Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flip side - totally guessing- is that they see the parks picking up and know offering this now is easier to do as a peace offering vs offering it later when demand is back up and capacity is an issue. Maybe?
There could also be a legal/employment benefit grey area seeing as these CPs did not leave of their own accord and they “earned” these perks by working.
It's just a perk, so there's no legal obligation. And theoretically if they joined TWDC in another capacity within the next two years (for example, if they got an internship at ESPN or went seasonal at their local Disney Store), those tickets would "reactivate." To be fair to Disney, there's no reason they "had" to do this. More to the point, many of these individuals have already indicated their desire in writing to return as CPs when that's an option again (and Disney has made clear that they'll be amending certain requirements to ensure they can). I think if they felt they "had" to do this, they would've done it back in June/July for the reopening, but looking at this next to what they're doing with CM blackouts, they seem to be really trying to tap into this pool to fill unfilled spots.

So Disney is apparently reaching out to CPs from Spring 2020 (the ones who had their programs abruptly cut short due to the shutdown) and offering them the opportunity to "redeem" any complimentary park tickets they earned. Some of these participants have been reporting this on social media, and I see certain sites are starting to pick this up.

For those unfamiliar with how this works, Disney CPs (or any temporary hire) receive 3 free PH tickets for working 150 hours and more based on how much time they work during their program (3 for 150 hours, 3 more once you've reached 300, and the final 3 once you've reached 600 I think). Anyways, these generally expire two years after they're issued but can only be used if you're still an active employee of TWDC (so it you leave the Company, you can't use the tickets, but if you come back within two years, the tickets "reactivate" and you have until that two-year mark to use them). This has always been the policy, but it looks like Disney is offering these former CPs the opportunity to "redeem" those tickets, even though they are not currently employed by TWDC. They have until next fall to use them. This has never happened in the history of TWDC (ex-employees being allowed to still use any park admission benefits). Sure, certain folks who retire with the Company or reach the very top executive levels might keep their benefits after they leave, but hourly CPs or even CMs? Never happened.

While this is undoubtedly an attempt at a make-good for these CPs, it's also Disney clearly trying to kill two birds with one stone. They want to "make things right" with these kids (most of whom happen to be fans of the parks) and they also need to fill their parks. When I see things like this, it reminds me -- high wait times or not -- that visitation is not where they want it/need it to be. Not enough out-of-state Guests, not enough week-long visitors, not enough Disney Resort Guests, and not enough Guests visiting the parks on weekdays. When speculating about increasing capacity, bringing back entertainment, opening more restaurants and shops, keep this in mind.
What next? Paying CMs to visit to make the parks look busy?!

It's just a perk, so there's no legal obligation. And theoretically if they joined TWDC in another capacity within the next two years (for example, if they got an internship at ESPN or went seasonal at their local Disney Store), those tickets would "reactivate." To be fair to Disney, there's no reason they "had" to do this. More to the point, many of these individuals have already indicated their desire in writing to return as CPs when that's an option again (and Disney has made clear that they'll be amending certain requirements to ensure they can). I think if they felt they "had" to do this, they would've done it back in June/July for the reopening, but looking at this next to what they're doing with CM blackouts, they seem to be really trying to tap into this pool to fill unfilled spots.
Yeah im surprised they're actually doing this, Disney didn't really need to other than to have more people capable of visiting
Another tidbit of cm info, this Sunday they go to $14 an hour

I'm not sure they need CP's in the park to make it look busy. It already looks busy. So much so that we're debating our trip.
Like @andyman8 explained, it might look busy but Disney might still not be meeting their capacity.
I can tell you without a doubt it is obviously busier than July and August but it's still very doable if you rope drop and take advantage of that last hour

I agree overall this is a positive and good for TWDC to reach out to them, etc

A glass half empty view would indicated this is another sign Disney recognizes they are no where close to bringing the CP back ... If there was good chance they could be brought back within 6 months they probably wouldn't bother doing this

Yesterday in Epcot, we wanted fish and chips but it as closed. Maybe it is just a weekend thing? Also the biggest annoyance (besides the oppressive heat) has been transportation. It should not be impossible to rope drop when staying onsite. Seems like something they have the resources to fix- run more boats/busses or bring back Minnie Vans, which I would happily pay for.

I'm not sure they need CP's in the park to make it look busy. It already looks busy. So much so that we're debating our trip.

They need people that will also spend money in the park. Many AP's don't spend much they have it down to a science almost on how to go and not spend too much. CP's in the past have been known to spend alot more.

This could potentially be about filling resorts too. Would be interesting if they ended up offering the cancelled CPs their resort room discount (maybe not the full discount) back too for a period of time.

Interesting thoughts the last few pages. IMO if Disney isn't happy with their resort occupancy they need to offer a perk or two to guests staying on site. EMH, a FP, SOMETHING. Right now it seems like there is no benefit whatsoever as even the transportation options aren't great or helpful.

This could potentially be about filling resorts too. Would be interesting if they ended up offering the cancelled CPs their resort room discount (maybe not the full discount) back too for a period of time.

Can't imagine that most of them would be able to afford staying onsite since mostly only deluxe options are open... maybe they're thinking that their families would join them?

Interesting thoughts the last few pages. IMO if Disney isn't happy with their resort occupancy they need to offer a perk or two to guests staying on site. EMH, a FP, SOMETHING. Right now it seems like there is no benefit whatsoever as even the transportation options aren't great or helpful.

even just opening up more dining or extending the resort area dining hours - I've been hearing lots of reports from people about food options being scarce. That's kind of a bummer on vacation - especially one where (unless it's just my family) food is everywhere all the time.

One thing I have found that is having me second guess going to the park are no trams. Walking from the far back of any of the parking lots across all that asphalt in the heat is outrageous. Not to mention, walking all day in the park and then having to walk all the way to the car. I know that seems petty but I def canceled a park pass last week morning of because we woke up later than expected and knew we would be at the back of the parking lot.

Have we heard any rumblings about trams running again?

Yep. Like guaranteed park reservations as long as you make them X days out, don’t include DVC & the capacity should not be an issue. Then shift the leftover spots to other buckets.

One thing I have found that is having me second guess going to the park are no trams. Walking from the far back of any of the parking lots across all that asphalt in the heat is outrageous. Not to mention, walking all day in the park and then having to walk all the way to the car. I know that seems petty but I def canceled a park pass last week morning of because we woke up later than expected and knew we would be at the back of the parking lot.

Not running trams is cheap + it spaces crowds out. DLR is setup to stop running trans too so those could be a loooong way out.

Can't imagine that most of them would be able to afford staying onsite since mostly only deluxe options are open... maybe they're thinking that their families would join them?

Right. Lots of CPs grew up in “Disney families” so it could be a good incentive for their families to go, especially if they offered the CP room discount - is it still 40%? They haven’t offered the discount back obviously, was just thinking out loud. Also, many families probably planned to visit their CP kids while they were working so maybe had spring/summer trips in the works that they cancelled.

Trying to figure out the real reason they are giving the CPs their tickets (besides just being out of the goodness of their hearts, I think there’s another reason.)

It is outrageous. You would think they want more people driving themselves to keep the buses less crowded. Trams are open air. Stupid decision.

Is that really what’s going on though, people willing to travel and take a full blown vacation to Disney but choosing offsite instead because of a lack of perks? I think it’s more likely a combination of everything going on, the actual pandemic, avoiding air travel, lessened Disney experience, cost, etc.

I think they’re just still not able to draw the full blown vacationers period like they want to for a multitude of reasons. I’m not sure resort perks alone would be enough to move the needle.

I did see one site just post that recreation CMs are being brought back starting October 3rd, so at least that would be more activities to do around resort areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter