Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me but I may be missing something. PCD said he was with 33 friends and couldn’t say much else. Not being a trouble maker, but how is that smug?

There are some vloggers, one in particular, who I purposely don’t watch because the vlogs always seem to be a complaint. I thought PCD was being as honest as possible,unless of course I’m missing something.

Forgive me but I may be missing something. PCD said he was with 33 friends and couldn’t say much else. Not being a trouble maker, but how is that smug?

There are some vloggers, one in particular, who I purposely don’t watch because the vlogs always seem to be a complaint. I thought PCD was being as honest as possible,unless of course I’m missing something.

I think it’s because yesterday he posted a clickbaity teaser on instagram to get you to watch his upcoming video. The post led some to believe hopping was returning in some fashion. He was not transparent about it in his insta post and was purposely vague to get the YouTube views. Just the typical influencer/vlogger clickbait shenanigans.

I think it’s because yesterday he posted a clickbaity teaser on instagram to get you to watch his upcoming video. The post led some to believe hopping was returning in some fashion. He was not transparent about it in his insta post and was purposely vague to get the YouTube views.

I get it.

But there are forgivable and unforgivable things in life. For me, no one else, I'd file this under forgivable. :) I'll still watch videos, he's enjoyable.

I think it’s because yesterday he posted a clickbaity teaser on instagram to get you to watch his upcoming video. The post led some to believe hopping was returning in some fashion. He was not transparent about it in his insta post and was purposely vague to get the YouTube views. Just the typical influencer/vlogger clickbait shenanigans.

Seems like it was a bit of a tease/humble brag

To me though, with all the other junk on the internet (let along going on in the world at large) seems not something worth getting too upset about

I was trying to joke about it, hence the laugh smiley.

I get it.

But there are forgivable and unforgivable things in life. For me, no one else, I'd file this under forgivable. :)

Oh, it doesn’t really bother me - I was just explaining why it may rub people the wrong way. It just gets a little annoying at times, I think.

Last year I was 100% influenced to book a last minute Disney cruise just 20 days in advance because a Disney instagrsmmer was hosted & it looked like so much fun (and it was!) So I have definitely been influenced 🤣

So Disney is apparently reaching out to CPs from Spring 2020 (the ones who had their programs abruptly cut short due to the shutdown) and offering them the opportunity to "redeem" any complimentary park tickets they earned. Some of these participants have been reporting this on social media, and I see certain sites are starting to pick this up.

For those unfamiliar with how this works, Disney CPs (or any temporary hire) receive 3 free PH tickets for working 150 hours and more based on how much time they work during their program (3 for 150 hours, 3 more once you've reached 300, and the final 3 once you've reached 600 I think). Anyways, these generally expire two years after they're issued but can only be used if you're still an active employee of TWDC (so it you leave the Company, you can't use the tickets, but if you come back within two years, the tickets "reactivate" and you have until that two-year mark to use them). This has always been the policy, but it looks like Disney is offering these former CPs the opportunity to "redeem" those tickets, even though they are not currently employed by TWDC. They have until next fall to use them. This has never happened in the history of TWDC (ex-employees being allowed to still use any park admission benefits). Sure, certain folks who retire with the Company or reach the very top executive levels might keep their benefits after they leave, but hourly CPs or even CMs? Never happened.

While this is undoubtedly an attempt at a make-good for these CPs, it's also Disney clearly trying to kill two birds with one stone. They want to "make things right" with these kids (most of whom happen to be fans of the parks) and they also need to fill their parks. When I see things like this, it reminds me -- high wait times or not -- that visitation is not where they want it/need it to be. Not enough out-of-state Guests, not enough week-long visitors, not enough Disney Resort Guests, and not enough Guests visiting the parks on weekdays. When speculating about increasing capacity, bringing back entertainment, opening more restaurants and shops, keep this in mind.

After I saw someone say that they could see info on the dining plans, I went in to MDE and just put in our dates at Easter that we are going and picked a random resort. The dining plan info did pop up, but the page disappeared after a second or so and continued on to the final payout page.
View attachment 528632
I wouldn’t read too much into it. I mean Disney IT is among one of the most technological and advanced IT departments in the entire world and rarely, if ever, have any issues with their websites or apps. :rolleyes1

I get it.

But there are forgivable and unforgivable things in life. For me, no one else, I'd file this under forgivable. :) I'll still watch videos, he's enjoyable.
Absolutely forgivable. I follow sooo many wdw pages and bloggers that one less was probably needed!

So Disney is apparently reaching out to CPs from Spring 2020 (the ones who had their programs abruptly cut short due to the shutdown) and offering them the opportunity to "redeem" any complimentary park tickets they earned. Some of these participants have been reporting this on social media, and I see certain sites are starting to pick this up.

For those unfamiliar with how this works, Disney CPs (or any temporary hire) receive 3 free PH tickets for working 150 hours and more based on how much time they work during their program (3 for 150 hours, 3 more once you've reached 300, and the final 3 once you've reached 600 I think). Anyways, these generally expire two years after they're issued but can only be used if you're still an active employee of TWDC (so it you leave the Company, you can't use the tickets, but if you come back within two years, the tickets "reactivate" and you have until that two-year mark to use them). This has always been the policy, but it looks like Disney is offering these former CPs the opportunity to "redeem" those tickets, even though they are not currently employed by TWDC. They have until next fall to use them. This has never happened in the history of TWDC (ex-employees being allowed to still use any park admission benefits). Sure, certain folks who retire with the Company or reach the very top executive levels might keep their benefits after they leave, but hourly CPs or even CMs? Never happened.

While this is undoubtedly an attempt at a make-good for these CPs, it's also Disney clearly trying to kill two birds with one stone. They want to "make things right" with these kids (most of whom happen to be fans of the parks) and they also need to fill their parks. When I see things like this, it reminds me -- high wait times or not -- that visitation is not where they want it/need it to be. Not enough out-of-state Guests, not enough week-long visitors, not enough Disney Resort Guests, and not enough Guests visiting the parks on weekdays. When speculating about increasing capacity, bringing back entertainment, opening more restaurants and shops, keep this in mind.

I can see that, but what about the high wait times now? The parks are waaaay more crowded than just a few weeks ago.

I mean, Disney could just be doing something decent for them, right? 😀 Unprecedented times and all that...

Obviously I know they are still having issues filling resorts and will for some time, but things could still be slowly improving.

Seems like it was a bit of a tease/humble brag

To me though, with all the other junk on the internet (let along going on in the world at large) seems not something worth getting too upset about

No, it’s definitely not something to get upset about, nothing disney does on the guest experience side is worth getting upset over, if they change something you don’t like, it’s still up to the individual to make a decision on whether it’s worth it to you to go or not.

I think it’s the way this was presented that has people irked. This isn’t taking a picture on IG eating a hotdog in front of a closed Casey’s and then in the video you say you brought the hotdog in from the speedway down the street. You’re a go-to source of the going’s on inside the parks for Disney fans that may not be on Disney forums getting their news. So trolling the community the way he did, whether or not park hopping was realistically coming back or not is wrong. Because this is really starting to get off topic now that the truth is out, this will be it from me

I can see that, but what about the high wait times now? The parks are waaaay more crowded than just a few weeks ago.

I mean, Disney could just be doing something decent for them, right? 😀 Unprecedented times and all that...

Obviously I know they are still having issues filling resorts and will for some time, but things could still be slowly improving.
To a certain extent, yes, things are improving, especially in the parks. There are clearly more people coming in from out of town (even if they're driving). They've clearly gotten much smarter in figuring out the right "mix" of reservation spots (allocating more to APs and not leaving so many unused spots for Resort Guests, for example). I think we'll continue to see in-park offerings drip back and I believe both CSR and AoA will open as expected. Are they where they want to be? As far I can tell, they're not there yet, especially with the resorts. They had told some CMs not to expect their Main Entrance Passes to get back into the parks for most of remainder of the year. That lasted about a week. And now, they're offering free tickets to former CPs. Up to this point, their communication with those CPs has (for obvious reasons) been basically silent.

One of the genius parts of the CP is that they essentially get most of the money they pay these employees right back. They get their housing payments and they get any money they spend in the parks (and because some CPs and basically all IPs don't have cars, most of their free time in spent in the parks due to Disney's free transportation). So while I applaud this as a really nice gesture, I also think they're trying to bring back another affinity group. And by the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with it (I think it's a creative solution where both parties "win"), but I just worry people (not necessarily here) are planning trips within the next few months with this idea that everything is coming back super soon. I'm not sure about that. We may get some more resort reopening dates for early next year (or maybe even for November or December). We may see some shops and restaurants in the parks come back for weekends and a show here or there, but it won't be sweeping. Then again, I could also be just a Debbie Downer, but none the less, I think it's very nice gesture and it's been positively received by these individuals (who I'd argue were amongst the first people in the U.S. really at the brunt of the economic toll this has taken on so many of us).

Flip side - totally guessing- is that they see the parks picking up and know offering this now is easier to do as a peace offering vs offering it later when demand is back up and capacity is an issue. Maybe?

Flip side - totally guessing- is that they see the parks picking up and know offering this now is easier to do as a peace offering vs offering it later when demand is back up and capacity is an issue. Maybe?
There could also be a legal/employment benefit grey area seeing as these CPs did not leave of their own accord and they “earned” these perks by working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter