• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronado disaster! Stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if the resorts are packed, they should be staffed to handle check in, MDE, and fixing bands that aren’t functioning.
Staff gets their schedules in advance based on expected needs. Yes, they should be staffed for busy levels, and I assume they were staffed appropriately for "packed" levels, but those levels assume MDE is working. Obviously, checking everyone in personally is going to take more CMs. They can't just magic extra staff up from nowhere, especially as the MDE issue was probably placing strains on CMs at all of Disney's resorts, so many extra CMs would be required.

I guess I’m surprised at the amount of people to deal with it. Pete went off on a YouTube show about his mom at the GF with similar problems. My grandpa got updated to suite at Gf when they messed up his reservation. The old Disney service was always guest satisfaction now it’s not that way. And people just accepting it. You pay all this money to expect problems is what you’re all saying.

We don't pay money TO expect problems. But when I'm traveling, I realize problems sometimes occur. Anytime a system is designed around an electronic interface, there is a potential for real-world problems if the system goes down. You were assuredly not the only ones affected by MDE issues.

And Pete is really prone to "going off" about problems, nitpicking flaws, and discussing compensation (even while making big deal about not asking for compensation). There was one where there was an error in his mom's reservation (I think it was in one of the Wilderness area lodges, but forget which one). Anyway, Pete really went on about the excellent compensation, and about how he wasn't on the trip so it was just Disney doing great customer service for an "unknown" little old lady. I'm sitting there thinking, yeah, a little old lady who was booked on Pete's DVC points, and whose MDE is linked with his. Totally sure they had NO IDEA who she was.

It's a problem when people start to expect "compensation" for every mess up. It's great that your grandpa got an upgraded suite, but you shouldn't expect that as standard. For one, with Disney's current occupancy rates, there aren't enough upgrades available. But mainly, upgrades are Pixie Dust. Upgrades are also for when Disney can't accommodate the original booking - not enough standard rooms, so you get a preferred.

I just experienced the same front desk hell at ASMovies. There was plenty of staff milling about, they just were chit chatting and going back and forth to the "back". One of my trips up to the front desk, the line was as you described and people in line were getting angry. Then to top it off, some guests would just walk past the line and go right up and snag someone and they helped them instead of saying that there is a line of people who have been waiting a half an hour. Well after that, a bunch of guests started to protest about the wait and others cutting so all of a sudden about 4 cast members came out of the back to help. Where were they this whole time?

excellent question. Although I wonder too who is running the show there.

Our magic kingdom day was the coldest day I’ve ever had at Disney. Our dessert party was non firework as it was too cold so kinda a waste of 500 dollars but can’t get mad about that but just our luck so far.
No the fireworks weren’t cancelled. We just hurried and ate our desserts and didn’t stay for them. So no taking advantage of our pricey premium seats and getting all you can eat and now alcohol drinks. Huge plus.

Your post lead me to believe the fireworks were canceled. It was cold, nothing to do with luck good or bad. It's Feb here in Fl, temps will vary from 80 to 40 in the span of a week. You left, that is on you, not Disney.

CSR has almost 2,000 rooms. To expect to go quickly through the check in desk is not realistic. That is why Disney offers the online check in option. I get an email with my room number and go straight to the room. Going straight to the room would have helped them get started on the right note.

I am sorry your trip started off badly. I am going to say we really like CSR and usually prefer to stay in the Rancheros section, It feels more like a resort and with the bridges over the pond, its not that much of a walk down to El Centro. I especially like the bus system there, we usually don't have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus. There was only 1 time I had problem with the buses, we had forgotten something back at the room. We were at HS, so I went back to the resort to get it. The bus stopped at the bus stops picking up people, and was actually full before we got to my stop. It was an older bus, the PA wasn't working so I didn't hear the driver ask if anyone needed to go the last stops. Needless to say, I ended up back at HS without ever getting off the bus. I mentioned this to the driver ( I didn't get mad, scream or cause a scene), who was quite put out at my dilemma. He consulted with someone, and got back on, and drove me back to my bus stop, bypassing all the others on the way. I didn't ask for special treatment, didn't think I deserved special treatment or anything. I actually blame most of it on me, I should have been paying more attention. This happened about 3 or 4 trips ago, we still stay at CSR and are staying there this summer again. So I guess plan for the worst, expect the unexpected, deal with it and have a magical time.

we had very high winds yesterday and last night. That is why they would cancel fireworks. The gondolas were probably shut down as well. Sorry you are having issues. I hope the rest of the trip goes more smoothly.
Even when there was high winds a few weeks ago they were not cancelled. They were modified. I know OP has now said they left of their own free will and there WAS fireworks but for others who aren't clear, Disney really does everything in their power to have something. Even modified, vs. cancelling them outright. I know the fine print says it can but look back and find a date where they were cancelled totally, and the park was open of course. There's been days things were cancelled when the park was closed due to weather but that's different.

I didn't know that could happen.
My guess would be wind, not the temperature. It was really windy Friday, all day.

Sorry OP that you had such a rough start to your trip. Back when MDE was new, it crashed for more than a day on the day I was checking into BWV. It was just as chaotic as you describe at CSR, so it really can happen anywhere. The only people not in a mess were people like me who booked room only, did online check in, had physical tickets, and weren’t using the dining plan. They had to issue key cards for everyone because the MB wouldn’t work for anything. The worst part was that people not only had a bad check in experience but then had to go back to the desk once everything came back up to give their cc info for incidentals and other payments. I was very happy I did online check in, for sure!

Disney really needs to get a handle on their IT issues, especially in regards to downtime. I think that is something most of us can agree on.

CSR has almost 2,000 rooms. To expect to go quickly through the check in desk is not realistic. That is why Disney offers the online check in option. I get an email with my room number and go straight to the room. Going straight to the room would have helped them get started on the right note.

I understand what you are saying, BUT, I travel quite a bit and the process of checking into a hotel has never been as long as it is at WDW. We have been going to WDW for 2 1/2 decades and it has always been a long process of them clicking away at the computer. No other hotel chain takes that long. Your info is already in there, what exactly are they doing that makes the whole process so long? Most hotels, it takes less then 2 minutes, if that to check in. They take your credit card, enter it, and then give you your room key.

I understand what you are saying, BUT, I travel quite a bit and the process of checking into a hotel has never been as long as it is at WDW. We have been going to WDW for 2 1/2 decades and it has always been a long process of them clicking away at the computer. No other hotel chain takes that long. Your info is already in there, what exactly are they doing that makes the whole process so long? Most hotels, it takes less then 2 minutes, if that to check in. They take your credit card, enter it, and then give you your room key.
Add to the above how spread out in different buildings many WDW hotels can be. If something goes awry with opening the door, it can be a heck of a trek, then a long wait, followed by another trek back.

I called the day before and today to request connecting rooms. Didn’t get it. My Disney app not working at all the entire day so didn’t find out we didn’t have connecting rooms upon check in. That check in process took 60mins waiting in the long line at 930pm and then she synced up the magic bands for our two rooms. One room has my grandma and my daughters 14-5. My room has my wife and I and kids 5-3. After finally getting bands right we went to the room and tried to get in my grandmas room and bands didn’t work. And then we went to our room and one band worked. Phone didn’t work for both rooms. Im irate call guest services and they just apologize and said they will send a runner. No one came for 30 mins so we didn’t get into our room until 1120. We’re in Ranchos. Just utter crap. I have never had this at all and here get this. We don’t have any of our bands they took them and I’m up waiting for them right now. I don’t want to go back to check in in the morning it’s late and we have a charecter breakfast at gf. So unreal so mad now. Wish Pete would see this he went through this at gf with bands not working. Having my 74 year old grandma wait 40 mins to get into a room. Yeah I’ve been on hold with guest services so long and we didn’t even get connecting rooms so bad. Never again Coronado. Just might save money and spend at the downtown Disney sprints resorts.
Your expectations were unrealistic considering that you called the day before and day of to request...anything. You 'could have' followed up on your calls to see about the assignment of your rooms, but you did not do that. All those other people in line ahead of you had as real a need as you did. You were behind them. It sometimes takes a while to address all those needs too. Technology fails....everywhere. At a recent AoA stay, the battery died in our MB reader in the door and therefore the MBs wouldn't work. It happens...and you don't know the battery is dead, until it dies. That's not Disney's fault. You keep calling a call center that has no physical presence at Coronado. You're slowing the process down, yourself, by doing that. Talk with front desk CMs or manager directly and I'm sure they'll fix your problem. They are very accommodating, however, not magicians. I understand your frustration with the wait time to get into your rooms, but that could happen at any hotel, anywhere. Hope you can let yourself have a good time in spite of the difficulties.

... But the real disaster waswhen my 12 yr old nephew and my sister who uses a cane for her MS got hit with a golf cart. ... When they hit them the driver yelled at them to get out of his way. We complained at the front desk but nope. Was told it was our fault.
I would question the resort's point of view. The issue should have been investigated further. The driver would be at fault unless it can be proven otherwise or the guests in the roadway were obviously doing something wrong.

In the "it can happen anywhere" vain, We went to check in to a hotel we frequent in Scottsdale AZ, near DD's house. It's very similar to a Disney resort, probably why we love it so. Spread out, quiet, great views, lots of good food, etc. Anyway, we arrived and got our room info and headed out to it. Walked in to find the bathroom tile totally torn out, shower door off the hinges and throom hadn't finished and something got lost in communicating that the room wasn't ready. No one at the resort was aware when we went back down to inform them that we needed a different room. They were very sorry, gave us a new room and off we went again. Walks are not short but we didn't get upset or expect anything more than a room ready for us to occupy. Which we got, and of course they were very sorry we got a room that wasn't ready. We have 2 more stays booked at the same hotel. I don't expect that something like that would happen again but honestly, it can happen anywhere and I'm not going to be upset or let it put a damper on a trip.

Even when there was high winds a few weeks ago they were not cancelled. They were modified. I know OP has now said they left of their own free will and there WAS fireworks but for others who aren't clear, Disney really does everything in their power to have something. Even modified, vs. cancelling them outright. I know the fine print says it can but look back and find a date where they were cancelled totally, and the park was open of course. There's been days things were cancelled when the park was closed due to weather but that's different.

I wonder how the OP would have dealt with being in the Magic Kingdom, on July 3, waiting for the fireworks to start. There was a bit of a delay for weather. Instead of being comfortably seated at a table eating desserts, we were standing packed in on Main Street USA. We had to wait an extra 20 minutes or so. But Disney does not control the weather, contrary to what some guests seem to think.

I wonder how the OP would have dealt with being in the Magic Kingdom, on July 3, waiting for the fireworks to start. There was a bit of a delay for weather. Instead of being comfortably seated at a table eating desserts, we were standing packed in on Main Street USA. We had to wait an extra 20 minutes or so. But Disney does not control the weather, contrary to what some guests seem to think.
I’m guessing they would either have been fine with it since it wasn’t cold or they would have left if they didn’t want to wait. Either way, I don’t think they’d blame the weather.

The OP wasn't blaming Disney for the weather, and in my opinion OP had a valid complaint about not being able to get into the room for so long. Only here would someone be berated for calling the front desk at a resort to report problems. Disney is a business, and businesses should (and do) expect to be held accountable when their processes do not work and cause a poor guest experience. It's always better to handle problems with a certain amount of patience and understanding, but making excuses for poor customer service doesn't do anyone any good.

The OP wasn't blaming Disney for the weather, and in my opinion OP had a valid complaint about not being able to get into the room for so long. Only here would someone be berated for calling the front desk at a resort to report problems. Disney is a business, and businesses should (and do) expect to be held accountable when their processes do not work and cause a poor guest experience. It's always better to handle problems with a certain amount of patience and understanding, but making excuses for poor customer service doesn't do anyone any good.

I don't think they are being berated for calling the front desk. Rather being told that the best thing to do to get things quickly handled is to go to the front desk. I'm sure many guests don't know that when they call their call doesn't really go to the front desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter