Crohns and DAS = denied. MODERATOR NOTE: No diagnosis is automatically allowed or denied for DAS. DAS is issued based on needs, not diagnosis

This makes me so nervous. If they badger him or deny the pass for my husband (veteran with PTSD) I think he will want to cancel the trip. It’s hard enough with DAS and limiting to a few hours in the park. Without it, I don’t think we could do it at all :( I wonder if Disney will refund tickets if they deny DAS?

This makes me so nervous. If they badger him or deny the pass for my husband (veteran with PTSD) I think he will want to cancel the trip. It’s hard enough with DAS and limiting to a few hours in the park. Without it, I don’t think we could do it at all :( I wonder if Disney will refund tickets if they deny DAS?
Have him concentrate on being ready to answer the question, ‘What concerns do you have with waiting in the regular lines?’
If he has had experiences with specific lines that were problematic for him, what conditions in the lines were an issue for him. Also, prepare him to expect the CM to ask some questions for clarification. He may be asked what kinds of issues he has in lines and what kinds of things cause issues for him.
My daughter has used DAS since it started in 2013 and used the older GAC (Guest Assistance Card). We always get asked questions and don’t take it as badgering or accusing us of trying to get DAS without needs. If they asked no questions and just registered people for DAS on request, anyone could get it.

I feel for you on this. My husband has combat PTSD and it's been REALLY hard for him to handle a day in the parks lately. He doesn't have DAS for himself, because we have it for our son, but he absolutely WILL NOT get into a standby line with us anymore (my son can handle some lines just fine). The biggest issue nowadays is that the standby wait times are NOT accurate. They are sometimes shorter but more often lately, longer than advertised.

We had a bad situation in the line for Small World at DL, of all rides. It said 15 minutes. It ended up being 45 because I guess the ride had broken down earlier and TONS of people kept coming through the LL line and we didn't move forever. We were trapped in the middle of a switchback and my husband was spiraling out. There was no easy way for him to get out of the line either. He had to put on a podcast and stare at the ground to get through it.

Just last weekend, we used DAS for Webslingers and were in the loading chute when the ride broke down, but they didn't clear the queue or make an announcement or anything. So we were stuck standing in this warm, stuffy hallway for over 15 minutes. We eventually did jump the railings and leave, because we had no idea what was happening and they made no announcement or anything. It was very frustrating. This was on Sunday and as of yesterday, my husband was still "off" from that one experience. It triggered him badly.

My husband is okay with talking about his struggles in general, but he isn't good at explaining what happens to him in crowded lines very well, so I'm not sure how well it would go for him to get his own DAS. He tends to put a dry, comedic spin on things and would probably say something like "I try not to kill other guests" rather than "I spend the time in line paranoid that another guest will suddenly attack me, and I plan how I would fight back, and what move I would use to neutralize them." This is literally what goes through his head while in a crowd that he is in the middle of that he can't easily move away from. I feel like that explanation could get his annual pass revoked and have him put on a trespass list or something. So, he doesn't want to talk about what happens in his mind when he gets triggered. 😔 And it seems like the cast members are getting more invasive in their questioning lately. I am almost ready to write Disney an email about it, honestly.

For people with spouses who have PTSD, is it possible for the spouse without PTSD to go on and request DAS and then just have them bring in the DAS user for a photograph they way some of us do for our children?

For people with spouses who have PTSD, is it possible for the spouse without PTSD to go on and request DAS and then just have them bring in the DAS user for a photograph they way some of us do for our children?
No. It explains that adults must register for themselves unless they have a legal guardian- aka you would have to be the legal guardian of your husband, just like a person who has an adult disabled child would be the legal guardian of them.

I don't mean that you have to be their parent either. There are people married to disabled adults not capable of making medical/important life decisions independently due to their disability so there is a legal protection of some variety in which they are the person who speaks/acts/decides on behalf of their disabled spouse/sibling/relative, similar to how parents of disabled adults who require it are their legal guardian/proxy.

Adults have to request for themselves, BUT, the adult can say they prefer to have their spouse/partner speak for them and just come onto the call for the photo

When I told a local friend back then - she often came to the park in the evenings to catch up with me pre-reservations - she said: "Are they trying to get your head ripped off? That's not allowed!"
I saw a mom and kid trying to catch up two rows to dad, all in matching Argentina soccer jerseys in a 5 minute wait for Spaceship Earth. Words were flying, I thought she was about to get beaten up by Florida man, until like three other people got involved.

And that's on a walk-on Spaceship Earth!

I feel for you on this. My husband has combat PTSD and it's been REALLY hard for him to handle a day in the parks lately. He doesn't have DAS for himself, because we have it for our son, but he absolutely WILL NOT get into a standby line with us anymore (my son can handle some lines just fine). The biggest issue nowadays is that the standby wait times are NOT accurate. They are sometimes shorter but more often lately, longer than advertised.

We had a bad situation in the line for Small World at DL, of all rides. It said 15 minutes. It ended up being 45 because I guess the ride had broken down earlier and TONS of people kept coming through the LL line and we didn't move forever. We were trapped in the middle of a switchback and my husband was spiraling out. There was no easy way for him to get out of the line either. He had to put on a podcast and stare at the ground to get through it.

Just last weekend, we used DAS for Webslingers and were in the loading chute when the ride broke down, but they didn't clear the queue or make an announcement or anything. So we were stuck standing in this warm, stuffy hallway for over 15 minutes. We eventually did jump the railings and leave, because we had no idea what was happening and they made no announcement or anything. It was very frustrating. This was on Sunday and as of yesterday, my husband was still "off" from that one experience. It triggered him badly.

My husband is okay with talking about his struggles in general, but he isn't good at explaining what happens to him in crowded lines very well, so I'm not sure how well it would go for him to get his own DAS. He tends to put a dry, comedic spin on things and would probably say something like "I try not to kill other guests" rather than "I spend the time in line paranoid that another guest will suddenly attack me, and I plan how I would fight back, and what move I would use to neutralize them." This is literally what goes through his head while in a crowd that he is in the middle of that he can't easily move away from. I feel like that explanation could get his annual pass revoked and have him put on a trespass list or something. So, he doesn't want to talk about what happens in his mind when he gets triggered. 😔 And it seems like the cast members are getting more invasive in their questioning lately. I am almost ready to write Disney an email about it, honestly.
Thank you. Mine would definitely say something similar!

Adults have to request for themselves, BUT, the adult can say they prefer to have their spouse/partner speak for them and just come onto the call for the photo
My plan is that when the time comes, tell him what’s happening (DAS call), try to explain things to start if they will let me, then put him on. It’s not that he won’t answer questions, but if they get really rude about it or suggest he’s just trying a tic tok trend like what happened to OP, he’d probably want to cancel the trip. Just doing the DAS call is going to put him on edge.

I will say that when we went before, I spoke to the CM at MK guest services. He was standing off to the side with the kids. I said he’s a veteran with PTSD and we’d like to apply for DAS” and they cut me off, said “no problem, we just need to take his picture” and asked nothing else. It was easy. So in park is the backup plan but the pre selections would be helpful since we are likely to only spend 3-5 hours in the park each time.

I think writing it out ahead of time (the initial request and reasons) could help. He could dictate it to someone who could type it if it's easier to talk it than sit down in front of the computer. Then bring someone with him like yourself when he goes so he has support.

I know one person suggested adult diapers, but you can also get incontinence underpants. Modibodi makes some great ones here in the UK, and I'm sure there are other brands. They feel like normal underpants just a bit thicker and are much more discreet and comfortable. Highly recommended from a fellow Crohn's person. :)

I have never tried to do the pre-registration. I only use DAS on flareup days, and some days don't need it at all or I'll only use it if the line is particularly long and I'm afraid it'll be an issue (3+ hours is just asking for trouble!). So the advance selections feel like I'm taking more than I need, if that makes sense. Never had an issue getting approved in person. Good luck, OP!

Also what if the person needs the use of a scooter too? How is one suppose to leave and get back to your party with a scooter. Perhaps if there was a enter through the exit plan, but then you'd have to wait until your party got that far.
I didn't think you could bring a scooter into a line, they park with strollers?

To be clear, LaneJudy is talking about World.

Disneyland is different, and most queues are not scooter friendly
This is true at Disneyland Park due to when attractions were built, but since Disney California Adventure was built much later, most if not all queues are ADA compatible and you can take ECVs and wheelchairs through them.

This is true at Disneyland Park due to when attractions were built, but since Disney California Adventure was built much later, most if not all queues are ADA compatible and you can take ECVs and wheelchairs through them.
That's why I said Disneyland, not the entire Disneyland California Resort.

This is my concern also. DH didn't come on our last trip in part because he was worried he would "ruin" it for the rest of us. Then I found out about DAS, and it gave me hope. If he's given the 3rd degree over his conditions, then it won't be a happy day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter