DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

But what you suggest is not “volunteering” unless there is a way to obtain accommodations without volunteering that info. And I don’t believe I would trust Disney IT with PHI — there are regulations about collecting and storing such data.
Most regulations specific to health info apply to HIPAA Covered Entities, their Buisness Associates, and government. Whether consumer protection laws apply to health information that is not explicitly in scope of those laws is largely untested in court.

Look at it this way though, is it fair where the information can be voluntarily provided and thereby guests gain a potential advantage by doing so compared to someone who is not willing (through many reasons) to provide such documentation?

That could be another potential lawsuit as someone argues their unwillingness to share personal medication information creates a disadvantage over someone who does--not saying someone would win a lawsuit but just that your frame of mind is focused on how it may help some people with obtaining a DAS pass when it can equally harm others who do not want to.

A requirement for all levels it all out in that sense or a non-requirement for all levels that out.
Anything can be a lawsuit and I'm waiting to see when one will be brought after these DAS changes. For instance, someone with my condition who is denied DAS and then while in line their legs collapse, they fall and hit their heads or break a bone, etc. - wide open for lawsuit and this besides those that will state that Disney is offering unequal accommodation. Note, I would not sue because the Disney behemoth can outlast most with their $$$$. Class action though can last a lot longer than an individual.

I highly doubt they have that level of detail on any individual. Some of that may well be collected along with others’ info to arrive at daily/weekly/monthly averages or such, but it is like several layers deep within the analytics that they could accurately pull it out for a specific individual. Not impossible to dig out but not exactly easy.
Because of California privacy regulations, Disney is required to provide California residents, upon request, with a copy of all personal information that Disney has collected on them ... so naturally I asked for mine. It had a an easily-accessible copy of every ping that my Magic Band made while walking around WDW for the 2 year period prior to my request--time-stamped entries like "SWGE: Land Entry", "HS Guest Flow", and every attraction I visited and most of the restaurants and shops I entered regardless of whether or not I made a purchase or tapped my band for entry.

Now, a) converting that individualized data into actionable intelligence takes some work, and b) a non-trivial percentage of visitors still don't use magic bands (especially now that they cost money even for on-site guests), but it's clear to me that the data is there and readily accessible in varying forms in their CRM or data warehouse.

Because of California privacy regulations, Disney is required to provide California residents, upon request, with a copy of all personal information that Disney has collected on them ... so naturally I asked for mine. It had a an easily-accessible copy of every ping that my Magic Band made while walking around WDW for the 2 year period prior to my request--time-stamped entries like "SWGE: Land Entry", "HS Guest Flow", and every attraction I visited and most of the restaurants and shops I entered regardless of whether or not I made a purchase or tapped my band for entry.

Now, a) converting that individualized data into actionable intelligence takes some work, and b) a non-trivial percentage of visitors still don't use magic bands (especially now that they cost money even for on-site guests), but it's clear to me that the data is there and readily accessible in varying forms in their CRM or data warehouse.
This is interesting. I wonder if FL's Sunshine Laws would apply for WDW???

But what you suggest is not “volunteering” unless there is a way to obtain accommodations without volunteering that info. And I don’t believe I would trust Disney IT with PHI — there are regulations about collecting and storing such data.
Of course those who choose not to volunteer would have to be granted accommodations if needed. It wuld just be 1 step those who are interested could take not must take.

Anything can be a lawsuit and I'm waiting to see when one will be brought after these DAS changes. For instance, someone with my condition who is denied DAS and then while in line their legs collapse, they fall and hit their heads or break a bone, etc. - wide open for lawsuit and this besides those that will state that Disney is offering unequal accommodation. Note, I would not sue because the Disney behemoth can outlast most with their $$$$. Class action though can last a lot longer than an individual.
True…the last one lasted 10 years or so, and Disney won hands down.

Of course those who choose not to volunteer would have to be granted accommodations if needed. It wuld just be 1 step those who are interested could take not must take.
But if the same accommodation is available without volunteering such info — what is the point of volunteering it? I must be missing something. Are you suggesting a tiered system of accommodations?

But if the same accommodation is available without volunteering such info — what is the point of volunteering it? I must be missing something. Are you suggesting a tiered system of accommodations?
No, I'm suggesting that volunteering info would streamline the process.

For instance, someone with my condition who is denied DAS and then while in line their legs collapse, they fall and hit their heads or break a bone, etc.
Maybe that isn’t the best example… if there is a chance your condition might cause your legs to collapse, DAS is not the accommodation anyway. That is considered a mobility or stamina need and a wheelchair or other mobility device is recommended, though I believe the new rules also include a cane-seat as an option.

It wouldn't be hard to simply ask ChatGPT, does this data suggest someone that is abusing the spirit of Disney's Accessibility system? It would spit back in under one minute with a yes or no and why.

It wouldn't be hard to simply ask ChatGPT, does this data suggest someone that is abusing the spirit of Disney's Accessibility system? It would spit back in under one minute with a yes or no and why.

ChatGPT is not a reliable aggregator of any information. It will occasionally make up data that doesn't exist in order to spit out the answer to a prompt.

Maybe that isn’t the best example… if there is a chance your condition might cause your legs to collapse, DAS is not the accommodation anyway. That is considered a mobility or stamina need and a wheelchair or other mobility device is recommended, though I believe the new rules also include a cane-seat as an option.
nvm

Last edited:
Most regulations specific to health info apply to HIPAA Covered Entities, their Buisness Associates, and government. Whether consumer protection laws apply to health information that is not explicitly in scope of those laws is largely untested in court.
I don't think Disney is going to take any chances on a possible privacy lawsuit. The basic idea being 'if you collect the information, you own the need to keep it private'
I'm a Health Care Worker and very familiar with what HIPAA covers
I thought I saw that too, but can't find it now.
I did see one bit on the 'Stroller As Wheelchair' I thought was interesting. I bolded the new part. I have read posts from people who did get it for that reason, but never saw it on the website before:

A “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag is for Guests with disabilities who use their stroller as a mobility device. This tool allows a Guest to treat their stroller as a wheelchair and keep their device with them in attraction queues.

“Stroller as a Wheelchair” tags are available for a Guest who meets one of the following:
  • Is a child with a disability who uses their stroller as a mobility device in lieu of a traditional wheelchair
  • Is a child with additional medical equipment who needs a way to transport their equipment while in a queue
  • Is an adult with a mobility disability who uses a stroller as a mobility device to assist with walking

One thing I don't understand is why the queues are so dark at WDW. My Father-in-Law had eye issues that had to do with switching from light to dark and seeing in dim light. Some of the lines were really hard for him. (I get Nemo and Little Mermaid are under the sea. But, does it have to be sooooo dark!
And Haunted Mansion loading area in Paris is not as dark as WDW and is still plenty spooky.

They should have technology that can help 'navigate' questions and concerns about things like lighting in lines.

The website says this:
Please Note: For Guests visiting from now through May 19, 2024, DAS is valid for 30 days.
So true! I have a hereditary eye disease (very similar to macular degeneration) that makes just looking at different light sources (e.e. I'm looking at my computer screen and then look up to talk to someone, when I look back at the screen, I'm literally blind and can't read anything on the screen for about a minute). Driving at night is now something I just can't do. Going into HM and pirates are probably the worst for me. I think pirates is crazy dark in the queue!

ChatGPT is not a reliable aggregator of any information. It will occasionally make up data that doesn't exist in order to spit out the answer to a prompt.
It was an example, there are other AIs that are better yes, but if I named them most wouldn't know what I am talking about.

A couple thoughts -

Not every family has multiple adults. Many families are single parent folks, so the rider swap option would likely be problematic. In our case, there is one parent, the DAS user, and a freshly 18 year old who due to diagnosed anxiety and other issues would not be ok waiting in the standby line alone. Some posters are blessed with multiple adults, but many aren't, and that's an extra layer.

Providing medical data...PRIVACY concerns for sure. Another poster mentioned getting tons of spam after registering for Universals system. We had the same experience. Could it have been coincidence? Maybe...but recently a medical provider of ours had a data breach, and within 48 hours, there were DOZENS of credit card applications made in our names, which we caught via a credit monitoring system. That part terrifies me. I get they won't have SSNs, but that still makes me very nervous.
The Rider Swap thing goes back to an issue I’ve had to bring up to Guest Services multiple times. (Usually in relation to location of lines at DLs after hours events last year when I went). Not all disabled folk travel with a party. And even when we do that doesn’t mean one of us is going to be able bodied.

You can’t just assume that we can have someone else there who can act as a placeholder. Some of us are independent with our disabilities.

And I thought we were making some headway with getting them to realize this at least at DL. Because I know at least at a couple of the Star Wars nites they had started instituting return times for some of the characters for disabled party goers

But apparently not if we’re having to have this discussion again.

So true! I have a hereditary eye disease (very similar to macular degeneration) that makes just looking at different light sources (e.e. I'm looking at my computer screen and then look up to talk to someone, when I look back at the screen, I'm literally blind and can't read anything on the screen for about a minute). Driving at night is now something I just can't do. Going into HM and pirates are probably the worst for me. I think pirates is crazy dark in the queue!
I have normal vision and I even struggle with HMs queue. I get HM is for the ambience but especially at DL I’m always afraid of bumping into someone despite my best efforts. I can only imagine what the struggles for someone whose VI deals with in that queue.

Well yes literally anything can bring on a lawsuit, that's why we have the legal options we have (filing a lawsuit and it going through the system to the endpoint aren't the same though). But as far as what Disney (or any large company with deep legal pockets does) they typically try to proactively arm themselves against that. Does it always work? No. But neither do they always lose their lawsuit either (in part because they typically are proactive about things).

Your example of being denied DAS and then collapsing is probably covered under the liability conditions of admittance to Disney's parks (note this isn't legal advice). If you make the decision to continue being in the park that could be argued to be your choice after you've been informed your condition doesn't qualify for DAS even more so if Disney offered another option for you and you simply found that unsatisfactory to you personally (again this isn't legal advice). I believe you were trying to go for being denied DAS when you don't believe you should be but the burden of that will fall on the plaintiff to prove Disney should have approved DAS for that person.

But the bigger part of your suggestion (which like I said to another poster I get wanting to provide that to increase your chances of getting DAS) what you're suggesting would undoubtly create an unfair system within DAS solely based on one's willingness to share/provide personal medical information. And that IMO would have a high chance of a lawsuit. If the requirement (or non-requirement) is the same for all it removes at least a claim of unfairness based on one's voluntary action.

I don't think Disney is going to take any chances on a possible privacy lawsuit. The basic idea being 'if you collect the information, you own the need to keep it private'
I'm a Health Care Worker and very familiar with what HIPAA covers

I thought I saw that too, but can't find it now.
I did see one bit on the 'Stroller As Wheelchair' I thought was interesting. I bolded the new part. I have read posts from people who did get it for that reason, but never saw it on the website before:

A “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag is for Guests with disabilities who use their stroller as a mobility device. This tool allows a Guest to treat their stroller as a wheelchair and keep their device with them in attraction queues.

“Stroller as a Wheelchair” tags are available for a Guest who meets one of the following:
  • Is a child with a disability who uses their stroller as a mobility device in lieu of a traditional wheelchair
  • Is a child with additional medical equipment who needs a way to transport their equipment while in a queue
  • Is an adult with a mobility disability who uses a stroller as a mobility device to assist with walking
That is good they are spelling that out, DHs mom used to use his brother's stroller as a walker and was almost denied this accommodation, so that should eliminate that issue.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter