Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CastAStone This is from the article. Don’t think it’s a linkable source here..

“In a new report from Reuters, it’s estimated that the Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products division will report a $2 billion loss for the latest quarter following a $1 billion loss in the previous quarter. The company’s third quarter runs from April through June. With a meager May reopening for Disney Springs, followed by the start of limited DVC resort reopenings in late June, it’s believed the company may report little to no revenue, given that the parks themselves didn’t begin official phased reopenings until July 11.
Thank you. An estimate! That makes more sense. I think it's pretty negative, but we'll see I guess.

@CastAStone This is from the article. Don’t think it’s a linkable source here..

“In a new report from Reuters, it’s estimated that the Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products division will report a $2 billion loss for the latest quarter following a $1 billion loss in the previous quarter. The company’s third quarter runs from April through June. With a meager May reopening for Disney Springs, followed by the start of limited DVC resort reopenings in late June, it’s believed the company may report little to no revenue, given that the parks themselves didn’t begin official phased reopenings until July 11.
By the way, whoever wrote that quote saying PEP lost $1bn in the previous quarter shows a financial illiteracy at a level where they just shouldn't cover this at all. PEP made $639 million that quarter. I know this because Disney published it in their press release. They made $1 billion less than they expected to because they lost 2 weeks of revenue, had to pay cast at full rates for those 2 weeks, had to write off a zillion dollars in food and Flower and Garden merch, and wasted a ton of money on advertising and other things for parks that wound up closed. A lot of those problems are non-repeating in Q3.

*sighs*

Last edited:
By the way, whoever wrote that quote saying PEP lost $1bn in the previous quarter shows a financial illiteracy at a level where they just shouldn't cover this at all. PEP made $639 million that quarter. I know this because Disney published it in their press release. They made $1 billion less than they expected to because they lost 2 weeks of revenue, had to pay cast at full rates for those 2 weeks, had to write off a zillion dollars in food and Flower and Garden merch, and wasted a ton of money on advertising and other things for parks that wound up closed. A lot of those problems are non-repeating in Q3.

*sighs*
It’s probably the same person who said Disney World was losing $30M per day by being closed.

Where did you read that? If that's a real number leaked ahead of an earnings report someone is definitely going to prison. It's hard to go to jail for a white collar crime but that's one that's about a 100% lock.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I first read it :)
"That is big time illegal, a HUGE no no if true" I said to myself.

They really should just shut rides down one at a time, mentioning they’re permanently closed, to reap the profits of gift shop merchandise selling out.

Fix them with profits and reopen as if nothing ever happened.

(disclaimer: I’m not serious...)
Please don't give them any ideas lol.

We should keep a list.
I know mechanical things can be expected to break from time to time, it happens but Disney just seems way above the average as of late.
Well it's at least 2 sinking boats in 2020 so far right? I don't recall any other time that ride vehicles have been overcome with water...2 in a span of a couple open months seems a little scary.

Normally it was only after 4PM anyways. My trick is always go to the closest resort from the park. If at MK walk to contemporary. At Epcot go to Beach Club. At DHS Skyliner to CBR or Pop. AK go to AKL or Uber.
We've also hopped a SSR bus and walk over from Congress Park.

We should keep a list.
I know mechanical things can be expected to break from time to time, it happens but Disney just seems way above the average as of late.
It’s like when you own a house and every older appliance breaks over the course of a few months. I’m sure all the rides need constant maintenance as they age and the three months of non use didn’t help the situation.

Also - I know someone else mentioned this a few pages back - these rides weren't made to sit dormant for months on end.

Just got off the phone with Disney and the CM informed me that buses are no longer running from the parks to Disney Springs. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is accurate? If so, that’ a huge inconvenience to have to return to the resort and then wait for another bus...

I left AK around 2 pm on Sunday and wanted to go to Disney Springs. We took a but to Animal Kingdom Lodge and then waited almost an hour for a Disney Springs bus to come. It was so frustrating. In hindsight, I should have taken a bus over to Saratoga Springs and walked to DS from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter