Covid Creativity

Love your porch furniture and all your lights. I know about people not getting fences done. The lad next door decided he was going to redo our falling down fence (wind damage from a year or 2 ago) and took down the old fence and is still putting up the new fence months later. He is working with his Dad so I guess they have to work on their paying customers first. He is paying for it all because he wanted to do something nice for his Mom and for me because I have been a good neighbour all these years. :flower: It really isn't a problem waiting because I use my front yard more than the back yard so all is well.
I see your cat roaming about the yard.

My mother needed to have her roof reshingled in Toronto =- guy came over last Tuesday for a quote and today she is getting a new roof. Guess we didn't have the wind damage on roofs here that we had last year and year before or her roof is small and won't take much time. All I can say is she is happy her roof won't leak anymore.

Aww that is so nice of your neighbours!

I would use the backyard more (I use to) but without a fence, on a corner lot, everyone sees us. Ugh... We will be putting in 6' posts and paying for the dig & set. Our neighbour will reimburse us half the cost of a 4' post. We strongly feel the 6' posts look better and will be a stronger support. We get a lot of wind. He's flipping the house and doesn't realize how much wind comes across in the winter. Once the posts are in, we're both paying half the costs of the wood and both of us (he and his son, myself, my husband and son, maybe my Dad) will put up the fence. Hmm... maybe we'll still get it all done before winter. I hope so.

Yeah, Marbles my cat. :goodvibes She loves being outside but I won't let her roam free. She gets put on a harness and lead on the front porch when I go outside. Sometimes I'll let her stay out there herself as long as she's sleeping on a chair and not roaming the grass. I just keep checking on her. I'm really hoping the fence will be up before winter. She use to be allowed the freedom of the backyard before the fence came down. She'd love to have the backyard freedom back. Since we all thought she was going to pass away during the winter (but didn't!) I'm just not sure if she will make it through this winter.

As for what I did during the first few months of our lock-down... I scrapbooked! I haven't been able to for the past month, but up until then I spent hours at my computer trying to complete an album for my son & I's California 2017 trip. Once I finish it, I need to help my daughter with her Europe trip, then I can do our August 2019 Universal Studio's trip.

Here's a link if anyone would like to see what is completed so far. At one point you'll come to 6 blank pages. Go past those pages to see more completed ones. I have to back-track and design more page layouts for the skipped Dolphin boat tour day. I was saving those for last as it was the highlight of our trip!

https://www.picaboo.com/share/?shar...e=trg&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=shareproj

I would use the backyard more (I use to) but without a fence, on a corner lot, everyone sees us. Ugh...
Yup me too. My nephews girlfriend (who lives in my basement with my nephew) used to sit out the back and sunbath but yea with the fence missing and being 1 house up from a public walkway she hasn't being doing that.

As for what I did during the first few months of our lock-down... I scrapbooked! I haven't been able to for the past month, but up until then I spent hours at my computer trying to complete an album for my son & I's California 2017 trip. Once I finish it, I need to help my daughter with her Europe trip, then I can do our August 2019 Universal Studio's trip.

Here's a link if anyone would like to see what is completed so far. At one point you'll come to 6 blank pages. Go past those pages to see more completed ones. I have to back-track and design more page layouts for the skipped Dolphin boat tour day. I was saving those for last as it was the highlight of our trip!

https://www.picaboo.com/share/?shar...e=trg&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=shareproj
Love your book! The colours on the electrical parade page are stunning!! I am about 10 years behind doing those and need to get on it.

Love your book! The colours on the electrical parade page are stunning!! I am about 10 years behind doing those and need to get on it.

Thank you! I can't wait to get started on it again. Right now I have too many other things I need to focus on and get out of the way.

Those are amazing! I especially love the halter top. My Mom knew how to knit but never taught me. There are times when I wish I knew how to knit. LIke when I saw photos like yours!

Thanks so much! It was a fun quick project and sparked a "need" for more of them. I have the yarn to start a similar project at work with me.

I will say the basics of knitting are very simple. There are two basic stitches and everything uses either one or both of them in combination with some other techniques. I know a LOT of people who have taught themselves to knit using nothing more than YouTube. My mom taught me the basics and any time I get stuck I get back on the YouTubes and they sort me out. I knit in a different style from "most" but it's still easy to find what I need. The two basic styles are known as "English" (the most common also called "throwers") and "Continental" you hold the yarn in opposite hands is honestly the biggest difference. My mom knits continental like me but she taught my sister first and when my sister couldn't grasp continental knitting she managed to cobble together enough of a memory of English knitting to teach her those basics. We twins like to sit and knit together and confuse people by doing it completely different from each other. We also like to bicker about who knits "weirdly" and who doesn't.

So I have stopped with the sewing right now and have gone back to my painting. I decided my friends and my sister who are still working (I am retired) needed a friend to keep them company at work so I made them some. 2 of my friends are working from home and my sister is working from her office but she is the only 1 on her floor.
May I present their new office friends.
P9110688 artwork.jpg
I am going to do some more painting as I am on a roll and want to paint some cactuses on black canvas and see what that looks like.
I found this other picture on a website the other day and it now describes me to a T as I just bought some more paint and brushes.
tuttles need more crafts.jpg

So I have stopped with the sewing right now and have gone back to my painting. I decided my friends and my sister who are still working (I am retired) needed a friend to keep them company at work so I made them some. 2 of my friends are working from home and my sister is working from her office but she is the only 1 on her floor.
May I present their new office friends.
View attachment 525342
I am going to do some more painting as I am on a roll and want to paint some cactuses on black canvas and see what that looks like.
I found this other picture on a website the other day and it now describes me to a T as I just bought some more paint and brushes.
View attachment 525343

LOL
I need more yarn,,love the designs and paintings Hon.
I especially love the Gnome.
Hugs
Mel

I'm a proud maskaholic, constantly tweaking the patterns, searching for new materials, and outfitting the family. Had to come up with one to cover our son's full beard (think Santa but with red hair!) and after several attempts I came up with this that involves a ziptie down the front to keep it away from the beard and an elastic to completely cover the danged thing!
hubby modeling it -- no beard on him!

Then we found out that our daughter & her wife are adopting a new puppy so they obviously need masks to wear when they pick her up AND what kind of grandma would i be if i didn't make a matching bandanna to go on the collar :P

I literally broke my sewing machine making masks so i had to buy a new one. HOLY crap it has so many features to learn, it might take me until there's a vaccine! I figured i would kill 2 birds with one stone and make a cover for the journal my doctor wants me to keep (not just for the standard blah blah blah, i feel like crap, but to help with the sieve brain that's keeping me awake because i forget to do things!) and learn some of the features. Now bare in mind that I have never, not once, even quilted a friggin placemat, never had the urge because I'm too anal and the thought of making all those seams match up gives me hives BUT, I have a ton of small pieces of fabric from all my mask making and previous crafting ventures that are quickly become Mount Scrapmore and I figured that I should use some of those to create a sort of quilted cover. I spent HOURS,( I'm guessing close to 20 perhaps?) cutting out the squares, measuring, trying to get them "just so", fiddling with the different stitches, sewing, then cursing at myself because i neglected to take into account the amount of fabric i would lose with all those bloody seams (rookie mistake, I've been sewing since 1975!) and that meant needing to cut another 20-ish squares, sew up more rows and attach them to what I thought was the finished top and finally sewing the entire thing together. Is it perfect? no, not even close! How do I feel now? AWESOME! I'm proud of myself and I had a really good time, I had forgotten how much fun it is to create something that has no purpose other than the process. The fact that I ended up with something that usable and attractive (to me at least) is a big bonus. Just don't look too closely all of you quilters, i KNOW it's a hot mess :P I even made some bookmarks to separate the 3 sections i need

Love all the pictures. You've got a great assortment of fabric on the go. I'm jealous. Our local fabric store is having difficulty getting creative fabric in stock. I keep hoping.

Keep up the creative work. It's good for the soul.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter