Coronavirus and flying into China

It seems almost every case reported are people that came directly from that area of China, and not just randomly...that may be a good sign for not spreading? I'm just guessing, though it may be too early to know for sure

...That's unfortunately no longer the case as of this morning: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...eak-bus-driver-wuhan-death-toll-a9305406.html

For anyone who doesn't want to click it. We now have two cases, one in Japan and one in Germany who have been confirmed to have not traveled to Wuhan.

Not sure what the Germany story is but the Japan one was a bus driver who drove some tourists from Wuhan. I'm going to guess hopefully that happened before this all started blowing up. Considering the blow up is pretty recent.

I'm not entirely surprised that this has finally happened. This thing is supposed to have up to a two week incubation period. It was bound to happen eventually that we would get a second generation patient.

We will never know exactly how many cases there actually are due to many unique factors which underlie the Chinese govt. Virtually every neighboring city of Hebei province is building emergency hospitals to handle cases. They expect a rise in cases over the next two weeks as people return from holidays, and then hopefully things will calm down.
I agree. I wouldn't trust anything China reports. Ask Florida about the drywall they dropped on Florida.

We will never know exactly how many cases there actually are due to many unique factors which underlie the Chinese govt. Virtually every neighboring city of Hebei province is building emergency hospitals to handle cases. They expect a rise in cases over the next two weeks as people return from holidays, and then hopefully things will calm down.

The whole testing procedure looks slow to me. We are still waiting on results in the US. It doesn’t help we’re in flu season too.

I read somewhere today they've identified the first known case of transmission to someone who did NOT travel to China, proving it can be transmitted from person to person.

I read somewhere today they've identified the first known case of transmission to someone who did NOT travel to China, proving it can be transmitted from person to person.

Yeah I linked it up above. But it seems like some people are passing right by it.

We're now officially on to second-generation cases.

I live in NYC so I figure whether or not I fly in three days is going to have little bearing on anything considering I take public transportation everywhere. Granted, I am not flying to or near Asia, but it's this general kind of thing that gets the mind going.

JFK Airport had added Coronavirus screening several days ago. Newark Airport just added it today. So now we are between two international hubs testing for it. We also have two Chinatown communities in NYC: lower Manhattan & Flushing, Queens. Add to that many Chinese people have been flying in to celebrate the Chinese New Year with family & friends, or returning from China, after visiting for the Chinese New Year. So far, 10 people have been tested and 7 of them tested negative. 3 still pending, hopefully negative.
a0b7fdf6.gif

I'm someone who doesn't ever get normal flu shots. Last year, last I read, there were only about 34 people in the whole Tri-state area which includes NJ & CT, who died of the flu. That's out of 8 million people in NYC alone, and doesn't include NJ or lower CT. So I thought my odds were good in not getting it, even traveling in packed subway cars. :crowded::upsidedow:crowded::tilt::crowded:

But this Coronavirus has me a bit nervous. :scared: I think the odds are we will get some cases here in NYC. :(

Last edited:
I'm not either but I'll fully say I don't like how close it could be to my backyard.

I am not freaking out yet but being cautious and following everything. I live north of the school. A few hours away. I was happier when it was not in our state. I do work for a scholarship company and we have many students at the school. It has me more worried about them.

Not sure what the Germany story is

I read yesterday that he was in contact with a women who was infected from China. She was in Germany. She has since went back to China. Not sure want the contact was. Were they just in the same area, were they in close contact or what.

There's a little piece on a guy from the San Francisco Bay Area who moved to Wuhan to teach English. He's kind of stuck there now as he's tried to communicate with the US Embassy in Beijing and they haven't responded. The other issue is that he doesn't want to leave his dog and his girlfriend. Not sure about getting the dog into the US other than a requirement for rabies vaccinations and perhaps a quarantine period. However, the girlfriend seems to be Chinese so they won't be able to get her out.

His description is that it's like living in a sci-fi movie where there's a disease outbreak. Wherever he goes they check for temperature and signs of disease. Some are married to Chinese citizens, but since they never really planned on moving to the US any time soon I guess they didn't preplan for getting a spousal visa. I'm not even sure that the US hasn't shut off new tourist/business visas from China.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...Bay-Area-SF-coronavirus-outbreak-15013661.php

OP, you say you can postpone and that's exactly what I would do - no way I would send my child to/through China. Why increase his chances? I would never forgive myself! :scared1:

Ugh my dd just told me that 7 students from Wuhan returned to campus before the quarantine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter