CRV ain't in the cards

nuts

Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good p
Folks, just returned from a wonderful week at SSR. I had the opportunity to go explore the west wing of CR (well, walked around the fence). The fence is up. I talked to some folks working it. Just another rehab. This makes sense if you look at how the fence was put up. Doesn't even go all the way around. Only blocks off entrance and exits. Also keeps junk from going into the lake. In discussion with my "source" (yeah, I know...we all have "sources")...she said:
1. Too expensive. Yes, there was a design floating around, but it was rejected because of cost to build.
2. Couldn't build in phases...entire facility would have to be near completion before they could begin sales (Florida timeshare laws). So the cash flow didn't work out.
3. Reedy Creek (did I spell that correctly?) has tight regulations around development near the water.
4. Don't want to exploit the magic kingdom area yet. Making too much off the hotels
5. CR occupancy has really increased this year. What was once a dieing hotel is turning around into a money maker (WD hotel team not eager to sell the west wing to DVC).

CRV could happen sometime way down the line, but their are better options (read: cheaper alternatives, thus better profits) than CRV. STOL is still very much in the running. It was a top runner for the next DVC, but with SSR selling faster than planned, they needed to move quickly (hence AK). There is a contingent of DVC and WDW resort folks that want to build a combination hotel/DVC resort at the STOL. Would be the first Epcot monorail resort. Plenty of land, and plenty opportunity for future growth.

Who knows.

This all makes a lot of sense.

The former STOL area would be a great location, but isn't the only monorail close to that the Epcot-MK monorail? So would a STOL area resort only be on that monorail and not on the resorts monorail?

For those who don't know what STOL is, it's a strip of land for the Short Takeoff and Landing airplane landing strip that's near the MK area.

Well, who knows...my source has proved somewhat reliable in the past...but not 100%. She is at a level of understanding the discussions...but not in the actual discussions.

I would say your source is right on for what is known right now. Problem is with Disney anything can happen and change any part of the reasons why they are not going ahead.

I too had heard rumblings of discussions about STOL about the time I heard the rumblings about AKV.

Time will tell I guess but thanks for sharing.

I knew that the possibility of problems with wetlands might be an issue. Because I know when the Villas went in at WL there was talk of enlarging the main pool and they couldn't due to wetlands protection.

There are a lot of rumors.

The fact that an eight foot fence has been placed around the North Wing and that there are water barriers booms in the lake indicates more than a simple rehab.

The water booms would suggest demolition to me or some rather extensive repair work on the structure of the North Wings.

I know the fence is standard during refurbishment's but the water booms in the lake have peeked my interest.

There are some zoning restrictions that are state or federal mandated that even Reedy Creek may not be able to ignore such as building too close to the water. Wetlands are others.

DH is a commercial builder (he owns his own business) and I am somewhat familiar with zoning laws.
Sometimes as long as one original wall remains the building can be "grandfathered" in.

If that is the case they may be able to build a tower or add floors to the existing North Wing.

Maybe there is structural damage that needs to be repaired.

Often when a building is that close to water an area starts to sink.

Not saying that is the case but if it were the foundation would need to supported and some extensive repair would need to done.

Lots of possibilities.

I am still hoping for a DVC at the CR. :thumbsup2

Time will tell.

Seems like the only thing anyone knows for sure about CRV is that we will have plenty to discuss for many months/years to come. ;)

Still have fingers crossed for CRV.

As mentioned earlier most of the sliding glass doors in the North bldg. were hanging open during last trip for a couple of days...IMO that signals a demolition, not a rehab. Even with central FLs mild weather, it'd be an invite for critters & the elements to wreck havoc.

There were booms in the water near Planet Hollywood/PI small section of water too, they are doing a good bit of building there.

When we rode the monorail to Epcot, if you peeked thru the trees you could see some trailers set up over near the SOTL area, not sure what's going on there.

Mouseplanet keeps CR DVC rumors alive:

http://mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=wd061016

"I am delighted to announce that our members will have yet another place to call home with Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas," said Jim Lewis, President of Disney Vacation Club. "This begins another exciting new era for Disney Vacation Club as we continue to explore future destination possibilities both domestically and internationally."

The last statement by Lewis would seem to hint at what we further hinted at a couple of weeks ago, that the next DVC resort to be announced would be in California. He also seems to leave the door open for the possibility of DVC resort at other Disney resort properties near Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong. We're still pointing toward a new tower adjacent to the Contemporary Resort as the next property at Walt Disney World after the Animal Kingdom Villas are completed.
--------------------------

I am still hoping for a DVC at CR also! :wizard:

I don't like that phrase about not wanting to exploit the MK area. That doesn't sound good for a DVC resort on the monorail line for many more years. Although the word "Yet" allows people to hold out some hope for it eventually happening, I guess we'll have to be content with VWL as the closest to the MK for now.

I would say Nuts is right on with the info. DVC was definitely interested in the Contemporary I know that for fact. Disney was not as interested in them moving there. You have to remember that even though many of us consider it all Disney, it is very different, almost 2 different companies.

As stated since the new room rehabs the Contemporary has experienced rebirth. Disney is only intereted in giving up an area that is not being kept full such as the AKL.

As to the water booms do we know they did not put them in during the rehab of the South Wing.

WOW!!! Disney is good at keeping a secret. The speculation is swirling and I for one am saving my pennies for an add on at CRV!!!

Not sure what a water boom is...but I do know they are going to do extensive roofing work. Would that apply?

nuts said:
Not sure what a water boom is...but I do know they are going to do extensive roofing work. Would that apply?

Maybe the roof will be removed and DVC units will be added on top. :confused3 :teeth:

From what Linda posted, that type of construction would be granfathered in despite any restrictions of Reedy Creek.

It seems to me that DVC should be careful about overbuilding at WDW. Too many eggs in one basket. I know the chickens are laying now, but what'll they be doing in 10 years?

I think Disneyland would be an obvious next site. I hope they're looking at some off-campus possibilities, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter