Current photo of Castle while being refurbished

I would still be really upset. I live 13 hours away on a plane like so if i got there for my first trip and couldn't see a castle I'd be devastated :(

Our flight was almost 14 hours long - so understand that.... I was devastated when I first read it was to be covered, but when we got here, all that went away, some things you just can not change, yes we were disappointed, yes we were upset, but at the end of the day, we arrived safely and are doing something so many people never get to do.

We will most likely never get back, but I can still cross Disneyland and USA off my travel bucket list.

I emailed Disney again (2nd time) to find out if tarp will come down when walk through is opened on March 3. The answer I got was yes the castle will reopen March 3rd. :jumping1: This is great news for my family as we may see it on our last day in the parks. This makes 3 times someone from Disney has told us that castle will be done/uncovered March 3....still crossing my fingers it works out that way--but its hopeful! :lovestruc

I really really hope this is true! March 3rd is our last park day as well

The tarp is supposed to be up until May 22nd. That is the reveal date for the new castle decorations to go with the anniversary celebration start. The castle entry and exit for Sleeping Beauty walk through will be reopened on March 3rd, but the tarps are supposed to stay on. At least that's how it was explained to me

I would be so disappointed if I booked a trip, waited for months and then when I arrived the castle was all tarped over. I mean I understand they have to do it while working on it but still you do to Disney you expect to see the castle

This is exactly what I think about all of this. When you go to Disney, you expect to see the Castle! I guess my question is "What's taking so long?"

We're going the end of April and are staying positive about the castle. If the tarp is off I'll be happy and we'll get our castle pictures. If the tarp is still on than our castle pictures will be unique. i like the picture on the tarp, at least it's not plain brown anymore.

I'm not too upset about the castle - at least they did a tasteful overlay on the tarp. My family was at WDW in '97 for the 25th anniversary celebration when Cinderella's castle was decorated like a birthday cake, and frankly, I think that was far more hideous than what Sleeping Beauty's Castle at DLR looks like right now. We were pretty disappointed when we saw it, but we turned it into a joke throughout the trip, and we still laugh about it.

The way I look at it is 15 years from now, for the 75th, everyone will be asking for OUR photos. Like someone said earlier, we're really getting a rare look - more so than the completed 60th castle, or the 50th, or any others.

I will be at Disneyland for the first time in April, so I'm pretty disappointed I won't be able to see the Castle. But it's true, it could be worse... I did my College Program in '97 at WDW and all of our official DCP pictures were of the birthday cake castle! It was up during my entire time there. I will never forget it, though :)

Today the tarps are down off the castle due to the Santa Ana winds :thumbsup2 But of course the scaffolding is still up so it still looks hideous.

Oh my god, I love this tarp! Wouldn't be upset if this was what I saw in April!
I know, I was thinking of all the things I would buy if that design were ever printed on something.

Here's what the backside of the tarp looked like yesterday.
FLMVrEC.jpg

I know, I was thinking of all the things I would buy if that design were ever printed on something.

Here's what the backside of the tarp looked like yesterday.
FLMVrEC.jpg

Yes!!! I would honestly buy a big print of that design. The back leaves something to be desired...but ya can't win 'em all!

Today the tarps are down off the castle due to the Santa Ana winds :thumbsup2 But of course the scaffolding is still up so it still looks hideous.
Oh, I was wondering why they were down! It was pretty windy and hot today before we left. Glad to get back to the cooler weather here :D

I am a bit sad about the wishing well area. That was on my bucket list. Oh well just means we will have to go back!

I was there Feb 6th-9th, the castle being covered didn't take away from the trip at all. I mean, it wasn't ideal, and there was a clear reduction in PhotoPass cast members around, but they do a good job with their construction walls/tarps. When the park is open 365 days a year, they have to find time to do construction and renovations. If they didn't, everyone would be complaining that the park is dirty and rundown. It's a give and take.

Reactions: Jee
Yes I agree. Our upcoming trip will be magical regardless...however I'm going to be ALOT more careful when booking a trip in any off season in my future...think I'm one of those that would rather have things open as we travel from quite the distance. All things considered...the timing of this trip does work well for our busy family this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter