Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, head of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, said during the Monday evening press conference that young, healthy Americans should have no reason not to take a cruise.
I'm not young. I'm middle-aged, but I am healthy so I have that going for me.

Now that I agree with 100%. The govt. Should demand the cruise industry refund money to customers and not just a cruise credit. Shame on all the cruise lines.
The government shouldn't be telling corporations how to run their business. We're not a communist country. We're a capitalist society. If a business doesn't do right by its customers they will pay the price in the long run. That's how things work.

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, head of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, said during the Monday evening press conference that young, healthy Americans should have no reason not to take a cruise.
Honestly, this is what is getting a bit frustrating. The constant mixed messages. CDC says Sunday don't cruise. NIH says we have no reason not to on Monday (except for, you know, the CDC saying we shouldn't the day before).

Honestly, this is what is getting a bit frustrating. The constant mixed messages. CDC says Sunday don't cruise. NIH says we have no reason not to on Monday (except for, you know, the CDC saying we shouldn't the day before).

Yes, it’s maddening. I was hoping the “don’t cruise” decree from the US State Department along with the similar decree from the Canadian government meant that cancellations and refunds would be coming soon. Or maybe a rebooking window that extended past 12 months. I’ve now just given up hope that I’ll get a full refund or be able to rebook a cruise that works with our schedule.

I’m calling DCL Wednesday to get my 25% refund and washing my hands of the whole thing. I’m tired of obsessing over this - I’ve wasted enough time.

We have now officially booked spring break week in a very nice beach front condo on Hilton Head Island in the same complex we stayed in a couple of years ago. It won’t be Bahamas or central Florida weather, but it should still be nicer than Michigan weather and it will be relaxing. I found one night of availability at Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort during the week as well, so I double booked that night & we can get still get a little Disney fix over spring break - I figure we can use the Disney amenities for 2 days with that one night reservation - we can swim in the big heated Disney pool, visit the beach house and my girls can take pictures with the Disney topiaries. I’ve always kind of wanted to to stay there anyway - I hear they have Mickey waffles and Dole whips.

The government shouldn't be telling corporations how to run their business. We're not a communist country. We're a capitalist society. If a business doesn't do right by its customers they will pay the price in the long run. That's how things work.
Business is and should be regulated to some degree, in particular when it comes to public health and safety. Capitalist or not, business regulations protect consumers, workers, shareholders, and managers alike. Were they not regulated, we’d get food poisoning, your hospital wouldn’t have to pay your work comp for a lift injury or pay for your post exposure TB exams. They could use “fuzzy new math” accounting practices, and demand your insurance card or credit card prior to treating your massive heart attack. Business can’t endanger the public anymore than individuals can. Reasonable regulations will always be in place, however the measure of reasonableness will and should always be dependent on the circumstances. This circumstance dictates a more draconian response than say for example the public health hazard of cigarettes or obesity. This hazard isn’t notional.

Consumer rights and protections are upheld by the government. I wouldn’t want a society without that.

I agree, most of the time. But, when things go south, it is the US government who is sending planes to bring back stranded Americans from overseas. It is also the US government who is organizing and paying for the quarantine on military bases of all the people on the ships who were exposed to Coronavirus. I think that during extraordinary times like these, the US government needs to step in for the common good of the US people. Yes, some people will be negatively affected, but the common good should prevail here.

The risk of getting the virus while on board isn’t the issue for me. You could get the virus anywhere. The worst case sceneries would be to get quarantined to your room for 2 weeks while the ship floats of the coast somewhere. I’d rather get the virus at home than be quarantined with my 7 year old in a small cruise cabin for 2 weeks.

I'm really curious about that Politico article regarding a complete shutdown of the US-based cruise lines. I had a feeling it was going to be proposed at some point. We'll have to see what happens this week. I guess it would make it easier for some of us to decide to go or not because once the govt steps in we won't have a choice anymore and DCL will have to start refunding everyone...I assume? Not sure if the 12-month rebooking option will even apply anymore but I'm sure the option will be there.

All of these cancellations and I still cannot get a reservation for Palo. :bored:

I have not read all 66 pages, but has Disney changed any of their Europe itineraries? Obviously, they can't go to Italy, right?

• Beginning Friday, March 6, all guests and crew members will have their temperature checked by a nurse with a no touch thermometer prior to boarding. Additional medical screening will be required for anyone with a temperature of 100.4º F or greater, and they along with their travel party may be unable to sail.
  • Finally, guests scheduled to sail between now and May 31, 2020, can now change their reservation up until the day before embarkation and receive a 100% cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 12 months of their original sail date. You can make this change by calling 1-866-325-2112. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.

Interesting. Some people run above normal on average. That should be fun.

I agree, most of the time. But, when things go south, it is the US government who is sending planes to bring back stranded Americans from overseas. It is also the US government who is organizing and paying for the quarantine on military bases of all the people on the ships who were exposed to Coronavirus. I think that during extraordinary times like these, the US government needs to step in for the common good of the US people. Yes, some people will be negatively affected, but the common good should prevail here.
If the US govt doesn't want to rescue people from quarantine, then they need to put a ban on cruising and force the cruise lines to offer refunds. There are thousands of families who have lots of $$ wrapped up in vacations and many of those families are not willing/able to just eat that cost. Or, possibly an unpopular opinion, they need to stop quarantining people. It's likely this virus is already wide spread and well past the point of containment by quarantine anyway.

Consumer rights and protections are upheld by the government. I wouldn’t want a society without that.
I was responding to a poster that wanted the government to reimburse everyone for their cruises. Let’s not take things out of context.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter