Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Insurance booked through Disney Cruise Line can be added up until the final payment date. In fact, all insurance booked through DCL is not actually purchased until the final payment date, since there are no non-refundable expense before that date (except for concierge/special bookings).

For insurance purchased on your own, you would need to check with the company, but most insurance can be purchased or upgraded until close to the sailing date. However, insurance typically does not cover known issues, so insurance purchased now might not cover disruptions related to COVID-19. If you already have insurance and then upgrade your room (meaning the cruise is more expensive), upgrading the insurance coverage to match your revised costs may result in an additional fee.

Having paid in full will not affect insurance rates or ability to purchase as long as you could still get a full refund (that is, before the required final payment date).
Ok thanks. It just won’t let me add it online.

I would tend to think not. The GT rates come with many restrictions the biggest being non cancellable so I doubt they would extend the new policy to GT bookings.

MJ
It says all bookings. All cruises are non refundable at 24 hours out. I can’t imagine why they would have that restriction in this circumstance. The ships are empty and they need to try to fill them

Can I just say that I am actually grateful to DCL for not dropping their prices across? That just makes the people who previously booked at "normal" rates feel even crappier. My next DCL cruise isn't until September, hope to be able to go...

Can I just say that I am actually grateful to DCL for not dropping their prices across? That just makes the people who previously booked at "normal" rates feel even crappier. My next DCL cruise isn't until September, hope to be able to go...
Why don't you just cancel and re-book at the lower prices?

I'm off the next two days If I can get through to DCL I'll ask about the GT rates falling under the travel credit, and the insurance. If anybody has any other question let me know.

Why don't you just cancel and re-book at the lower prices?

That seems unscrupulous, taking advantage of a bad situation that DCL didn’t create. I hope they aren’t letting people cancel them rebook sane cruise after the PIF date.

They may still drop. Cruise lines don't like sailing empty.

That seems unscrupulous, taking advantage of a bad situation that DCL didn’t create. I hope they aren’t letting people cancel them rebook sane cruise after the PIF date.
I'm not sure why this is unscrupulous. DCL should be happy people are willing to sail. Other cruise lines offer price protection and are adding additional OBC to people that keep their sailings. If your willing to take the risk you should at least get a break on the price.

Well, if there are people out there still thinking this way, the cruise lines may actually just do fine this year.

Apologies if this has already been asked. Given that it could serve as precedent for future cruise problems/quarantines, does anyone happen to know what will happen if passengers on the Grand Princess come back as COVID-19 positive? Would healthy passengers be allowed to disembark, or would the entire ship be quarantined for 14-days like the Diamond Princess?
from what I have read 14 day quarantine for everyone with medical care for those needing

from what I have read 14 day quarantine for everyone with medical care for those needing

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but I think quarantine is for anyone who has been exposed to people confirmed to be infected, which means the entire cruise ship, passengers & crews. I am not sure if it's voluntary or mandatory at this point, though.

LAX

Last edited:
On the topic of COVID, I came across a very level-headed and detailed article on COVID-19, and how it is applicable to US residents. The site it is on, focuses primarily on tech and science articles, and tends not to sensationalize, but focuses on the data and facts currently known (with little speculation). In cases where they do speculate, they tend to show both sides of the argument- why that speculation might be right or wrong. Their new article on COVID, IMO, is very well done, though it is a bit of a long read. The comment section of their articles can get somewhat political (and I'm sure this topic will as well), so steer clear of the comments if that is not your gig. If you're interested, you can read the article here: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/

This website is awesome! Thank you.

On the topic of COVID, I came across a very level-headed and detailed article on COVID-19, and how it is applicable to US residents. The site it is on, focuses primarily on tech and science articles, and tends not to sensationalize, but focuses on the data and facts currently known (with little speculation). In cases where they do speculate, they tend to show both sides of the argument- why that speculation might be right or wrong. Their new article on COVID, IMO, is very well done, though it is a bit of a long read. The comment section of their articles can get somewhat political (and I'm sure this topic will as well), so steer clear of the comments if that is not your gig. If you're interested, you can read the article here: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/
I read this article today about how health care workers are plagued by fear...um really. If there are any healthcare workers plagued by fear please share your thoughts. I work in healthcare and everyone thinks it's overhyped fake news. There's always such a disconnect between what the media says and what goes what see in the hospitals. It's pretty consistent among all outbreaks and pandemics.
Everyone I work with is continuing on with their travels. One of my managers is even going on with her trip to Italy in May. We did get an email saying if we visit a country with a level 2 warning we will have to be off work for 14 days upon return....um sign me up. If that's not an incentive to travel I don't know what is.
I'm hoping in a couple of months the media will find something else to talk about. It is an election year after all.

I am a doctor and I agree that this is fear mongering and drama seeking at its best. Infectious diseases are all around us and we are always at risk. Wish we would spend as much energy discouraging the truly dangerous anti-vaccine crowd, and, of course, washing our hands. Hoping that science and common sense will prevail here, but I recognize how unlikely that is. Of course you should be cautious if you are sick or frail - but isn’t that always true? The best thing we can do for ourselves and for the economy is to just settle down and heed the facts.
I read this article today about how health care workers are plagued by fear...um really. If there are any healthcare workers plagued by fear please share your thoughts. I work in healthcare and everyone thinks it's overhyped fake news. There's always such a disconnect between what the media says and what goes what see in the hospitals. It's pretty consistent among all outbreaks and pandemics.
Everyone I work with is continuing on with their travels. One of my managers is even going on with her trip to Italy in May. We did get an email saying if we visit a country with a level 2 warning we will have to be off work for 14 days upon return....um sign me up. If that's not an incentive to travel I don't know what is.
I'm hoping in a couple of months the media will find something else to talk about. It is an election year after all.
I

DCL fills their ships with CMs & TAs (we sail usually at the end of Aug & believe me, there are many....) at vastly reduced rates while making it look like they are full year round in order to justify their rates. Meh, even these rebooked “lower” rates are still too high. I normally have an annoyingly high bar of morality, but this doesn’t bother me at all.

DCL fills their ships with CMs & TAs (we sail usually at the end of Aug & believe me, there are many....) at vastly reduced rates while making it look like they are full year round in order to justify their rates. Meh, even these rebooked “lower” rates are still too high. I normally have an annoyingly high bar of morality, but this doesn’t bother me at all.

I was thinking this the other day. our first cruise was a cm cruise. I was wondering if they would even let active CMs Cruise right now. Given any cruise could lead to a 14 day quarantine.

Last edited:
It’s wait and see for us. We are booked for a cruise on the Fantasy Aug 15th and while we are not afraid of catching the virus, we are worried about quarantines and how travel restrictions could affect our travel medical insurance. We are also considering cancelling since our PIF date is in April and rebooking last minute.
Same here, I have a Cunard Europe cruise in July and thus far they aren’t budging on their PIF dates. Mine’s later this week and if they insist I PIF this week, I’m canceling with the idea of rebooking in June should this thing die down.

I am a doctor and I agree that this is fear mongering and drama seeking at its best. Infectious diseases are all around us and we are always at risk. Wish we would spend as much energy discouraging the truly dangerous anti-vaccine crowd, and, of course, washing our hands. Hoping that science and common sense will prevail here, but I recognize how unlikely that is. Of course you should be cautious if you are sick or frail - but isn’t that always true? The best thing we can do for ourselves and for the economy is to just settle down and heed the facts.

I

Exactly. If the media and government followed every new flu diagnosis every winter, it would be much higher numbers of diagnoses and deaths.
No one would go anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter