't they hammer the government on the things on things that are actually happening? Why aren't they focusing on all the swamp creatures that infest Washington and our profiting at taxpayers expense?

You want me to send you books, academic papers, interviews with scientists? Do your own research. I
don’t need to prove anything to you. Do t really care what you believe. I was just posting that some conspiracy theories are truth. The pentagon doesn’t go around investigating every theory. There’s an investigation because there’s evidence. Weak, small minded people are too afraid of the stigma associated with these theories to do any real research into the subject. And that’s ok. Im a medical professional with a lot of education. I’m trusted to write prescriptions and I hold peoples lives in my hands. I’m not a “crack pot” I just use my brain.

ooh ooh...not to derail (and I haven't done much research on it) but you said that Lyme had been released, but I had always been told (and honestly cannot for the life of me think back to where I first heard it) that it had somehow "escaped" from the lab and infected the local deer, and thus the ticks. Though I suppose a virus escaping accidentally would be less likely than an intentional release. Just interesting the various theories out there....

You want me to send you books, academic papers, interviews with scientists? Do your own research.
If you have done this level of research you would be able to provide one pretty quickly for me to look at. You have failed to do that thus far.

I'm more than open to reading into this but the initial evidence I found is contradicting your claim so I don't want to waste any more time. "Spoon feed" me at least a link to go off and read.

This post perfectly sums up the mindset of a conspiracy theorists:
-Done a lot of "research" (reading internet forums and/or facebook posts)
-Thinks others are believing anything they are given
-If evidence comes out that proves them wrong, it's false

View attachment 493350
I think it’s hilarious that you’re saying I’m not competent. I am a medical professional with years of education. If I wasn’t competent someone could die. I make great money, I live in an upper class neighborhood and my husband owns a large thriving business. But ok, I’m a stupid incompetent redneck because I think outside the box. Goodbye, I’m done with you. I’ll just go back to my beautiful life and pretend like I’m no incompetent, lol.

I was just having a discussion with a friend about this today.

There is a large swath of the population that opts not to do the academic work to vet information that they hear, think about it critically, and really do the work to formulate an opinion (part of that process also involves being able to discuss opposing views and learn from them, another skill we seem to have lost). It gives the appearance that it's just easier to latch on to the soundbite that rings most true with whatever preconceptions a person already holds. Those preconceptions may or may not even be based in fact, but if a soundbite or clickbait title sounds similar to the ideas rolling around in their head, then it must be true because it confirms their thoughts.

There's just so much information (good and bad) floating around out there, and it's work to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I heard of one where birds are really some kind of biological robot the government uses to spy on us. “Birds aren’t real” it’s called. But, there have been “conspiracy theories” that have been proven true. For decades it’s been said that the government released lymes disease which has recently come out as true (google it), the JFK thing (any intelligent person can tell there was more then one shooter), government finally admitted to ufos being real after saying it was a “conspiracy theory” for 70 years, Bobby Kennedy also obviously had a second gunman and his own son wants his case reopened, government admitted to mind control experiments using lsd on inmates and people against their will and knowledge, etc., etc. My point is, just because the government or the majority of sheeple tell you something is a “conspiracy theory” doesn’t mean it really is. Think for yourself and do research. Don’t blindly believe what you’re told. Though most of those listed by op are ridiculous.
My DH and I just had a conversation about debates and theories the other day. In that conversation we both agreed that once someone starts calling people names they’ve lost the argument. Attempting to demean and prove how smart you are by calling those who disagree with you “sheeple” discredits everything you have to say. It’s kind of sad when you think about it.

I find conspiracy theories fascinating, and I typically read up on any that come my way. I love the psychology behind them - what causes people to think SO much differently than others? Especially in the same family/social circle. We have two flat-earthers in our circle. I find it fascinating.

I think the belief in something that might not be mainstream, can come down to fear (not wanting "reality" to be true), lack of or excess of education, or, being shown in certain situations how things can be covered up by "the powers that be" (Tuskogee).

I do find there to be similar traits between the people I know who have government conspiracy theories. The other stuff - flat earthers, vaccines, etc., run the gamut.

I listen to everyone....everyone has beliefs they like to share. Doesn't mean I believe them or don't believe them.

With Covid, I will say, I have quite a few medical professionals in my life who have amazing education who are definitely questioning this all. So, it definitely makes you think about what information you should digest or what information you should dismiss.

My DH and I just had a conversation about debates and theories the other day. In that conversation we both agreed that once someone starts calling people names they’ve lost the argument. Attempting to demean and prove how smart you are by calling those who disagree with you “sheeple” discredits everything you have to say. It’s kind of sad when you think about it.

The amount of times I've seen Godwin's law invoked in online conversations since the lockdown and then mask orders is legitimately mind boggling.

People believe what they want to believe, based on their bias / preconceptions that others have mentioned.

Black man jogging shot by vigilants. Some will read the news reports and believe the shooters were racists, others will believe the man was committing crimes in the neighbourhood. Without waiting for the evidence, people will believe what they want to believe based on personal bias and good luck getting them to move from that position, even after the evidence is collected and presented.

This is why there is jury selection.

Same applies to any subject. It is curious how people develop entrenched positions and never move from it, regardless of how illogical. It takes a strong person to admit an error.

I think that name calling indicates that one has become too emotional about something to effectively argue the point at that time, but it doesn't mean that one is wrong - it just means that it is time to take a step back. Most of us fall into this from time to time - especially when we are managing issues like this.

I think it’s hilarious that you’re saying I’m not competent. I am a medical professional with years of education. If I wasn’t competent someone could die. I make great money, I live in an upper class neighborhood and my husband owns a large thriving business. But ok, I’m a stupid incompetent redneck because I think outside the box. Goodbye, I’m done with you. I’ll just go back to my beautiful life and pretend like I’m no incompetent, lol.
Taking your ball and going home when challenged to provide a source screams competence. :P

My assumption is that you did not want to provide your sources because you knew they were shaky and would be easy to discredit? I wonder how far off I am on that.

The amount of times I've seen Godwin's law invoked in online conversations since the lockdown and then mask orders is legitimately mind boggling.
I have never heard of Godwin's law until this moment. 👍

The house has ordered the pentagon to investigate it and explain what happened. They know it happened (back in the 70s) or they wouldn’t be investing how it happened. Government was doing research on lymes in ticks for biological warfare purposes and wanted to release uninfected ticks to track their spread and accidentally? released infected ones. Like I said, do some research.

When one reports on research it’s customary to cite sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter