Costco food court will require showing a membership card now

Hmm...I have only eaten there once, The only I see a problem with would be the one off Cal expo, it is located outside. I haven't been there in a long time.

Never been to Costco. I kind of live in between the Cal Expo and Citrus Heights locations. My daughter lives about 3 blocks from the Citrus Heights location and has a membership, so I will have to have her take me some time.

There's actually a Costco in my NYC neighborhood. I've never been in because who has space to store anything you can buy there in an NYC apartment (clearly someone does since it's always packed, but it's not me!). Now I'm tempted to go and see if a. there is a food court and b. if I can eat it and c. how good this hotdog must be.

I don’t think you can buy a large hotdog and soda with unlimited refills for $1.50 anywhere else, plus you can walk around after and nibble on the free samples that are being given out by the vendors. So it’s almost free food.

Also, like others have said the price of the food is subsidized by the members who pay to shop there.
Sam’s Club, but they’re competing with Costco. When I had a membership and was working in a town with a Sam’s Club I’d sometimes just go there. Less crowded and I preferred their hot dog, plus they had Coke drinks. I’d usually get Cherry Coke.

There's actually a Costco in my NYC neighborhood. I've never been in because who has space to store anything you can buy there in an NYC apartment (clearly someone does since it's always packed, but it's not me!). Now I'm tempted to go and see if a. there is a food court and b. if I can eat it and c. how good this hotdog must be.

A lot of small businesses get their bulk supplies from Costco.

I'm fascinated by people who hold memberships for just home use- what do you buy? Where do you put it? I remember my dad having a card long ago, but we were only a family of 3 living in a small house so really there was no point buying anything in that large a quantity LOL

I'm fascinated by people who hold memberships for just home use- what do you buy? Where do you put it? I remember my dad having a card long ago, but we were only a family of 3 living in a small house so really there was no point buying anything in that large a quantity LOL
Not everything is large quantity. We buy clothing, books, backpacks, lunchbags, food. Nothing we actually buy is in bulk.

We got an amazing deal on snow tires and garage doors in the past. The price we pay for our card more then pays for itself, and we only go maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

I just bought a shirt today (I find a good amount of their appearal to be good), we buy toilet paper (just did that today) which is Costco's number 1 selling item. It's great because they come in individually packaged 6 packs so I can put one in one bathroom then another in another bathroom and so on. Just bought Kleenex today too. Bottled water is another great deal there bought that the last time we were there, oh an Crystal Light packs for water bottles, K-cups. Oh and their chicken breasts. We buy them then freeze them. They come in vacuumed sealed pouches 2 per pouches so it's great there.

Really there's a ton of stuff. The thing about bulk items is it's not necessarily taking up a huge amount of space. The fact that you were just 3 people in a small house doesn't mean you wouldn't have benefited or found usage in buying things at Costco.

Now today when we went gasoline was 18cents cheaper than our Murphy gas station. That's the first time in several years that that has happened. Normally Costco gasoline is cheaper (and it is by about 20 cents compared to everyone else) BUT when the Murphy gas station (Walmart's gas station) opened up it's been consistently cheaper by a decent amount even compared to Costco so it was a bit of a surprised today--unfortunately we didn't need gasoline.

On the other hand today we bypassed the Clorox Bleech because we don't really need 3 larger sized containers of it when we only use it for our washing machine. We'll buy Great Value brand the next time we're at Walmart in a normal sized container.

It's just my husband and I and we find a lot of things. Some things aren't a good deal if you won't be using them but there are many other things that are.

I go about once a month. My biggest purchases are non-bulk food items (salmon, steak, chicken, bagged salad, popcorn, fruit), paper towels, tires (best deal around), gas, clothing (I think the majority of my husband's casual wear is from Costco), pasta, pasta sauce, CeraVe moisturizer. I could go on. With the exception of the paper towels, I think everything I buy is very discounted.

Not everything is large quantity. We buy clothing, books, backpacks, lunchbags, food. Nothing we actually buy is in bulk.

We got an amazing deal on snow tires and garage doors in the past. The price we pay for our card more then pays for itself, and we only go maybe 3 or 4 times a year.
I used to buy page a day calendars, their book selections is usually pretty good, I've seen some Disney stuff too. We've bought Christmas decor too there, the last time my husband got tires he got them at Costco, oh and we do Costco rental cars which usually can't be beat on pricing (got a trip next week with a rental booked through Costco).

Meds. You can't beat their prices on things like allergy pills and ibuprofen.

A lot of people believe that the gas prices alone justify a membership. Staples such as eggs and dairy get used, and frozen foods obviously keep for a while. They have clothes/shoes, toys, etc in singles. The whole roasted chicken for $4.99 is obviously a draw.

I used to buy page a day calendars, their book selections is usually pretty good, I've seen some Disney stuff too. We've bought Christmas decor too there, the last time my husband got tires he got them at Costco, oh and we do Costco rental cars which usually can't be beat on pricing (got a trip next week with a rental booked through Costco).

Oh, how could I forget the rental car. I used them in November for my Disney trip and got the best price out of every other way a checked.

The hubs and I have a membership for the gasoline, but it is very important to note that we get 2% cash back on costco purchases and if you do not get enough in rewards your first year to pay your membership then they will bump it up for you. Our membership is 60$ Last year we had 45$ and some change in rewards. Talked to guest services and they changed it to 60$. They told us about that at signup but I can't find a page about it. This year our rewards was $56.78 so we paid a few dollars for the membership.

I also use it to pick up our trick or treat candy, and the nice boxes of chocolates they get in for the neighbors and postal worker during the holidays. But really, we mostly buy gas.

I have found a better deal than Costco on toilet paper, napkins and paper towels at my supermarket sale.
I haven't then again I'm buying Kirkland brand.

When you compare costs you also need to make sure you're comparing ply count, roll count combined with ply count combined with how many sheets in each roll, sheet count on paper towels and quantity. Just comparing costs won't do it

We are 2 people in our late 50s. We shop at Costco weekly, and generally buy the same items each week. Our bill can range anywhere from $30 to $100 weekly. We shop based on what is on sale there. We buy very little at the grocery store.

In addition, we buy gas there weekly and book vacations through them (cruises and rental cars). We also have their credit card through Citibank (no annual fee). It gives 4% on gas anywhere, 3% on restaurant and travel expenses, 2% on Costco purchases and 1% on all else. I just received a reward check for over $400! We upgraded to an executive membership just a month ago for an additional $60 because we have a cruise coming up and tires we need to purchase. That gives us an additional 2% back.

I have an American Express card that gives 3% back on groceries, so we use that at the grocery store. Also have a Chase Freedom card with 5% on rotating categories that we use when the categories warrant it.

I have found a better deal than Costco on toilet paper, napkins and paper towels at my supermarket sale.

Yes, you sure can which is why I noted that in my post way upthread. I will only buy Costco paper towels/toilet paper when they are having their own sale. I'll also go to Target and buy them. Whatever is more convenient.

Been a member since 1985
I buy a lot there.....go almost every week
meat, veggies, frozen food, OTC meds, snacks for the grand kids (always the ones they have on sale for the month).
Clothes, books, holiday items, trees, flowers
I buy my gas there.......and eat there occasionally

I don't think it's pool hoppers much anymore just people playing the "towel game". When I stayed at Fiji, it was funny watching resort guests lay towels on the chairs they anticipate using before leaving for the parks. At least half never returned until late in the day. The locking gates really seem to make a difference in pool hopping.

I just stayed in Fiji, for the first time, last Aug for 2 weeks! I could not see the pool though, just the back of the volcano, we were close to the end by Aerotonga. Had a very nice view of the marina. I really loved that building.

There was a mishap while we were there of some flooding in Trader Sams. They closed the back hallway and Capt Cooks. We had to go through the doors directly to the pool on several days and around the pool to get to Fiji. Lots of people grabbing the gate as people went through...with their backpacks/poolbags/fully dressed. Maybe because it was summer? The day we went to spend a day by the pool not a chair to be found and the pool was people soup!

No.

Sam's, BJ's, and Costco are extremely similar.

There will be items one carries that the other does not.

Thanks! You just saved me some time and $$ !!!

Family of 5 here. At one point, I had 2 teen boys, who both played lots of sports. At any given moment, I could have 2 - 20 teen boys in my house! Lots of snacks, gatorades, water etc.. For our own family meals, the meats at BJs is not only cheap, but come in over 3 lb packages, which I needed. 9 Chicken breasts got me through one dinner, with one left over for hubby's lunch the next day.

My boys are grown now, but still have one DD16 at home. I buy a gallon of milk for $2.22. Cases of water. Meat, which I now split and freeze, fruit/produce is incredibly inexpensive and BJs carries Jones/Nautica/Eddie Baeur and other good quality clothes for really great prices....not to mention Disney GCs at 5% off!

Most other things I can find cheaper when there is a sale at my local grocery store.

Totally agree...at BJs too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter