• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

So they reduce ten minutes from the current wait time and now will delay ten minutes from booking next time.

Who here thinks the code of 10 minutes simply just be deleted?
I have not personally used DAS, so confused as to the current process...is it currently the same as a LL/Genie+ user where after the second scan point (on most attractions) you select your next ride? New system would have you wait 10 minutes after the second scan point if I'm reading this right?

For a lot of people who use DAS we’ve been saying we can’t select a new ride until after we’re off anyway because we’re helping and situating the disabled person. And the LL is often 10 min or more on those attractions anyway.
I think the new rule about not being able to book another DAS Return Time until 10 minutes after scanning in for the current one won't affect the majority of DAS users.

It will affect the guests who were trying to maximize the number of attractions they could do in a day with DAS. Some are honestly disabled people, but many trying to do that are fakers. I have not watched any of the Tik-Tok videos, but I've seen multiple Facebook posts referencing the 'hints' that can be found on Tik-Tok telling how to combine Genie+, DAS and hints about scanning into attractions to be able to cut a few minutes at each attraction.
Apologies if been answered, but everytime look at this thread, it seems another 20 pages added! LOL. How will Disney know if someone faked a condition to get DAS?
I haven't watched Tik-Tok videos, but I've read things about them and seen Facebook posts and live videos where people detailed exactly how they faked a disability to receive DAS, which were easiest to fake and how to maximize use.
There were also posts about how to get multiple people in their group registered for DAS. It was not unusual to see posts where people reported 4 out of 6 members of their family qualified for DAS, with each having 5 different 'extended family members' linked to their DAS. Their question was how to make sure all 24 members of their group got the same DAS Return Time.

Im sure Disney has been watching Tik-Tok, Facebook and Internet posts to find fakers and people abusing DAS.
My personal opinion is that Disney pulled the warning about penalties for faking from being hidden to front and center when they first made the announcement to put some of those people on notice that Disney will be looking for them.
That is the 64 quadrillion dollar question. I'm sure Disney won't share how or what they know though because that would give cheaters a heads up.
Agree
Hopefully more will be posted specifically, because of right now they aren't showing much at all for anyone with IBD conditions. It's a little disheartening having planned a vacation back at the beginning of the year because don't have the ability to just show up whenever like an AP and I had no time to adjust how I usually had to plan for the trip to deal with my UC. Another month of excruciating waiting to expect (probably) vastly adjusted program for people with IBDs from the rumors in this thread (return to queue as one option).

They specifically are trying to help others, with DDs being listed only in DAS and in assisting programs they wrote 2 overall types of disabilities with internal disabilities lacking:

Some of the programs described below provide accommodations that may be required for specific types of mental or physical impairments.
I do think there will be more details about different accommodations than are currently on the Disney websites.
I don't think they will specifically list 'these are the accommodations for IBS' or any other condition. No diagnosis or condition automatically qualifies for DAS or the accommodations being offered.
It appears they will be offering individualized accommodations based on the interview/registration. So, people with the same diagnosis, but different needs might have different combinations of accommodations.

I’m trying to figure out if the new 10 minute waiting period goes into effect now or starting May 20th? We have a trip May 12th-15th. Just trying to be prepared. That extra 10 minutes along with longer LL queues might make a significant impact for us.
I've seen 1 report that the 10 minute waiting period will start 5/20 at WDW. But that party's visit doesn't start until 5/20 anyway.

I thought I'd seen another report over the weekend that party-size limit, valid length and the 10-minute wait were all in effect already. But I'm not finding that post at the moment to confirm.

I've seen 1 report that the 10 minute waiting period will start 5/20 at WDW. But that party's visit doesn't start until 5/20 anyway.

I thought I'd seen another report over the weekend that party-size limit, valid length and the 10-minute wait were all in effect already. But I'm not finding that post at the moment to confirm.
I arrive 5/21 and the CM told me the 10 min wait will be in effect.

I think the new rule about not being able to book another DAS Return Time until 10 minutes after scanning in for the current one won't affect the majority of DAS users.

It will affect the guests who were trying to maximize the number of attractions they could do in a day with DAS. Some are honestly disabled people, but many trying to do that are fakers. I have not watched any of the Tik-Tok videos, but I've seen multiple Facebook posts referencing the 'hints' that can be found on Tik-Tok telling how to combine Genie+, DAS and hints about scanning into attractions to be able to cut a few minutes at each attraction.

I haven't watched Tik-Tok videos, but I've read things about them and seen Facebook posts and live videos where people detailed exactly how they faked a disability to receive DAS, which were easiest to fake and how to maximize use.
There were also posts about how to get multiple people in their group registered for DAS. It was not unusual to see posts where people reported 4 out of 6 members of their family qualified for DAS, with each having 5 different 'extended family members' linked to their DAS. Their question was how to make sure all 24 members of their group got the same DAS Return Time.

Im sure Disney has been watching Tik-Tok, Facebook and Internet posts to find fakers and people abusing DAS.
My personal opinion is that Disney pulled the warning about penalties for faking from being hidden to front and center when they first made the announcement to put some of those people on notice that Disney will be looking for them.

Agree

I do think there will be more details about different accommodations than are currently on the Disney websites.
I don't think they will specifically list 'these are the accommodations for IBS' or any other condition. No diagnosis or condition automatically qualifies for DAS or the accommodations being offered.
It appears they will be offering individualized accommodations based on the interview/registration. So, people with the same diagnosis, but different needs might have different combinations of accommodations.
I guess I won't truly know until my scheduled registration around mid-July unless:
A) someone first hand in my same situation shares it on here
B) they update the website showing something specific

venturing into the unknown, I haven't gone into a Disney vacation with so much uncertainty since 2017

So they reduce ten minutes from the current wait time and now will delay ten minutes from booking next time.

Currently, DAS Return Times are set to reflect the currently posted wait time, minus 10 minutes. The posted wait time is supposed to equal the time waiting from the time the guest enters the line until they board (we know these are not always totally accurate, but that's what it's based on).
That 10 minutes is to try to equalize the wait time since guests using DAS will be waiting again in the Lightning Lane (LL). People are already complaining of sometimes waiting more than 10 minutes in the LL
I don't think that 10 minutes will change because of why it was started. Also, all the computer programming in place would need to be changed.

My understand is that the new requirement to wait until 10 minutes after scanning into the line is also an attempt to equalize the 'DAS' wait to the Standby Line wait. Guests in the Standby Line can't wait in another Standby Line until they are out of the first attraction.

I have not personally used DAS, so confused as to the current process...is it currently the same as a LL/Genie+ user where after the second scan point (on most attractions) you select your next ride? New system would have you wait 10 minutes after the second scan point if I'm reading this right?
Guests using DAS were previously able to book/select another DAS Return Time as soon as they scanned into the attraction (and the second scan if there was one).
You are correct that the new system will require a 10 minute wait after scanning into the attraction.

I saw the same things, but between all the posts on this thread and other places I've been following, I can't find it right now.

So true. Of all the iffy maybe new rules, this doesn't faze me a bit. Most people, it seems, are worried the end times allowed of DAS (none) vs Genie + ( 1 hour).

Currently, DAS Return Times are set to reflect the currently posted wait time, minus 10 minutes. The posted wait time is supposed to equal the time waiting from the time the guest enters the line until they board (we know these are not always totally accurate, but that's what it's based on).
That 10 minutes is to try to equalize the wait time since guests using DAS will be waiting again in the Lightning Lane (LL). People are already complaining of sometimes waiting more than 10 minutes in the LL
I don't think that 10 minutes will change because of why it was started. Also, all the computer programming in place would need to be changed.

My understand is that the new requirement to wait until 10 minutes after scanning into the line is also an attempt to equalize the 'DAS' wait to the Standby Line wait. Guests in the Standby Line can't wait in another Standby Line until they are out of the first attraction.
All true - it's time neutral is my point. eg: tap into ride. wait 10minutes; then get 10minutes deducted from ride selection = zero minutes.

So WHY program and more coding to the program. Simply remove the code of the -10minutes from book selection. Just more code to break.

Odd question, but if I’m doing the interview on behalf of my adult son, (he will be in room and available for photo) do I need to be logged into his MDE account? (We are obviously connected as friends and family and will be traveling as a duo.
For my adult son, I logged him into his MDE account and did the waiting on hold until it was time. Then he did all of the discussion.

• Does your trip start before or after the 'new rules' date? If before, are all the days of your trip before?
  • What kind of tickets? Did your ticket type require park reservations? Only date based tickets don't require reservations
  • Does the person you did registration for fit into the category of developmental disability (autism or similar) that is listed on the website or some other issues/concerns with waiting in the regular lines? REMINDER: don't post specific diagnosis, symptoms or conditions, just 'yes' or 'other'
  • Did the person end up registered for DAS or other accommodations? If other accommodations, do they sound like they will meet the needs?
May 6-9, with May 7-8 being park days, so all under the "old" rules.

Friends and Family park hopper tickets through DD's DCP, so park reservations were needed. He was able to request advanced selections based on our 2 park reservations.

Other condition, but closer to developmental disability than not.

DAS was issued. DS answered the questions and described the situation, and the CM responded "We can help with that."

That is interesting.. you are right I read somewhere that when guests get a return time they were given 10 minutes off the standby wait to compensate for having to wait the additional time in the lightening lane…
So to add 10 minutes seems a little silly if they have already subtracted 10 minutes 🤷🏼‍♀️

All true - it's time neutral is my point. eg: tap into ride. wait 10minutes; then get 10minutes deducted from ride selection = zero minutes.

So WHY program and more coding to the program. Simply remove the code of the -10minutes from book selection. Just more code to break.

That is interesting.. you are right I read somewhere that when guests get a return time they were given 10 minutes off the standby wait to compensate for having to wait the additional time in the lightening lane…
So to add 10 minutes seems a little silly if they have already subtracted 10 minutes 🤷🏼‍♀️
I think they will leave both because:
- taking 10 minutes off the wait is to compensate DAS users for waiting in for the Return Time and the wait in the Lightning Lane when they come back to the attraction. There are already people complaining that they are waiting extra because the LL is backed up. Changing that 10 minute rule would cause more complaints

- the 10 minute wait after scanning in is apparently to counter complaints from other guests about DAS users being able to 'wait in 2 lines)

It doesn't really matter if the 2 cancel each other out

Because a lot of people will not come back exactly at the same time. Just because your return time is 1 hour does not mean you come back at the one hour mark. And as a worker in IT, leave the code in and Disney can tweak that 10 mins to 20 mins if the desired effect is not attained.

Simple optics. 1) Just saying "DAS wait time is equal to the posted Return Time" makes it look like the DAS person has to wait longer. And 2) allowing DAS users to potentially schedule another ride while in the queue for the first ride looks like privilege.

So while both together have the same net impact, but by making it separate they have a response to 2 different complaints that may arise.

Simple optics. 1) Just saying "DAS wait time is equal to the posted Return Time" makes it look like the DAS person has to wait longer. And 2) allowing DAS users to potentially schedule another ride while in the queue for the first ride looks like privilege.

So while both together have the same net impact, but by making it separate they have a response to 2 different complaints that may arise.
Totally get that. Just silly IMHO.

Serves no purpose for the DAS holder and only complicates it for the holder and party to manage.

For the IT side of the house -- set the code to 0 minutes instead of making more code and complexity.

KIS is a mantra.

Well the point is you were able to get a new return time while still actively waiting to ride you were in still. I was a DAS user and I don't find an issue if it was 10 minutes later (that would be the time to board and ride the attraction and then request the new time) technically, you still gain the time it takes to walk over to the new attraction. It shouldn't impede anyone's day really, only an abuser's.

The 10 minutes taken off beforehand is a compensation for unfortunately still having to wait on average about 10 min in LL queues, so they minus that wait off the original standby line time. Does that make sense?

Now, could you theoretically drop the minusing 10 min off standby times and drop adding 10 min after a ride check in? Yes absolutely, it ends up working out to the same time, but they want to make things more confusing I guess lol

I’m not worried too much about the 10 minutes later wait after scanning. I normally did often choose another DAS while in the LL but it was more as a distraction of doing something to distract myself from everything while in the LL line. I’ll just scroll through Twitter or something. We’re not running ride to ride and I normally never make it to the ride for the starting return time anyways. I think most that need the DAS wouldn’t be affected by this new 10 minute pause after scanning. I do think it’s a smart addition to try and curb the appeal to abusers.

You mean like how I used my DAS to ride, meant to book another ride when I disembarked, but went to find a restroom first, then got distracted and sat in the shade eating a snack, received a text message to respond to, thought I should also check email while I was there, and so on until by the time I remembered to book my next ride, it had been 2 hours?! :rotfl: I like to imagine there’s a Crack Down on Abuse team looking at my usage history and shaking their heads in dismay at my absolutely abysmal record of using the accommodation efficiently. I’m not sure what the opposite is of gaining a huge advantage by using DAS, but that’s me most of the time! :wave: You’re welcome, Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter