• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I think they will leave both because:
- taking 10 minutes off the wait is to compensate DAS users for waiting in for the Return Time and the wait in the Lightning Lane when they come back to the attraction. There are already people complaining that they are waiting extra because the LL is backed up. Changing that 10 minute rule would cause more complaints

- the 10 minute wait after scanning in is apparently to counter complaints from other guests about DAS users being able to 'wait in 2 lines)

It doesn't really matter if the 2 cancel each other out
I very much agree with making DAS less attractive for those who don’t need it… and I think the 10 minutes is totally fair… just interesting that they cancel each other…but hopefully it helps as intended :)

I very much agree with making DAS less attractive for those who don’t need it… and I think the 10 minutes is totally fair… just interesting that they cancel each other…but hopefully it helps as intended :)
One thought - the 10 minute delay can help in case the wait time is updated. For example you use a Slinky return time and want to book ToT next. During your 10 minute delay one of the shafts breaks down, cutting capacity in half and causing the wait to double. By making you wait the 10 minutes, the standby time for your next attraction will be more up to date (and in this case your return time will be way later for ToT) when you exit the one you just redeemed.

I just think they should've given more notice. I don't buy the "plenty of notice" line. Disney World and Disneyland trips are sometimes planned a year in advance. Thousands of dollars were spent and were non-refundable before this change existed.
One of my children struggles with PTSD (as strange as it sounds, it has to do with access to bathrooms...long story), IBS, panic attack disorder, anxiety, and scoliosis. All these things combined make it very difficult to actively wait in line and be trapped in enclosed spaces for a long period of time.
I'm still hoping some flexibility is given outside of "developmental disorders." Our trip is scheduled for two days after the changes go into effect for Disneyland. We have been to Disney World countless times, but this will be our first trip to Disneyland. I'm hoping to find out more information with the change happening at Disney World first.

I'm in a very similar position to you and agree it isn't plenty of notice, despite how they want to spin and sell it to protect themselves.

I'm from the UK so have to book my trip a year in advance and we'll be coming over in late June/July to WDW and I'm not even looking forward to my trip anymore after all of this because I don't know what's happening, whether I still qualify or not and thus I'm paying thousands and thousands of pounds to have my trip ruined and there's nothing I can do about it without losing all of that money, which clearly isn't an option. I was about to book my 2025 Oct/Nov trip but I won't be now until things are more clear and I know I can still be accommodated properly.

I already know the "bathroom pass" checkpoint nonsense won't work for me or my needs but I doubt they even remotely care about that or the added stress it's putting on me now and my trip. I'm supposed to be looking forward to my holiday, not dreading and feeling like I've wasted an humongous chunk of money to sit around and not be able to ride anything with the rest my family ever.

I'm in a very similar position to you and agree it isn't plenty of notice, despite how they want to spin and sell it to protect themselves.

I'm from the UK so have to book my trip a year in advance and we'll be coming over in late June/July to WDW and I'm not even looking forward to my trip anymore after all of this because I don't know what's happening, whether I still qualify or not and thus I'm paying thousands and thousands of pounds to have my trip ruined and there's nothing I can do about it without losing all of that money, which clearly isn't an option. I was about to book my 2025 Oct/Nov trip but I won't be now until things are more clear and I know I can still be accommodated properly.

I already know the "bathroom pass" checkpoint nonsense won't work for me or my needs but I doubt they even remotely care about that or the added stress it's putting on me now and my trip. I'm supposed to be looking forward to my holiday, not dreading and feeling like I've wasted an humongous chunk of money to sit around and not be able to ride anything with the rest my family ever.
I have nothing to say to help except you're not alone. Hugs.

I really feel for you, and understand the anxiety… I would really urge you to talk to Disney, I don’t think they will expect guests with needs for accommodations to just suffer.
I really think they will work people to make sure they meet their needs to be able to enjoy the parks.

Just because the accommodations they give might not be called “DAS” doesn’t mean they won’t help :)

The cast member in my family said that what he has heard is that they are coming up with different ways to try to accommodate all who have challenges… while also keeping the LLs at a shorter more controlled capacity.

I sincerely hope you can enjoy the parks as you have before, and you have wonderful Disney trips in your future 🙂

Hey Andy, I tried to send you a private message, but as you are a new DIS member, this option is not available yet.

It totally sucks that they do not give the DAS options on the international websites. (And to have uneducated CMs who try to tell you to do it anyways). And it sucks even more that Disney blocks the US website for anyone not in the US. You always get rerouted to the EU website, also with incognito browser.

The only option we have is to use a VPN. I am from the Netherlands and signed up via the video call last weekend. No issues.

Disney says they cannot approve the use of a VPN, but they do not forbid it (because they can't). Therefore they don't give you this as an option.

The CM in the video call will not ask you where you are from, if you use a VPN. All they want to know is why you cannot stand in a conventional waiting line. For your own peace of mind and a less stressed start of your holiday, get a VPN and do the call on forehand.
Hi Karin1984
Thanks for your info and everyone else's comments, we are flying out on May 29 and will try the vpn .
Will let you know how we get on.
They make it so hard , Disney forget you're on holiday and a customer.

Thank you all

I don’t read it as the person with the disability isn’t riding. I read it as the person with the disabiility isn’t riding in the first group. So the person with the disability in that example still gets to ride without waiting in the standby queue.
That actually makes a lot of sense…
I reread it and I see what you are saying.. I really do hope they offer RS as an option because I think it could really be a viable option for larger DAS groups that may not qualify for the DAS but still need some accommodations.

I 100% understand and up until I just got the DAS yesterday was feeling exactly the same.
I will be in the park on 5/22 and plan to ask the blue umbrella CM's how exactly the bathroom swap thing is supposed to work for those with Crohn's and UC. It's not as simple as popping in and out of line and meeting back up with the family. I will report back! If you want, send me a direct message and I'm happy to make sure you get some answers when I do :-)

Just got off my video chat. Almost 2 hours from start to finish. The CM was very kind and patient while we explained my sons issues, (I guess he’d be considered “and similar”) and we were offered the DAS for our May 22-27 trip.

Things I noticed that might be different from the last time we did this:
• they linked terms and conditions I had to accept
• they linked a video/list of quiet places in each park that are less stimulating
• they explained that we cannot select a next ride until the current one is complete (I think this is a version of the 10 minute rule)
• we were not offered preselects
• they said it’s valid through end of our ticket dates

I’m not sure to be honest if this is the DAS as usual from previous trips, but I’ll report back once we use it.
I’ve been stressed about it and it put a bit of a cloud over the planning. I almost canceled at one point and I’m glad I didn’t.

Just got off my video chat. Almost 2 hours from start to finish. The CM was very kind and patient while we explained my sons issues, (I guess he’d be considered “and similar”) and we were offered the DAS for our May 22-27 trip.

• they linked a video/list of quiet places in each park that are less stimulating
• they explained that we cannot select a next ride until the current one is complete (I think this is a version of the 10 minute rule)

I’m not sure to be honest if this is the DAS as usual from previous trips, but I’ll report back once we use it.
I’ve been stressed about it and it put a bit of a cloud over the planning. I almost canceled at one point and I’m glad I didn’t.
By 2 hours, do you mean including the wait time to speak to a cast member or was that the length of the interview?

That's interesting considering pre-selects were offered to other guests. I'm guessing the changes won't be coming all at once on May 20th then and we'll see them unfold throughout the month.

Honestly, the pre-selects going away will help prevent abuse from those who don't need DAS so as I said before I'm all for it [plus they don't often work for folks as stated in the thread - sometimes they do, but a lot of times things can go unexpectedly!]

The pre selects going away should also speed up registration wait times in the long run. I know they can off load you to another CM for pre selects already, but the CM not having to explain and answer questions about another mechanic of DAS should reduce the video chat time. Then again, that time may just go back into a more thorough interview process or explaining the other accommodations.

As I’m typing this, I’m wondering if they are doing away with the pre selects because guests simply aren’t using them. I’ve only done pre selects at registration twice and didn’t even use most of them at the park. It probably was more trouble to implement than it was worth.

More speculation as I’m typing! Disney’s whole reasoning for this is to reduce the amount of people in the LL. If one of your pre select rides go down, you will get a free LL for any ride (except for the top tier ones). All those people who weren’t even going to redeem their pre select can now use it on any ride they want. This could be especially advantageous to a guest if they had booked something they didn’t want to ride because it was the only thing left and often has a low wait time, like The Little Mermaid, and instead uses it on Thunder Mountain.

That's interesting considering pre-selects were offered to other guests. I'm guessing the changes won't be coming all at once on May 20th then and we'll see them unfold throughout the month.
I believe the reports I read this weekend that were offered Advanced Selections had trips starting May 19th, 20th or 21st. Possibly the 21st is a cut-off date? Early information seemed to indicate no more Advanced Selections. Then the wording changed on the website and it's been a bit of a gray area -- whether they may or may not be offered.

Start to finish! Actual interview was maybe 20 min- including the time they gave me time to read/watch the links

Did you just talk to one cm or did they transfer you to a second one? I'm glad to hear you have a weight off of your shoulders. I took an stressed and worried as well

I swear at one point (at least on the DLR website) they were saying something to the affect that pre-selects would no longer be guaranteed for every DAS-Holder but an additional accommodation that they have to offer in certain circumstances.

Of course now that they’ve updated the website to remove the mention of pre-selects, I can’t confirm if this was true or not and I didn’t screen shot at the time because I didn’t think the website would be changed this much 🙈

BUT if true, I think the thing to do would be exactly what they did…remove all mention of pre-selects so that people don’t expect to receive them and/or ask for them. This would also get rid of people abusing the system FOR pre-selects. They could still have them available as something to offer for certain needs but not an automatic offering just because the guest qualifies for DAS. Without going into detail, someone who needs to have a plan for their day.

Honestly, the pre-selects going away will help prevent abuse from those who don't need DAS so as I said before I'm all for it [plus they don't often work for folks as stated in the thread - sometimes they do, but a lot of times things can go unexpectedly!]
Yeah, we’ve rarely made the pre selected rides in time when they were offered. I figured the CM made a judgement call that we shouldn’t have them and that’s fair by me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter