Coping with Claustrophobia at Disney World?

I'm mildly claustrophobic, I don't mind crowds, but tight dark spaces bother me. The worst situation for me on our last trip was the rise of the resistance queue. I had to use every strategy I have to get through that. It's meant to feel like you're in a cave. I would never consider going on mission space either, but that one seems more obvious.
I am mildly claustrophobic in spaces that I can’t see a clear opening. Rise is the worst for me! The biggest issue is due to the rise going down it is possible to get stuck in the 2 cave like sections (that are truly short but don’t feel like it). The $LL is actually more cave like longer and fine normally but if the line is long after a shut down I would wait. Millennium Falcon also has a narrow area with waiting after the first preshow, that one was hard for me this time. I always skip the stretching room on Haunted Mansion. Just an FYI Hagrids at Universal is a line full of long curving caves that are awful for right space claustrophobia.

My sister has claustrophobia and left FOP in tears. I know it can be very personal and what triggers the feeling can be different from person to person, but she steers clear of that one now.

I haven't been on it for several years, but there was a part of the line in test track that would get to me. Just before you get to the ride. In my memory, there is a very tight hallway type area.

Does anyone else remember this?

Note we don't go anymore on due to the ride itself , not the hallway. Knees don't bend enough anymore.

I am 67 And have been going to Disney forever and may have mild claustrophobia. Weirdly the only time it’s every hit me at Disney was the queue for FOP. Maybe it’s because you go from outside to a enclosed darkish gray tunnel and it can be crowded. I almost exited but just looked at my phone. Once I got into the main room and got on the ride I was fine.
I am not sure where the enclosed tunnel you're talking about is, but I had a panic attack recently there. For me, it was where the CMs would put a group of people into this room and we would watch a pre-show and participate in getting a body scan. While doing that, the ride must've broken down because we were stuck in there for 15-20 mins. I had a slight panic attack in there because the doors were closed. I agree with the OP, covid did a number on me mentally as well. Afterwards, I refused to go back on that ride.

I'm mildly claustrophobic, I don't mind crowds, but tight dark spaces bother me. The worst situation for me on our last trip was the rise of the resistance queue. I had to use every strategy I have to get through that. It's meant to feel like you're in a cave.
Getting stuck in a long wait in some of those tunnel areas is BAD.

And hopefully the acrylic line dividers are down in the line for Gran Fiesta in Mexico - I had a really hard time going through those last time we were there (not to mention the plastic hanging between the rows in Living with the Land during the height of Covid - thank goodness those have been down for a while!).

Knowing what does and doesn't affect you is really big. Something that gets one person might not get another. And of course, logic has nothing to do with it. For me, one of my biggest ones, for whatever reason, is on RnR after the ride is done but before your train pulls all the way to the unloading area. If it is a particularly long wait, I start to panic. I've also skipped the stretching room at HM a couple of times during busy seasons because of the packing-in thing. That's easy enough to skip, they just show you through a doorway to the next room. Mission Space is another one, especially once you're in but before the ride starts or after it is over but before they open you "pod" up. If I do MS I concentrate on my job and the buttons that are lighting up, etc.

For me, remembering some of my coping skills ahead of time really helps - it give me the sense of control to remember that I can handle it and I'm going to be OK. For me, counting things really helps, or doing multiplication tables in my head. Lavender supplements help me too :)

Last edited:
I can't stand to be restrained so, RNR is extremely hard for me to do. At the end of the ride they have you sitting in the dark before you advance to get off. I get really panicky so, my son always talks to me and blows in my face to alleviate some of my reaction. Not sure why but, if air is blowing in my face I'm fine...

Mission Space is a HARD PASS! I tried one time about 5 years ago and soon as they put you in to sit I freaked out!!! They let me exit (well they had no choice) as I literally started crying!

enochlophobia. not clautrophobia.

Fear of crowds vs fear of small enclosed spaces.

Very few rides will cause claustrophobia in WDW, Mission Space for sure.

Enochlophobia

Keys to crowd issues. All the parks have areas where crowds pass by, but you can get some elbow room.

The Que issue is best dealt with by having your family position them selves in front of you AND behind you, and for them to create the space around you.

Look for the spaces out of the way in each park.

I have the same issues and I have to sike myself up for the crowds before I go, focusing on the small group I am with , rather then the huge crowd around me. But I still known where to head for a little breather when needed.

If you tell me which parks your visitong, I can tell you where to go to to get away from it all.

I have claustrophobia. I will never ride Mission Space again. I don't ride ToT or RnRC, but that is mainly because I'm also afraid of dropping and the speed of RnRC. I try to avoid choke points (places like the pathway from small world to Haunted Mansion). Honestly, what has made me panic the most at WDW was being on certain rides when they break down - anything that straps me in or is in an enclosed space. For instance, we were on Millennium Falcon when it stopped and were trapped in our seat belts in the capsule for about 15-20 minutes. I started banging on the door, hoping they would let us out. There is always a chance a ride might break down, so I really have to keep that in mind when choosing rides to go on.

I have claustrophobia. I will never ride Mission Space again. I don't ride ToT or RnRC, but that is mainly because I'm also afraid of dropping and the speed of RnRC. I try to avoid choke points (places like the pathway from small world to Haunted Mansion). Honestly, what has made me panic the most at WDW was being on certain rides when they break down - anything that straps me in or is in an enclosed space. For instance, we were on Millennium Falcon when it stopped and were trapped in our seat belts in the capsule for about 15-20 minutes. I started banging on the door, hoping they would let us out. There is always a chance a ride might break down, so I really have to keep that in mind when choosing rides to go on.
I hear you. I always worried what would happen if we get stuck in Star Tours after the ride is over. Thankfully, that's never happened.

I'm not planning a trip but this recently developed for me (I had an accident where the car flipped over - and I hadn't realized how anxious I could get in tight spaces until the MRI a day or two later). Whether at WDW or otherwise, what are some tips people use to deal with this (or is it just avoid at all costs). Like, having seen someone mention it, I cannot imagine ever doing Mission: Space again.

My sister has claustrophobia and left FOP in tears. I know it can be very personal and what triggers the feeling can be different from person to person, but she steers clear of that one now.
I'm so sorry! I can imagine this one for myself, in part due to the mechanics. <3

My son can not do the looping queues with people on either side with no visual of an escape. The worse offenders are Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise Standby, Seven Dwarfs, Frozen Ever After, Toy Story Mania, Navi River, FOP. We utilize the LL (previously FP).
Oh man, then please make sure to skip Living with the Land now! The maze with plexiglass over head-high would be terrible. I hated it. Or if it’s a must, definitely use LL; I think it skirts around the outside (along the wall).

I'm not planning a trip but this recently developed for me (I had an accident where the car flipped over - and I hadn't realized how anxious I could get in tight spaces until the MRI a day or two later). Whether at WDW or otherwise, what are some tips people use to deal with this (or is it just avoid at all costs). Like, having seen someone mention it, I cannot imagine ever doing Mission: Space again.

When we were trapped on Millennium Falcon, my son, out-of-the-blue, called me on my cell phone - just talking to him and focusing on something else made me forget, a little, that I was trapped in that pod. I think the indoor, snaking lines can be a problem - perhaps consider doing LL for those rides (if possible) or distract yourself by having conversations with your group or looking at your phone?

sadly most of the Parks are super crowded now so I think wherever you go, there is going to be a potential problem

I try for the end of the row also, but I'm just wondering how you do this because most of the time they tell people to go all the way in and fill in all the spaces, so you can't really choose your seat.
I've specifically asked a cast member if I can sit at an end due to my anxiety and they had me hang back and sit once everyone else was filled in.

If you haven’t considered applying for a DAS, you definitely should!!
I didn't think I would qualify...I always worry that claustrophobia/anxiety are a thing people will just roll their eyes at...if you don't have it you can't understand how debilitating it can be. thanks for this tip! 💕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter