Current photo of Castle while being refurbished

I am glad that the folks at Disney listened to their customers and did the Concept tarp.

I will admit that the Castle being closed was the biggest disappointment for me as it is the first time for both DD5 and myself to ever visit anything, and I mean ANYTHING (I have not even been in the local Disney store at WEM) that is Disney related.

We depart on March 2nd with our last park day being the 1st so we will most likely not see the castle except with this new tarp on it, but, it will be much better than the construction tarp it covers.

I emailed Disney again (2nd time) to find out if tarp will come down when walk through is opened on March 3. The answer I got was yes the castle will reopen March 3rd. :jumping1: This is great news for my family as we may see it on our last day in the parks. This makes 3 times someone from Disney has told us that castle will be done/uncovered March 3....still crossing my fingers it works out that way--but its hopeful! :lovestruc[/QU

Hope it works out for your family...it sounds like it may be a perfect finale for your trip! :thumbsup2

I am glad that the folks at Disney listened to their customers and did the Concept tarp.

I will admit that the Castle being closed was the biggest disappointment for me as it is the first time for both DD5 and myself to ever visit anything, and I mean ANYTHING (I have not even been in the local Disney store at WEM) that is Disney related.

We depart on March 2nd with our last park day being the 1st so we will most likely not see the castle except with this new tarp on it, but, it will be much better than the construction tarp it covers.
Well hopefully the castle will be available for regular viewing before you leave.
You will love all of the shopping choices between the parks and Downtown Disney and then everywhere else. In Downtown Disney there's the World of Disney Store. It's an awesomely large store, with more than enough variety and choices to make your head spin. Believe me....lol :faint:

Much better than the brown tarp! I think it will be a great picture opportunity. Everyone has pictures of themselves with the castle but only us lucky Feb. 2015 visitors will have a picture with this concept art! Not to mention, I bet we will be able to get a photo without so many random people in the background!

They have a pic of the castle on the tarp now, much better than just a brown tarp, a better photo back drop!

I found this picture I took in Feb 2013 while we were there. See the tarp? Do you think the castle will eventually be covered in a tarp similar to this one? (Also posted in Feb 2015 check-in thread)

View attachment 964

We were there a year ago as well and I found that tarp to be sort of silly, tbh. We all know it's covered with a tarp!

I emailed Disney again (2nd time) to find out if tarp will come down when walk through is opened on March 3. The answer I got was yes the castle will reopen March 3rd. :jumping1: This is great news for my family as we may see it on our last day in the parks. This makes 3 times someone from Disney has told us that castle will be done/uncovered March 3....still crossing my fingers it works out that way--but its hopeful! :lovestruc

Everything that I have read about the Castle is that only the walkthrough will be opening March 3rd but the 60th Anniversary diamond overlay will not be unveiled until May when the 60th Anniversary Celebration gets under way. Here is a quote from MiceChat regarding the Castle.

• Sleeping Beauty Castle: Castle will be closed for refurbishments and installation of 60th Anniversary overlay. The Enchanted Chamber gift shop and Walk-Through attraction are scheduled to reopen March 3. Castle overlay will debut by May 2015.
I would not get my hopes up for the scaffolding and overlay being down in a month......we will be there March 21-28 and are fully expecting the Castle to still be "Under Wraps"

It is likely that the castle will be "de-tarped" before the May kickoff, it will just not have any of the decorations on it. That is what they did for the 50th. The tarp was removed so you could still see the new paint job, but the decorations were added later. Now whether or not the day will be precisely on March 3rd remains to be seen.

It is likely that the castle will be "de-tarped" before the May kickoff, it will just not have any of the decorations on it. That is what they did for the 50th. The tarp was removed so you could still see the new paint job, but the decorations were added later. Now whether or not the day will be precisely on March 3rd remains to be seen.

Let's hope the Castle is de-tarped on March 3rd........but would they still not need all of the scaffolding up in order to put on all of the decorations?:confused3

Let's hope the Castle is de-tarped on March 3rd........but would they still not need all of the scaffolding up in order to put on all of the decorations?:confused3

No, probably just ladders and cherry pickers. The same way they decorate other areas of the park for Halloween and Christmas.

I would be so disappointed if I booked a trip, waited for months and then when I arrived the castle was all tarped over. I mean I understand they have to do it while working on it but still you do to Disney you expect to see the castle

I would be so disappointed if I booked a trip, waited for months and then when I arrived the castle was all tarped over. I mean I understand they have to do it while working on it but still you do to Disney you expect to see the castle

We booked 10 months out, so yeah pretty disappointed...

I must admit, It was pretty horrible when we first arrived, was like "oh bugger it really is covered".

We knew about it being covered before we left, so even though this is our first trip, we were able to get most of the disappointment out of our systems before flying over.

We did manage to get a nice photo from the back though, at night of the castle still lit up, before they totally covered it, so I sort of got my pic...lol

We booked 10 months out, so yeah pretty disappointed...

I must admit, It was pretty horrible when we first arrived, was like "oh bugger it really is covered".

We knew about it being covered before we left, so even though this is our first trip, we were able to get most of the disappointment out of our systems before flying over.

We did manage to get a nice photo from the back though, at night of the castle still lit up, before they totally covered it, so I sort of got my pic...lol

I would still be really upset. I live 13 hours away on a plane like so if i got there for my first trip and couldn't see a castle I'd be devastated :(

I emailed Disney again (2nd time) to find out if tarp will come down when walk through is opened on March 3. The answer I got was yes the castle will reopen March 3rd. :jumping1: This is great news for my family as we may see it on our last day in the parks. This makes 3 times someone from Disney has told us that castle will be done/uncovered March 3....still crossing my fingers it works out that way--but its hopeful! :lovestruc
I don't want to rain on your parade, but here's what I think. I don't believe the tarps will come down when the walk through reopens. If they are decorating the castle for the Diamond Celebration, and that celebration doesn't start until May 22, I don't expect the tarp and scaffolding to come down to reveal the castle until sometime in May. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter