Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you had a good visit. I wonder how the differences between U.S. Disney parks and DLP in their Covid procedures will translate to issues in operation. There is a very stark difference in especially their mask requirements (only people age 11+) wear in DLP, and several European countries are seeing new spikes in cases presumably due to their lax mask usage.
Definitely one of the reasons why I am happy we went now in the 2nd week. I wouldn't be surprised if DLP will close down like Hong Kong when cases started to rise even more. There were conditions under which businesses could reopen, when those conditions change again, we have to go back. I think Europe is more pragmatic than the US, and mask wearing is not a political issue. People here are stupid without political undertones ;-)

That they feel confident enough to announce the return of two popular shows a month in advance, I hope is a good sign. But we will have to see what is going to happen.

We do not feel we have to go back asap, we did discuss a next visit due to the announcement of the shows, but we will wait till September when schools are back in session and go during the week. Fingers crossed the park is still open!

Definitely one of the reasons why I am happy we went now in the 2nd week. I wouldn't be surprised if DLP will close down like Hong Kong when cases started to rise even more. There were conditions under which businesses could reopen, when those conditions change again, we have to go back. I think Europe is more pragmatic than the US, and mask wearing is not a political issue. People here are stupid without political undertones ;-)

That they feel confident enough to announce the return of two popular shows a month in advance, I hope is a good sign. But we will have to see what is going to happen.

We do not feel we have to go back asap, we did discuss a next visit due to the announcement of the shows, but we will wait till September when schools are back in session and go during the week. Fingers crossed the park is still open!
Best of luck that it will be open, and it's very helpful to have someone from another country who can relay their perspectives on other theme parks. My family is hoping for a similar scenario here in Florida, hoping that the parks will still be open late August and we can perhaps go when older kids are back in school (if that happens, who knows at this point).

exactly, there's other places you can go to discuss numbers

Back when Florida was hitting highs after highs prior to the reopening the daily numbers made sense for this thread topic, but now that the parks are reopen, the daily numbers have little to no impact on the Daily operations since Disney likely won’t shut its doors back down, especially since Florida is looking like they’re inching closer to consistent down trends. Sorry, but passive aggressive laughing emoji reactions because you don’t like what I have to say isn’t going to change Disney’s mind.

All the daily numbers do is create arguments and excess moderation because of the inability to discuss the numbers in a civil manner. If the numbers are bad, people will argue that they could be worse. If the numbers are encouraging, people will say that they’re not. And if the daily numbers don’t impact the daily operations, then I think the discussion is better suited for the community boards.

just my opinion, I’m sure others will disagree

I was at epcot on Thursday and it didn't have the machine at the front, i believe they do at international gateway
I am so confused, I would have bet money we went through a machine at Epcot. We all had bags and just walked through, nobody searched them.

This weekend Disneyland Paris announced the return dates for the summer shows (no new end date for the season), Lion King will stay in the Chapparel Theater from the 15th of August, Jungle Book Jive moves from the Park to the Studios and will take place in the Stuntshow theater (rumors are this show is now definitely closing for good). Jungle Book Jive will use Lineberty to reserve tickets, like they do for characters in the Studios. They will start as of the 22nd of August.

Also since this weekend Disneyland Paris has started with Calvacades, Rapunzel in a carriage, Fab Five in a Main Street Vehicle, and they use the tricycles & and an old Stars & Cars float (Stitch) to drive characters around.

I was in the park today and yesterday and had amazing days. Really happy to be back, but now I realized how much time we spend waiting for shows/parades/characters, that's the big appeal of the park for us. Rides are secondary, we did some rides we hadn't done for a long time and used our Photopass card to the max. Disneyland Paris doesn't have a lot of opportunity normally, but added a lot (plus magic shots they only started testing last summer), so let's hope they see how the public reacts to this. The Photopass comes for free with the most expensive AP, most guests waiting for pictures were AP holders, what we saw. Fingers crossed.

DLP did a great job with creating character moments. With some characters it was still possible to have some interaction. However, your mask muffles your words, so we had to repeat what we were saying ;-) It was nice to have a group picture with Mickey, Pluto & Goofy, or see Aurora & Phillip on the balcony of Sleeping Beauty's castle, Snow White at her wishing well, etc. All face characters also social distanced. And apparently they had taken the time to prepare. When we were meeting Anna & Elsa, in front of us was a family with a child, and to get Anna & Elsa in the frame with a child they had a different place to stand then we (2 adults) took a selfie with them.

Overall, DLP did everything they could, but they need more CMs on Main Street and around the castle to address people who take quick pictures without their masks. We had a little incident in the steam train, the woman in front of us kept her mask off. At one station, we asked discretely if the station CM could approach this woman, his reply 'I am not the police'. I was too shocked to come back with something clever. I left a note at Guest Services, the CM there assured me that it was procedure that CMs should approach guests when they see people without masks.
We did see some people getting informed by CMs, but not enough. Also seen some stupid people on Instagram boasting about going maskless for a second to take the perfect Gram-picuture, who immediately get flooded by remarks from angry Disneyfans. Some CMs on Instagram are trying to get these people banned from DLP, by reporting back to DLP.

Good visit, we were terribly lucky with the weather, it was nice and sunny, some clouds. But also some wind! Keeping the temperature low and the mask wearing bearable.

You get used to the mask, I think and seeing (almost) everyone wearing it helps. And also taking breaks to eat or drink. We wore it roughly from 8 - 10 then a snack, from 10 - 12 then lunch, from 12 - 2, ice cream, from 2 to 4, drinks, 4 to 6, dinner etc. Plus bathroom breaks.

For more detailed on what I experienced at DLP: https://www.disboards.com/threads/re-opening-reports-dlp-and-changes.3807509/page-2#post-62169397.

I’m still here at Disneyland Paris and I’m a little surprised at what you said about masks as I thought compliance was really high as in near 100% - yes I did see a few under the chin but they tended to be people sitting away from anyone as they don’t have relaxation zones. There was one time mine slipped a little and the cast member was straight there reminding me.

I think they’ve done a fantastic job tbf to make things as magical as possible - I thought this weekend was busier than I expected but the atmosphere was great.

Ps to the person who said about lax mask usage being a reason for a spike - I can’t disagree more for many reasons - I feel the main reason is due to Europe’s decision to open up the schengen area borders but hues what’ Europe willNBe quick to deal with and contain these spikes! There is a robust track and trace system in every country virtually and capacity to mass test - I think Europe as a whole have handled a rubbish situation really well in the end and I have faith they will continue to do so

I’m still here at Disneyland Paris and I’m a little surprised at what you said about masks as I thought compliance was really high as in near 100% - yes I did see a few under the chin but they tended to be people sitting away from anyone as they don’t have relaxation zones. There was one time mine slipped a little and the cast member was straight there reminding me.

I think they’ve done a fantastic job tbf to make things as magical as possible - I thought this weekend was busier than I expected but the atmosphere was great.

Yeah, they could have created a relaxation zone in Frontierlandnear the Cowboy Cook Out, near the shop/food carts of Indiana Jones etc.
It was worse on Sunday than on Saturday, I think. But that could also be that we entered Disneyland Park at 11:30 on Saturday, and at 8:30 on Sunday. During the day there were more CMs to be found at the hub. During EMH, we saw more people taking off their masks on Main Street, take a quick picture and then moved on. The only CMs there were the ones at the hub, which were all Photopass CMs + handler. On Saturday, when we were at the back of the castle to See Aurora and Phillip, the only CM we saw around, was the character handler and she stayed within the castle. Around the Sword in the Stone etc. was no one. I think overall compliance is really high, but there is room for improvement to adhere to the rules.

And we had a blast, and it felt as magical as it always was, only in a different way. I've never seen so many characters on one day, and there was still interaction possible. :) Yes, definitely busy, if you can avoid the weekend.

I was also surprised there was no Photopass next to the loading area of the Riverboat, between the River Boat and the Shooting Gallery. With Big Thunder Mountain in the back, it is a perfect place for a photo opportunity, with or without magic shot.

Just curious since WDW has been open a few weeks now. Has there been any confirmed exposures from people that have gone? I know Florida has a bunch of cases and are bound to have someone bring it with them. Or is the news just not going to report on it, even if it did happen.

Just curious since WDW has been open a few weeks now. Has there been any confirmed exposures from people that have gone? I know Florida has a bunch of cases and are bound to have someone bring it with them. Or is the news just not going to report on it, even if it did happen.

Media would certainly report on it. How would they benefit from not reporting on it? Jobs depend on clicks and views, not having a big story like Disney guests catching the virus because they don’t want to make Disney look bad would cost jobs. That being said, it’s still about a week too early to see initial opening results.

I am so confused, I would have bet money we went through a machine at Epcot. We all had bags and just walked through, nobody searched them.

The procedure has changed everywhere, but not all gates have the new machines. If it was the front of Epcot, you went through the streamlined process with the old equipment!

There won't be a way to prove someone got it at WDW. FL doesn't do/have contact tracing. So you'll have someone say they tested positive, and they were at WDW, but it doesn't prove they got it in the parks (could have gotten in airport, gas station, etc).

I just watched an Epcot walk through from past few days on YouTube by 4K WDW and I dont know, Epcot still looked gorgeous to me, even with the walls. I could hear the wonderful Future World soundtrack nice and loud...

Man, I just want to go back! :(

I don’t disagree - theme parks are vital to FL’s economy. But this argument could be made for nearly every industry. Nearly every person’s job is essential to their livelihood. Everything is “essential” to the people working there. But that’s not what defines an essential business, unfortunately.
But it is essential to the Florida economy, it trickles all the way down the supply chain, and has a massive effect on taxes coming in. Have you ever looked at an itimized bill for your resort room? Those taxes go to help pay for all kinds of things, including unemployment. Without a state income tax they need those taxes rolling in from the tourist industry to help pay for stuff. It's not even just about people having jobs, it's about infrastructure support, and making sure they actually have funds to pay people if they do find themselves unemployed.

Media would certainly report on it. How would they benefit from not reporting on it? Jobs depend on clicks and views, not having a big story like Disney guests catching the virus because they don’t want to make Disney look bad would cost jobs. That being said, it’s still about a week too early to see initial opening results.
While it can take anywhere from 2-14 days for people to show symptoms, the average is around 5 days, so it is possible that anyone who went the first week the parks were open could already be sick. Of course who knows if anyone will admit publicly to it, in fear of being told "I told you so!" about going to Disney in the first place during a pandemic. I have several friends who went opening week, none of them are sick (yet) thankfully, hopefully the same can be said for everyone else who went.

I'm interested to see how this plays out in practice.
Valves are pretty obvious, but mesh-like material I could see being a gray area. Some things are clearly mesh (and im sure people have tried to get away with some wild things), some fabrics are just lighter and I wonder if they may be confused as being mesh-like? It will be interesting to see if this impacts multi-layer chiffon masks since that is a lighter fabric and popular for masks but not actually a mesh.

**Not intending to start a which fabrics work best discussion - just curious how enforcement on this one will go. Hopefully in just a common sense is this a functioning mask way ;)

I'm interested to see how this plays out in practice.
Valves are pretty obvious, but mesh-like material I could see being a gray area. Some things are clearly mesh (and im sure people have tried to get away with some wild things), some fabrics are just lighter and I wonder if they may be confused as being mesh-like? It will be interesting to see if this impacts multi-layer chiffon masks since that is a lighter fabric and popular for masks but not actually a mesh.

**Not intending to start a which fabrics work best discussion - just curious how enforcement on this one will go. Hopefully in just a common sense is this a functioning mask way ;)

I think Disney will be starting to walk a fine line if they try to get into actual materials-outside of obvious mesh.
I know people who have sewn filters into their chiffon masks.
You can't see it and I certainly wouldn't allow anyone to handle my mask to check!

They will need to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter