Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I'm not sure I'd say it's "safe to say" November cruises will all be cancelled. Probably, yes, but unless the CDC extends the no-sail order through the end of November or Disney announces further cancellations, there's no way to know for sure. If you go ahead and pay in full, you can still change cruises up to 15 days before the departure date at no penalty and you'll get the 125% if they do cancel (assuming they don't discontinue that offer), but you also tie up thousands of dollars for who knows how long.

I was told by someone who recently called and canceled that they gave them the 125% so I'm hoping that's the case because I'll probably cancel my cruis before they do!!

It's worth noting that today, Norwegian Cruise Line announced they would be extending their pause, or their suspension of sailings, through the end of October. So, although the CDC no sail order ends in September, this just increases the odds that DCL will also be (eventually) extending through October because so far all of the cruise lines have tended to match each other when it comes to extensions. As I've said before, however, DCL is probably more cautious about reopening given their culture of safety so I'm certain DCL will not be reopening if others haven't already done so. (Case in point: WDW only opened after Universal did). So it sounds like DCL isn't going to be sailing until November at the very earliest.

Good news in that announcement was that they are going to start announcing their cancellations monthly.

Every cruise line should do this, at the very least.
Which ones haven't been doing this?

Which ones haven't been doing this?

Most of the cancellations I've seen are only in response to a statement from the CDC. In April, they said it was paused until July 24. Then they came out and said the end of September. So, the cruise lines listed the sailings that they were canceling.

NCL has stated the below, which to me is different from what I've seen in the past.

The cruise company also announced it plans to provide an update at the end of each month regarding cruise cancellations and potential sailing suspension extensions "in an effort to provide additional transparency," it said in the release.

Yes and not just for the transparency but for honesty as well. According to DCL, my Oct 2nd Dream cruise in 9 weeks is still a go and they will not cancel it. How honest is that when they know they have no crew and it's going to dry dock?

They're doing the same with their Adventures by Disney trips too... some people are booked on trips to Egypt and other international spots in October and they are only offering to move them currently. I'm all for being positive but this is something else... some of those trips can ring up to the price of a car that they're holding onto. Surely the annoucement is coming soon.. surely..! :sad2:

I think they're waiting to see whether Carnival and Royal Caribbean (and their subsidiaries) follow Norwegian's lead.

They're doing the same with their Adventures by Disney trips too... some people are booked on trips to Egypt and other international spots in October and they are only offering to move them currently. I'm all for being positive but this is something else... some of those trips can ring up to the price of a car that they're holding onto. Surely the annoucement is coming soon.. surely..! :sad2:

That's my situation. Got approx $10,300 tied up and it's concierge, so I'm reliant on them to do the right thing and cancel. I already have 3 future cruises booked with a deposit, so I'm hopeful when they do cancel they'll let me use the Oct 2nd FCC to pay toward future existing reservations instead of having to book a new 4th future cruise (I've gotten mixed messages on the board about the ability to do this). Also if they would cancel, I could transfer my airfare for the Oct 2 cruise to my next cruise in March but instead I have to sit here and watch that March airfare tick up as we wait for DCL to do the right thing.

That's my situation. Got approx $10,300 tied up and it's concierge, so I'm reliant on them to do the right thing and cancel...Also if they would cancel, I could transfer my airfare for the Oct 2 cruise to my next cruise in March but instead I have to sit here and watch that March airfare tick up as we wait for DCL to do the right thing.
You absolutely can transfer that airfare now. You know, I know, we all know that DCL will not sail on October 2nd. So you can choose to stop being passive and act on what you know.

Last edited:
You absolutely can transfer that airfare now. You know, I know, everyone knows that DCL will not sail on October 2nd. So you can choose to stop being passive and act on what you know.

Not being passive, our decision will be based on what DCL will allow with FCC. So do not want to move airfare until we know what DCL's policy will be. If DCL let's us apply Oct to March then we will move airfare. If DCL cancels the FCC going forward, then we will prolly cancel March and just focus on our other 2 upcoming cruises. When they do get around to cancelling, we are not sure if they will allow applying FCC to an existing reservation of if they will even have an FCC at all. Just have to see when they get around to making the call.

Not being passive, our decision will be based on what DCL will allow with FCC. So do not want to move airfare until we know what DCL's policy will be. If DCL let's us apply Oct to March then we will move airfare. If DCL cancels the FCC going forward, then we will prolly cancel March and just focus on our other 2 upcoming cruises. When they do get around to cancelling, we are not sure if they will allow applying FCC to an existing reservation of if they will even have an FCC at all. Just have to see when they get around to making the call.
Fair enough.

That's my situation. Got approx $10,300 tied up and it's concierge, so I'm reliant on them to do the right thing and cancel. I already have 3 future cruises booked with a deposit, so I'm hopeful when they do cancel they'll let me use the Oct 2nd FCC to pay toward future existing reservations instead of having to book a new 4th future cruise (I've gotten mixed messages on the board about the ability to do this). Also if they would cancel, I could transfer my airfare for the Oct 2 cruise to my next cruise in March but instead I have to sit here and watch that March airfare tick up as we wait for DCL to do the right thing.

I asked two different DCL reps if I’d be able to use FCC for an already booked cruise and was told that I can do so. Because I’m a lawyer by trade, I screenshot the conversation - like to have things in writing :).

I asked two different DCL reps if I’d be able to use FCC for an already booked cruise and was told that I can do so. Because I’m a lawyer by trade, I screenshot the conversation - like to have things in writing

When I was booking the new itinerary release on Monday, I also asked that about our upcoming Oct 2 cruise and the CM stated she did not know what policies would be in place if they did another round of cancellations. Didn't make me feel very confident on what my future FCC chances were but I definitely understand that reply. She didn't want to say I could and then the policy may change on the next cancellation round and then I go and say that so and so said I could. Another weird part of that conversation was that she said they plan on sailing my Oct 2 cruise. How is that even possible? Makes no sense without crew and the fact that ship is going to dry dock. Shockingly misleading.

When I was booking the new itinerary release on Monday, I also asked that about our upcoming Oct 2 cruise and the CM stated she did not know what policies would be in place if they did another round of cancellations. Didn't make me feel very confident on what my future FCC chances were but I definitely understand that reply. She didn't want to say I could and then the policy may change on the next cancellation round and then I go and say that so and so said I could. Another weird part of that conversation was that she said they plan on sailing my Oct 2 cruise. How is that even possible? Makes no sense without crew and the fact that ship is going to dry dock. Shockingly misleading.

I was told the same about my November cruise -they said “we aren’t expecting to cancel your cruise”. I guess they just don’t want the CMs running around starting a panic before a formal announcement. As for applying the FCC towards a booked cruise, both CMs were adamant that I could do that. Where they were LESS sure was the issue of the FCC being 125%. FWIW

Keep in mind that nobody tells front-line CMs anything until it's announced officially or corporate notifies them otherwise. All they know is that it isn't on the list of what's already been cancelled. Even if they suspect or have heard rumors that it'll be cancelled soon, they wouldn't say otherwise until they hear it from corporate.

Yes and not just for the transparency but for honesty as well. According to DCL, my Oct 2nd Dream cruise in 9 weeks is still a go and they will not cancel it. How honest is that when they know they have no crew and it's going to dry dock?

This is what is destroying their relationship with me. People that don’t follow this as closely as we do are being told oh yes you’re cruise is going- they are booking airlines, booking non refundable DVC/hotel pre and post nights, submitting leave requests at work, maybe making pet or child care arrangements all for a cruise that is 100% not sailing. DCL silence may cost people real money that they wouldn’t have lost had they known to modify or hold off booking new travel arrangements.

This is what is destroying their relationship with me. People that don’t follow this as closely as we do are being told oh yes you’re cruise is going- they are booking airlines, booking non refundable DVC/hotel pre and post nights, submitting leave requests at work, maybe making pet or child care arrangements all for a cruise that is 100% not sailing. DCL silence may cost people real money that they wouldn’t have lost had they known to modify or hold off booking new travel arrangements.

Do you think there are actually people out there thinking that they are going on a cruise this fall???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter