Crohns and DAS = denied. MODERATOR NOTE: No diagnosis is automatically allowed or denied for DAS. DAS is issued based on needs, not diagnosis

A couple of things to think about;

1) There is often a wait for the restroom at Disney. Many people in line may also have need for the restroom in the near term and be unwilling/unable to let you skip ahead.

2) Once you enter an attraction line, it is not always the easiest thing to go backwards in the line. Additionally, reentering the line is at the discretion of the CM. They may readmit you and allow to advance through the line to where you were or you may only be permitted to the end of the line.

Interesting that the rejection is b/c adults can wait in the line for you, while you exit and return. If that activity is allowed in lines, that actually would be an appropriate accommodation and one in which the party makeup does matter (if it was one adult and all kids, this issue would require DAS b/c the kids could not stay in line solo, but if there are extra adults, this would not require DAS - aka, needs over diagnosis).

Interesting that the rejection is b/c adults can wait in the line for you, while you exit and return. If that activity is allowed in lines, that actually would be an appropriate accommodation and one in which the party makeup does matter (if it was one adult and all kids, this issue would require DAS b/c the kids could not stay in line solo, but if there are extra adults, this would not require DAS - aka, needs over diagnosis).
Also what if the person needs the use of a scooter too? How is one suppose to leave and get back to your party with a scooter. Perhaps if there was a enter through the exit plan, but then you'd have to wait until your party got that far.

A couple of things to think about;

1) There is often a wait for the restroom at Disney. Many people in line may also have need for the restroom in the near term and be unwilling/unable to let you skip ahead.

2) Once you enter an attraction line, it is not always the easiest thing to go backwards in the line. Additionally, reentering the line is at the discretion of the CM. They may readmit you and allow to advance through the line to where you were or you may only be permitted to the end of the line.

If you think you may not be able to make it to a restroom in time, wear adult diapers. Maybe it sounds extreme, but as someone who had their gallbladder removed I have days where what I eat wants out without much warning. Even having them on can help calm the anxiety of an accident.

I have also left more than one line with no problem. Just say Excuse Me multiple times. Or, as in the line at Test Track, the CM may have a door they can let you out. No more spicy food for me before I hop in that line!o_O

OP sorry that you're having such an issue.

Agree that with online option now accessible, there's a lot more folk trying to obtain DAS and I'm sure TikTok and other bragging folk are again driving volume of folk trying to taking advantage of a service much like the prior service before DAS and leading to CMs being directed to be more discerning online on issuing DAS.

That said, going to customer service while at the park is probably your best bet. Giving your situation and essentially a solo traveler for the rides you are seeking accommodation, you probably could leave out you're traveling in a group of 6 which is also a point of contention with some CMs if your intent on using DAS only for those big rides for yourself. That'll garner a more sympathetic ear (not that it should matter -- it shouldn't in a perfect world).

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time…my sister uses the DAS, when needed, due to her issues caused by Crohn’s, and she’s never had a problem getting it in the park.

She’s never tried the online as she isn’t interested in the two addition return times.

I think Disneyland is cracking down on DAS. The last time I did the online chat request, the CM originally said that I could leave the line, then come back in when I was ready. I have seen people get very upset when someone leaves the line and then comes back later. She then said she would grant it, but I shouldn’t count on it for future visits. I wonder if she wrote that in my profile notes….

I think Disneyland is cracking down on DAS. The last time I did the online chat request, the CM originally said that I could leave the line, then come back in when I was ready. I have seen people get very upset when someone leaves the line and then comes back later. She then said she would grant it, but I shouldn’t count on it for future visits. I wonder if she wrote that in my profile notes….

They do seem to be getting more strict. I had to listen to a couple very lengthy interactions with people asking for DAS at a kiosk last weekend and I was a bit appalled at how much the CM was pushing back. It was enough that I made note of her name and memorized her face so that when we need to renew our DAS next time, we make sure we don't go to her. She seemed pretty bent on making it as hard as possible and kept saying "Disney can change the DAS program at any time and there is no guarantee that you will be able to get this assistance in the future."

Something must be up. It is starting to make me nervous.

I have a unique situation as well and I have done the DW pre-registration many times with ease and then the DL twice last November and December and it was a vastly different experience, the DL CM was borderline rude.

I initially also got the wait on a bench until your party is close suggestion to which I responded (kindly:):

A - we did try this once or twice and were accused of line cutting even when I rejoined the party in the overflow prior to the actual queue. (one person joining 2 or 3 others)
B- I go to DL (WDW) to enjoy the attractions I can handle with my family, if I were to wait on a bench, I would just do that until they were done with the attraction.

The CM did issue the pass for me.

Interestingly enough Knotts Berry farm has a pass that allows you to join the line when your party is about to board, but you do it through the exit. Even that wasn't a good experience but got me to thinking this might be a CA thing?

I agree that trying in person is advisable.

My reason is that people understand body language and facial expressions much more readily than voices.

Refusing a voice over the phone is much easier than doing that to a person standing in front of someone. You can see how sincere they seem and assess it more easily.

Do try again in person. I wish you better luck.

I agree that trying in person is advisable.

My reason is that people understand body language and facial expressions much more readily than voices.

Refusing a voice over the phone is much easier than doing that to a person standing in front of someone. You can see how sincere they seem and assess it more easily.

Do try again in person. I wish you better luck.

It's not over the telephone. It's a video call, like a Zoom. They can see you.

The few times I’ve used DAS I‘ve given my diagnosis because there really isn’t a good way to describe why waiting in a long line makes it difficult without adding context. Before I can actually get into details, they‘ve cut me off and told me, “that’s ok, you’re approved.”

They do seem to be getting more strict. I had to listen to a couple very lengthy interactions with people asking for DAS at a kiosk last weekend and I was a bit appalled at how much the CM was pushing back. It was enough that I made note of her name and memorized her face so that when we need to renew our DAS next time, we make sure we don't go to her. She seemed pretty bent on making it as hard as possible and kept saying "Disney can change the DAS program at any time and there is no guarantee that you will be able to get this assistance in the future."

I agree, something is definitely up and it seems like the CM’s have been advised to push back and issue as few DAS passes as possible.

The CM told me I’m going to grant this because you have a small party, which I thought was odd. But if I had used her original suggestion, left the line possibly with my son, then returned to meet dad, I guarantee people would have been angry and accused us of cutting. Im going back in the summer and really hope we get approved. It’s making me nervous too.

It seems like a simple solution since there are people unfortunately abusing the system....show definite proof. Crohns and IBS are issues that can cause more trouble than just having the urgency to go to the bathroom. Some people may experience blood loss with those diseases which leads to anemia, iron deficiency and a whole mess of other issues. There should be a way to have a GI or other doctor sign off on something like this for Disney. I understand Disney would be hesitant to get involved for a variety of reasons, but if they're not assisting people who need it, something needs to change.

So sad dishonest people are ruining this for the people who need it most.

It seems like a simple solution since there are people unfortunately abusing the system....show definite proof. Crohns and IBS are issues that can cause more trouble than just having the urgency to go to the bathroom. Some people may experience blood loss with those diseases which leads to anemia, iron deficiency and a whole mess of other issues. There should be a way to have a GI or other doctor sign off on something like this for Disney. I understand Disney would be hesitant to get involved for a variety of reasons, but if they're not assisting people who need it, something needs to change.

So sad dishonest people are ruining this for the people who need it most.
There's a reason why Disney does not want to KNOW the diagnosis or medical issues. It reduces judgement and liability on all fronts; so they really just want (and need to know) the what specific issue that occurs for inability to wait in a queue like the rest of humanity.

It typically comes down to a safety issue for either the individual or surrounding individuals in the queue where the risks of liability to Disney outweighs the risk of upset patrons.

Yes, abusers of any accommodation ruin things. So it goes unfortunately.

Yes, I get why they don't do it. I was being facetious in suggesting they actually verify proof to cut down on the imposters.

There's a reason why Disney does not want to KNOW the diagnosis or medical issues. It reduces judgement and liability on all fronts; so they really just want (and need to know) the what specific issue that occurs for inability to wait in a queue like the rest of humanity.

It typically comes down to a safety issue for either the individual or surrounding individuals in the queue where the risks of liability to Disney outweighs the risk of upset patrons.

Yes, abusers of any accommodation ruin things. So it goes unfortunately.

It has nothing to do with liability or safety of other guests. It's advertised as a way to help people with disabilities be able to experience the attractions in a more accessible way. Disney's queue set up/environments can be problematic for many different reasons. My child's issues pose no risk to anyone else. Never have. He has had a DAS or its equivalent for over 10 years. It's about how HE is impacted by the queue environment, not how he impacts anyone else.

...he said that they have no control over what I do and that's at my discretion, so they still will not accommodate me with anything.

Reminds me of the time I tried to tell the CM at the Haunted Mansion that it wasn't safe for me to go through the stretching room because of my eyesight (and the fact that a fall due to being knocked down by other guests because I can't see well enough to get out of their way is likely to result in broken bones), and he shrugged and said, "Well, if it's not safe maybe you shouldn't do it," and walked away.

Nothing per se. But Disney is holding an unappealable ruling from October 19th that pretty much says Disney does not have to offer DAS or any similar program at all.
The next court, the 11th circuit, up ruled similarly (but stayed the ruling) and sent the case back the lower court for a retrial on a legal technicality. SCOTUS takes a dim view of government agencies expanding regulations beyond written law and has ruled as such.
When DAS becomes less of a problem for Disney to end the program for them to continue it Disney will end the program.
My personal belief is Disney's advanced DAS registration is a way to move things along in that regard. The waste rate on those 2 advance ride selections is very high. At some point they will have enough data to say DAS is a problem and DAS users are costing the company money. Those advance ride selections come from the pool of genie+ rides available to paying customers. I have zero faith in Disney. But I could also just be a cynic.

The few times I’ve used DAS I‘ve given my diagnosis because there really isn’t a good way to describe why waiting in a long line makes it difficult without adding context. Before I can actually get into details, they‘ve cut me off and told me, “that’s ok, you’re approved.”
We've used it twice. Both times we said a few years ago this happened and since then, DH has issues with that. Once it was like you, you're approved and the other CM asked two questions and then we got approved.

I know it would still be abused, but I wonder if Disney stopped the prechosen rides, how many would try? Frankly if we didn't get it for DH, we couldn't go. Knowing we have it ahead of time, gives us peace.

If we went with grandkids and didn't have it, we'd do a lot of people watching, while the kids went on rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter