Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
DME takes people to the front of their hotel....after a few stops at other hotels....and waiting at the airport, possibly for a long time. I understand people are upset that it is going away, but let's not pretend it was a perfect service. I've seen tons of complaints about it over the past few years. For us, getting to the airport hours before our flight meant we would never use it on the way back.

Its not perfect but we pay for it so id rather get what I pay for than nothing.

I'm kind of confused why people think this has anything to do with the train.

I don't even know if that train is happening for sure. I don't know if anyone does. Projects like that get canceled or modified all the time.

I don't want to end up at Disney Springs anyway with all my luggage and have to go wait in a giant line for a resort bus either.

I don't even know if that train is happening for sure. I don't know if anyone does. Projects like that get canceled or modified all the time.

I don't want to end up at Disney Springs anyway with all my luggage and have to go wait in a giant line for a resort bus either.
People latched onto the train speculation because it was announced within the last 6 months, so it’s fresh in people‘s minds. I agree that it won’t be used as a direct replacement for DME and is still years and years away from completion if it ever is completed. But it’s being talked about as if it’s going to come in a few months after DME leaves and solve all the problems. It won’t.

It doesn’t have anything to do with the train. People just want a substitute MDE and they latched onto that.

ETA- @skeeter31 beat me to the punch here #greatminds

It was posed as a question, like will the train lend itself to getting people to WDW (not a replacement for DME but another transportation option) but those with more knowledge quickly answered that no, it isn't a high capacity solution.

It was posed as a question, like will the train lend itself to getting people to WDW (not a replacement for DME but another transportation option) but those with more knowledge quickly answered that no, it isn't a high capacity solution.
No it’s really been picked up by a lot of sources as being the replacement for DME, not just here. Multiple articles mention the train coming as a nice option, when in reality it really won’t be. People will be able to use it, but it won’t be a true replacement or be able to be used by the numbers that used DME.

I just moved to the Orlando area.

Honestly wondering if I shouldn't just start up a MCO to WDW van business with a van that has 3 car seats next year.

Sounds like I'd make a fortune.

Just FYI I'm not really going to start that business. Just seems like there is a big need for it.

a service that catered to families could be really useful

no idea what insurance for operating such a service would be though

No it’s really been picked up by a lot of sources as being the replacement for DME, not just here. Multiple articles mention the train coming as a nice option, when in reality it really won’t be. People will be able to use it, but it won’t be a true replacement or be able to be used by the numbers that used DME.

I've seen a lot of comments elswhere to the effct of "People are stupid, I wish they would read more - obviously DME is no longer needed with the train coming in 2022!"

I do think long road it could play a role in getting people to the area - though in my mind it would be more impactful for people staying at DIsney Springs hotels that don't have something like DME to bring people directly from the airport already

It doesn’t have anything to do with the train. People just want a substitute MDE and they latched onto that.

ETA- @skeeter31 beat me to the punch here #greatminds

Funny part is the substitute is to use the same service and same buses, they just are not painted/wrapped as a Disney bus or showing videos. Mears will continue to provide the exact same service. There is no need for a substitute. The outrage is a bit over the top

It is the similar to the minnie vans stopping, the service is still there just not Disney branded anymore.

I just moved to the Orlando area.

Honestly wondering if I shouldn't just start up a MCO to WDW van business with a van that has 3 car seats next year.

Sounds like I'd make a fortune.

Just FYI I'm not really going to start that business. Just seems like there is a big need for it.
Most if not all van/shuttle companies provide car seats already, some for free some at an additional cost

I was only commenting on here, haven't seen much else. Pretty ridiculous if that's the case as they should be doing research before throwing it out as a solution.

Funny part is the substitute is to use the same service and same buses, they just are not painted/wrapped as a Disney bus or showing videos. Mears will continue to provide the exact same service. There is no need for a substitute. The outrage is a bit over the top

It is the similar to the minnie vans stopping, the service is still there just not Disney branded anymore.

Didnt Mears run a MCO to WDW shuttle sans luggage service before DME came on the scene, or is that my imagination? They’ve got the buses to do that again, like you said.

No doubt someone comes along and fills the void. Just won’t be included and probably won’t be as seamless and easy as DME was. For us if we’re having to pay for transport anyways we’re probably more likely to just rent a vehicle to give us the convenience that we miss out on by not using rideshare programs with car seat age kids.

Still the real price not much different from today, Contemporary hotel room in 1972 was around $45 which is around $300 today with inflation factored in, plus there was only one park then. I can book at Contemporary room for $348 for this week, very close to the same amount as back then, with four parks and a bunch more amenities even without DME.

In 1987, poly rooms were $187, in today's dollars $430

GF in 1988 was $160 around $370 now

Disney room costs have go up a bit but the vast increase in prices is due to inflation.

In 1971 : Average salary was $10K, new house was $25K, new car $3K, movie ticket $1.50
Magical Express started in 2005.

A comparison of rack rates at selected WDW hotels for October 8 in 2003, 2013 and 2021:

All Star Music
2003: $77
Inflation adjusted 2003 price: $109.38
2013: $124
Inflation adjusted 2013 price: $138.78
2021: $218

Coronado Springs
2003: $133
Inflation adjusted 2003 price: $188.93
2013: $245
Inflation adjusted 2013 price: $274.21
2021: $338

Polynesian Resort
2003: $299
Inflation adjusted 2003 price: $424.74
2013: $562
Inflation adjusted 2013 price: $629
2021: $820

Didnt Mears run a MCO to WDW shuttle sans luggage service before DME came on the scene, or is that my imagination? They’ve got the buses to do that again, like you said.

No doubt someone comes along and fills the void. Just won’t be included and probably won’t be as seamless and easy as DME was. For us if we’re having to pay for transport anyways we’re probably more likely to just rent a vehicle to give us the convenience that we miss out on by not using rideshare programs with car seat age kids.

Yes.

In 2000 we bought Mear's shuttle tickets (can't remember if we actually got tickets or just paid at a booth) at the airport. :D

It was a yellow charter bus.

Today’s prices are very discounted due to COVID. If you want to compare apples to apples you need to use Rack Rate as discounts are much harder to get outside COVID times, smaller for the general public and availability usually sucks. Rack rate for this week starts at $518 for CR.

For 2021 rack rates: https://www.mousesavers.com/2021-contemporary-room-rates-season-dates/

But are the really discounted that much?

[
We are happy to stay onsite often (we've been staying every 3-4 weeks here lately) but I think the hotel costs are still too high for the return. The discounts are not any better than normal but without the perks (plus the parking fee on top of that!). The deals at hotels offsite - many of which are much nicer - are just too good to resist.

The rack rates for November 2021 are STUPID. There are obviously many things that can come back/change to make onsite appealing again, but I’m really disappointed in how high they are now. Throwing a 30% room discount out on those rates is a joke. I booked a moderate because I can’t book AKL yet and the other deluxes were way too much for what they’re offering.

I was just pointing out that yes rooms are a bit more expensive now, but it is not as dramatic as the OP stated when inflation and other amenities are looked at.

Back in the seventies you could stay at the Days Inn offsite for $3/night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter