• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Customer Service at Disney World?

It looks like a thread that started off bad for you has gotten better and you are getting some good tips.
I agree with those who have said to relax and don't worry so much in advance. Take things as they come. It seems like you are expecting bad things to happen based on the experiences of others. That's precisely why the Internet has been so bad for the magic. In my early days of trips (umpteen years ago) magical moments happened. But as those experiences made it to the Internet, the magic faded because people began to demand them and expect them.
What you are reading is setting up so many expectations that it can get overwhelming.
I learned long ago that someone else's "perfect" is not necessarily mine. I once did the specific request thing, asking for building, location, floor, etc. and I actually got what I asked for....and didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I found myself wishing to be on a lower floor actually, because my feet were burning by the end of the day and the stairs did not help. That was my experience, and because of that I never recommend room locations, because one size does not fit all. Heck, my sister and I who travel together and are so similar, have vastly different ideas of the perfect room location, and often stay far from each other on family trips.

I hope your trip is relaxing and magical and wonderful and that any thing that does not fill your requests or expectations actually turns out to be way more magical than you thought it would be.

Honestly, there is still plenty open.
SOME of that stuff was down when we went on our first time. We barely noticed to be honest. You really cannot do it all in one day, and you WILL enjoy the things you do.
The experience is in the being there, and, to report our experience, it is the being there that we remember, not specific rides or such.
We had ADR waits, but, they did not really cause a problem, we got those buzzers and got a cocktail, or enjoyed the surroundings or whatever.
I will say that, you DO need to plan a WDW vacation. If I hadn't been getting married there and thus found the DIS like, a YEAR in advance or more, then I would not have known that I need to make ADRS 6 months out, or that I need to book fast passes or whatever.
We didn't make a specific room request, but the one we got was just fine and we were comfortable in it.
It really is the over all experience that sticks with you, and I have to say that all the CMs that helped us have a good time (with my son who has ASD) really made a POSITIVE difference.
I can't say what it was like before we went, but, our vacation was memorable without it's a small world, and with ADR waits and without a specific room, and after two long trips, we STILL haven't done everything and are going back again (we also have a will be 4 yr old who has never been before)
You will be fine.
Oh, and we relied totally on Disney transport, and that was fine too, sometimes we waited, but, not often did we wait a LONG time, and you could predict when that would be, park closures and the like.

But again, search for "port Orleans Andre" and go to his site.

Here you go:

http://www.portorleans.org/

As for the king bed, that seems to be your major want. Call back and see if you can switch from "river view" to "King" room type. You will not get a king bed under the "River View" category. You can get a king with a river/pool/garden/std view.

Yep, that's what Andre says to do here:

http://www.portorleans.org/room-locations.php

You can also check out Andre's thread about POR here:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...ort-information-and-questions-thread.3374035/

I think that basically you're not allowed to post links to sites that you would benefit you financially.

I'm pretty positive the guy doesn't know me from Adam. I'd take the money if he paid me but that would never happen.

Stacy

adelaster, I am sorry to hear of your no so good experience with Customer service.
I have contacted them 2 times in the last 10 days and I can't say enough positive
things about them. In fact the first call, I was worried as the first CM transferred
me to another CM and I thought, oh, no, here I go with this pass me around deal. But, no,
after many minutes on the phone with Guest Service and a few people and never being disconnected
my concern/problem was taken care of and I ended up in tears with the solution being with what I really wanted
for my grandson... I am thrilled to have connected with Carolyn Joy and then my second call, a Beverly Ann.
Both ladies were "magical" and were very pleasant.... I was blessed...and had pixie dust sprinkled on me pixiedust:pixiedust:

What should I expect as far as customer service at Disney?

It seems like they leave a lot of things open ended, which makes it a challenge to really hold them to any sort of a standard.

Here are some of the things I have run into in booking and planning our first two night stay:

1 -I wanted to book a riverview room on the top floor in the Magnolia Bend section of Port Orleans Riverside. Specifically Magnolia Terrace building 85 if it was available. Apparently there is no way to actually know what building or section of these resorts you will be in in advance of your visit. This seemed odd to me, and now increases anxiety that it is something I will have to try to alter upon arrival. It seems like this would be an easier thing to sort out six months in advance rather than the day of arrival.

2 -We purchased one day tickets to the Magic Kingdom. This, as you all know, is expensive, as park tickets decrease in cost the more days you purchase them for. This was done in March, and as the year rolled on I learned that several attractions are going to be closed during our visit. More recently I learned that even the Celebrate the Magic light show won't be happening either. The list of "attractions" that we really want to experience is now under ten. Obviously we're going to try to be open minded and positive- but it is a serious bummer. We live far away and this was a huge investment for what is starting to feel like a lot of disappointment.

3-I've read a lot about issues with the transportation on site, and people experiencing long wait times even after making advanced dining reservations. Is this something we should just go in expecting? I had planned on giving us about an hour between going to the bus stop and the time we need to be at the restaurant.

4-Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of the "perks" for staying on site don't apply to a stay as short as ours. Many of these things are not made clear on Disney's official site, but were discovered through reading many fan sites and blogs over the last several months. One example: I was anticipating the ability to buy something in the park and have it sent back to our room. Turns out, that is not an option as it can take two or more days for delivery.

5-A few weeks ago I called in and made a dining reservation through the Disney robot. When I went to enter the confirmation code online, it rejected. So I called the helpline. 45 minutes later, I am told that the number was correct but the robot got my name wrong- despite having read it back to me correctly on the phone. An hour and a half and two transfers later, the reservation is corrected on my account. That seemed really unnecessary. Also, why isn't Disney utilizing the call-back option if their customer service wait times are so bad?

As someone with over 15 years of customer service experience, I am not exactly thrilled with what I've seen so far. What is worth expecting out of this? Would they add a park hopper onto our ticket to compensate for four major attractions being closed during our visit? Would they move our room or discount our rate if we have to be in the area of the resort we really want to avoid? Are dining and transportation really that bad? I wanted so badly to just be excited for this, an opportunity to cut loose and "be kids again" ... but the adult in me is really trepidatious about all of it now. It being such a large and lucrative company I could easily see how they wouldn't care about a single customer's experience, especially when we are not the deluxe resort week long stay kind of money. Thanks in advance for sharing your personal wisdom and experience.

**EDITING FOR CLARITY**

I am not expecting any kind of compensation or special treatment- the above are just examples to get a sense of what the norm is. I now understand a lot more than I did previously, and know that these are not things Disney ever does. When I wrote this I was just throwing out possibilities to get a sense of what was commonplace. They were not things I expected to happen, they were just ideas.

1 there are so many people that go to disney and some time guest do not leave when they say they do I know someone who's child got ver sick the last day of there vacation they were flying home very early the next morning and disney paid for them to stay a few ( I think it was two more night) she the little one could get a little better

also I am sure there are things that need fixing in a room and disney dose not know what a guest will do ( I have heard stories of guest doing a few $1000 of damage to a room) so it could take a few days to fix some thing let alone the normal things that need fixing for normal wear and tear.

2 with so many things to do at the MK you really will not miss out you can not do ever thing in one day any ways. they say things will be closed and then they push is back ( BTMRR was going to be closed in april now it is much latter) so I would not worry about things closing you will have fun ( and ride do break down things close for weather) it happens

3 I love the transportation I do not have to drive and can relax while disney drives for me. can it take some times yes but also driving my self would too, if you think about it there are a couple thousands of people all going to once place ( the MK is the most popular park last time I checked) and disney dose a good job of getting people to the MK, have you ever got to a sporting event that set a few hundred people how long dose it take you to get out, I how ever would give your self some time to get to the park it dose take about an hour to get form the hotel to the park and since you only have one day I would get to the part at opening and stay all day

4 this might be true but you decided to stay and do one day in the park so if they offer EMH on that day great if not how well.

5 sorry never used the robot to make dining reservation

a few things disney is great place they will bend over back wards for you if you let them know what went wrong and you are not rude and demanding the world be given to you ( not saying you are) but I have seen people drop ice-cream soda and be given a new one before they even had time to pick up the dried idem I was staring at the cheapest hotel and was moved to one of the most expensive one not because of any thing disney did but other guest at the hotel. I have been given free food a few times when I was having some medical problems.

with that said go in with an opened mind know it will not be perfect there will be hick ups and bumps in the road you will have long lines you will be tired but you will also have a great time.

We can't cancel for numerous reasons, including nonrefundable flights. However, I am very interested if you have a source for knowing when things will be closed six months or more in advance. I did look, and I did read quite a bit online. I even asked on the phone when I booked. If I am missing some resource, please share it.

You're not alone. Lots of first-time visitors get tripped up by the things you wrote in your original post because WDW is such a different animal to other places you might visit, and just does things the way it does things. Some longtime visitors are very used to these things and may find it hard to identify with how these things might feel to first-timers. So take that for what it's worth. People really are very helpful on the DIS, I promise.

You can make room requests of various kinds, but there's no guarantee they will be honored. Resort and ride refurbishments are sometimes announced well in advance, but more often than not they're not, because of changing circumstances/budget issues/etc. (And unfortunately those short-notice refurb announcements are a thing at Disneyland Resort in California, too.) There's not compensation for ride refurbs because they involve maintenance, cleaning, upgrading, fixing, etc. so you can imagine every ride needs to be regularly refurbed at some point. It's actually rare for everything to be open at the same time unless it's the peak of the peak visitor season. But there's so much else to do in the parks, while it's annoying now, I promise you won't feel like there's nothing to do, and you won't feel like there's no magic or that your visit isn't special.

All of that said, if you really are upset, you should definitely let guest services know. You can call or you can speak to a Cast Member when you check in. You never know, you might receive some "pixie dust" (which is what we call it when a Cast Member helps out in some way or offers something that they don't really have to.) Don't count on it, because as far as WDW is concerned compensation isn't owed to guests for complaints like these. But just be honest and very, very nice when you state your case (because that goes a long way at WDW), and you might be pleasantly surprised. I complained once and got a free three-day deluxe stay out of it. You really never know.

We've vacationed at WDW several times. Each time we've missed out on something we've wanted to do/see...I think it's almost par for the course. Two of our favorite rides are closed during our trip, not to mention, I had to cancel my hubby's reservation due to a work requirement--to me THAT takes the cake as far as kinks in our trip planning this year. But while I am disappointed, I know that my boys and I are still going to have a great time. And so will you!

So stay positive--there's much to enjoy and do to make your trip memorable!

You're not alone. Lots of first-time visitors get tripped up by the things you wrote in your original post because WDW is such a different animal to other places you might visit, and just does things the way it does things. Some longtime visitors are very used to these things and may find it hard to identify with how these things might feel to first-timers. So take that for what it's worth. People really are very helpful on the DIS, I promise.

I really appreciate this. Confusing barely covers what I have been experiencing! There is so much of a fan base built around the parks that someone who is unaware of all the little (unspoken and unlisted) rules and intricacies of a visit is perceived in a negative light. I even got some humorous sass from a cast member on a chat just this morning. Granted, I violated another of those rules by asking if the Main Street Electrical Parade had a schedule. I was perplexed as to why it is showing on the first day of the week and not the rest. Considering the news that it is leaving forever and we really wanted to see it, I asked if there was a way to see it outside of the park or even pay to see it the night before (less than the cost of another full day of tickets). Answer: There is no schedule and you are demanding for asking/sorry I can't move a parade for you. My feeling afterward: Aurgh! I wasn't asking for a parade to be moved, nor was I trying to be demanding! I thought schedules were normal things! It's such an emotionally draining process. You're lead to believe your whole life that there are all these "must see" experiences and when you finally are able to get there it's a sense of being too late and too ignorant to achieve unlocking the experience. For all the cost, effort, and stress involved, I struggle to see where "magic" enters in. I started the process excited and curious, and am entering the actual experience full of regrets, fear, and disappointment in myself for not being from a background where I would know all of this. I started this thread to see what I should expect, not knowing what expectations were. I discovered that I opened a Pandora's box in my attempt to partake in Disney. Its truly intimidating and scary. All of the "norms" I am accustomed to do not apply in this realm, and everything comes at tremendous cost. Yippee to yikes is an accurate description. Our visit will be a new film: Learning Disney: A Journey Full of Hidden Landmines. Starring Princess Taboo and Prince Pariah! :upsidedow

It seems like they leave a lot of things open ended, which makes it a challenge to really hold them to any sort of a standard.

Here are some of the things I have run into in booking and planning our first two night stay:

-I wanted to book a riverview room on the top floor in the Magnolia Bend section of Port Orleans Riverside. Specifically Magnolia Terrace building 85 if it was available. Apparently there is no way to actually know what building or section of these resorts you will be in in advance of your visit. This seemed odd to me, and now increases anxiety that it is something I will have to try to alter upon arrival. It seems like this would be an easier thing to sort out six months in advance rather than the day of arrival.

-We purchased one day tickets to the Magic Kingdom. This, as you all know, is expensive, as park tickets decrease in cost the more days you purchase them for. This was done in March, and as the year rolled on I learned that several attractions are going to be closed during our visit. More recently I learned that even the Celebrate the Magic light show won't be happening either. The list of "attractions" that we really want to experience is now under ten. Obviously we're going to try to be open minded and positive- but it is a serious bummer. We live far away and this was a huge investment for what is starting to feel like a lot of disappointment.

-I've read a lot about issues with the transportation on site, and people experiencing long wait times even after making advanced dining reservations. Is this something we should just go in expecting? I had planned on giving us about an hour between going to the bus stop and the time we need to be at the restaurant.

-Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of the "perks" for staying on site don't apply to a stay as short as ours. Many of these things are not made clear on Disney's official site, but were discovered through reading many fan sites and blogs over the last several months. One example: I was anticipating the ability to buy something in the park and have it sent back to our room. Turns out, that is not an option as it can take two or more days for delivery.

-A few weeks ago I called in and made a dining reservation through the Disney robot. When I went to enter the confirmation code online, it rejected. So I called the helpline. 45 minutes later, I am told that the number was correct but the robot got my name wrong- despite having read it back to me correctly on the phone. An hour and a half and two transfers later, the reservation is corrected on my account. That seemed really unnecessary. Also, why isn't Disney utilizing the call-back option if their customer service wait times are so bad?

As someone with over 15 years of customer service experience, I am not exactly thrilled with what I've seen so far. What is worth expecting out of this? Would they add a park hopper onto our ticket to compensate for four major attractions being closed during our visit? Would they move our room or discount our rate if we have to be in the area of the resort we really want to avoid? Are dining and transportation really that bad? I wanted so badly to just be excited for this, an opportunity to cut loose and "be kids again" ... but the adult in me is really trepidatious about all of it now. It being such a large and lucrative company I could easily see how they wouldn't care about a single customer's experience, especially when we are not the deluxe resort week long stay kind of money. Thanks in advance for sharing your personal wisdom and experience.

**EDITING FOR CLARITY**

I am not expecting any kind of compensation or special treatment- the above are just examples to get a sense of what the norm is. I now understand a lot more than I did previously, and know that these are not things Disney ever does. When I wrote this I was just throwing out possibilities to get a sense of what was commonplace. They were not things I expected to happen, they were just ideas.

Hi Adelaster. Planning a Disney vacation can be very confusing, and very frustrating at times. I guess the good thing is that you found out some of those things before the trip. I completely understand what you are saying. You want the most wonderful, amazing time for your family, and you are paying a lot to get it. Getting there and finding out your rides are closed, and you can't get packages sent to your room, etc. would be disappointing to say the least. When you get there, I know you will have an amazing time, and forget all about the other things. Just go with the mind set that you can't do it all in one day, and what ever happens go with the flow. Before long you will be planning your next vacation, and dreaming of Disney. Most Disney "Cast Members", (aka: employees), are wonderful, and will answer your questions with a smile. When they can, they will try to meet your needs, and desires. Don't let others bring you down. Your family is about to embark on an amazing adventure. Enjoy!!!

Ultimately, it appears I just picked a terrible time to visit. I am also discovering there is little I could have done to predict this the six months or more in advance that you need to book things.

At this point, it is just sad-funny. The crane is going to be up in Magic Kingdom during our visit, which is apparently another misfortune.

I really don't understand the Disney schedule, and truly wish I could get a straight answer about it from someone on their management/decision-making staff.

For example, this is a list of entertainment available in park exactly one week before we arrive:
Captain Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial
Casey's Corner Pianist
Citizens of Main Street
The Dapper Dans
Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade 3:00 pm
Electrical Water Pageant 10:35 pm
Flag Retreat 5:00 pm
#INCREDIBLESSuperDanceParty
Magic Kingdom Welcome Show 8:40 am
Main Street Electrical Parade 9:00 pm
Main Street Philharmonic at Main Street, U.S.A. 3:55 pm
Main Street Philharmonic at Storybook Circus
Main Street Trolley Show
Meet Alice in Wonderland at the Mad Tea Party
Meet an Out of this World Friend in Tommorowland
Meet Ariel at Her Grotto
Meet Characters from Aladdin in Adventureland
Meet Cinderella and a Visiting Princess
Meet Daring Disney Pals as Circus Stars at Pete's Silly Sideshow
Meet Disney Friends in Town Square
Meet Gaston near his Tavern
Meet Magnifique Disney Friends as Circus Stars at Pete's Silly Sideshow
Meet Merida at Fairytale Garden
Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
Meet Peter Pan in Fantasyland
Meet Rapunzel and a Visiting Princess
Meet Tigger and Friends near the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Meet Tinkerbell at Town Square Theater
Meet Toy Story Friends in Frontierland
Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire
Move It! Shake It! Dance and Play It! Street Party
The Notorious Banjo Brothers and Bob
Princess Elena Royal Welcome
The Royal Majesty Makers
Wishes Nighttime Spectacular 9:00 pm

This is the list a week later, when we are going:
Disney Fantasy of Festival Parade 3:00 pm
Meet Ariel at Her Grotto

At this point nothing can be done. I don't think I'm crazy for feeling frustrated and disappointed by this experience so far. We're paying just as much as everyone else, and getting a fraction of the entertainment. I've got to let it go, but seriously, I do feel like I got misled.

Ultimately, it appears I just picked a terrible time to visit. I am also discovering there is little I could have done to predict this the six months or more in advance that you need to book things.

At this point, it is just sad-funny. The crane is going to be up in Magic Kingdom during our visit, which is apparently another misfortune.

I really don't understand the Disney schedule, and truly wish I could get a straight answer about it from someone on their management/decision-making staff.

For example, this is a list of entertainment available in park exactly one week before we arrive:
Casey's Corner Pianist
Citizens of Main Street
The Dapper Dans
Main Street Trolley Show
Meet Ariel at Her Grotto
The Royal Majesty Makers

Meet Ariel at Her Grotto

At this point nothing can be done. I don't think I'm crazy for feeling frustrated and disappointed by this experience so far. We're paying just as much as everyone else, and getting a fraction of the entertainment. I've got to let it go, but seriously, I do feel like I got misled.

Hello again, Adelaster. If I were going the week before you are, I would be ecstatic! If I were going the same you week you are, I would feel ecstatic! Why? Most of the things that are not being offered in your week are "Meet and Greets", or Parades. It sounds like your week - they are predicting smaller crowds. At least that is my thought. The Meet and Greets are time takers. Do you want to stand in line for 2 hours? A couple of years ago, I stood in line with a 6 year old, made it to the front of the line, and our character went on a break, and the line shut down. If you are really set on meeting a certain character - then a great way to do that is to go to one of the character meals where you sit, eat, and the character comes to your table, and gives you undivided attention. We skip it completely, but that is just us. Parades are great, but they are going on all day long it seems. Now you, my friend, will walk into the park, and hear the music that is constant no matter the time of year, you will breathe in great food smells, and eat all day long. You will see characters everywhere. There will be so many rides, and things to do, you will not have time for it all. You will not miss any of the things you mentioned above. These are all extras, but the real fun is just being there. It is not an amusement park, it is an experience that goes far beyond that. Again, I say, "You are about to embark on an amazing experience"
Try going to some of the youtube videos with a park walk about. Trust me, you are not going to miss a thing. Can I pretty please come?

Casey's Corner Pianist
Citizens of Main Street
The Dapper Dans
Main Street Trolley Show
Meet Ariel at Her Grotto
The Royal Majesty Makers

Meet Ariel at Her Grotto

The entertainment list your week will be significantly longer, even if it isn't showing on some website right this moment. For instance, the list you posted for your week doesn't show the Flag Retreat - that happens 365 days a year. Trust me, it will happen during your day at MK. I bet there are a bunch more character M&Gs as well, even if they aren't showing on the schedule. Etc and so on. I don't know what website you are checking, but there will be well more than one day's worth of entertainment to get through, even during WDW's heaviest refurbishment period. That's why many people choose to spend 2-3 days at MK each trip. You aren't getting a fraction of the entertainment, you will get more than you can possibly see.

Also, and I'm completely NOT trying to be rude here, but I feel like everybody on this thread has been really trying to help you understand so I'm not sure what information you are still trying to get from "management/decision-making staff." Is something still unclear?

The entertainment list your week will be significantly longer, even if it isn't showing on some website right this moment. For instance, the list you posted for your week doesn't show the Flag Retreat - that happens 365 days a year. Trust me, it will happen during your day at MK. I bet there are a bunch more character M&Gs as well, even if they aren't showing on the schedule. Etc and so on. I don't know what website you are checking, but there will be well more than one day's worth of entertainment to get through, even during WDW's heaviest refurbishment period. That's why many people choose to spend 2-3 days at MK each trip. You aren't getting a fraction of the entertainment, you will get more than you can possibly see.

Also, and I'm completely NOT trying to be rude here, but I feel like everybody on this thread has been really trying to help you understand so I'm not sure what information you are still trying to get from "management/decision-making staff." Is something still unclear?

Not rude at all! I'm using Disney's website. I guess that is also what is still unclear. We're visiting in under two weeks and the schedule is still subject to as much change as you describe above? This whole planning experience is really confusing- as a first timer it's mixed messaging to the extreme. Plan everything six months in advance when information that is needed to do so isn't available until days before you have to leave? The whole experience has been nothing like I expected and truly baffles me. Hopefully once we arrive at MCO it will be smooth sailing... but I feel nervous and nothing leading to this point has reassured me otherwise. You could say it is purely for informational/research purposes- but I would like to know who is manning this ship and why they are running it as they are. The more I read on these boards the more I discover there is no consistent experience at Disney, and this intrigues me. The more trip reports I read, I discover that even the perfect planners usually don't get to follow their plans. I am approaching this experimentally, but unfortunately some of my more juvenile aspirations are evoked by nature of having grown up in a heavily Disney-influenced society. I imagine main-street as it looked in a grainy sing-a-long video from the early 90's that I watched repeatedly; people were singing and dancing in historic costume. Words like "magic" and "bubble" are attributed to that space in Florida and Anaheim. I've worked alongside others where a trip to Disney was considered the ultimate parental achievement. Thus the past inevitably colors the present. This has been unlike any other travel I have planned, and far more difficult-seemingly necessarily so. So yeah, essentially I just want to better understand the nature of this. That's my approach to anything in life that causes an impulse reaction that could be construed as negative. People clearly love this place, and that is encouraging. Determining the factors in the experience was a motivation in posting, and there are still many things I can't quantify or qualify. What laws apply here, what factors are at play? Why is a schedule beyond reason? When I recognize my ignorance it is usually a goal to correct it. On a baser level I am uncomfortable with knowing rope drop at 8:40 a.m. is a "must-see" but when making dining reservations as early as possible we were relegated to 7:50 a.m. at 'Ohana, which apparently can seat you anywhere from ten minutes to an hour after reservation time, and whose reviews are so varied it is hard to know what you'll get. I am not used to that kind of uncertainty in a plan made in advance. What is a cultural norm at Disney is to me a foreign stressor. Hopefully that makes some sense- so many people on here are frequent and long-time visitors it is a challenge to relate.

Okay, let's take these issues one by one. You are wayyyy overthinking this...and overstressing it.

Not rude at all! I'm using Disney's website. I guess that is also what is still unclear. We're visiting in under two weeks and the schedule is still subject to as much change as you describe above? This whole planning experience is really confusing- as a first timer it's mixed messaging to the extreme. Plan everything six months in advance when information that is needed to do so isn't available until days before you have to leave?

I went on the Disney website and it lists lots and lots of entertainment. I think when you said earlier "This is the list a week later, when we are going:" you were only counting the things that actually had hours planned, correct? Think of this like a fast food restaurant. The restaurant knows when they are going to be open, but they don't actually write the schedule for the individual employees until about 1.5 weeks ahead of time. So the guy who does the inventory might be scheduled at 8am, or he might not get in until 10am because they need him to stay until 6pm that day. But the inventory will get done. The same thing is happening here. Disney knows the MK will be open at 9am, but they haven't yet developed the schedule for each individual worker. This is why many of the M&Gs aren't scheduled yet, because very specific CMs work those and they have to wait until the schedule for each CM is available to publicly post the M&Gs. But without a doubt, there will be a Mickey M&G that day...sometimes several. Remember that many CMs are hourly workers with varying schedules. Every time I've worked a job like that, I knew the work schedule wouldn't be published until ~1-1.5 weeks beforehand. Look at it like that and you will understand the schedule better.

TL : DR - the entertainment will happen, but you might not know the exact times until a week or so before the event. That's okay. If you are trying to plan your MK day down to the minute, you are just going to upset yourself both now and on the day you are there. You'll never feel the Disney magic if you are stressed about being in exactly the right spot at exactly the right moment.

The whole experience has been nothing like I expected and truly baffles me. Hopefully once we arrive at MCO it will be smooth sailing... but I feel nervous and nothing leading to this point has reassured me otherwise.

Many people just wing it and like Disney just fine. Others plan a lot, and get a lot more done, but those people are more experienced. If you don't like the planning experience, just approach this vacation like any other. Have a general idea of what you want to do and what you want to see, and show up. You'll be fine. Those of us that spend dozens of hours planning our Disney vacations are the DisNerds who get a kick out of it. If you don't like it, don't do it.

You could say it is purely for informational/research purposes- but I would like to know who is manning this ship and why they are running it as they are. The more I read on these boards the more I discover there is no consistent experience at Disney, and this intrigues me. The more trip reports I read, I discover that even the perfect planners usually don't get to follow their plans.

The best response to that is "no plan survives first contact with the enemy." In the real world, people are going to run 10 min off schedule or discover that 100 people beat them to the Splash Mountain line. No planning can prevent that because you are dealing with 50,000-100,000 other visitors at the same time, and you can't control them. Remember that if someone is taking the time to write a trip report, they are probably a DisNerd that has been on trip after trip so they obviously like Disney. As somebody already mentioned - they aren't going to gush over every time they got into a reservation on time or only had to wait for 5 minutes in the Dole Whip line. People don't gush when things go right. That's human nature. Just keep thinking - "man, if people are willing to dedicate this much time to a theme park then it must be pretty great."

I am approaching this experimentally, but unfortunately some of my more juvenile aspirations are evoked by nature of having grown up in a heavily Disney-influenced society. I imagine main-street as it looked in a grainy sing-a-long video from the early 90's that I watched repeatedly; people were singing and dancing in historic costume. Words like "magic" and "bubble" are attributed to that space in Florida and Anaheim. I've worked alongside others where a trip to Disney was considered the ultimate parental achievement. Thus the past inevitably colors the present.

All of that is still true, and still happens...if you are willing to see it.

This has been unlike any other travel I have planned, and far more difficult-seemingly necessarily so. So yeah, essentially I just want to better understand the nature of this. That's my approach to anything in life that causes an impulse reaction that could be construed as negative. People clearly love this place, and that is encouraging. Determining the factors in the experience was a motivation in posting, and there are still many things I can't quantify or qualify. What laws apply here, what factors are at play? Why is a schedule beyond reason? When I recognize my ignorance it is usually a goal to correct it.

I think I've answered all of this above.

On a baser level I am uncomfortable with knowing rope drop at 8:40 a.m. is a "must-see" but when making dining reservations as early as possible we were relegated to 7:50 a.m. at 'Ohana, which apparently can seat you anywhere from ten minutes to an hour after reservation time, and whose reviews are so varied it is hard to know what you'll get. I am not used to that kind of uncertainty in a plan made in advance. What is a cultural norm at Disney is to me a foreign stressor. Hopefully that makes some sense- so many people on here are frequent and long-time visitors it is a challenge to relate.

0% of Disney World is a "must see." What people mean by that is that it is a must see to them. I've been to WDW 5 times and I haven't seen a rope drop yet, because my family moves like molasses. It has ruined exactly none of my trips. If you think 'Ohana reviews are varied, check out the reviews for your favorite restaurant at home - anytime you have more than about 15 people review a place you will see the same variance. Different people like different things. If you are worried about the meal at 'Ohana, don't eat at 'Ohana. Or eat at 'Ohana and miss rope drop. Or make rope drop and then go to 'Ohana later. Do whatever you want! This is your trip, plan what you want to do and stop stressing out because a stranger on the internet recommended something that doesn't jive well with your plan.

It seems like you are trying to book "the perfect trip," and people got upset at the beginning of this thread because you started out with "what will happen if everything is not exactly the way I want it?" The perfect trip doesn't exist. But Disney will give you a great experience if you let them. Their customer service is heads and shoulders over any place I've ever worked and any vacation I've ever been on, but there are still real world limits to what they can do. Make sure you have your FP+ lined up and any ADRs you want, then accept that the rest of the time will be spent wandering around the World being distracted by everything glittery and awesome and at the end of the day you will be so exhausted from doing SO MUCH that you will look back at this thread and laugh at yourself for ever being concerned that you couldn't fill 12 hours.

Okay, let's take these issues one by one. You are wayyyy overthinking this...and overstressing it.

I went on the Disney website and it lists lots and lots of entertainment. I think when you said earlier "This is the list a week later, when we are going:" you were only counting the things that actually had hours planned, correct? Think of this like a fast food restaurant. The restaurant knows when they are going to be open, but they don't actually write the schedule for the individual employees until about 1.5 weeks ahead of time. So the guy who does the inventory might be scheduled at 8am, or he might not get in until 10am because they need him to stay until 6pm that day. But the inventory will get done. The same thing is happening here. Disney knows the MK will be open at 9am, but they haven't yet developed the schedule for each individual worker. This is why many of the M&Gs aren't scheduled yet, because very specific CMs work those and they have to wait until the schedule for each CM is available to publicly post the M&Gs. But without a doubt, there will be a Mickey M&G that day...sometimes several. Remember that many CMs are hourly workers with varying schedules. Every time I've worked a job like that, I knew the work schedule wouldn't be published until ~1-1.5 weeks beforehand. Look at it like that and you will understand the schedule better.

TL : DR - the entertainment will happen, but you might not know the exact times until a week or so before the event. That's okay. If you are trying to plan your MK day down to the minute, you are just going to upset yourself both now and on the day you are there. You'll never feel the Disney magic if you are stressed about being in exactly the right spot at exactly the right moment.

Many people just wing it and like Disney just fine. Others plan a lot, and get a lot more done, but those people are more experienced. If you don't like the planning experience, just approach this vacation like any other. Have a general idea of what you want to do and what you want to see, and show up. You'll be fine. Those of us that spend dozens of hours planning our Disney vacations are the DisNerds who get a kick out of it. If you don't like it, don't do it.

The best response to that is "no plan survives first contact with the enemy." In the real world, people are going to run 10 min off schedule or discover that 100 people beat them to the Splash Mountain line. No planning can prevent that because you are dealing with 50,000-100,000 other visitors at the same time, and you can't control them. Remember that if someone is taking the time to write a trip report, they are probably a DisNerd that has been on trip after trip so they obviously like Disney. As somebody already mentioned - they aren't going to gush over every time they got into a reservation on time or only had to wait for 5 minutes in the Dole Whip line. People don't gush when things go right. That's human nature. Just keep thinking - "man, if people are willing to dedicate this much time to a theme park then it must be pretty great."

All of that is still true, and still happens...if you are willing to see it.

I think I've answered all of this above.

0% of Disney World is a "must see." What people mean by that is that it is a must see to them. I've been to WDW 5 times and I haven't seen a rope drop yet, because my family moves like molasses. It has ruined exactly none of my trips. If you think 'Ohana reviews are varied, check out the reviews for your favorite restaurant at home - anytime you have more than about 15 people review a place you will see the same variance. Different people like different things. If you are worried about the meal at 'Ohana, don't eat at 'Ohana. Or eat at 'Ohana and miss rope drop. Or make rope drop and then go to 'Ohana later. Do whatever you want! This is your trip, plan what you want to do and stop stressing out because a stranger on the internet recommended something that doesn't jive well with your plan.

It seems like you are trying to book "the perfect trip," and people got upset at the beginning of this thread because you started out with "what will happen if everything is not exactly the way I want it?" The perfect trip doesn't exist. But Disney will give you a great experience if you let them. Their customer service is heads and shoulders over any place I've ever worked and any vacation I've ever been on, but there are still real world limits to what they can do. Make sure you have your FP+ lined up and any ADRs you want, then accept that the rest of the time will be spent wandering around the World being distracted by everything glittery and awesome and at the end of the day you will be so exhausted from doing SO MUCH that you will look back at this thread and laugh at yourself for ever being concerned that you couldn't fill 12 hours.

I truly appreciate your thorough response. If I seem overly concerned with perfection it is likely for two reasons. One, the first several comments on this thread told me that I was a terrible planner and other such remarks. The thread was edited by a moderator a while back after comments crossed the line, so I am not sure how many of the more nasty remarks are still visible. I really did try to do this "right" and I am not someone who likes being perceived as "bad" or apathetic. Two, I am taking my husband with me- and this is really not his cup of tea. He likes some Disney films, but mostly the ones pre-1990s, and he is not a fan of show-tunes, acapella style music, crowds, or theme parks in general (negative experiences as a child at coaster parks). With that in mind, I want the experience to be as pleasant as possible so that he can still enjoy the experience even if the substance is not his favorite. On most trips together I can coordinate things so he really enjoys himself- there's enough "unknowns" here that I can't do that. I've gotten him excited about this, and I don't want to be made into a liar for false promise of pleasure.

The perspective you bring to the table is a good one. I had friends in the Disney College program and I know they worked really long, hard, ridiculous hours. I guess I assumed it was the staff that was assigned last, and that the character appearances were slotted regardless. Perhaps it is the other way around. It is also useful to know that people here are detailing every nanosecond because that is what brings them joy, and that I do not have to replicate that. Again, you see so much about doing Disney "wrong" and I didn't want to be one of those people. As for restaurant reviews- I am that obnoxious person who checks like four review sites and only tend to eat at places with a near perfect score. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, but I do look for quality and prefer independently owned establishments. My expectations are lowered for Disney- I am expecting more of a fast food experience than a locally sourced organic vibe, for example. Still, when you're paying over $30 per person (I could see how this perspective shifts if you are on a dining plan) I like to know what to expect. For context, I am ordinarily uncomfortable paying above $10 for a meal out, and mostly cook at home. $40 for two is big restaurant spending. But hey, vacation. (Relaxing is not my strong point, I am kind of a thrifty workaholic worrywart.) The husband gets "hangry" (disgruntled when unfed) and I am on an unpleasant medication that requires certain food habits, so meals and their contents are somewhat important. Again, the need is not for anything glamorous, but something reliable and respectable. Hopefully I've "planned" the right amount to make that a reality. Certainly I was ignorant going into this how important food-planning is at Disney.

0% of Disney World is a "must see."

I love this, and I will make it my mantra going in. It's so easy to drown in all the information and commands that this is a great reality check. After all, the end hope is to have fun. Disney is such a loaded experience that it is easy to forget that in the midst of everyone else. Letting the expectations, the touring plans, and the online comments go is probably for the best.

-I wanted to book a riverview room on the top floor in the Magnolia Bend section of Port Orleans Riverside. Specifically Magnolia Terrace building 85 if it was available. Apparently there is no way to actually know what building or section of these resorts you will be in in advance of your visit. This seemed odd to me, and now increases anxiety that it is something I will have to try to alter upon arrival. It seems like this would be an easier thing to sort out six months in advance rather than the day of arrival.

-We purchased one day tickets to the Magic Kingdom. This, as you all know, is expensive, as park tickets decrease in cost the more days you purchase them for. This was done in March, and as the year rolled on I learned that several attractions are going to be closed during our visit. More recently I learned that even the Celebrate the Magic light show won't be happening either. The list of "attractions" that we really want to experience is now under ten. Obviously we're going to try to be open minded and positive- but it is a serious bummer. We live far away and this was a huge investment for what is starting to feel like a lot of disappointment.

-I've read a lot about issues with the transportation on site, and people experiencing long wait times even after making advanced dining reservations. Is this something we should just go in expecting? I had planned on giving us about an hour between going to the bus stop and the time we need to be at the restaurant.

-Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of the "perks" for staying on site don't apply to a stay as short as ours. Many of these things are not made clear on Disney's official site, but were discovered through reading many fan sites and blogs over the last several months. One example: I was anticipating the ability to buy something in the park and have it sent back to our room. Turns out, that is not an option as it can take two or more days for delivery.

-A few weeks ago I called in and made a dining reservation through the Disney robot. When I went to enter the confirmation code online, it rejected. So I called the helpline. 45 minutes later, I am told that the number was correct but the robot got my name wrong- despite having read it back to me correctly on the phone. An hour and a half and two transfers later, the reservation is corrected on my account. That seemed really unnecessary. Also, why isn't Disney utilizing the call-back option if their customer service wait times are so bad?

**EDITING FOR CLARITY**

I seem to have come to this thread a bit late, but read through the whole thing. Yes, I think some people were a bit harsh with you, especially after you tried to explain and correct your statements in the best way possible. I think many people here are really Disney fanatics, like me, but some seem way overprotective of the mouse almost going overboard. But it looks like the thread has gotten a bit more positive for you!

One thing I can say in agreement with most who replied here is that thorough research before booking the trip is almost a must these days, because things change at WDW almost overnight. Since you mentioned attraction closures bothered you, research is a must when planning your WDW trip. Generally, closures will be announced with enough time so that you can make your planning decisions beforehand. Here is a link to one site that covers yearly park attraction closures: https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/closures. They are usually pretty accurate. Granted, surprises to come up, like Disney announcing at the last minute that the Main Street Electrical Parade will be no more after October 9. This ticked off a lot of people...me included. But one thing has been true since the first time I have been to WDW in 1980: there will always be a closed ride on any given trip. They need to keep the place going and that means maintenance that can only be done by closing a ride to refurbish it. Personally, I'd refuse to get on Space Mountain if it has not been maintained! Looking at the list of the attractions closed and looking on the link I posted here, indeed, you seem to be going on a bad month, as a few ride closures seem to overlap, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad being closed the longest for something ridiculous like three months. But based on what you've written, this is not a ride I'd see you going on anyway. The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse is great, but not a deal breaker. My fear is that they may be making it into a Tarzan tree house! (don't quote me on it, it is just my fear, not any rumor I've heard).

As far as resort room requests, that can be tricky. You can always request nicely, but make sure your request is not ridiculous (like "no rooms that add up to 13" or things like that). However, if you have a disability or medical issue, they take this seriously and will accommodate you the best way they can, like some people who cannot walk much and need a room near an elevator, etc. I actually called to make a simple request for my PORS room to be, if possible, on the Magnolia Bend side of the resort, which is a pretty broad request that can be easily met. But I started my conversation with the Cast Member this way: "Hi, I would like to make a room request, if possible. I understand you may not be able to accommodate this, and it is perfectly OK, but I figured I would try....." She was really nice and noted my reservation request. If you're really nice to them and let them know you'll be happy either way, they will often go out of their way to help you. Also, keep in mind Disney has been making really bad cuts and Cast Members are hurting with cut hours and the like, so getting in their faces will probably not yield a happy ending for anyone involved. They're getting kicked by their employer and kicked by the customer...I really feel for them. I also have had CM friends through the years and the horror stories I have heard from them as to how some park visitors treat them would make me go on a rampage had it been me. When I can, I thank CM's for their job and for making my stay so magical. Believe me, for some CM's, working at Disney is when the fairy dust runs out.

Also, while this is Disney and truly magical for us visitors, it is still the real world. We forget that sometimes. Our beds are not turned out by singing mice and birds. Granted, it is Disney's fault, because they WANT us to believe the magic, and so sometimes we forget they are an actual corporation. But, being in the real world means something is bound to not work out just as we want it (and it will generally happen when we're there). I know Disney will go out of their way to make up for things within reason. However, it is really up to us to roll with the punches. Cast Members will generally be great, but I have experienced CM's who really could not give a flying fig that I was there. A case in point was when I went to WDW in 2011, after not having been there for 13 years. When I got to the park, I realized the Main Street Electrical Parade was back. I was so elated, I was bursting at the seems. So, the first CM I bumped into, who was walking around, I HAD to tell her how incredible this was for me, that I had not seen the MSEP since I was 12, in 1980, and I was over the moon over this. That was when I realized that I mistook her for someone who cared.... Her response was less than excited. She really did not seem to give a mouse's behind about my excitement. That was a let down for me. The last time I had been at WDW years before, the CM morale was a bit different. But, I moved on...somewhat.

Overall, I hope you DO go back, with more planning beforehand. It is truly, as their park opening song goes, "Magic wrapped up in pixie dust" if we allow it to be.

pluto:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter