Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it’s sad really. This used to be a good place to get decent information. Now it’s just either baseless speculation or arguments about politics and COVID.
I've been on here for months and other than when actual news breaks, it's what you described the vast majority of the time. Not sure anything changed about it. Other than news is a slow trickle now vs. around reopening. But the alternative is shutting this thread down and people didn't love that.

Last edited:
Question: When do you think Disney will announce changes to operations towards a "normal" environment?

I am asking this because Fauci has said today that it will be "open season" on vaccines by April and that ALL Americans will be vaccinated by mid-summer. Given that roughly 33% if Americans still say that will not get the vaccine, I bet that the 66% who want the shot will have it by the end of April - mid-May.

Late summer. Even if vaccine is available to all in april it will still take time to get everybody shots hence the mid summer comment. Then you still need a few weeks for vaccine to take effect. So we are probably looking late summer to early fall.

Late summer. Even if vaccine is available to all in april it will still take time to get everybody shots hence the mid summer comment. Then you still need a few weeks for vaccine to take effect. So we are probably looking late summer to early fall.

Agree. I've seen multiple articles state that stadiums, concerts, etc could be a normal capacity for fall events. Vaccine supply have been continuing to get better each week.

AND with more reports about vaccinations significantly reducing any chance of transmission it seems that once a certain % of population is vaccinated, masks can go away too.

Certainly Disney will follow CDC guidance. As the CDC loosens up, I think we'll see them loosen the spacing requirements before lifting the mask requirement. That would allow them an opportunity to increase capacity. Retaining the masks would still broadcast the message that they care to help combat the pandemic. Masks are logistically a lot easier to police than distancing etc. In general masks are a pretty easy thing to do, so I think it will probably be the last pandemic related measure to be removed. Even when no longer required, I think you will see many guests still using masks, even if only used partially. Heck, it is it's own niche industry, trying to have custom masks, to go along with your custom shirts, mickey ears etc.
Ultimately, masks do no prevent revenue. Lowered capacity does. In fact, mask sales are probably a decent revenue center now.

Certainly Disney will follow CDC guidance. As the CDC loosens up, I think we'll see them loosen the spacing requirements before lifting the mask requirement. That would allow them an opportunity to increase capacity. Retaining the masks would still broadcast the message that they care to help combat the pandemic. Masks are logistically a lot easier to police than distancing etc. In general masks are a pretty easy thing to do, so I think it will probably be the last pandemic related measure to be removed. Even when no longer required, I think you will see many guests still using masks, even if only used partially. Heck, it is it's own niche industry, trying to have custom masks, to go along with your custom shirts, mickey ears etc.
Ultimately, masks do no prevent revenue. Lowered capacity does. In fact, mask sales are probably a decent revenue center now.
I don't think the demand is really there anyways right now for out of state travelers to come to Disney World. There seems to be a large share of park attendance right now is coming from locals and Hollywood Studios is the only park that fills up consistently. When we went there in December, Animal Kingdom was dead and Epcot was a ghost town during the week.

Current Floridian weighing in...

I gotta be honest... I'm scratching my head that some of the same people who have been frustrated when a single photo/video/incident at Disney was used by the media as an example of things happening in the parks are the same people taking a few shots of Super Bowl celebrations and determining that the entire state of Florida "doesn't care"

I really like this thread and community but if without moderation, all we're going to do is label an entire state based on the actions of a few, I'm out. This is a big state and I live in a community that largely DOES take it seriously and I think it shows in our numbers, our ability to have children in school, and our ability to reopen businesses and restaurants in a cautious manner and keep people employed. It keeps getting repeated on "just back" threads how much safer people feel at Disney than at home and that's not the case for me - it's much safer in the stores near me than at Disney.

And if you really, truly think all Floridians don't take COVID seriously, I question your judgement in placing the safety of your family on a vacation at Disney in the hands of people who live in Florida :confused3

Floridian here... there are plenty of us who do care, who wear masks, who physically distance, who've been doing every single thing right since the beginning. You don't see us in the news because we're the not the ones gathering in unmasked crowds! My highly populated county happens to have been doing really, really well, throughout the pandemic so far; a testament to how many are doing the right thing.

Sorry to go OT, but the Florida bashing gets tiring.

As for travel to FL, I live in a very touristy, but non-WDW, area: tourism has picked up significantly over the past couple weeks. A huge influx of out-of-state license plates. Our seasons tend to be a little different than WDW's, but I expect with no travel restrictions in place, we'll see pretty significant increases here and at WDW heading into Winter and Spring Break season. Do I wish more people would stay home in their own states? Yep. Are the visitors making COVID spread more? IDK; we haven't done anything to be able to track that, unfortunately.

I don't think the demand is really there anyways right now for out of state travelers to come to Disney World. There seems to be a large share of park attendance right now is coming from locals and Hollywood Studios is the only park that fills up consistently. When we went there in December, Animal Kingdom was dead and Epcot was a ghost town during the week.

I can't say for sure what country they were from, but there were a lot of Spanish speaking groups in the park last week. And possibly Portuguese speaking from Brazil.

I don't know, I think it's picking up? (Although clearly the old demand isn't back yet based on lower crowds). We've been three times since reopening. In August, it was very quiet and seemed like mostly locals and some bloggers. In November, we saw a LOT of Disneyland gear worn, and in January, talked to a few first-timers and saw numerous "first visit" buttons. Many others we saw in the park last month didn't appear to be locals (reading maps, etc. and hearing bits of conversation in the parks.) We didn't see that as much the first two trips.

As a family we've purchased at least eight Disney m-words so you make a good point!

I gotta be honest... I'm scratching my head that some of the same people who have been frustrated when a single photo/video/incident at Disney was used by the media as an example of things happening in the parks are the same people taking a few shots of Super Bowl celebrations and determining that the entire state of Florida "doesn't care"

I really like this thread and community but if without moderation, all we're going to do is label an entire state based on the actions of a few, I'm out. This is a big state and I live in a community that largely DOES take it seriously and I think it shows in our numbers, our ability to have children in school, and our ability to reopen businesses and restaurants in a cautious manner and keep people employed. It keeps getting repeated on "just back" threads how much safer people feel at Disney than at home and that's not the case for me - it's much safer in the stores near me than at Disney.

And if you really, truly think all Floridians don't take COVID seriously, I question your judgement in placing the safety of your family on a vacation at Disney in the hands of people who live in Florida :confused3
I asked a fellow Floridian if they care, and he said no. That's where it started. Not to mention the governor has done little to create good faith that he's doing the right thing.

But I agree, if someone thinks ALL of Florida is dangerous, including Orlando/WDW, why would you go?

Floridian here... there are plenty of us who do care, who wear masks, who physically distance, who've been doing every single thing right since the beginning. You don't see us in the news because we're the not the ones gathering in unmasked crowds! My highly populated county happens to have been doing really, really well, throughout the pandemic so far; a testament to how many are doing the right thing.

Sorry to go OT, but the Florida bashing gets tiring.

As for travel to FL, I live in a very touristy, but non-WDW, area: tourism has picked up significantly over the past couple weeks. A huge influx of out-of-state license plates. Our seasons tend to be a little different than WDW's, but I expect with no travel restrictions in place, we'll see pretty significant increases here and at WDW heading into Winter and Spring Break season. Do I wish more people would stay home in their own states? Yep. Are the visitors making COVID spread more? IDK; we haven't done anything to be able to track that, unfortunately.
I have a lot of friends who have been very strict about COVID but over the past few weeks I've noticed a good deal of them traveling now (via social media) so tourism picking up around the country seems to be real.

Last edited:

Maybe not today but Disney is already advertising a 2-day add-on for a 4 day stay AND offering DVC members a two-day ticket add-on for 4 day or longer stays. Clearly, people want out and a sense of normalcy. If the vaccine distribution ramps up like they are saying, I can see bookings really pick up for the summer. With that said, people want the whole experience. So Disney will need to add back things like fireworks and character M&G.

I have a lot of friends who have been very strict about COVID but over the past few weeks I've noticed a good deal of them traveling now (via social media) so tourism picking up around the country seems real.
Just a hunch but I think as the most vulnerable get vaccinated, there might be more of a sense that we're in the clear and people can let their guard down and inch back to normal. I've been tempted to make a trip before Florida reaches uncharted weather territory for me (I've never been to Florida past April) but it's prob not happening, will end up waiting for the vaccine.

Truly well spoken, maybe you should run for some office in Florida. Maybe mayor of Tampa

All of the major cities and counties in Florida have had a mask mandate since April 2020.
I think there are some serious gaps, but regardless, the fact is that the governor cut the legs out from under these mandates. The only way to enforce them to is arrest violators, which forces police to suffer being presented in the press as responding to violations out of proportion to the offense. I wish they'd actually have some intellectual integrity and do up stats comparing new cases to the level of noncompliance. I bet there's a strong correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter