• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Agree, read like it was written by poli/sci major and not a journalist. I miss the days when articles were written by journalism majors who knew how to site a source.
I miss the days when more news articles & opinion pieces were written by mature writers. Am I the only one who has noticed how many mainstream news articles & op-eds are now written by people who look (from their photos) like they just got out of college? Are news outlets trying to save money by mainly hiring newbies, or is declining pay & benefits driving older ones out? I think the quality of reporting has declined in part due to the inexperience & naivete of these predominantly younger writers & reporters. It's fine to have some young writers/reporters, but to maintain quality journalism, that should be balanced by a lot of mature writers & reporters on staff.

Last edited:
Here is an article from BNN Bloomberg that while it sites "industry sources" at least does name the firm & financial analyst who sites those sources.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/domestic-cruises-unlikely-to-resume-this-year-analysts-say-1.1465141

Cruise stocks fell on Tuesday after analysts at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey and Macquarie said they don’t anticipate a resumption in North American sailings until 2021.

Cruising in “any meaningful way” in North America for the major brands will not resume until at least the second quarter of next year, SunTrust analyst C. Patrick Scholes wrote in a note, citing industry sources. This would be a “material setback” from the expected October starting dates that his contacts were telling him just two months ago, he said.

...continues...

END QUOTE

I miss the days when more news articles & opinion pieces were written by mature writers. Am I the only one who has noticed how many mainstream news articles & op-eds are now written by people who look (from their photos) like they just got out of college? Are news outlets trying to save money by mainly hiring newbies, or is declining pay & benefits driving older ones out? I think the quality of reporting has declined in part due to the inexperience & naivete of these predominantly younger writers & resporters. It's fine to have some young writers/reporters, but to maintain quality journalism, that should be balanced by a lot of mature writers & reporters on staff.

FWIW, at the bottom of that clip it says check out their youtube channel. Certainly not a young person: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYNM_dInWi_glMZT3gxqxPQ

It's all just perception. Fashion and health are keeping everyone looking younger now - the only time I see suits is at formal events, the norm is to dress down. My husband and I still routinely get carded as we near 40 - I blame the t-shirts because these wrinkles are getting pretty obvious. :rolleyes1 Headshots are always going to show a person looking their best, plus everything is photoshopped to heck, and who knows how old the shot is? I think the quality of reporting boils down to how fast they need to go. It's not an experience issue, its a distribution model issue. To maintain quality journalism we have to support it but the dying newspaper industry and preference for slanted news stations aren't going to foster that.

Currently I don't see the path to resuming cruises taking shape yet, so it sure feels like we are a long way off still.

Here is an article from BNN Bloomberg that while it sites "industry sources" at least does name the firm & financial analyst who sites those sources.

This is a little bit better written than the last article but it's still just quoting one analysts opinion. It says he wrote in a note that he doesn't anticipate cruising until 2021. We could also not anticipate but would hardly mean anything. Still much better than the last article which strait up blamed the White House with no source whatsoever. But even in this article there is still no source from anyone who is actually involved in policy making. So we're still left guessing/speculating just like the financial firm guy in this article.

I think the quality of reporting boils down to how fast they need to go. It's not an experience issue, its a distribution model issue.
I agree this is some of it but I also think it would help to have journalists who actually majored in journalism and are school trained in journalism and not political science. Journalism 101, site your source, don't make it up.

FWIW, at the bottom of that clip it says check out their youtube channel. Certainly not a young person: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYNM_dInWi_glMZT3gxqxPQ

It's all just perception. Fashion and health are keeping everyone looking younger now - the only time I see suits is at formal events, the norm is to dress down. My husband and I still routinely get carded as we near 40 - I blame the t-shirts because these wrinkles are getting pretty obvious. :rolleyes1 Headshots are always going to show a person looking their best, plus everything is photoshopped to heck, and who knows how old the shot is? I think the quality of reporting boils down to how fast they need to go. It's not an experience issue, its a distribution model issue. To maintain quality journalism we have to support it but the dying newspaper industry and preference for slanted news stations aren't going to foster that.

Currently I don't see the path to resuming cruises taking shape yet, so it sure feels like we are a long way off still.
I was responding to a PP's comment about journalism in general, not referencing a single article.

Experience counts in all fields, including journalism.

Last edited:
Well, Princess Cruises has extended their "Pause of Select Global Ship Operations Until December 15", as of July 22.

See https://www.princess.com/news/notic...obal-ship-operations-pause-december-2020.html

Due to the continued progression of COVID-19 and related decisions of various government, health authorities, and airlines regarding travel restrictions, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in cruise operations impacting the following voyages:

All cruises sailing in and out of Australia on Majestic Princess, Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess, and Sun Princess through October 31, 2020

All sailings in Asia, Caribbean, California Coast, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal, South America & Antarctica, Japan, and Tahiti/South Pacific through December 15, 2020

END QUOTE <article is longer>

I wonder if they are the start of the major lines making similar announcements ? And if so, how long it will take for the others to follow on {presumably if Disney does they will drag along at the end as they seem to have so far].

SW

Well, Princess Cruises has extended their "Pause of Select Global Ship Operations Until December 15", as of July 22.

See https://www.princess.com/news/notic...obal-ship-operations-pause-december-2020.html

Due to the continued progression of COVID-19 and related decisions of various government, health authorities, and airlines regarding travel restrictions, Princess Cruises is extending its pause in cruise operations impacting the following voyages:

All cruises sailing in and out of Australia on Majestic Princess, Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess, and Sun Princess through October 31, 2020

All sailings in Asia, Caribbean, California Coast, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal, South America & Antarctica, Japan, and Tahiti/South Pacific through December 15, 2020

END QUOTE <article is longer>

I wonder if they are the start of the major lines making similar announcements ? And if so, how long it will take for the others to follow on {presumably if Disney does they will drag along at the end as they seem to have so far].

SW
Does not mention cruises out of Florida, though. Hmmm.

The first bookable cruises on the Princess website are for November 2020 and they are all out of Australia (which I thought was banning cruise ships til 2021???).

The first bookable cruises on the Princess website are for November 2020 and they are all out of Australia (which I thought was banning cruise ships til 2021???).

The latest I could find for Australia was on 20 May they extended their cruise ban to 17 September. There are numerous articles, this is one: https://www.ship-technology.com/news/australia-extends-cruise-ship-ban/

This article from 25 June also refers to the Australia cruise ban ending 17 September https://cruisepassenger.com.au/what-the-qantas-cancellations-says-about-cruise/

Of course Australia could decide to extend again.

Okay - so if I have a cruise booked for say... November, its safe to say it isn't going to happen. My PIF date is early August. If I just want to push it out to (hopefully) next year, should I just go ahead and pay it off then take the 125% FCC at cancel? Just want to make sure I have this right. Thanks!

Okay - so if I have a cruise booked for say... November, its safe to say it isn't going to happen. My PIF date is early August. If I just want to push it out to (hopefully) next year, should I just go ahead and pay it off then take the 125% FCC at cancel? Just want to make sure I have this right. Thanks!

Yep, its still a gamble as they could cease that offer at anytime - and while its more than likely November will be a no go they haven't announced it yet - but that is how it has worked so far.

Royal Caribbean announces their plans for Muster Drill 2.0

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/... works,the traditional large group assemblies
I like this plan much better than the original Muster Drill.

Big same. If you're unlucky to be standing in the sun on deck and in the middle of the crowd... I almost fainted once. I had to go back to the room and lay down with the A/C going for a bit after that. In my defense we went from 30 degree highs in January to 80 and humid by the time we stepped off the plane in San Juan....

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd say it's "safe to say" November cruises will all be cancelled. Probably, yes, but unless the CDC extends the no-sail order through the end of November or Disney announces further cancellations, there's no way to know for sure. If you go ahead and pay in full, you can still change cruises up to 15 days before the departure date at no penalty and you'll get the 125% if they do cancel (assuming they don't discontinue that offer), but you also tie up thousands of dollars for who knows how long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter