Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think non-local demand is lower than expected, but local demand is very high-as evidenced by the avail calendar.

It might be lower than expected from what they thought on May 28th when they announced the reopening. But I’m sure its not lower than expected from when they opened the parks up in the middle of a spike in cases. They emailed resort reservation guests basically enticing them to cancel and rebook for a later time. They don’t want the parks to be filled to capacity every day, at least not until they get into a sweet spot where enforcement and compliance are both settled in for a few weeks. If every park were filled to capacity, it would create bigger issues for the CMs and the guests.

Just because the demand is from locals doesn’t mean theres no demand. Giving APs 30% off of merch for a month is giving them added revenue because there are quite a few people on here that said they spent a ton of money on merch that they wouldn’t otherwise with the normal discount.

They’re not making the amount of money they were prior to shutdown, but did people expect they would?

Pretty annoying for people staying there ... The parks close early but the TS at your resort is closed so :confused3
Liquid dinner at Banana Cabana it is! :drinking1

Also, those lists keep changing so I wouldn't be surprised if Sebastian's does open. If it doesn't, there is always the option to take the short walk to Riviera for Bar Riva or Topolino's to add additional choices with a server bringing your food.

I think non-local demand is lower than expected, but local demand is very high-as evidenced by the avail calendar.

I think this is what’s going on too, and with a higher percentage of park go-ers than normal holding APs, lots of restaurants closed in particular the more expensive ones, people spending less time in the parks (so less money), way less captive audience kind of guests than normal, I wonder if spending is where they wanted it.

My gut says no given what they’ve done to entice people to spend more (resorts and merch) right now. And at the end of the day, that’s really what counts with demand, it’s the $$$, not how many AP holders are willing to come.

CoP isnt going to close. They’ll update it. The parks aren’t a museum, but there are certain things with attachments to Walt that you just dont replace.

Figment will also get treatment in the future. Its probably much cheaper to update the ride again than make a whole new attraction like Inside Out

Those discounts are geared towards locals though. If they were worried about the demand country wide then these deals would be for everyone. Just because all 4 parks aren’t hitting capacity doesn’t necessarily mean its a bad thing.

If they wanted to create artificial demand, they’d take away even more from the other 2 buckets at the non DHS parks to make it look like they’re hitting “capacity”.
Even the AP discounts aren't great discounts. It is just that Disney has trained us to think they are great discounts. In almost all circumstances you would be paying more for the same room this year than you would have last year when you book with the 40% discount. I paid $1515 for my five night stay at Yacht Club last year in August. I booked a discount (I think it was a Sun & Fun) that got me 35% off the room. If the Yacht was open for the same trip this year going by 40% off rack rate that trip would cost me $1656 if I had an AP. That is $151 more than I paid last year. That isn't really a great discount. Plus, I can't even get that discount anywhere because I am not a pass holder.

CoP isnt going to close. They’ll update it. The parks aren’t a museum, but there are certain things with attachments to Walt that you just dont replace.

Figment will also get treatment in the future. Its probably much cheaper to update the ride again than make a whole new attraction like Inside Out
I'd have to agree. Carousel might not draw the crowds anymore, and it definitely needs a refurb/update, but I think the fact that it's the only attraction at WDW that Walt himself worked on makes it less likely to be replaced.

Demand is still demand no matter where it comes from. Just because a good chunk of people in the parks are APs doesn’t mean its an illusion. People are going down on vacation from out of state while Florida is a hotspot, and in the dead heat of the summer. It’s only going to get busier when the cases lower and when we get to the fall when its at least a little “cooler”. July and August has become a “slow” season for Disney over the past few years, add in the factors we’re living through and it makes sense why there is more demand from locals. But that doesn’t mean its going to stay that way
For whatever reason, disney seems to want to limit the number of APs in the parks - otherwise why bother with the buckets at all? Presumably they've done the numbers and non-resort AP visitors generate the least cash for them???

I'd have to agree. Carousel might not draw the crowds anymore, and it definitely needs a refurb/update, but I think the fact that it's the only attraction at WDW that Walt himself worked on makes it less likely to be replaced.

yeah, personally I think COP and the version of the Enchanted Tiki Room that is at Disneyland I think should somehow be protected as historic - and can be refurbed, etc but should "exist" in some form, somewhere forever

I could see them closing COP temprorily or reducing show times if the crowds really aren't there and it is largely being played to empty theaters though

yeah, personally I think COP and the version of the Enchanted Tiki Room that is at Disneyland I think should somehow be protected as historic - and can be refurbed, etc but should "exist" in some form, somewhere forever

I could see them closing COP temprorily or reducing show times if the crowds really aren't there and it is largely being played to empty theaters though

I have never been in an empty CoP, but we always travel during some holiday or other.

I've never gone on CoP and I've been going since early 80's! :rotfl:

Still, I don't see them touching it.

My only "sacred" rides are Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan and People Mover.

Also why do we think they would even cut rides? Money? I assumed Primeval Whirl wasn't opening because it was pretty much closed before Covid. Rivers of Light just never seemed to take off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter