Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, wouldn't the implication then be that Disney thinks since people are coming anyways, no need to give them a nighttime show? That still speaks to it being about money, at least to me.
Im with you, when it makes sense financially, they will figure out a safe way to make it happen. If nighttime shows bring back resort guests, it’s going to have to have to be enough to make the cost of the shows and also the increased costs of hosting more “bubble” guests worth while (IMO of course). My impression is the balance between cost savings and magical Disney experience is leaning a whole lot more towards cost savings these days.

I know that personally we are not going back until the nighttime firework shows resume - that is my line in the sand. We usually go 4-5 times per year, and while we are DVC, we still spend $$$$ at resorts, restaurants, spa, etc. The cost premium is worth it for the Disney 'magic' (in my opinion), but the thought of shelling out Grand Floridian or Copper Creek Cabin dough without the fireworks is depressing.

I hope the UO competition spurs action!

We stayed at Ft. Wilderness and Riviera recently and both seemed to be bustling - but maybe they are exceptions due to camping/DVC?
Maybe, maybe not. As someone said up higher, Disney wouldn't be opening more resorts if the ones that are open are empty. I think occupancy probably isn't terrible anymore.

If there were a massive outbreak linked to Seaworld, Universal or Disney, it would be covered by the news. If there was a major incident, it would be covered by the news. Disney is not under higher scrutiny and hasnt been for many many years. All 3 are basically tied at the hip, especially with this.
I strongly disagree with this statement because of personal experience, i can't say much but SWO extremely busy, truly shoulder to shoulder crowds at times and i haven't seen any reports on the news about it

Whatever they are doing with resorts, they need to make sure the resorts can adequately feed the guests! From what I've been reading CSR is a mess with the food situation. They really need to get that quick service open
Yes! I am sketching out my post-Christmas dining plans, and I really want them to open more resort restaurants. Any rumors to give me hope??

If that’s what you believe, you’re entitled to that opinion. It’s not true, but you’re entitled to your opinion
Of course, Disney is under stricter scrutiny as you state. Look at the news articles. Somebody was caught or convicted of a crime and the headline will read “Disney cast member” because the guy worked at WDW twenty years ago. I’ve seen it many times over the years. It’s ridiculous how the media looks for a Disney connection in a negative way. I’ve never seen that with others theme parks. Disney is definitely held to a higher standard and that’s ok. It’s what makes Disney the most popular theme parks on the world.

Whatever they are doing with resorts, they need to make sure the resorts can adequately feed the guests! From what I've been reading CSR is a mess with the food situation. They really need to get that quick service open
I agree. On that front, my understanding is it's more of a holdup on the third party operator's end (Palmas) than on Disney's end, but I'm not sure what the exact "holdup" is.

Also worth noting, the three currently-open resort signatures are not showing any availability for NYE. While it's certainly possible that they've all been booked up already (I doubt it), I think they're still firming up NYE plans, given that these three locations in past have done some sort of special NYE (prepaid) menu or event. Considering that they've only extended hours through 12/30, they seem to be still figuring out NYE. One must hope they at least elect to bring back some more restaurants and shops, but then again, NYE leads right into one of the slowest times of the year and without Marathon Weekend, there won't be any buffer. It'll be a pretty steep drop off, so I'm not optimistic.

Lots to catch up on...

I agree with most of the people's views here that there is more media focus on Disney than other parks. Remember shortly after the closure when a man contracted COVID and died after attending a multi-day convention in Orlando, then visiting both Universal and WDW, yet most of the headlines read "Man Dies of COVID after Visiting Disney World."

As for the nighttime shows, I think it's a bit of both - safety and money. As the highest-profile theme park, they have to be more concerned about the perception of safety, so that likely plays a part in their decisions. However, Disney is also the second largest purchaser of explosives in the world - behind only the US Dept. of Defense - so that might give you an idea how much money they're saving by not having night shows.

My thoughts on the AoA and All Stars reopening is that, while it might have something to do with increasing overall capacity, it could just be an indicator of a shift in strategy. Disney might be getting feedback that cost is a deal-breaker for many, and their initial resort strategy of focusing on low-volume, high-spend guests may not have worked as they'd planned, so it could be better right now to attract a higher percentage of lower-paying guests instead.

What is the incentive for bringing back nighttime shows at this point, when they are seemingly hitting their capacity limit more regularly at this point and people are coming regardless? And if nighttime entertainment brought in more full blown vacation type guests, who will fill the resorts more and be prepared to spend more, they would in turn need the ability to feed, entertain, and transport these people which would I think require an increase in non-attraction kind of capacity. Can they do this yet and if they can are they willing to?

Is there an incentive for them to do this while they are still limiting their capacity to the degree they are, and distancing to the degree they are? Does it make sense from a cost perspective? I have said this before but I think they are more than capable of figuring out safe solutions to bringing back anything they wanted to. I don’t think this is largely about safety, as in figuring out how to logistically have a nighttime show. Without money as an issue, the sky is the limit figuring out creative solutions.
Exactly. It seems the more Disney cut, the more people want to go!

I am a goner if Wishes returns. As if I’m not already going to be enough of an emotional wreck when we can finally return. Look for the person loudly sobbing as soon as we hear “starlight”.

Good thing it coming back is just *Wishes* on our part, lol.
Definitely with you on this one.

I strongly disagree with this statement because of personal experience, i can't say much but SWO extremely busy, truly shoulder to shoulder crowds at times and i haven't seen any reports on the news about it
[/QUOTE]

FunSpot allowing guests in without masks when they first reopened has garnered more mainstream attention than Universal and Sea World since June. Yes, FunSpot.

Universal opened to “I can smell the person in front of me even with a mask on” lines to get temperature checks the day City Walk reopened, nothin. Disney Springs had unauthorized Hot Dogs outside of an Irish restaurant and it made it to CNN.

the only time I’ve seen universal talked about since June from people that don’t typically tweet about theme parks unless it’s negative about Disney was the cancellation of HHN.

Exactly. It seems the more Disney cut, the more people want to go!
Meh, it may be that people are trying to help others. I have upped my charity gjving, eat out more, tip more, and i will go as scheduled in December even if things are cut. I look at it as a $10,000 trip that helps some people keep working. Airlines, hotel workers, restaurant workers, CM's. I am not going to stay 1200 miles away complaining about something all the time. But thats just me.

Meh, it may be that people are trying to help others. I have upped my charity gjving, eat out more, tip more, and i will go as scheduled in December even if things are cut. I look at it as a $10,000 trip that helps some people keep working. Airlines, hotel workers, restaurant workers, CM's. I am not going to stay 1200 miles away complaining about something all the time. But thats just me.

Is this the point we’ve gotten to? Pretending that a trip to Disney is about anything other than ones desire to go? Everyday heroes 😂.

ETA - A take out habit is my good deed of the day.

In a way I agree with what you said. Where so disagree IMO its more important to help your local economy over the big corporations. I would rather spend money on my local parks and my local business over a place miles away from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter