Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not that simple. Disney+ is very important to the company especially given the current circumstance.
I get it's very important to the company. In the long run IMO the parks are where the money is. Disney+ is nice and all but with so many streaming services out there its really hard to stand out. Add in that many people will subscribe just to see what they want then cancel. People do it already with other streaming services.

I get it's very important to the company. In the long run IMO the parks are where the money is. Disney+ is nice and all but with so many streaming services out there its really hard to stand out. Add in that many people will subscribe just to see what they want then cancel. People do it already with other streaming services.
You don’t know that. None of us here know that. Disney+ once profitable could be the driver for the company. Disney+ is already standing out. Don’t forget the ongoing pandemic. Investing a ton in the parks isn’t so simple right now either. Even universal has pulled back.

It’s not really a question, it’s when.

There will be small casualties and forever tweaks (maybe Buffets will be different for instance), but the March 2020 Disney as we remember will return. With a vaccine, it will accelerate it.

And I for one can’t wait to once again be passive aggressively angry at the group of 5 people in front of me walking side by side up the main st sidewalk so slow I can physically feel time being wasted.

You don’t know that. None of us here know that. Disney+ once profitable could be the driver for the company. Disney+ is already standing out. Don’t forget the ongoing pandemic. Investing a ton in the parks isn’t so simple right now either. Even universal has pulled back.
The thing for me with Disney+ is that it launched strong because it gave great access to their back catalogue, and in many countries was perfectly timed for the pandemic. Is Disney doing enough to keep people interested with new content? I don't think so. The only new content I hear people talk about is mandelorian.

It’s not really a question, it’s when.

There will be small casualties and forever tweaks (maybe Buffets will be different for instance), but the March 2020 Disney as we remember will return. With a vaccine, it will accelerate it.

I agree most will come back, some things will change but things would have changed one way or another over time. I think even buffets will be back personally. Ruby Tuesday already has their salad bar back and its self serve with a box of gloves to use and still be used by a lot of people.

I think for many in this thread it is more a willingness to live with the virus to varying degrees, than thinking COVID’s threat has passed.

My dad is 76. He understands his age alone places him in the highest risk group. He said for him and many of his friends that living life in a kind of distanced constant isolation had become a life not enjoyable to live. They know the risks, but while following certain precautions are willing to accept them.

To be fair we do this everyday with decisions, they are just decisions that are so ingrained in everyday life that they don't seem so big but they are really can be.

We made reservations for our December trip about a week ago. I would be able to make 5-7 reservations and then all of the sudden the site wouldn’t return any availability whatsoever. I’d have to close the browser and come back in to get it to work. The phone app was even worse.
Yeah, I had that happen once or twice too.

If I haven’t shut this thread down after 3077 pages I’m not quite sure why I would do it now. Some here just seem to ruin things for everyone though. I don’t think anyone here has said the pandemic is over.

I think we are all well aware but at the same time Disney is a business, they are in a tough spot and are going to make tough decisions. Are all of us going to like those decisions? Of course not. I certainly haven’t liked everything they have done.

I think we are all well aware but at the same time Disney is a business, they are in a tough spot and are going to make tough decisions. Are all of us going to like those decisions? Of course not. I certainly haven’t liked everything they have done.

Heck, I haven't liked some of the decisions I have had to make since March, but they needed made at the time. And looking back, I like some even more now, and dislike some even more now than when I made the decision.

Also, I think people are saying the parks "feel" like normal October parks and that includes the distancing/restrictions that are in place for a good reason. Not that the same amount of people are going as a normal October.

If I haven’t shut this thread down after 3077 pages I’m not quite sure why I would do it now. Some here just seem to ruin things for everyone though. I don’t think anyone here has said the pandemic is over.

Imagine how many pages it would be if you hadn't deleted so many posts...:duck:

We made reservations for our December trip about a week ago. I would be able to make 5-7 reservations and then all of the sudden the site wouldn’t return any availability whatsoever. I’d have to close the browser and come back in to get it to work. The phone app was even worse.
I made my reservations last Tuesday and couldn't use the app at all, and the website was sloooooooow. Thankfully I got everything I wanted on the day I wanted, and aside from Yak & Yeti I got them all at the times I wanted as well. Now of course most are booked up that I booked so there is no changing any of them. If I were on the fence about coming that week I 100% wouldn't at this point, I think they'll be hard pressed to have people book at this point with so much dining gone and park reservations snatched up for several parks on most days.

The thing for me with Disney+ is that it launched strong because it gave great access to their back catalogue, and in many countries was perfectly timed for the pandemic. Is Disney doing enough to keep people interested with new content? I don't think so. The only new content I hear people talk about is mandelorian.
My kids watch new stuff on Disney+ daily, it's the only "tv" they watch. Fridays right now have us watching the Animal Kingdom show, my youngest wants to be a vet and it's what she wants to do as soon as dinner is over. She also watches a show that I believe is called Strange but True, and many other shows on there about science and animals. My oldest loves watching all the movies and shorts, especially if it's Frozen/Olaf or Forky, and DH and I love watching all the old movies on a regular basis. I've watched a few mandelorian episodes but that's about it, so just because that's all you hear people talk about does not mean that's all people are watching, it's been a worthwhile investment in my house and for many people I know.

Why is it “sidestepping” when it’s Disney but when it’s Knotts it’s “innovative”?
That is an interesting distinction. .. but I guess technically true as it seems like Disney .. by allowing guests into back entrances of DCA is just "extending" their downtown Disney District rather than "officially" letting people in their them park (via the front gate). Does DL have a a side entrance? I am guessing they could do the same for Main Street, USA.

I guess Knott's is "innovative" because they turned it into a paid "event" rather than just opening the gates of their theme park for open shopping/eating? *shrug* ..

My kids watch new stuff on Disney+ daily, it's the only "tv" they watch. Fridays right now have us watching the Animal Kingdom show, my youngest wants to be a vet and it's what she wants to do as soon as dinner is over. She also watches a show that I believe is called Strange but True, and many other shows on there about science and animals. My oldest loves watching all the movies and shorts, especially if it's Frozen/Olaf or Forky, and DH and I love watching all the old movies on a regular basis. I've watched a few mandelorian episodes but that's about it, so just because that's all you hear people talk about does not mean that's all people are watching, it's been a worthwhile investment in my house and for many people I know.
I haven't watched The Mandalorian yet, but The Imagineering Story is pretty great. We're also looking forward to the (many) Marvel projects. They've apparently also announced a National Treasure series (I love "bad" adventure movies and NT is one of my favorites; also for the record, I don't think it's bad but I know a lot of ppl do). For being a young streaming service, they seem to have a decent amount of original content (lots in production or announced). They also obviously have a strong catalogue of "unoriginal" content (really it's almost all "original" though, they're the company that produced the shows in the first place).

Because it's Disney
Didn't someone previously mention that, although they were all thought of here as "theme parks," SeaWorld, Knott's Berry Farm, and Disneyland actually fall under different business categories as far as the state was concerned. SW is a zoo, Knott's is a market(?), and DL is an amusement park. Could that be the difference?

Didn't someone previously mention that, although they were all thought of here as "theme parks," SeaWorld, Knott's Berry Farm, and Disneyland actually fall under different business categories as far as the state was concerned. SW is a zoo, Knott's is a market(?), and DL is an amusement park. Could that be the difference?
SW is currently operating as a zoo because no attractions are open. If they operated attractions they would be a theme park and not be able to open. Knotts is the same but operating as a market. DCA will be operating as a market as well because of the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter