Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long term it will connect Miami to MCO to Disney Springs to Tampa and back.

No idea how often they would run - my guess would be fairly often during "peak" times but if your plan arrives at an off time you could have a bit of a wait (though that was true with ME as well)
I can’t see them running too often, considering they have to share the track with other train services. I would think at most we‘re looking at 4-5 runs from MCO to WDW a day. It will be able to be used by some people but it will in no way be a full replacement for DME. Plus, it’s still a big if this gets built anytime soon. People keep throwing out the 2023 date but don’t realize that Brightline is already more than 6 months behind on the Miami to MCO line and that part probably won’t open now until 2023. The WDW line and station still doesn’t even have government approval. This is more than a couple of years out, we’re looking at more 2025-26 for this to be operational. Unless Disney really puts their muscle behind it, but Brightline has just shown to be such an inept company when it comes to building timelines here in FL.

I can’t see them running too often, considering they have to share the track with other train services. I would think at most we‘re looking at 4-5 runs from MCO to WDW a day. It will be able to be used by some people but it will in no way be a full replacement for DME. Plus, it’s still a big if this gets built anytime soon. People keep throwing out the 2023 date but don’t realize that Brightline is already more than 6 months behind on the Miami to MCO line and that part probably won’t open now until 2023. The WDW line and station still doesn’t even have government approval. This is more than a couple of years out, we’re looking at more 2025-26 for this to be operational. Unless Disney really puts their muscle behind it, but Brightline has just shown to be such an inept company when it comes to building timelines here in FL.

They would have to have dual tracks. One for the Miama-Tampa Express and then another one for the MCO to Disney train. Not sure if the would do that.

They would have to have dual tracks. One for the Miama-Tampa Express and then another one for the MCO to Disney train. Not sure if the would do that.
No, the plans don’t call for that. The plan for this train service is to start in Miami, go to MCO, and then go from MCO to Tampa. The WDW stop is just a stop along the planned line from MCO to Tampa and not the main reason for this train line. The plans don’t call for multiple tracks as their main purpose isn’t to shuttle guests from the airport to Disney, its to go to Tampa.

Well the thing is that the DME effects almost everyone.

They were able to get away with the parking fees because it only effected a small segment of people who complained vociferously.

Same with taking away alot of other things.

But DME, almost everyone uses that so was the straw that broke the camel's back.
It really doesn’t affect almost everyone, and Disney realizes this currently. The majority of guests coming to WDW now are still more local in variety and not utilizing DME. Disney may realize that for the next few years air travel will be down coming to WDW. Plus, as others have mentioned the main reason for DME was to keep people captive on property but since the invention of ride share, that bubble has be burst now for years. So Disney isn‘t going to fork out the money to drive people, for free, from MCO to WDW for them to turn around and still leave property every night for dinner or to go to other parks. The point of the system was to keep you on property 24/7. That’s been gone for years now.

Train seems like a nice option for parties who can pack somewhat light (thinking short trips, adults only, or families with older kids) but dragging kids and luggage on public transport that most importantly does not take you to a resort and requires a transfer would make it a non starter for lots of families IMO. Still a good option but not for all situations.

Would not want to have to get on Disney transport with all our stuff after the train, and if we’d be willing to get in a ride share to the resort seems easier and more efficient to just take it from MCO given they are on demand.

In hindsight there’s no doubt in my mind DLR remaining closed right now is the right and responsible thing, but I don’t know if further discussing the reasons why is deemed too OT so I’ll leave it at that.

yeah, but in 1971 they weren't charging $500/ night for a deluxe room of $200/night for a themed motel room

and they didn't have major competition down the road they were trying to keep people away from
^^^YES THIS!!^^^

It is the price of a Disney stay that is the problem. The other "perks" (DME, 60 FP window, EMHs) were what made paying the Disney prices worth it. Now they are just nice themed hotels with transportation to the parks (that can be hit or miss in the amount of time it takes). The transportation to the parks is still a great feature but not worth the prices that you are required to pay. You can easily stay off site and even with the parking fees come out ahead.

Additionally as many have said by not having a car most people stayed in the Disney bubble. That was HUGE for Disney. They are really shooting themselves in the foot now. Very short term thinking here.

And let me be clear - My issue isn't so much regarding DME (although this is probably the straw that breaks the camels back for most) it is the consistent devaluation of a Disney vacation. Yes there is still magic and yes I still love Disney and will be back. But I will most likely do it very differently and spend a lot of my dollars elsewhere. I certainly will not pay to stay on-site when I can stay off-site and save a lot of money. Meanwhile I will ONLY stay in the deluxe hotels at Universal since they have the express pass. I am willing to pay the higher rate for the room for the benefit of the stay. I have a feeling Disney will really regret all these changes in the end. They certainly are not the leaders in customer service anymore.

Bus lines from MIA to Orlando are actually very very popular. Creating this new option is great news. I don't think WDW visitors will be using it that much though. I could be wrong

Finally DL is getting smart. Instead of complaining or sniping or threatening about being able to open they decided to go with "How can we help you so that we can get to the point where DL can eventually open?" approach. Took a long time for that to sink in.

As for the train as a replacement option to DME from MCO, as someone said it may be great for those that travel light but for those larger family groups with 10+ bags schlepping those bags over to a train station and being let off at DS and having to schlep those bags over to a bus stop and pretty much fill the bus between all the people and bags is not convenient in the least when you compare to DME bag check-in at your home airport and MCO on-site busses directly to your resort. Of course now you need to schlep your bags to DME, but even that is a relatively minor inconvenience given the locations at MCO of the baggage area and DME.

Last edited:
Bus lines from MIA to Orlando are actually very very popular. Creating this new option is great news. I don't think WDW visitors will be using it that much though. I could be wrong

Part of that (in reverse) is when the cruise lines were online and trips out of Port of Miami were so much cheaper (or had better itineraries) than Port Canaveral.

Part of that (in reverse) is when the cruise lines were online and trips out of Port of Miami were so much cheaper (or had better itineraries) than Port Canaveral.
Don't know about that but from personal experience thre bus lines that stop at MIA, Fort Lauderdale and the Walmart on osceola parkway is very popular with locals. I believe it's like $25 a trip.
I train will definitely be more efficient in terms of time

Don't know about that but from personal experience thre bus lines that stop at MIA, Fort Lauderdale and the Walmart on osceola parkway is very popular with locals. I believe it's like $25 a trip.
I train will definitely be more efficient in terms of time

Is there a train or something from Sea World to Busch Gardens Tampa?

Is there a train or something from Sea World to Busch Gardens Tampa?
No. Our new-ish thing is sunrail that has been a slow construction but eventually it will reach Tampa.
I believe there is a shuttle service to legoland from Icon Orlando.
Not sure about shuttle from SWO to BG

One thing that people need to understand is that the train is not something new as far a Disney station. The original Florida High Speed Rail system proposed in the late 2000's was to have a 2 level station built to service WDW adjacent to I-4 near World Drive since the train line would be situated within the I-4 Right of Way. The Brightline Rail idea is just an extension of this idea since that project was killed by the Governor in 2014. Disney agreeing to a station is just dusting off the previous plans and saying, sure, we will let you have a stop that services us.

But to think that this line is going to be anything close to a replacement for DME is not even close. These trains are high speed passenger lines, not commuter. There will not be a constant flow of trains moving between the airport and WDW. There may be a few a day going each direction, but the idea is to get people between Miami and Orlando and Orlando and Tampa.

Also - at present, there is not even an approved route to begin a study for environmental approvals (NEPA) let alone a route to begin engineering design and permitting. There are not any agreements yet for use of tracks (they need to have a shared track agreement with CSX to get from the Airport station to the south), or agreements with either the Central Florida Expressway Authority for use of right of way to build tracks along SR 417, or agreements wtih FDOT for co-location of tracks along I-4. THere is a dedicated envelope in the ROW of I-4 for rail, but that was modified for the I-4 expansion project that will soon be moving to construction. I have reviewed the first 2 Brightline proposals for FDOT and there has been nothing new submitted in close to a year, so they are not actively moving on this, other than the agreement to build a station to serve Disney (location unknown).

The station at the airport is being built at Terminal C, which at present is not really in use other than for parking, so you would need to get from terminal A or B with your bags and take the monorail to terminal C to catch a train too. I have been monitoring the construction for the route from the Airport to Cocoa and they are nowhere near ready to lay any tracks. In the past year they have been building several bridges to get the line over major roads, but there are still miles and miles of the route that is just clearing and grubbing and fill dirt with stabiliized support walls. There is no way that the line is running when they have said.

So they’re just building a station on Disney property for show, no trains will actually arrive there? Because that’s the only way this isn’t a “realistic” option. If it’s there, people will use it. Disney isn’t allowing something like this be built on their property if they didn’t research prior to the agreement that people would actually utilize it.
DME takes people to the front entrance of their hotel, where there are most often bellmen and luggage racks waiting. I read the train station will be at DS - is this accurate?

If the train station is at DS:
How will everyone get from the single train station to their hotel, with all their bags? Doesn't that create a separate logistical nightmare? Will they have to create a separate "bell services" type desk at the train station to help people with their bags, or at least have airport-type carts, at both the train station and the DS bus corral area? Won't that create even bigger backups on the DS buses (I've had to wait through 3 or 4 buses of people to get back to my hotel as it is, I can't imagine ALSO adding in all the people coming from the airport and their luggage)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter