Costco, BJs, Sam's Club - Do You Have a Preference (Discussion)

FWIW, my DS begged for a family Sam's membership when he moved out of the dorms and into his own place. He loves being able to buy staples like freezer bags just once a year, and he is lazy about cooking, so he bought a small chest freezer and likes being able to fill it cheaply. He also likes the bakery for muffins that can be frozen and re-heated in the toaster oven.

We only have a membership to Costco but have a Sam's Club nearby as well. The nearest BJ's is too far away to be useful.

The worst part of going to Costco is having to enter the "Kill Zone" to get to or leave the store. I think it is amazing that people don't get run over every day. I think Costco should actually build tunnels to get people safely from the parking lot to the store and back.

View attachment 809013
When our Sam's Club built a new facility, that's exactly how they configured the entrance!

We've been Costco members for years and years. We like it, it's always crowded but the checkout lines always move fast and the crowds don't bother us.

BJ's moved in here a number of years ago but the nearest one to us is about 40 miles, we have not visited.

Sam's had a special a while ago for a yearly membership for like $7 or $8. We went in and signed up. We made 2 visits but never purchased anything. It seemed dingy, the meats looked sus, and it reminded me of a 4th class Wal Mart. I haven't been in a Wal Mart in years.

Sam's Club "Scan and Go" FTW!
You open the app, scan the merch as you drop it in your cart, then walk out like you stole it. (well, the guy at the door scans the QR on your phone, but close enough). I learned about it from another customer while standing in a LONG line to check out during the early COVID madness. GAME CHANGER!

We don’t have a Sam’s near us, but we do have Costco and BJs and buy specific things at each.

Costco is for grass-fed ground beef and organic chicken, Kerrygold butter, Kirkland toilet paper and paper towels, trash bags…

BJs is mainly for low-moisture block mozzarella and the two-packs of Daisy sour cream, neither of which are sold at Costco. Sometimes I’ll grab their grass fed steaks. Their gas is also almost always the cheapest.

Costco’s $50 off each additional pair of glasses is now permanent. Bought 3 pairs of glasses today and with insurance plus the discount, saved a ton of money. as long as it’s for the same person you get the deal. Can be different frames and different lenses.

Costco’s $50 off each additional pair of glasses is now permanent. Bought 3 pairs of glasses today and with insurance plus the discount, saved a ton of money. as long as it’s for the same person you get the deal. Can be different frames and different lenses.
How is the frame quality? I used to get mine from Target and they were pretty good in the mid-range price. Then someone complained about how much I spent so I went to one of those cheapy free exam places and even the mid-range price frames are terrible.

How is the frame quality? I used to get mine from Target and they were pretty good in the mid-range price. Then someone complained about how much I spent so I went to one of those cheapy free exam places and even the mid-range price frames are terrible.
They seem fine to me. I don’t wear my glasses all the time. Mainly for driving and TV. I purchased computer glasses today. I’ve gotten the kids glasses from Costco too and they hold up well.

Sam's Club "Scan and Go" FTW!
You open the app, scan the merch as you drop it in your cart, then walk out like you stole it. (well, the guy at the door scans the QR on your phone, but close enough). I learned about it from another customer while standing in a LONG line to check out during the early COVID madness. GAME CHANGER!
We've been using the Scan and Go since the pandemic started. No more waiting in line. Of course, it depends if the app is actually working or not. A couple of times it hasn't been, so we were in lines (thankfully fairly short those times).

I belonged to BJ’s for about five years then canceled. When Costco first opened in my area I had a free 30 day trial but decided not to join. When my kids moved out it didn’t make sense to buy in large quantities, even though I have plenty of storage space.

I’m aware that a membership comes with advantages that could save money even if I never shopped there.

I remember fondly a thread on this forum from years ago titled Costco Guilt. The theme was stuff you bought at Costco with no nope of ever using it up. The OP mentioned taco seasoning. In the grocery store they sell little packs of an ounce or two, at Costco you get the family size container. The OP made a comment along the lines of they eat tacos regularly but after a long period of time there was only a small dent made in the seasoning supply :rotfl2:

For us it was a huge jar of Disney themed Animal Crackers. Big 'ol jug of 'em with a cute Disney sticker on it. We had two small granddaughters and thought the treats would be great for snacks. We used about 1/10 of them before throwing them out. BTW--for adults, those things don't taste as good as they did when we were kids. We tried!:earboy2:

I remember fondly a thread on this forum from years ago titled Costco Guilt. The theme was stuff you bought at Costco with no nope of ever using it up. The OP mentioned taco seasoning. In the grocery store they sell little packs of an ounce or two, at Costco you get the family size container. The OP made a comment along the lines of they eat tacos regularly but after a long period of time there was only a small dent made in the seasoning supply :rotfl2:

Funny, my wife and I were just talking about how we need to buy another container of the taco seasoning soon. 🤣. I make fajitas about every week and I use a lot of it with each batch I make.

To @kanne323 regarding the clothing, I will have to take a look at Sam's offerings. BJs clothing offerings were depressing and definitely the quality was a step lower than what Costco offers. That said, for women at least, Costco has seemed to have really pulled back on most of the "business" type options for women and they now offer at least 20 different types of sweatshirts and pull on pants, lol!! That was a COVID stay-at-home effect that most stores suffered but Costco seems to be keeping with those styles, so I've bought far less in clothing than I used to. I think the men's choices are great though!

Ah, good to know- sounds like Costco clothing might be more along the lines of Sam's now. Sam's has this really amazing way of convincing me I need another pair of leggings, or sweatshirt, or something cozy... by just putting it in front of me.

When we lived in WNY, BJs was our only real option. I had one 5 min away so I got most of my gas there during those years. I did still keep my Costco membership from Seattle though and would sometimes make the hour+ drive to Rochester to go to theirs (Costco was allegedly going to Buffalo when we left but no idea if that ever happened). Now we are currently in Texas so I have Costco and Sam's Club but go to Costco way more.

If I was ranking them, 1.) Costco 2.) Sam's Club 3.) BJs. BJ's often had the Fairlife protein shakes I liked, I do miss that. But overall it's disappointing for a warehouse unless that is all you have.

We only have a membership to Costco but have a Sam's Club nearby as well. The nearest BJ's is too far away to be useful.

The worst part of going to Costco is having to enter the "Kill Zone" to get to or leave the store. I think it is amazing that people don't get run over every day. I think Costco should actually build tunnels to get people safely from the parking lot to the store and back.

View attachment 809013
Well they do sell caskets if that unfortunate event does happen.

Funny, my wife and I were just talking about how we need to buy another container of the taco seasoning soon. 🤣. I make fajitas about every week and I use a lot of it with each batch I make.

Ditto. end up buying 3 or 4 of those a year since we go through it so fast.

For us it was a huge jar of Disney themed Animal Crackers. Big 'ol jug of 'em with a cute Disney sticker on it. We had two small granddaughters and thought the treats would be great for snacks. We used about 1/10 of them before throwing them out. BTW--for adults, those things don't taste as good as they did when we were kids. We tried!:earboy2:

That is my impression of a lot of the items at Costco as well. They trick you into buying a HUGE quantity of something that at the time seemed like a bargain or good idea. If you never use it up and toss it in the trash because it has gone stale, you haven't really 'saved' anything.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter