DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Do we know what length of time they're approving DAS for before the switch in May? If you go before May 20 are you getting 30 or 60 day approval?
At one point this week I read 30 days, but WDW has been playing with the website all week and I haven’t checked today.

ETA:
Please note: Guests visiting now through May 19, 2024, DAS is valid for up to 30 days.

Last edited:
part of me thinks the GAC and DAS were also set up as a way to provide a bit of special magic to people with special needs--in the same way that they do for Wish kids or special needs travel groups. It certainly has been that way for us.
I agree with you overall. For me it's not that I think they designed these programs to provide more "magic" but that their parks are by far more accommodating to a wider array of guests which makes it a very attractive vacation destination for all sorts of traveling parties from ones with mobility needs to cognitive disorder needs to height restriction issues and level of "thrill" to dietary needs and allergies. And with that comes an attempt to weigh that out with the general public who may not have any of those apply to them. I think because they have attracted so many for quite some time as some have alluded to it might be causing a strain on their balance to provide an experience for everyone (not the first time as has already been discussed).

My local park allows for free by a certain date to add on to someone's highest tier season pass (outside of the add on for all Cedar Fair parks) a pre-K pass for kids aged 3-5. Disney may give a break to kids aged 3-9 on daily ticket pricing but doesn't have this type of pass like my local park does certainly not for free. However, my local park will have more limited options for young kids be it height restrictions or type of attraction and Disney has overall a lot more available to younger kids.

New for the 2024 season for my local park is a season pass you can purchase for kids aged 3-8 or older individuals aged 62+ which leads me to believe they are wanting to increase attendance towards these groups understanding the more limited ride options available to them once in the park. On the other hand they do not have special daily ticket pricing for kids (though they do have a family bundle ticket you can purchase) and Disney does (matching how Disney is an attractive destination for young kids).

And reading through their guide for my local park they in some aspects have less policies that apply only to those with disabilities (mobile or cognitive) and instead options available to all guests irrespective of disabilities which I think matches the realistic aspect of their park such that there is only so much they can do to accommodate a particular segment of the population. The guide was actually very specific towards injuries (like a cast) or prosthetics including how many limbs someone needs to have depending on the park something of which I've never read had such explicit detail for a Disney park likely because they probably have more options than many parks for this situation.

This even extends to wheelchairs where my local park states "wheelchairs and ECV's cannot be accommodated on most rides and attractions" listing the railroad as one of the exceptions where 1 wheelchair is able to be accommodated. Disney may have attractions where you need to transfer out of a wheelchair but they also have a lot more available for guests in wheelchairs to be accommodated on the ride without transferring (what immediately comes to mind is special boats and why there was a lot of criticism towards Navi not having one).

Just to clarify because several posts have mention “under 5”… Disney requires a child to be 7 yrs old to enter a queue or wait for their party alone.

Under 7 must be accompanied by age 14+ at all times.
Ages 7-13 can ride alone but must have someone 14+ within the park.
Age 14+ can enter the park alone and do attractions alone.
Obviously, it is up to individual families to determine a child’s ability to safely do any of these things.
Good point to clarify. I was posting 5 as an example scenario, not attempting to state Disney's rules on the matter (though providing an example that is consistent with the rule).

I don't think that bringing another person is a reasonable alternative. It is certainly an expensive one, if one has to pay, at minimum, for park entrance. That's why many organizations in Europe may charge the disabled person an entrance fee but discount their assistant.

A couple thoughts -

Not every family has multiple adults. Many families are single parent folks, so the rider swap option would likely be problematic. In our case, there is one parent, the DAS user, and a freshly 18 year old who due to diagnosed anxiety and other issues would not be ok waiting in the standby line alone. Some posters are blessed with multiple adults, but many aren't, and that's an extra layer.

Providing medical data...PRIVACY concerns for sure. Another poster mentioned getting tons of spam after registering for Universals system. We had the same experience. Could it have been coincidence? Maybe...but recently a medical provider of ours had a data breach, and within 48 hours, there were DOZENS of credit card applications made in our names, which we caught via a credit monitoring system. That part terrifies me. I get they won't have SSNs, but that still makes me very nervous.

Has he tried loop earplugs? I’ve graduated my 9 yo to them.

No. I don't really want him to realize things can go inside his ears.

I bought Loop earplugs for myself because I have misophonia but I found they don't block enough sound for me.

When you're a group of 3 and your child needs assistance from both parents - yes, it does. again, I'd explain further but then it could be info used to exploit the system. But for a variety of reasons, this is an issue for our family when doing vacations or bigger/longer outings.

We have a similar issue here. Rider swap wouldn't work for us.

I was in the process of looking up why my regional/local amusement park does which is owned and operated by Cedar Fair before you made your comment so that's interesting what you mentioned.

For my local park their 2023 guide (which is the most recent one available as they aren't open yet for the 2024 season) doesn't mention allowing any additional guests. Their website and 2023 guide just says "The guest with a mobility restriction or cognitive impairment should visit Guest Services upon their arrival at the park to express their inability to wait in the regular line. Some questions are asked to ensure that the rider has the required physical criteria in order to safely experience attractions. Following that conversation, the Guest Services Associate will provide the details needed to participate in the program."

It's possible that once you get there in the parks their standard is up to 3 additional people but I haven't found it written anywhere for the explicit need of their version of DAS and applied unilaterally to all locations.

They do discuss Supervising Companion which is designated for a variety of situations (lap babies, doesn't meet the required height to ride alone but could with another guest who meets the definition of Supervising Companion, guests who do not have an appropriate center of gravity or demonstrate appropriate observed behavior which was specifically mentioned for a specific ride, etc) and says "The Supervising Companion must be seated in the same seat (row) as the Rider who needs accompaniment and can accompany the number of Riders for which the seat is designed. For example, if a seat is designed for three people, the Supervising Companion can accompany two Riders". But that is applied to all guests.

As far as Rider Swap like has been discussed that is more clearly spelled out for my local park and while also meant for expected situations for all guests it's actually also specifically listed under autism "We also offer Rider Swap. This allows one guest to ride while another guest waits with the guest who did not ride. When the ride is complete, the guests swap responsibility at the exit." Rider Swap doesn't appear to allow additional individuals even under autism, however reading through if the attraction fell under a Supervising Companion situation that appears to allow for additional riders up to how much a seat accommodates (with an exception listed for a particular ride or two which allows for separate seating). Rider Swap is also specifically listed for people using service animals when the attraction or area (like during Halloween events) prohibits the service animal from being on the attraction or in that area. However, again Supervising Companion is applicable to all guests rather than an accommodation only for those with disabilities.

I do think you may have situations where a company has a policy that is dependent on location. We already know that California laws for example means there may be policy differences for DLR compared to WDW.
We have been decades long season passholders at our local cedar fair park.

Their paper pass reminds me more of Universals. Limit of 4 total; they don't care who. Since lines there are almost all outside and direct sunlight and quite long, it's been a lifesaver since diagnosis. But not electronic or streamlined like the DAS.

Since lines there are almost all outside and direct sunlight and quite long,
Which is a decent point. You know how you get memories attached to smells? My memory of asphalt, hot paving asphalt to be exact, is directly tied to my local park going as a kid because that is most of what the pathways are made out of and while there is shade there are also quite exposed areas too.

Not Cedar Fair but for Silver Dollar City, mentioned many pages ago, it has a lot of trees that shade you, steep inclines and such but we were there when it was 105-108 outside in the MO Ozarks in July and while hot the abundance of trees and natural shade made a lot of difference.

Lots of conversations about what Disney may or may not be able to see from your historical visits. Also lots of conversation about what abuse of the system looks like.

We all wear our old school magic bands the whole trip. What Disney could clearly see (that may not be on everyone's radar) is that our visits used to be 8 days or more pre diagnosis, and they are now 3 to 5 days max, with some 1 or 2 day trips to accommodate our new normal. They might also see many, many trips adjusted where my DAS Holder didn't come at all, or wasn't able to join us at the parks due to a medically bad day. They would also see that my 18 year old (non DAS but other issues that have largely been accomodated by his siblings DAS) has never been alone in a park or alone in a line. They would also maybe be able to see that we typically have 20 to 30 bathroom visits per day; and lots of sitting and breaks in specific places.

They would also see that my DAS Holder has never had the luxury of being solo anywhere...despite a fiercely independent spirit. So I guess I hope they can see what we've been doing?

Last edited:
This is not directed at you but using your comment to ask the greater audience ~

WHERE has Disney directly shared this information?? I ask because several sources are making comments including "4" and "immediate family" but they all seem to interpret it differently, including what immediate family means. I know what I have sourced as it meaning but lots of folks think differently. Some said 4 is the number period, some say 4 is only the number if non-related, which is sad because some "families" are not related. Very little clarity here.

I read it from a few sources, not Disney. I think the most reliable one was Undercover Tourist under disabilities for both
Disney World and Disneyland.

Which is a decent point. You know how you get memories attached to smells? My memory of asphalt, hot paving asphalt to be exact, is directly tied to my local park going as a kid because that is most of what the pathways are made out of and while there is shade there are also quite exposed areas too.

Not Cedar Fair but for Silver Dollar City, mentioned many pages ago, it has a lot of trees that shade you, steep inclines and such but we were there when it was 105-108 outside in the MO Ozarks in July and while hot the abundance of trees and natural shade made a lot of difference.
My Cedar Point memory smell is Happy Friar French fries (in 50+ years, still the world's best fries), Lake Erie water smell 🙂, and fudge by the entrance.

Because we are local, most of our trips there anymore are a walk on the beach, one coaster, one "little" ride, and a "free" meal from our meal plan. New normal..

The difference is thats a 30 minute drive for a few $ of gas; Disney is an out of state flight, resorts, etc. Hoping for some better communication and process for all of us.

I am starting to stress out about our June trip. If I have a bathroom emergency then stopping to speak to a cast member to get a LL or some other pass will not work. Previously I’ve quickly left the line and my travelling companion spoke to them at the LL exit and since my DAS was already noted I had no problem getting back in the LL line
I'm not claiming to know how these changes will be implemented, just sharing my own experiences from past trips. I was always in standby lines so I can certainly see how it might be faster in a LL to just leave without flagging down a CM. In standby, I wasn't about to push my way through a huge line of people. I personally never had a problem finding a CM and felt it was actually beneficial as they could get me out of line the quickest and knew where the closest bathroom, drink stand, etc was if I specifically stated my need. Sometimes in terms of bathrooms, it was one I didn't know existed/wasn't on park maps, so definitely quicker than had I tried to exit the line on my own and find one.

I get the law aspect, and why universal brought in a third party. So that makes it trickier, I just don't agree forgery etc would be a huge issue
As has been pointed out already, getting documentation isn't always the easiest here. Beyond that, getting documentation that meets the requirements can be even more difficult, which could entice those with valid disabilities into forgery. Many doctors here won't provide documentation- there are stories online of doctors not wanting to provide letters for Universal due to privacy concerns, being advised by dept heads not to, just not feeling comfortable doing so, etc. Many of those that do write letters have stated they won't verify if contacted due to privacy concerns or won't give direct phone numbers or emails. All of those things could encourage a legitimately disabled person to forge something in order to meet documentation reqs.

I was in the process of looking up why my regional/local amusement park does which is owned and operated by Cedar Fair before you made your comment so that's interesting what you mentioned.

It's possible that once you get there in the parks their standard is up to 3 additional people but I haven't found it written anywhere for the explicit need of their version of DAS and applied unilaterally to all locations.
For Cedar Point, at least several years ago when I last went, they marked on the paper pass how many were in your party up to 4, with you included. I will say, their system needs some serious improvement. I needed to avoid stairs (no wheelchair, just can't step up) which are not in every queue, yet there was no info on which queues had stairs other than "ask at the entrance to the line." I was told you could not use the alternate entrance to avoid stairs without the pass, but the pass was technically good for all rides, regardless of whether they had stairs or not. Also, for two rides, the alternate entrance I was sent to with the pass had stairs, so I had to backtrack to ask specifically for the elevator access. It was honestly just a mess and very ripe for abuse/misuse.

So, I just got an email back from the Disneyland side

Thank you for your message to the Disneyland Resort regarding services for Guests with disabilities. I want to assure you we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive environment and accessible experience for all our Guests.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments. I am available next Monday through Friday between 9:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. PT. Please respond with your telephone number and the best time to call as a reply to this message, and I will be happy to contact you. I will be calling from the telephone number (714) 781-xxxx (I blocked out the last 4 for privacy, but all know Disneyland numbers start with 714-781) – it may be helpful to mark this number as a safe caller to avoid our call being labeled as spam.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kindest Regards,

Daniela Shelby
Guest Correspondence
Disneyland Resort

I am trying to setup a call for sometime Monday, so we will see how it will go and what information I can get out of the person.

And that is indeed part of the problem, for example someone with limited vision. Under the old GAC system, there was a stamp that told the CMs that was the issue. Attractions with well lit queues or outdoor queues, especially during the day were not an issue or some queues not an issue until a certain point while other queues were problematic. So, that stamp was applied differently at each attraction and maybe even differently at night than during the day at the same Attraction. For example, in a dimly lit queue, a cast.member would use a flashlight to guide the guest and their party, obviously they weren't going to have the CM go through and wait in the standby queue with the guest and their party, so at those attractions, they would go through the alternate entrance. For the well lit/outdoor queues, they would go through the standard standby queue unless they also had other needs (i.e. avoid stairs) that would prohibit it. When they changed to a DAS system, those with low vision were supposed to simply be able to inform the CM at each attraction of the issue an get accommodated appropriately, unfortunately, this did mean constantly explaining needs throughout the day and many CMs refused to accommodate, so Disney ended up relenting and giving them a DAS because what can you do? This means that now those with low vision have a DAS and are going to be more.lokwly to use it on every attraction, even though it may not be needed on some attractions. Now some with low vision may or may not know which attractions it would be needed on, with the GAC system, the CMs could help with that if they didn't know, with the DAS, not so much, as a result, you end up with the person just being more likely to get a return time for everything to be safe. Please note this comes from DH talking with people who have low vision that have used both systems over the years and greatly preferred the GAC when it functioned as originally intended.

Perhaps they can setup the system where return times can be issued for attractions that the person would need it for, but not allow it for other attractions. For example, if a person needs shady place to wait, then you don't need for attractions where the queues are entirely indoors like Soarin' at EPCOT (at DCA, you still might since a large part of that queue is outdoors), but then there are other queues that are mostly or completely outside where you would need it. A similar concept could be used for those with low vision. I don't know if they will do this, but it could be done and would reduce the number of people coming into the lightning lanes.
One thing I don't understand is why the queues are so dark at WDW. My Father-in-Law had eye issues that had to do with switching from light to dark and seeing in dim light. Some of the lines were really hard for him. (I get Nemo and Little Mermaid are under the sea. But, does it have to be sooooo dark!
And Haunted Mansion loading area in Paris is not as dark as WDW and is still plenty spooky.

They should have technology that can help 'navigate' questions and concerns about things like lighting in lines.
Do we know what length of time they're approving DAS for before the switch in May? If you go before May 20 are you getting 30 or 60 day approval?
The website says this:
Please Note: For Guests visiting from now through May 19, 2024, DAS is valid for 30 days.

It’s just how the law works in the US. I agree it would cut down on abuse.
The ADA says businesses cannot demand medical diagnosis or proof thereof. It says nothing about someone volunteering this info. IMO, this would help. Some say it could be cheated and I'm sure it could but it might help those who really need DAS. Someone could figure a way to make it harder for cheaters.
Sad thing is with Disney's new Das, the cheaters will continue to get it because they lack a conscience.

We all wear our old school magic bands the whole trip. What Disney could clearly see …
I highly doubt they have that level of detail on any individual. Some of that may well be collected along with others’ info to arrive at daily/weekly/monthly averages or such, but it is like several layers deep within the analytics that they could accurately pull it out for a specific individual. Not impossible to dig out but not exactly easy.

The ADA says businesses cannot demand medical diagnosis or proof thereof. It says nothing about someone volunteering this info. IMO, this would help. Some say it could be cheated and I'm sure it could but it might help those who really need DAS. Someone could figure a way to make it harder for cheaters.
Sad thing is with Disney's new Das, the cheaters will continue to get it because they lack a conscience.
Look at it this way though, is it fair where the information can be voluntarily provided and thereby guests gain a potential advantage by doing so compared to someone who is not willing (through many reasons) to provide such documentation?

That could be another potential lawsuit as someone argues their unwillingness to share personal medication information creates a disadvantage over someone who does--not saying someone would win a lawsuit but just that your frame of mind is focused on how it may help some people with obtaining a DAS pass when it can equally harm others who do not want to.

A requirement for all levels it all out in that sense or a non-requirement for all levels that out.

The ADA says businesses cannot demand medical diagnosis or proof thereof. It says nothing about someone volunteering this info.
But what you suggest is not “volunteering” unless there is a way to obtain accommodations without volunteering that info. And I don’t believe I would trust Disney IT with PHI — there are regulations about collecting and storing such data.

To deny a benefit to someone who does not disclose information but to grant the benefit to someone who does is the same as requiring disclosure to receive the benefit. This disclosure requirement is explicitly prohibited under the ADA.

I, for one. am not especially interested in telling a stranger who has not entered into a privacy/confidentiality agreement with me my full name, credit card info, and details about my disabling condition That would make identity theft oh so easy.

I highly doubt they have that level of detail on any individual. Some of that may well be collected along with others’ info to arrive at daily/weekly/monthly averages or such, but it is like several layers deep within the analytics that they could accurately pull it out for a specific individual. Not impossible to dig out but not exactly easy.
DH and I have been told by those in the know that they actually have data about how much time you spend at each location in the park on a individual basis within about a 50 to 100 foot radius depending on the area of the park. This data is supposed to be used in an aggregated manner, but the data on the individual does exist, MagicBand+ can pinpoint to about 25 foot radius. If you have background location enabled on your phone and the app installed, then they can pinpoint you to about a 2 foot radius and yes, the data is recorded. Even if it were buried several layers deep, it would take less than 1 minute to dig out these days, of course that is assuming Disney's IT department was competent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter