Creative ideas to offset college tuition?

We used Parent Plus Loans to bridge a gap in our son's College costs. The backup was the equity in our paid off home. Never had to tap into that.
But before we ever had kids we decided we, not they, would pay for their college because that was what we felt was best for our family to be.

By now you should have received his financial aid package from the school so you know whether he received any need-based aid in addition to the merit scholarship he was awarded. The work study someone mentioned would be part of that, as well as any grants. That tells you the total amount you need to come up with.
As someone else mentioned the student can only take out $5500 in loans himself. Anything beyond that needs a co-signer. For the student loan, if you have financial need he may qualify for a subsidized student loan, where the govt pays the interest while the student is in school. If he only gets an unsubsidized loan then the interest accrues while in school.
One of the schools my kid attended offered a monthly payment plan through an outside company. You could pay monthly rather than paying in full upfront at the beginning of each semester. That can be helpful if you are paying out of cash flow/current earnings. Of course there was a fee for this but it wasn’t much.
Congratulations to your son and best of luck!

Another poster suggested that $27k is the max, but that is for federal Stafford Loans. Private Loans can be added to that and bring the 'available' financing in your child's name to a much bigger number, but the private loans will likely require a co-signer and will carry higher rates than the Staffords. Any private loans requiring a cosigner will affect the co-signer's credit rating and count against their total debt outstanding.

It's hard to pay for many schools nowadays with normal savings...six-figure total tuition and fees, room and board, are the norm. We used Parent Plus loans to cover a good chunk of our daughter's schooling for the flexibility in payment terms and the ability to get large sums, as needed. They are not for most people, but we knew ahead of time that we had the means to pay them off. Directing the proceeds to the school meant we never needed to worry about payment deadlines. It was a seamless and easy process.

Sounds like I'm probably in the minority, but I would use the money you have put aside for the retirement home. I am on the parents should largely pay for college train (that's the legacy in my family, I know it's not in others - to each his own), but am adamantly opposed to any loans for college unless you just don't have any other options.

Everyone I know who's purchased a home intended for retirement "someday", but rented it out in the meantime, ended up regretting the decision. It's a hassle finding good renters, they put significant wear and tear on the house all those years, etc. Once retirement came, they either ended up selling the house and buying another because their needs/wants changed, or they had to do significant renovations to fix rental damage and get it into the state they wanted for their permanent home.

So I'd just use that savings for your son's college, then start re-saving to purchase something when you actually hit retirement.

As far as funneling that money into your 529, that's something you really need to work with people who know your specific state's tax laws with. What the benefits are varies significantly from state to state. My understanding is that Louisiana has much better tax incentives than mine (California - they don't have squat for tax benefits except it grows tax free). I grew up in LA and my family still lives there - my brother and I were discussing 529s at Christmas, and I know he still contributes to my nephews' 529s even though they are already in college because the tax benefits are so good. I stopped contributing to my daughter's (also in college) a couple of years ago, and will just use my investment accounts to pay anything that exceeds her 529 now because it's not worth the chance of having too much in her 529 and getting hit with penalties to withdraw it, and other than some small amount of tax-free growth there's no great benefits for me there.

But as someone else mentioned - check to see if you are eligible for the tuition tax deduction. If you are under the income limit, it basically works out to getting back $2500 on $4000 of QUALIFIED expenses each year. But that money needs to come from your loans, savings or cash flowed, it cannot come from 529s. (If you don't know what qualified expenses are, it's time to start Googling that ;) - it impacts both the tax deduction, and what can be reimbursed from your 529, although what is considered qualified varies a little between them. My daughter's non-qualified fees exceed $1000/yr, and she's at a cheaper state university and lives at home - so be sure to have a plan for how to pay them. The school should be able to give you a break down of what portion of their fees are qualified vs. non-qualified)

I know this is all overwhelming. It took me most of DDs senior year in HS to figure it all out - just take it one step at a time. Once I had it all down, I realized I was in much better shape to handle it financially than I originally thought. But planning and detailed record keeping is key.

Last edited:

Happy Easter, everyone! Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions!

I may be totally off-base here, but is he interested in the military? At all?
Not at all! My youngest is obsessed with it, though, so we are hoping he will go that route!

Go work for the college/university where your son wants to go. I've heard some give discounted or free tuition to their employees' dependents
Very creative idea! However, I actually work for our local university and DH is planning to also retire in his job, it would be too costly to change at this point;, not to mention we would uproot the entire family to move to another state. It's just not feasible.

What's the major? And is it possible to get a master's (that's usually a 2 year gig) after a free 4 year at the state school?

My daughter has a very specific major choice that isn't at every school, but thankfully, is at many large state schools, so I get having limited options. But, she is adamant about wanting little debt

Illustration. He could get a master's, but I think he wants to just get the bachelor's and get employed! And, I would imagine that he will be very successful with just a bachelor's. We have lots of grad degrees in my family, so I'm all for them, but if can accomplish it all with a BA, then that is great.
My kiddo is sickened by the debt, and he enjoys architecture and engineering, which he could get at LSU for free; so, I am practically asking him on a daily basis if he could be happy with one of those, which would also use his artistic talents, but he is adamant that the debt is worth it to him. This has been his passion since being a toddler, so I just have to have faith that it is the right path, even though I will never get it!

Hopefully your daughter will have more financial options for grad school than she realizes. I had tuition covered and received an additional $12k/year to be a research assistant, so hopefully she will come across something like that!

Is there any way he can become a resident of that state where he will be attending? Is there an in-state rate?

See if his school offers any Federal Work Studys jobs. They are on campus jobs that work around the students schedule and they can usually have some imput as to what the job is. It may be things like working in school library, the information desk, working in a department, etc. Nothing strenuous.

Lastly, he's going to need to get a job. Our daughter is a freshmen this year and about a month after school started, she got a weekend job. She works doubles on Sat and Sunday.

No, it is a private school (and I did look into all the loopholes with that, too). He was offered $1k/semester in work study and will definitely take that, and we will see about the course work load and an additional job once he gets acclimated. He will definitely work summers, including this one!

The maximum amount of Federal Loans he can get is $27,000: 5,500 Freshman year, 6,500 Sophomore year, and 7,500 Junior and Senior Year.

Yes you can put money in the 529 and then take it back out to pay tuition. I've done this with all my kids, kid 3 starting college in Fall. I put all their graduation $$ in the 529 then send a check from the 529 account directly to the college for fall tuition. I then get a break on my state taxes in the form of a credit for my contribution.

Not sure of your income level, but we qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit:
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/aotc

Good luck on your journey, I know how stressful it is, but it will go fast :-)

Thanks so much, this is exactly the info I was looking for! We should qualify for the deduction, so that is nice to know, too. I'll leave $4k out of the 529 and pay that directly and dip the rest in. Every little bit helps!

I see from the other post that we are talking about art schools -- that's a tough one. I'm not sure if he's already committed to one (sent in a deposit) but if not, it might be possible to negotiate with/ask for a reconsideration from the financial aid office at his first-choice school. Even if he's already getting the max in merit aid, there might be some special grants (such as for summer research) that could be added to his aid package.

Yes! He sent them an email and they said they will send it to the "appeals" department and get back with us. I doubt it will be much more, but every bit helps. His second choice school sent him yet another scholarship this week, so he has not declined that school yet (or accepted this other one) until he sees what happens with the appeal.

Has he talked to his Guidance Counselor? Explored other scholarships not from the college? Grants?
Yes, and they are all so oddly specific! He applied to a lot, but they are all small awards and have many thousands applying to them. The school offers more for upper class, so he will continue to apply for more at the school as he qualifies for different ones. For example, they can volunteer at the school's program that brings the arts to impoverished children and get a scholarship (and he would do the volunteer work regardless). I'm also hoping he can get an RA job, but I am not sure how competitive that is. He is very responsible and great with conflict management; he is also very personable and funny, but he is not extroverted like most RAs are.

We used Parent Plus Loans to bridge a gap in our son's College costs. The backup was the equity in our paid off home. Never had to tap into that.
But before we ever had kids we decided we, not they, would pay for their college because that was what we felt was best for our family to be.
As soon as we find out the exact amount, I'm going to check into the PP loans, but the rate really concerns me!

By now you should have received his financial aid package from the school so you know whether he received any need-based aid in addition to the merit scholarship he was awarded. The work study someone mentioned would be part of that, as well as any grants. That tells you the total amount you need to come up with.
As someone else mentioned the student can only take out $5500 in loans himself. Anything beyond that needs a co-signer. For the student loan, if you have financial need he may qualify for a subsidized student loan, where the govt pays the interest while the student is in school. If he only gets an unsubsidized loan then the interest accrues while in school.
One of the schools my kid attended offered a monthly payment plan through an outside company. You could pay monthly rather than paying in full upfront at the beginning of each semester. That can be helpful if you are paying out of cash flow/current earnings. Of course there was a fee for this but it wasn’t much.
Congratulations to your son and best of luck!

Thanks! After we hear about the grant/scholarship appeal, I am going to call and get more info on the package they sent. The federal loans don't add up to $5500, so I guess that means we aren't eligible for more? They also have a monthly payment plan, and there is no charge for it, so maybe we can do that for some of it.

Another poster suggested that $27k is the max, but that is for federal Stafford Loans. Private Loans can be added to that and bring the 'available' financing in your child's name to a much bigger number, but the private loans will likely require a co-signer and will carry higher rates than the Staffords. Any private loans requiring a cosigner will affect the co-signer's credit rating and count against their total debt outstanding.

It's hard to pay for many schools nowadays with normal savings...six-figure total tuition and fees, room and board, are the norm. We used Parent Plus loans to cover a good chunk of our daughter's schooling for the flexibility in payment terms and the ability to get large sums, as needed. They are not for most people, but we knew ahead of time that we had the means to pay them off. Directing the proceeds to the school meant we never needed to worry about payment deadlines. It was a seamless and easy process.

We certainly have not ruled the PP loans out, but I want to do the math when I have the exact specifics. What I would like to do is for him to get the max loans (federal and private, and we are happy to cosign), and then we can help him to pay them back, even starting while he is in school. I want him ultimately responsible for it all just in case something happens to our ability to pay (I cannot imagine this will ever be a problem, though), and that way everything that we do to help him- which will hopefully be a considerable amount- will just be a bonus.

Sounds like I'm probably in the minority, but I would use the money you have put aside for the retirement home. I am on the parents should largely pay for college train (that's the legacy in my family, I know it's not in others - to each his own), but am adamantly opposed to any loans for college unless you just don't have any other options.

Everyone I know who's purchased a home intended for retirement "someday", but rented it out in the meantime, ended up regretting the decision. It's a hassle finding good renters, they put significant wear and tear on the house all those years, etc. Once retirement came, they either ended up selling the house and buying another because their needs/wants changed, or they had to do significant renovations to fix rental damage and get it into the state they wanted for their permanent home.

So I'd just use that savings for your son's college, then start re-saving to purchase something when you actually hit retirement.

As far as funneling that money into your 529, that's something you really need to work with people who know your specific state's tax laws with. What the benefits are varies significantly from state to state. My understanding is that Louisiana has much better tax incentives than mine (California - they don't have squat for tax benefits except it grows tax free). I grew up in LA and my family still lives there - my brother and I were discussing 529s at Christmas, and I know he still contributes to my nephews' 529s even though they are already in college because the tax benefits are so good. I stopped contributing to my daughter's (also in college) a couple of years ago, and will just use my investment accounts to pay anything that exceeds her 529 now because it's not worth the chance of having too much in her 529 and getting hit with penalties to withdraw it, and other than some small amount of tax-free growth there's no great benefits for me there.

But as someone else mentioned - check to see if you are eligible for the tuition tax deduction. If you are under the income limit, it basically works out to getting back $2500 on $4000 of QUALIFIED expenses each year. But that money needs to come from your loans, savings or cash flowed, it cannot come from 529s. (If you don't know what qualified expenses are, it's time to start Googling that ;) - it impacts both the tax deduction, and what can be reimbursed from your 529, although what is considered qualified varies a little between them. My daughter's non-qualified fees exceed $1000/yr, and she's at a cheaper state university and lives at home - so be sure to have a plan for how to pay them. The school should be able to give you a break down of what portion of their fees are qualified vs. non-qualified)

I know this is all overwhelming. It took me most of DDs senior year in HS to figure it all out - just take it one step at a time. Once I had it all down, I realized I was in much better shape to handle it financially than I originally thought. But planning and detailed record keeping is key.

Before I posted this thread, I asked DH how much he still wanted the cabin, and he said 7 on a 10-point scale; I think I am probably at a 3-4. So, this is definitely the way I'm leaning. I will definitely first maximize the tax credits though. It is completely overwhelming and sickening. I have peace with it being the right direction for him, though, so I will soon have peace with the finances, also. Everything always works out, this will, too!

Thanks again for all the advice!

If you qualify for financial aid know that any outside scholarships will just reduce financial aid and not really get you any closer to your final number. From our experience work study and loans go away first so it does help a little, but it doesn't add on top of what they already give you. So if the total bill is $40,000 and you have $10,000 in financial aid still owing $30,000 then add an outside scholarship of $2500 then most likely you will still owe $30,000 and just have $2500 less in financial aid given to you.

We certainly have not ruled the PP loans out, but I want to do the math when I have the exact specifics. What I would like to do is for him to get the max loans (federal and private, and we are happy to cosign), and then we can help him to pay them back, even starting while he is in school. I want him ultimately responsible for it all just in case something happens to our ability to pay (I cannot imagine this will ever be a problem, though), and that way everything that we do to help him- which will hopefully be a considerable amount- will just be a bonus.

I certainly understand your desire to have him as the responsible party. We all make the choices that are right for our family.

It's certainly possible that, with Stafford and private loans, your son will be able to gain enough financing for his degree. But as you already know, good art schools are not cheap. His loan payments will approximate a rent payment on an apartment somewhere if he ends up with six figures of loans. His ability to get any type of other consumer credit may be affected.

Understand too that as a cosigner, the full amount of the debt taken out will go against your credit report as well as your son's. Doesn't matter that the loan is in his name - as a cosigner you agree to be 100% responsible for the debt if he does not pay, so you take on 100% of the responsibility when it comes to your available credit.

If you qualify for financial aid know that any outside scholarships will just reduce financial aid and not really get you any closer to your final number. From our experience work study and loans go away first so it does help a little, but it doesn't add on top of what they already give you. So if the total bill is $40,000 and you have $10,000 in financial aid still owing $30,000 then add an outside scholarship of $2500 then most likely you will still owe $30,000 and just have $2500 less in financial aid given to you.

I did not know that! I doubt he will get the outside scholarships as most really did not apply to him (and I"m not even sure if they were legit). I hope this does not apply for the school's scholarships, if he is able to get more!

Really??? So, if my son gets $3,0000 in outside scholarships, they will take federal aid away from him? What's the point of filling out all of those scholarships? I mean, other than the obvious, scholarships you don't pay back. But scholarships also help bridge the gap between federal aid and the GIGANTIC final bill! This is dumb!

This is not about the school, per se, but the major. No school in our state offers it.

No school in my state offered the major I wanted; that qualified me to attend an out-of-state school at slightly more than their in-state tuition rate. Any possibility there is such a program in your area for which he would qualify with his chosen major?

No school in my state offered the major I wanted; that qualified me to attend an out-of-state school at slightly more than their in-state tuition rate. Any possibility there is such a program in your area for which he would qualify with his chosen major?

I looked into that, but that program only qualifies you for the in-state rate of the out-of-state school of public schools. Since it’s a private school and there is no difference in rates, it doesn’t work. Now, he could go to another state’s public school (I think we are limited to southern states), but i didn’t see any state schools offering illustration. To make him go into fine arts or graphic design would limit him significantly. These art schools offer so much more than universities. I guess that’s why they’re insanely priced.

I looked into that, but that program only qualifies you for the in-state rate of the out-of-state school of public schools. Since it’s a private school and there is no difference in rates, it doesn’t work. Now, he could go to another state’s public school (I think we are limited to southern states), but i didn’t see any state schools offering illustration. To make him go into fine arts or graphic design would limit him significantly. These art schools offer so much more than universities. I guess that’s why they’re insanely priced.

Is this kinda what he wants - this is a state school, so it wouldn't be too pricey even out of state, especially if you got the swap...(the school itself seems to have a LOT of "true" art type majors)...

https://www.vcu.edu/academics/?d=bachelors&k=illustration

"Communication Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts
SCHOOL OF THE ARTS

The Department of Communication Arts B.F.A. program centers on the powerful and timeless relationship between image and story. If your goal is to become a professional character designer, concept artist or creature designer for films or games, an illustrator for publishers and advertisers, a graphic novelist, or scientific illustrator, this could be the right major for you. With a rich history rooted in drawing, painting and art theory, the Communication Arts program is effectively tailored to provide students opportunities to develop the variety of creative skills, techniques and understandings most relevant and sought after in the expanding universe of communication medias. Now more than ever, success grows from relationships and networks of friends and colleagues. The Comm Arts department is, at its core, a diverse community of supportive, inclusive and highly motivated creatives who understand the power and value of supporting one another’s artistic dreams.

CONCENTRATIONS AVAILABLE
scientific illustration"

I also don't understand why everyone else is suggesting (parent) loans when you have the cash. Not only will this save you the interest on the loan, but it will actually result in you paying less for college overall.

Unless something has changed or I am completely off-base, 5.64% of parents' assets are included in your EFC each year. So if the OP has $100k sitting in a savings account for a retirement home, that's an extra $5,640 they are expected to contribute to their child's college expenses that year. Why would anyone pay an extra $20k over the course of four years plus interest on a loan?

If he wants more jobs that just the federal work-study availble in his aid package he should still look for on campus jobs. Beyond the FWS it will limit what jobs he can get but he might still find some, for instance my tutoring job didn't require work-study eligibility.

Maybe find a way to remind him that for his summer job he want's to go with whatever pays the most- not whatever he wants to do. Also keep an ear to the ground for extra jobs he can do for neighbors or family (yard work, moving, dog walking, tutoring, etc.) for cash.

We had this discussion and then our son threw a curveball. He thought 2 years of "nothing" classes were a waste of money and he decided on the first 2 years at a local community college. Between college money earned in a state program based on grades, and the tax credits, his total cost for college is just under $1,000 a year for year 1 and 2. After year 1, he slightly changed his major into a more focused area of CAD/Engineering. Now into his third semester, a local firm came in and saw the work of the school program, interviewed 5 students for positions, and our son landed one, at $20/hr full time with benefits that started on 4-1. He's 20, works full time, has 17 credit hours of school, and makes over 40K a year. He'll finish this fall with 18 credit hours of class, all online. Even better, if he wants to get his bachelors degree, they will pay for it. Since this, he's also been contacted by a contractor with the defense department for a design position for the Navy. The dollars being discussed are eye popping for a 20 year old. I was making $8 working at a KMart through school.

Why am I writing this? Students change majors once at college. Students may not fit in like they think. My stance would concur with a poster above, keep your child closer at a cheaper school to get general education classes out of the way, that way if the thoughts change, you haven't wasted 10's of thousands of dollars. I'm also on board with the work through school idea. Our son has worked 20-30 hours on evenings and weekends since high school before this opportunity. I worked 35+ hours a week through college myself. Work study is fine, but putting significant skin in the game on you child's end will force them to make decisions that may benefit everyone in the long run.

We had this discussion and then our son threw a curveball. He thought 2 years of "nothing" classes were a waste of money and he decided on the first 2 years at a local community college. Between college money earned in a state program based on grades, and the tax credits, his total cost for college is just under $1,000 a year for year 1 and 2. After year 1, he slightly changed his major into a more focused area of CAD/Engineering. Now into his third semester, a local firm came in and saw the work of the school program, interviewed 5 students for positions, and our son landed one, at $20/hr full time with benefits that started on 4-1. He's 20, works full time, has 17 credit hours of school, and makes over 40K a year. He'll finish this fall with 18 credit hours of class, all online. Even better, if he wants to get his bachelors degree, they will pay for it. Since this, he's also been contacted by a contractor with the defense department for a design position for the Navy. The dollars being discussed are eye popping for a 20 year old. I was making $8 working at a KMart through school.

Why am I writing this? Students change majors once at college. Students may not fit in like they think. My stance would concur with a poster above, keep your child closer at a cheaper school to get general education classes out of the way, that way if the thoughts change, you haven't wasted 10's of thousands of dollars. I'm also on board with the work through school idea. Our son has worked 20-30 hours on evenings and weekends since high school before this opportunity. I worked 35+ hours a week through college myself. Work study is fine, but putting significant skin in the game on you child's end will force them to make decisions that may benefit everyone in the long run.

This is awsome for your son but I'm guessing the general ed stuff at an art school isn't going to be the same as a regular uuniversity. The OP also said they start major classes as a freshman so he'll be learning things toward his degree from the start. He'll gain more expereince this way and also learn quickly if it's the right fit for him.

I know plenty of people that didn't change their major and finished in 4 years. I also know people that changed more than once and took 5 or 6 years. Everyone is different, just as every school is different.

I hope your son finishes school because even if he's making the big bucks now doesn't mean he won't hit a roadblock down the way because he doesn't have that piece of paper.

It's great that you have savings that will cover two years of his college expenses. Since your child is just heading to college, my guess is you still have a number of years to go before you retire and so you can rebuild the cabin fund in the future so that's a god option but not your only one. We chose the Parent Plus route despite the interest rate because we didn't want to drain our savings or use our HELOC. We opted to reduce my 401k contributions to the amount needed to get my company match and funnel the rest towards faster repayment of the Parent Plus loan. You might need to "borrow" from your cabin savings for some but you may be able to avoid draining that account altogether.

You can also look into taking advantage of some of credit card bonuses or low/zero interest balance transfers to float some of the loan payments to your advantage. As for your son, he can look into freelance work as an illustrator for local businesses in your community. This can be in addition to a traditional part-time job and can add some real world experience to his resume as he builds new skills at school. He might even do a few illustrations pro bono in exchange for the business or organization promoting his work in their local advertising.

The community college system quality varies significantly by state. I went to LSU, which I suspect is where the OP is located since she also mentioned the school (Geaux Tigers!) - now, that was quite a while ago, but at the time there really was no serious community college system in Louisiana. I believe that is still basically the case, although I admit I could be wrong.

Today I live in California, where the community college system is very strong. Lots of people do their first 2 years there, then transfer to a regular college for their final 2. The schools work actively with students to ensure their credits transfer over properly. It's like night and day from Louisiana when I was there.

Last edited:
Really??? So, if my son gets $3,0000 in outside scholarships, they will take federal aid away from him? What's the point of filling out all of those scholarships? I mean, other than the obvious, scholarships you don't pay back. But scholarships also help bridge the gap between federal aid and the GIGANTIC final bill! This is dumb!
Dd18 only got financial aid from one college, which was the only school that didn’t offer her a merit scholarship. All of the other schools, private and public, ended up having almost the exact COA, the higher priced schools offered much higher scholarships.

I also don't understand why everyone else is suggesting (parent) loans when you have the cash. Not only will this save you the interest on the loan, but it will actually result in you paying less for college overall.

Unless something has changed or I am completely off-base, 5.64% of parents' assets are included in your EFC each year. So if the OP has $100k sitting in a savings account for a retirement home, that's an extra $5,640 they are expected to contribute to their child's college expenses that year. Why would anyone pay an extra $20k over the course of four years plus interest on a loan?

I agree with these two posters. You having the cash would allow you to take it one year at a time, and put off loans as a solution. As your son gets older he can earn some money working part time and contribute. Try and pay for as much as possible for as long as you are able to do it. I really wouldn't take out large loans for Freshman year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter